Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

TOME

Cuckmaster General
A. We run up the stairs, past the sluggish creature, following the cultists.

It's this that worries me. We don't know anything about the creature and blindly trusting the assumption that it is sluggish is foolish.

Out of the corner of my eye, I spot a flicker of movement. Erika doesn't seem to have noticed it, but I turn about instantly, on the alert. In the distance, there is a white human statue that doesn't seem to have been there before. It's too far for me to make out any details, but it's distinctly different in colouring from the grey ones that I have seen along the way. Before I can say anything to Erika, it vanishes, right before my eyes.

How did it vanish?

Baltika9

Arcane
You know, that vanishing act makes me wonder: if it wanted to attack us, why not do it then and there? If anything, I take that as a sign of indifference (maybe even benevolence; maybe the rod is somehow connected?) from it. We should be fine sidestepping it.

However, I am more interested in the books: I think we should get the Shin'ar one, since we lost the guide Shulgi gave us, and have Senya learn about the real history of the world. Maybe even learn some of Ean's tricks, considering the shit we regularly get ourselves into (which isn't stopping anytime soon :incline: ), that's going to be rather useful.

ScubaV

Prophet
1354199082.jpg

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
AA

I get the feeling that this is going to turn into one of those horror movies where two adversary groups buddy up to face off against the supernatural.

Also creature makes me think of those statues from the Doctor Who series
weepingangles-375x281.jpg

Baltika9

Arcane
Bros, as tempting as the wildcard is, I really don't see how it's our best choice: we're pretty much shacked up with Kyrie, the heir to the Empire (which we can start reforming once we find her, should be easier to gather support arond a living Princess rather than saying "she's alive, take my word for it"), we consistently sided with the Shin'ar whenever we had the option and we picked the Ean choice every time we could.
Frankly, the Shin'ari Codex (hurr) seems to suit us best and mesh with our choices the most. I mean, hell, if we learn as much as possible about the Empire, it should give us some very intereting opportunities down the line, all things (like Kyrie and our stolen MEGA GLORY) considered.

So, yeah, I don't see a whole lot of reasons we would pick the 1A right now.

Off-topic: maybe the reason Shulgi gave us hat text game was so that we would understand Ean's character and his memories, and create an AI of him, like Yua. Which he would then use on the post-apocalyptic, plague-infested world (which would also be conveniently clean of non-powered humans) to unite it under one strong leader who would, naturally, be under his " supervision."

Yes, I've lost it quite a while ago.

aleam iacis

Liturgist
Codex USB, 2014 BattleTech
CA. I want my lore-dump damnit, I'd rather have that over a 'cool' new powerup or some damn curse or random cult musings. Plus if its an old book, the only major cult was Shulgi's and forget him. That said, as Ean we never really got to use shadow, light, or necromancy powers...
Oh well, we ended up as a god-emperor :P So let's read the book about the empire!

Oh, and I want to catch the cultists since they would be useful to us. But the second choice is less important to me, B seems like a waste of time and opportunity, C seems inherently stupid.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

B - is Vajra and probably knowledge of the masters - which we may need to get out of here alive, not to mention later when we have to face them.
A - We've blindly sided against the cult before and lost out big time because of it. They may not be our enemies this time round. Also, that thing is what's causing our headache and I think we are causing it somehow...

edit:
A thought wanders into my head – a single thought that comes from within me, though I do not recognize it as my own.

It should not exist, should never exist, and in fact does not exist at all.
Aw, did Senya just hear his first voice? :wishful thinking:
:desu:

Zwist

Learned
What are these books? Most probably infodumps on the factions associated with the symbols, someone spying and collecting data on them. Who that is? Now that is really interesting. I think the symbol of the empire might shed light on that, at least if it is an old acquaintance. But we know most shit about the empire already, don't we? In terms of power-up the only thing I could think of us getting out of this deal is a certain sword. Also: Info on recent events? Queeny?
The creature is nothing, as such everything it touches stops being. The humanoid form however is more interesting, as it hints that at one time it was. Do we know of any act that can unmake a being on that level?
Whatever it is, fighting it is just a bad idea. Also it appears to be following *us*, the cultists being here for quite some time and Senya noticing it before.

B- ooring
A- Meatshields

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
A - 7
B - 2
C - 4

A - 10
B - 2
C - 1

AA wins. Update coming in a few hours. The first time I put two dead end choices in one update you guys dodge it altogether.

:x

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
If you go into the subway, you're unable to track down the cultists again before they make off with the only other way out of this world (since Erika destroyed one). You find some supplies in their abandoned hideout that allows you and Erika to survive for another month, but a way out never appears, and you eventually die of starvation and dehydration.

Fighting the thing means you die. Retreating from it once you've engaged, as it turns out, isn't an option.

Baltika9

Arcane
My pleasure, really. :smug:

Shame about the book, though. Learning the Shin'ar secrets and restoring Kyrie to the throne would've been a nice combination. Looks like I'll have to settle for Cthulhu'ing and biotech. I'm grief-stricken.

Say, about that monocle, possibility down the road?

If you go into the subway, you're unable to track down the cultists again before they make off with the only other way out of this world (since Erika destroyed one). You find some supplies in their abandoned hideout that allows you and Erika to survive for another month, but a way out never appears, and you eventually die of starvation and dehydration.

Fighting the thing means you die. Retreating from it once you've engaged, as it turns out, isn't an option.
Just don't make a habit of it! Both of the options sounded like pretty bad ideas, but, well, this is the codex... All I'm say'n is it's a good thing statue diplomacy wasn't an option... :M

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The Case of the Missing Lawmaker, Act IV

“Erika! Track them, but don't do anything until I get there.”

She nods and sprints off, leaping over the handrails of the grand stairway in a single bound. I, on the other hand, have to settle for a more normal attempt. The white creature turns to face me jerkily. As I prepare to run around it, a white hand lashes out, reaching for me with surprising speed. Thinking quickly, I grab the outstretched limb with my cybernetic hand. It somehow flakes, crumbles and melts as it turns white, all at the same time. I pull away hard, stumbling on the stairs as the artificial hand detaches. The thing just looks at me with those bulging, veiny eyes, tracking me with that dead gaze. At its side, the pool of goo that was once the familiar begins stirring to life. Looks like I better get the hell out of here. It makes no effort to come after me at all, and I take the chance to flee up the stairs. Hopefully we won't meet again.

Dashing back out into the grey city, I spot Erika perched atop a nearby building. She kicks off, leaping from rooftop to rooftop; she must still be following the cultists at a safe distance, as per my instructions.The chase continues for quite some time - our quarry seems to be constantly retreating in a direction away from both the palace and the obelisk. We were headed back to the area near the shopping mall; now I feel silly for not having checked out the surroundings more thoroughly before venturing so far out. I struggle to keep up as I run through the streets. My headache is getting worse at every second, though somehow it doesn't interfere with my physical ability and stamina – it just keeps me from concentrating. Just when I thought I'd lost her, Erika lands nimbly in front of me.

“They're in that building on the left.” She points out said building to me. It's a non-descript, three-storey store. The signage indicates that it is a motel of some sort. “Are you alright?” asks Erika, noticing that I'm pale and sweating. I nod my aching head. “Don't worry. Let's get going.” No point wasting time here – that headache isn't going to go away by itself anytime soon.

“You're pushing yourself too much,” nags Yua. Well, it looks like that hasn't changed about her, at least.

Erika takes the point. The door opens without resistance, and we enter the gloomy store. Signs of habitation are all over the place; it looks like this is where they live when they are here. We check the rooms one by one; most are abandoned, while others appear to be newly ransacked. Erika confirms that the cultists had all entered this building, but none of them appear to be on the ground floor. As we near the stairs, a groan comes from the room adjacent to it.

Inside, we find what we have been looking for. The lawmaker... sans her legs. The room's layout appears identical to that in the mysterious photo, complete with candles. A hooded cultist is trying to untie her – she appears to be unconscious. As we enter, the cultist turns around with a gasp. Before Erika can close in to attack, the cultist raises two thin arms into the air. One hand reaches around and grasps the dirty brown hood.

“I surrender,” whispers the cultist timidly, pulling down the hood. “Please, take me with you.” It's a young girl, probably about 14 years of age. “You're the police, right? I was the one who leaked the photo. I can tell you guys everything.”

“Tell us what you know right now, and I may consider it.” My headache had dissipated when I entered the room, and I'm feeling as good as new now. I'm thinking more clearly than I ever have. It looks like the headache washed away a lot of irrelevant matters from my head.

“I... I can't tell you everything right now, we don't have time,” says the girl. “We were brought here by the Third Hierarch, Brother Falco, and he said we had a divine task to do. He... he took women and... this isn't what I thought we would be doing.” I wonder what happened to the other abductees. I only see the lawmaker here. I step closer to the girl, speaking in a comforting tone. “I see. Where are they now?”

“Upstairs, on the top floor. They're preparing to return back to the real world. They're waiting for me to join them and perform the ritual, but I wanted to untie her at least...” she gestures at the lawmaker.

“That is very kind of you,” I smile. As she looks at my face, an expression of realization appears on hers.

“You... aren't you the brother of the Messiah? Master Senya?”

I thought the slight change done during reconstruction would have tweaked my features slightly enough so that I wasn't fingered as a terrorist every time I stepped out. I still bear an uncanny resemblance to my old looks, but Azo had arranged for it so that all the photos circulated of me were the grim ones with multiple scars and an eye-patch. It looks like this girl remembered, however.

“Chief Maiden Keiko spoke of you frequently.” There's an obvious tone of awe in her voice.

Ah, one of Keiko's underlings, I suppose. That explains matters somewhat. She grabs my hand. There's a low growl coming from Erika, somewhere behind me.

“You can save us! The believers are in disarray, and we don't know who to trust anymore. Some even say the Great Mother has abandoned those of us still here on Earth. I always thought you were the real saviour, once they talked about you on television. They were definitely lying - the boy Chief Maiden Keiko spoke of and the brother of the Messiah wouldn't murder anyone. You must have sacrificed your good name for the sake of others, as befitting a real messiah, so that you could save the believers in secret, just like you came to save me, right?”

Foolish, fanciful notions. Still, I do nothing to dispel her misconception for now. Playing off coincidence as providence is a fine way to gain trust. Before I can say anything else to her, the pain in my head returns for a brief second. How annoying; it seems that this won't last... ah, the pain is back again. This headache. This fucking headache. This fucking pain in the ass. I grit my teeth, bearing it, and beam at the girl with the utmost kindness I can muster.

A. I take her into custody. She'll serve as a witness in the prosecution of this case once I return with the lawmaker. This will grant the girl some means of protection, as well as ensure the prosecution goes more smoothly.

B. She will be far more useful to me if my 'colleagues' in the department do not know of her existence. I will set it up so that I can sneak her back into the real world, where her knowledge and contacts with the now fractured cult should prove to be most informative.

C. She knows too much. She might talk to the wrong people when we get back. I should just kill her now, to be on the safe side.

As for the other members of the cult that are currently waiting upstairs...

A. Once I join the fight seriously, 'Brother Falco' and the rest of the cultists will likely know who I am. They will need to be silenced. Besides, I have no need for them. They won't set one foot in the real world; I don't plan on letting any of these idiots live.

B. I need to arrest some suspects for the case. Going back with just the lawmaker will improve my reputation, but having living cultists they can put on trial is even better. To camouflage my real identity I will have to let Erika do the bulk of the work, but I rather suspect she will be happy and prove up to the task anyway.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012

I doubt it. Also, whatever 'secrets' you think you might learn are probably utterly useless in this time period, two thousand years later, where most of the subjects of the secrets are dead. To stop further wasted speculation down this road: there is no longer any great Shinar Empire secret to uncover that you guys haven't already read about in the course of the LP.

Also, for a similar reason, I'll have to be clear that the Empire is dead and buried. Given the current geopolitical situation and the combination of choices we have made - starting from the funeral - it would be extremely foolish, power-hungry and greedy to try and restore the monarchy (you guys wanted a noble and good hero who would not do such things, you have it), since we didn't pick the path of being a revolutionary and as such will not be able to access the proper resources, motivation, rationale and power base to attempt such a thing. The choice is locked out now.

:troll:

Just don't make a habit of it! Both of the options sounded like pretty bad ideas, but, well, this is the codex... All I'm say'n is it's a good thing statue diplomacy wasn't an option...

I figured having 1 out of 4 was weighing it too badly. :lol:

ScubaV

Prophet
metal-pellets-500pcs.jpg

1 - Time to start building our power base/network separate from Shulgi/Azo. If we can reconnect with our sister she might make a powerful ally. If not, some disillusioned cultists will make fine grunts for the future.

2 - At the same time we don't want to come back empty-handed. Even without the girl as a witness, it shouldn't be hard to prosecute cultists. It's like putting Al-Qaeda on trial.

Rex Feral

Prophet
AB.

It never hurts to do our duty and, besides that, we came here for a specific reason: to investigate the disappearances and to collect evidence for a prosecution.

However, BA also sounds like an interesting option, although it's a bit too ambitious and ruthless for my liking.

As for option C, I wouldn't choose it even if the other 2 were dead ends.

Baltika9

Arcane
Oh my, this is simply marvelous. A Gieloth book and access to a Gieloth cult. Of course, since Erika's here, Shulgi will know everything eventually, if he doesn't already, but still.
BA. I'm not doing the department any favors, fuck those guys, and I want to see how Senya's ability will work here, it will be good to know for the future.
Although it will probably mean turning over some of our loot when we return, but it's not like we can't steal it back once we're done with them, eh?
ah, the pain is back again. This headache. This fucking headache. This fucking pain in the ass.
'Sup, Edem.
Given the current geopolitical situation and the combination of choices we have made
I always did like the word "current," you know. On the other hand, I never liked the word "Shin'ar."
A hundred years, or a thousand, we'll think of something.
Edit:
"You're pushing yourself too much,” nags Yua. Well, it looks like that hasn't changed about her, at least.
*sigh* Yes, mother.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. If we take her back, we have to kill these guys. Putting cultists on trial for such crimes will exponentially increase the worldwide hatred of the cult and probably destroy any usefulness they would have had to us. Not to mention the fact that our new girlfriend here would probably be exposed as having betrayed them. BB would be no victory at all.

Here are our options that actually make sense:
AB - Completely fuck over the cult in favor of our rep. AA sounds like a less risky version of this with less reward. Not sure if Erika can handle these guys on her own. A gruesome, leg-less end awaits us both if she fails.
BA - Gain access to her contacts and hope they can fill us in on some of what's really going on in the world - this sphere world is just the tip of the iceberg I fear. There is the possibility that she'd rat us out to the Mother though or someone else though.
CA - Nothing lost - apart from humanity points; nothing gained - apart from Erika points and a bloody good slaughter.
CB - The girl might mention us during the trial. This would eliminate that possibility.

My choice is BA.
Also, for a similar reason, I'll have to be clear that the Empire is dead and buried. Given the current geopolitical situation and the combination of choices we have made - starting from the funeral - it would be extremely foolish, power-hungry and greedy to try and restore the monarchy (you guys wanted a noble and good hero who would not do such things, you have it)
Well, there was a noble and good hero way back that started an Empire. Ean was his name, if I'm not mistaken... Still, you are right, we don't have the resources necessary. I doubt having the cult on our side would help us much either in that regard - esp. with their network as hunted and fractured as it is. It may, however, help us gain some much needed intel.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'm afraid that is a fallacious argument. He was given an Empire at a time where kings and emperors were commonplace. It's an entirely different scenario to the political clusterfuck we have here.

To make one now you would likely have to do it by force and throw the Earth nations back into disarray, unless you want it to be an Empire in name only, with the Emperor/Empress having just as much powers as the current republican President does. The Federation is set upon the binding principle that all its member states have identical government systems to ensure fairness and parity, and most are now deep in transition. The closest equivalent you could hope for here would be for Kyrie (or yourself, perhaps) to be elected (Eternal) President of the Glorious Federation.

As for the cult, what is left of it on Earth is a spent force and as hated as Senya himself. They aren't entirely without resources, however, as you see here; dimension travel is extremely high-level technology, though they might not understand its full significance or potential themselves. As you will find out in the next update, regardless of your choices here, their ability to access this other world was a fluke; they don't really know how it works, just that it does.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom