Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Spiral

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It’s not a random rumour. Adachi-san assured me that it was real.

Really? You believe his bullshit about German gold hidden here after the war? Get real.
Really? German gold? :lol:

Is there a nazi submarine parked in the hospital pool? Were the differently colored tiles a part of its hull? :M

Director Dr. Maeda Keiji
Keiji_Maeda_(NAIT).png
Well, that is interesting. The list of actors is more tightly packed than I even realized. It makes sense, though. Now I am sure that Maedas' downfall and Shinoharas' rise are interconnected.

You pause. You recall talking about Kaimei Hospital with Amanozaki. The story that she told you does not appear to match up with what was written in the article you just read. There are similarities, here and there – deaths, the director being the arsonist, a paediatrics ward – but the differences are quite jarring.

First and foremost being that the hospital is still standing a month after the fire according to the article, while Amanozaki claimed that it had burnt down to the ground on the night of the fire itself.

Did she lie, or embellish the story?

Or is the article wrong?
Well, that one is easy. One should keep in mind than Amanozaki is just an amateur who treats occult more as a hobby than a legitimate line of work. You can't expect her to do actual research on this stuff, unlike Sakaki or Hidekata.

The story told by Amanozaki already has elements indicating that it is based on rumors and hearsay. For example, it mentions the director having an affair with the nurse, but if it is Uehara we are talking about, we can be quite certain that no such thing took place and that she was involved with Juuzo (?) instead. It is likely that the rumors confused several facts and the gossiping did the rest.

The arson likely did happen, and it should have been a major event that people would remember. What happened to the hospital later paled in comparison to such a crime. I assume it was closed down and then demolished after yet another incident. The first and the last links of the logical chain are still there: arson -> scandal -> closure -> no more hospital, but the rumors have likely skipped the 'less important' parts after a few decades, so the story became that the hospital has burned down. Since the media attempts to cover the story were suppressed by the Kaimei group, it was an easy one to forget.

I am not sure why this might be important, though. Are there clues left in Kaimei that we are supposed to find?

Hmmm... if there was no fire in the garden, could the Juunimon tree still be standing in 2014?

As for the current choice... are we a pimp or what? Follow the high-heels! A! :hero:

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
File: Newspaper Clipping (28th May 1979)

May 28, 1979

CURSED HOSPITAL SHUT DOWN

The Kaimei Group has announced that the Kaimei Hospital will cease operations at the end of the week.

Following a high profile murder case 3 years ago, a series of fatal accidents and disappearances have troubled the once popular medical institution. The final blow came just last month, when Hospital Director Maeda Keiji (62) reportedly set fire to the paediatrics ward after chaining up the exit. A nationwide manhunt is still underway for Director Maeda, who has now been missing for three weeks.

The victims’ families are currently engaged in legal action against the Kaimei Group for negligence, insisting that the influential zaibatsu take responsibility for the incidents in the hospital.

There is a colour photograph of the hospital's front facade, taken in better days. Someone has messily coloured in all of the windows on the photo with black ink.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
A - Maeda
B - Mitsuki
C - Witch
D - Nobody

B>D>A

Nevill

Arcane
Did Mitsuki ever wear sneakers?

Do the footprints even belong to our people, or to the ghosts of the past? Case in point:
The last ward lies before you. Ward 212, one of the VIP wards located on this floor. The door opens with a gentle creak, swinging back to allow you entry. This is a room with its own dedicated bathroom and a separate living area for guests, where comfortable couches face a large television. There is only a single bed in the ward.

The covers of the bed are pulled up fully, over a vague bulge that could be a sleeping person.

The bulge moves gently, slightly, up and down, as if breathing.

Suddenly, you hear footsteps walking – no, tottering past the door behind you, a pair of high heels making a loud and unsteady clacking noise. You whirl around to face the closed door, but just as you do so, you spot movement out of the corner of your eye.

When you turn back, the mysterious bulge has flattened. The bed is flat and cleanly made, as if it were never there. Had you just been imagining it? The footsteps too? Maybe. You are unsure.
And the basement (D) was implied to be haunted. Quite possibly that is where the missing patients have ended, one way or another.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Current tally:

A - 5
B - 1
C - 5
F - 2

Post-flop:

A - 6
C - 6
F - 1

Hm, I'll check back next Monday.

Tigranes

Arcane
A. I'll go with that mention of windows blotted out in the newspaper clipping.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The Kaimei Museum

The moth-eaten curtains flutter weakly, brushing lightly against your arm as you travel down the corridor. The moon is shining down on a large garden, just outside the windows. From here you can see a twisted, aged tree, its pink petals the only sign of bright colour amongst the faded greys of the hospital. The Juunimon. It exists here, as well… but you have no urge to approach it any more than is necessary.

Turning your attention back to the footprints, you continue to follow them: a man and a woman has passed this way. From the distance between the steps, they were not in a hurry. They moved cautiously, perhaps hesitantly. Were they afraid? This makes it more likely that the people you are following are alive – possibly amongst those trapped in the hospital, together with you – and not some ghostly apparition out to lure you to your doom.

Probably.

It’s hard to be sure of anything anymore.

You reach the end of the tracks: they turn off to your left, leading under a door. There is a sign nailed proudly on the door:

Kaimei Hospital Museum

A museum? You wonder what a hospital would need with a museum. As you stretch your hand out, reaching for the door, a sudden headache seizes you. There is a burst of static, and the visage of a scrawny child, pale and hunched over, locking the door knob, flashes before your eyes. You blink and recoil. The image fades away like an old photograph, until it is completely gone.

“H-Hello? Is there somebody there?” asks a tremulous voice from behind the door. The voice sounds familiar – it is that of a young man, clear and pleasant to the ear. “The door is locked… can you let us out? Hello?”

Shaking your head and trying to set your fears aside, you stride forward and grab the knob. It resists your attempts to turn it, rattling distinctively. The man is right – it is locked.

“We can’t open it from the inside either,” he calls out, before you can say anything.

“There has to be a key somewhere, but we’ve searched every inch of this room and found nothing,” says an older woman. You know that voice too.

There probably is a key lying somewhere in the hospital, waiting for you to find it… but why waste time?

Kneeling down, you unfold the roll of picks quietly. It takes but a minute for the door to unlock and swing open, revealing its inhabitants. You stand up, pocketing the lockpicks as you do so, and look at Sawada Junichi and Kayano Rina. They seem quite surprised to see you, but eagerly hurry out of the room anyway.

“Whoa, did you have the key already?” exclaims Sawada.

“…something like that,” you say.

“We thought we were the only ones in this place,” says Kayano. “Thank goodness you came along!”

“Yeah,” adds Sawada, “We woke up and just found ourselves here, for no good reason.” The two of them tell their tale: they were in Ikei Medical University Hospital, and then found themselves here, with no memory of how they arrived to this place.

Story of my life, you think, but you nod along with them anyway.

“So, how did you get here… er…” Sawada reaches for your name.

“Shinoseki Adachi,” you mutter. “You are Sawada Junichi-san, right? Juni-S?”

His well-groomed model face lights up. “Awesome! Are you a fan of mine?”

“No, not really. I’ve just seen your face on magazines and TV,” you lie, causing a crest-fallen look to weigh down on his brow. His stardom is one of the things you do not recall, though perhaps you have never been interested in celebrities in the first place.

“Right, well, I’m just starting out, so I hope you’ll be a fan of mine from now on, Shinoseki-san!” You must admit, he recovers quickly. You nod uncertainly, flinching in the face of his sunniness.

“My name is Kayano Rina. I’m just your regular office lady,” smiles the older woman as she bends forward slightly in a perfect office bow. You find yourself bowing in return, though in a rather more awkward fashion.

“So! Now that we are free of this dusty, creepy place, it’s time to find a way to unlock the main door!” says Sawada optimistically.

“Ah, about that… actually, I have already unlocked the main doors,” you say.

“Seriously? You’re really cool, Shinoseki-san! What are we waiting around here for, then? Let’s get out of here!”

“I don’t know, Sawada-san,” says Kayano, a finger on her chin. “I feel like it’s not going to be that easy to leave. This place is just too strange… it feels like it’d be too easy if we could just walk out like that.”

“We won’t know if we don’t try… ah, Shinoseki-san, where are you going?”

You look back over your shoulder, at the two of them. “I’m going to take a look at the museum.”

“There’s nothing interesting in there,” replies Kayano. “It’s just musty old documents and books about the hospital and its founding group.”

“That’s fine.” You shrug, turn and enter the museum.

track: museum

It is not a very large room; it is about the size of a big study. One end of the room is filled with shelves of books. Newspaper articles about Kaimei Hospital's successes in the medical field are plastered neatly on the walls. Small exhibits are lined up on shelves and on pedestals. There is a model of the hospital in a glass case, and some organs and limbs that have been dissected for display, embedded in paraffin, including some disembodied penises arranged in a circle and a sagittal cross-section of a female pelvis. At the back of the room, a line of brains are proudly displayed in a position of honour: from their size, you can tell that they would have belonged to children, probably between the age of ten to twelve.

A series of four old photographs are mounted on the far wall.

The first is that of a peaceful, idyllic traditional village: the placard claims it to be Yomiki Village, circa 1880.

The second is that of a Western-styled mansion, with a placard calling it Sakaguchi Mansion, circa 1888.

The third picture depicts the same mansion, with only a few renovations. It is now called Research Ward 169, and the photo is dated 1940.

The fourth photograph is the newest: Kaimei Hospital, circa 1966.

Next to them, you see yet another portrait of Director Maeda. Beneath it is a plaque that tells a simple biography:

Director Dr. Maeda Keiji

Born 1917

Dr. Maeda was appointed as the Medical Director of the newly founded Kaimei Hospital in 1966. He has had a long and illustrious medical career prior to his post at Kaimei, and is known nationally for his work in paediatrics and child psychology. This museum was endowed from his personal funds in 1969, marking another of his numerous contributions to Kaimei Hospital.

Something about the portrait feels wrong to you. You take a closer look: it takes you a few seconds to realize that it is not the portrait itself, but its surroundings. There is an off-center, square section of the wall, half-covered by Director Maeda’s portrait, that is very slightly brighter than its surroundings. Something else used to hang in its place.

“Uh… Shinoseki-san, are you sure you should be touching that?” You hear Sawada calling out to you nervously from the corridor, but you ignore him and proceed to remove the director’s portrait.

Bare wall.

What did I expect? There is nothing to indicate what used to be in this place, except that from the size of the square, slightly larger than the director’s own portrait, chances are that it was also a picture of some sort. Deducing the nature of that picture from an empty wall is beyond your ability, however. You replace the portrait on its hook.

Next, the books. Walking over to the dusty bookshelves, you scan the spines of the books quickly. Most of them are medical tomes, but there are a few titles that jump out at you. You stop, and reach out for:

A. Rise of the Kaimei Group, by Maeda Kouichiro

B. The History of Kaimei Hospital, by Shinohara Madoka

C. Records of Yomiki Village, by Hidetaka Matsui

D. Treatise on The Immature Brain, by Dr. Maeda Keiji

E. Western Occultism in Eastern Japan, by Shinoseki Adachi

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You can assume that these books were written in the 70s at the latest, if they're real.

Nevill

Arcane
Small exhibits are lined up on shelves and on pedestals. There is a model of the hospital in a glass case, and some organs and limbs that have been dissected for display, embedded in paraffin, including some disembodied penises arranged in a circle and a cross-section of a female pelvis. At the back of the room, a line of brains are proudly displayed in a position of honour: from their size, you can tell that they would have belonged to children, probably between the age of ten to twelve.
[...]
The third picture depicts the same mansion, with only a few renovations. It is now called Research Ward 169, and the photo is dated 1940.
[...]
Dr. Maeda [...] is known nationally for his work in paediatrics and child psychology.
Okay. This is fucked up on sooo many levels. I give up on being a creep, Shino will never be as good at it as his betters.

What did I expect?
Emperor%20Hirohito%20the%20War%20Criminal.jpg
:flamesaw:

Also
Shinohara Madoka
I knew it.

Hmmm. B and D interest me most. B, I guess. Let's see what our mom/daughter has to say on the matter.

Edit: wait, 70s. That can't be right. Does it mean Madoka was Juuzo's wife?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom