Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You would also not have enough money to spend on Rin or Aria if you buy both. :M
What could they possibly want in a city designed to fulfill the needs of sweaty miners? The grand bazaar is held in Velburg, if they missed the notice (as are all of the boxom-y slavegirls... God, I hate the Dex sometimes :negative:).

I'm sure we'll make it harder to identify him if he keeps swapping hats every-time he goes out.
We'll need enough hats to execute the 'I am Spartacus' maneuver. If we ever get our own military, an oversized hat should become an obligatory part of their uniform. :salute:+M

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
*reads treave's last post*I see. Then I'll flip my first two votes to 1:B and 2:B. We should buy something for our ladies in order to advance their romance/sex-scene paths (it doesn't matter what it is, I'm sure they'll find something they like anyway). :P

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
What could they possibly want in a city designed to fulfill the needs of sweaty miners?

There are some talented and dedicated smiths in Ontoglia who have set up shop here for the easy access to rare ores and the privilege of hammering the best metals. Rin would probably like a weapon, as would Aria.

If you buy one permit, you should have enough left over to order a custom-made weapon for one of them. :M

If you buy no permits, you can order two gifts. +M

Or you could just ask around the Adventurer's Guild for any nearby dungeons so that you can try to find free magical weapons that way, because you are first and foremost a cheapskate. :M+M

Bibbimbop

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
1B. Reach out to other bandits + more details. Teleport quickly back to gobbo village and tell them that some dude called Fortunio will be coming to get some gobbo help with scouting. The gobbos are doing fuck all, so why waste humans on a job that they can do extremely well. Instruct Fortunio to integrate the gobbos into the bandit force as eyes and ears. Meanwhile Fortunio can gather other bandits and ask them what they know already about the local military, using those leads to further investigate with gobbos. The gobbos do A and the human bandits concentrate on what they do best.

2E. Steal a permit.
This is an age before internet background checks. These papers have to be very common for at least the regular trading permit and relatively hard to personalize to the owner. Tail a merchant to a quiet section of town and kill him, throw the body in a disused tunnel. Why use up most of our capital for buying actual goods in the mere buying of a slip of paper.

3D. Ask adventurers about local monsters. But not to kill those monsters, if you get my drift. We are the monster chief that radiates good vibes at monsterkind, after all.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Fine. Lolis above everything.

Flopping to 2A>B. I still think that if we manage to persuade the governor in the benefits of cooperation, he would smuggle the ore out of the city for us... or make the guards look the other way.

Instruct Fortunio to integrate the gobbos into the bandit force as eyes and ears.
They can't communicate except for the sign language, and the only gobbo who can translate is with us. :lol:

However, stealing a permit might be a good idea if it can't be traced back to us. I would, however, assume that they keep a register where they write who the permits were issued to. All the customs offices did, even in the pre-internet age.

Whether or not it would be an obstacle is up to discussion.

Last edited:

Bibbimbop

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
They can't communicate except for the sign language, and the only gobbo who can translate is with us. :lol:

And we're with the bandits, so it logically must follow that Runde is with the bandits. Pretty awesome serendipity. Runde can teach the bandits the sign language.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
1B. Reach out to other bandits + more details. Teleport quickly back to gobbo village and tell them that some dude called Fortunio will be coming to get some gobbo help with scouting.

Your goblins don't speak Fortunio's language.

2D. Steal a permit.
This is an age before internet background checks. These papers have to be very common for at least the regular trading permit and relatively hard to personalize to the owner. Tail a merchant to a quiet section of town and kill him, throw the body in a disused tunnel. Why use up most of our capital for buying actual goods in the mere buying of a slip of paper.

Yes, permit holders are registered. It's a magical slip of paper from a fantasy kingdom after all. :M

Choice added. You can kill and impersonate a merchant if you want, but it would be a rather sloppy job if you do it in a rush. Also I don't know why a merchant would be hanging out alone in a quiet part of town anyway. If you are doing it, you will be doing it by kidnapping a merchant using a sleep spell and burying him after you have what you need.

treave the buy permit is only for the ore? can we buy any of the other wares without it or is it needed?

Only for the ore. It also doubles as an export permit, with quotas attached, so you are not allowed to bring out ores without the permit.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
And we're with the bandits
My understanding is that we go our separate way while the bandits do their own thing.

My point is that unless we leave Runde with Fortunio, the goblins and the bantits would not be able to work together as the gobbos would not even be able to understand what is it that is required of them.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Your goblins also can't count that well and don't know as much about actual military stuff as the ex-soldier Fortunio. You can have them learn to communicate and coordinate properly before embarking on their respective scouting missions, but you'll be done with Ontoglia long before that project bears any sort of fruit.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Baltika9 A A B>D
Nevill B A>B C
Elfberserker B A A
Azira B C C
lightbane B B C>D>A
asxetos B A C>B
Gobblecock B D D
Grimgravy B>A C>D B>A>D
Kz3r0 B C A

A - 1
B - 8

A - 4
B - 2
C - 3

A - 2
B - 2
C - 4
D - 1

Just to correct for changes in the choices: Baltika's vote should be 3B>E, I think, and with the addition to the second choice, Gobblecock's choice will be under 2E.

lightbane

Arcane
Updated my third vote to: 3: D>C>A. I forgot we came here mostly for the treasure and monster hunting/recruiting. By the way, the Shadow Steps technique that we took the previous update doesn't seem to be listed under the "known techniques" section located in Erd's character sheet.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
B - Gotta make him the Bandit King!

E>D>B>A

This sounds like a nice safe way of establishing our merchant empire. No consequences whatsoever! Aha...

A>D>C>B

This Zayan is much more interesting than some uncute governor's daughter.

Nevill

Arcane
I forgot we came here mostly for the treasure and monster-hunting.
I thought we came here for magnatite.
“Why did you pick this… Ontoglia?” she asks.

Why indeed. Usually, you would not even consider going near a place populated primarily by topless, hairy, muscular miners. But mines are one of the primary resources for a kingdom, and from what the villagers tell you, Ontoglia’s mines are the pride of Methuss. Just by looking at the forces that protect it, its management, and the output of the mines, you might be able to tell the condition of the kingdom as a whole. If Methuss were a person, then Ontoglia would be one of its vital organs.

[...]

“No, because of something they call magnatite.”
I would consider it a waste if we don't procure some for ourselves, one way or the other.

Nevill

Arcane
Only for the ore. It also doubles as an export permit, with quotas attached, so you are not allowed to bring out ores without the permit.
How much equipment the Teleport spell allows us to transport?

At the very least it works for items in our immediate possession (clothes & weapons), so I assume that if we wanted to, we could sneak the ore outside the city gates quite handily (enough to forge a weapon for ourselves, for example). However, to do it in any meaningful capacity (to arm an army, or to meld a golem/familiar) would be tricky.

lightbane

Arcane
Rin can also teleport. However, I would assume they have magical detectors in place to prevent this or other similar magical occurences from happening.

Also, Nevill, I was refering to that comment of mine about the chance of finding a tomb with riches (and monsters). Considering there's an Adventurer's Guild branch here, the chances of finding such dungeon have increased. That reminds me: has the Google Translator spell been improved to the point that Erd can read text? Otherwise, we'll have a hard time doing anything.
Moreso if they ask us for credentials and/or fees to inscribe. That also applies to the C option, because it's unlikely they'll accept us a teacher without asking for proof of our knowledge. Lastly, how long would we stay in this town if C wins? We still have to go to the capital, so we cannot delay for too long.

One more thing: Fear not Nevill. This is a region in which slavery is accepted, so the probability of finding monster-girls for sale at Yuria is quite high.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
How much equipment the Teleport spell allows us to transport?

As far as you can tell, only your clothes/armour, weapons, and items of handheld size. You'll need a more powerful spell to teleport anything more.

Of course, this is assuming that this world doesn't have teleportation magic and as such doesn't have any counter measures.

That reminds me: has the Google Translator spell been improved to the point that Erd can read text? Otherwise, we'll have a hard time doing anything.

Nope. You're still functionally illiterate for the most part, though you can understand bits and pieces of their alphabet now and fake it from there.

Nevill

Arcane
Rin can also teleport. However, I would assume they have magical detectors in place to prevent this or other similar magical occurences from happening.
That's assuming they know what a teleportation spell is. There mustn't be too many mages able to cast it, and the ones who do (archmages, really) probably aren't interested in stealing ore from miners. :lol:

Considering there's an Adventurer's Guild branch here, the chances of finding such dungeon have increased.
I have a feeling that the branches of Adventurer's Guild are everywhere, for even peasants and kids to be aware of their prices. They are probably the KFC of fast-job networks. They must have offices in every major city. :M

I would hardly call it a unique opportunity. If anything, this is presented as an option to dig information on the city.

That reminds me: has the Google Translator spell been improved to the point that Erd can read text?
That shouldn't be a problem since it has been confiormed the kids can read.

Lastly, how long would we stay in this town if C wins?
No longer than in other instances, I imagine. We aren't trying to marry his daughter, or, God forbid, teach her. She isn't even really the point. We are trying to get a closer look at people running the city. There might be some dirty underwear for us to exploit.

If all else fails, we'll just have bandits/armored Rin kidnap the damsel and offer our services to rescue her, earning our 'in'.

This is a region in which slavery is accepted, so the probability of finding monster-girls for sale at Yuria is quite high.
I really hope so, or we will have to make our own slavegirls, which would be a major pain.

But really, we should look into making our white-knighting profitable by saving all the pretty maidens from the bandit clutches for a reasonable fee. Naturally, we will offer a variety of payment methods. :obviously:

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Hm, if Erdrick cannot read well, then how did he manage to learn the spells from these grimoires? Eating them? :M
Anyway, I guess magic always finds a way. Also, even if the kids can read, it wouldn't help us if we end up becoming a teacher for that girl. Extra points if said person is bilingual and/or we have to use texts written in different languages, causing a glitch with the Google Translation spell that makes us talk gibberish. :lol:

I have a feeling that the branches of Adventurer's Guild are everywhere, for even peasants and kids to be aware of their prices. They are probably the KFC of fast-job networks. They must have offices in every major city. :M

Since this world also has battle-hardened child-soldiers Heroes with similar functions to those from Erdrick's planet, perhaps the branches exist to monitor the local children in order to spot future candidates/control the population levels. But we won't know for sure until we go there.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Also, even if the kids can read, it wouldn't help us with the "become a teacher for that girl" option.
The tutor does not need to 'read'. The tutor needs to teach. What use does he have for books written by others when he can - allegedly - write his own?

You don't even know what kind of tutoring the guvnor requires. Maybe it's fencing. Maybe it's singing. The only one that would suck is calligraphy, and even then the first few lessons could be faked by drawing pretty straight lines as a part of learning 'basics'.

And who knows, maybe it's all an elaborate scheme by the girl to date her lover who is applying for the job even now.

Anyway, we are not looking for a full-time job. We are looking to bullshit our way into a place of power. I'd say we have a good chance of that.

No matter, though, since the Codex homo (?) squad seems to be winning with their mad scientist. Not that I object to xir all that much. Would be interesting to kidnap xir, drop xir in a middle of our gobbo dungeon, bring xir enough tools and resourses and see what steampunk abomination ze comes up with.

perhaps the branches exist to monitor the local children in order to spot future candidates/control the population levels.
I think it is much more prosaic and they are just the dominant mercenary group in the realms. Perhaps even spanning several kingdoms, since I bet their services are required everywhere.

Edit: changed the pronouns to respect the ambiguety of Zayan's gender.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Hm, if Erdrick cannot read well, then how did he manage to learn the spells from these grimoires? Eating them? :M

By picking up the meaning of the spell, which is a lot harder without understanding the words. If it was written in your language you'd have mastered the whole book by now. As it is you have bits and pieces of a foreign language, which isn't all that useful to you practically.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom