Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

anus_pounder

Arcane
C and D, because.

Really liking this cyoa so far. :salute:

Esquilax

Arcane
Our intermission choice really depends on our update choice:

If we kill the pharaoh, then our intermission choice should be A so that we're aware of the social and political ramifications of killing the assassination and how we can work that to our advantage.

If we attack the temple, then we're going to know about their activities soon enough anyways, so getting a read on any other immortals would give us a heads-up and hopefully keep us from getting blindsided by someone we didn't expect.

If we join Thebes in fighting the cult, then either B or C is the way to go.

Still might flip-flop my original choice so I'm not sure what to pick yet.

Baltika9

Arcane
We came here to kick tentacle ass and rescue schoolgirls. B. I still think we should go to Denmark or farther into Scandinavia.

Baltika9

Arcane
Denmark would be pretty dull at around this time. :M
Listen to me on this one Bro. Yeah, Denmark IS goddamn dull right now. Around this time it's people are focused on surviving the winter, wild animals and each other. The viking culture is not all that developed yet, and they don't know shit about iron. The other Immortals won't even care to look there, or expect us to go there. If we play our cards right, they'll think we're still asleep.

Now, if we go to that backwater shithole, and with our voices give them new sailing technology, agricultural advances, military doctrines and gear, and lead them to prosperity, then we will be able to build a strong, able and idolating empire. And all we have to do is walk in, kick everyone's asses and say that Odin sent us. Voila.

Esquilax

Arcane
... But why go thousands of miles north when we could be kicking ass right now. In Egypt. With pyramids and shit.

:yeah:

Baltika9

Arcane
... But why go thousands of miles north when we could be kicking ass right now. In Egypt. With pyramids and shit.

:yeah:
But why kick ass with gay ass 3d triangles when you can kick ass with axes on fucking boats? With fucking Vikings?

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
With our current prowess, Tyr would be more believable. M: Plus, Odin's missing an eye. Yeah, Tyr might be missing a hand. Point. We work on throwing lightning around for a bit, and we can be Thor. :troll:

Baltika9

Arcane
With our current prowess, Tyr would be more believable. M: Plus, Odin's missing an eye. Yeah, Tyr might be missing a hand. Point. We work on throwing lightning around for a bit, and we can be Thor. :troll:
Well, we will have to walk for a shitload of time, might as well practice. If it were up to me, I'd say fuck the tentacles for now, they have other immortals to rape, and I think they don't like being on the receiving end of our mental dicks.
And besides, we can always poke our eye out.
No biggie, it'll grow back.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Intermission: The Gieloth Cult

"Our lords crawled from a fallen star. Our lords were three. Abbaseth ruled the sands. Pahnrath ruled the night. Sekhenun ruled man and beast alike. Our lords raise us to be gods as they are. Lord Abbaseth walked among us to protect our city. Lord Pahnrath came among us and told us the secrets of the dead. Lord Sekhenun raised man to be as the lords.The Ilu Limnu from the East was jealous of them. The Ilu Limnu led a vast army of evil spirits to destroy our lords. Lord Abbaseth and Pahnrath were slain by the demon."
~ an excerpt from the records of a Gieloth priest circa 2150 B.C.

The Gieloth have been revered as gods as far back as the Third Dynasty of Egypt, long before you obtained your own immortality. Their cult was usually content to stay in the shadows. Some three hundred years ago, two of the three 'lords' of the cult were destroyed by a being from the East called the Ilu Limnu. You think that this was a reference to your doing. Since then, they began to step up their preparations to rule openly. They finally succeeded by getting their hooks into Pharaoh Wankare's father, Acthose, who dared not declare his worship openly at the time, but indoctrinated his son into the religion. Acthose died mysteriously, and when Wankare took power, he immediately acted in favour of the cult. Currently the cult has priests in every city under Wankare's control, though they have been banned in Heracleopolitan and Theban territories. There is little love for the cult amongst the people of Egypt, but the higher ranking officers in the standing army have been infiltrated by it with Wankare's blessing, and military support maintains the cult's standing in the kingdom.

Heliopolis was desecrated by the Gieloth, and apparently the last remaining lord, Sekhenun, makes his throne there as the true power behind Egypt. He is attended to by a population of three thousand cultists. There appear to be a smattering of lesser lords, minor deities, who are called Children of Sekhenun, present in both Heliopolis and Memphis. Every week, six young men and six young women, selected by cultists from the cities of the Nile Delta, are sent into the Great Temple of Heliopolis as tribute to Sekhenun. They are never seen again. From what you can gather, Sekhenun's powers are to 'raise man to be as the lords'. Every fifty years or so, some prominent cultist is selected to become a Child of Sekhenun. Somehow, Sekhenun transforms the cultist to become an existence akin to the Gieloth themselves.

Upon knowing all this, you make your decision.

The last of the Gieloth Lords of Egypt will also fall by your hand.

Let's go for the triple kill, brother.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah... This makes B look like less of a good idea. Charge into their fortress alone with countless empowered Gieloth servants? We've only been a match for them one on one.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Too late, the die is cast!

Chapter 3.2: Before Heliopolis

There were a few ways you could enter Heliopolis. The walls were twenty metres high - you could scale them, but it would be terribly suspicious if you were to be spotted. The gates were guarded, though they remain open because of the constant streams of tribute from all over the Nile Delta. You could walk right in, but only if you find the right excuse. You could pretend to be a pilgrim or one of the weekly human tributes. From what you know, there are no secret escape tunnels under the walls, unlike Sargon's Akkad.

Of course, you could boldly walk up to the gates and start a slaughter from there.

You prepare your supplies; rope, torches, and a couple of daggers. You no longer have access to a great treasury, and have to make do with what you can scrounge up from the alleys of Memphis. Before you embark on your journey, though, you may still have some things to do in Memphis. It is a huge, bustling city despite the hard times it has fallen on recently. Using your abilities, you feel confident of recruiting a small team of capable men and women to assist you, should you decide not to go it alone.

A. Scale the walls under the cover of night, sneaking into Heliopolis.

B. Pretend to be a humble believer, and sneak in with a pilgrim caravan.

C. Replace a human tribute and get sent right into the Great Temple to meet Sekhenun.

D. Tear the fucking gates off the walls and begin the purge. ALL TENTACLES MUST DIE.

1. Hit up Memphis to recruit people to aid you in your planned expedition.

2. Go it alone.

ScubaV

Prophet
Yeah... This makes B look like less of a good idea. Charge into their fortress alone with countless empowered Gieloth servants? We've only been a match for them one on one.

Agreed. This makes for an interesting dilemma. Anything but B is going to ruin the element of surprise, which may be just enough to kill the last lord. After that, mop up should be easy, even if we have to retreat and finish later. Then again, anything infested by the tentacle beasts can't be mind-read. How many still-human cultists are there left? Because those would be our key to a successful infiltration as I doubt we can take the whole city head on by ourselves. And yet, we have knowledge of the Gieloth stored in our brain. Between that and our mind reading, maybe we could successfully fake being a cultist?

I think A or C would be a more prudent choice. A would be a more direct action and might enable the more free-thinking Egyptian generals to take action of their own. But the pharaoh is just a figurehead, although the general populace may not know it. C seems like it would be the longest and most indirect route to our goal, but possibly the most likely to succeed. We'd have to convince the Heracleopolitans and Thebans that they should listen to us, then assemble a fighting force and attack all while the Gieloth have a chance to organize.

I think I'll flip-flop to A (in my original post). B is extremely risky and if we lose the gamble will probably put us out of commission for quite some time again. And I don't like how C will give the enemy plenty of time to prepare. Even though the pharaoh is a figurehead, A might still put the cult off-balance while also giving us a chance of fighting some "lesser lords" and advancing our powers, learning more about the Gieloth, or both.

ScubaV

Prophet
Ok, well I guess now we're going into the belly of the beast. I hope this works. I'm leaning towards C2 or B1. C2 will get us straight to our objective, though undoubtedly not without some hoops to jump through (i.e. prepping the sacrifices). I think a less direct route would benefit from some bros, if only for a distraction, and I think B is better than A for that purpose.

Edit: Treave, would we be able to get some better gear if we recruited some bros or robbed a store (if we're going solo)?

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
B1 or C2 I'm thinking at the moment.

Voting B1 for now solely for the reason that I think it would be more interesting with companions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom