Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Not sure if the LP will continue if it's a game over. I have a couple of new ideas in mind though, which can be easily tied to this setting. The tree has been around for 3000 years, so you could say it's catching up on what it should've done a long time ago in a very fast manner, helped by the millions of Concordiat citizens that have come from and returned to it.

Also, a hint as to why the world hasn't been nuked: same reason why they haven't done anything about Naram.

Kukulkan

Learned
Not sure if the LP will continue if it's a game over. I have a couple of new ideas in mind though, which can be easily tied to this setting. The tree has been around for 3000 years, so you could say it's catching up on what it should've done a long time ago in a very fast manner, helped by the millions of Concordiat citizens that have come from and returned to it.

Also, a hint as to why the world hasn't been nuked: same reason why they haven't done anything about Naram.
Time travel but make the new timeline altered a lot by the event so metagaming becomes useless.

Baltika9

Arcane
I have a proposition: if we fail this completely (and we most likely will), maybe we should split up into smaller groups of, say, five people per character. The longer update times will be worth it for an actual coordination and increased chances of success. I wouldn't mind paying the price(s) for that at all.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

No, Baltika9, not "just as planned".
Somehow, this Master is preventing the Masters from wiping the planet.
In that brief period, they had warned her that this being was an outcast of some sorts, an entity that had become different from the Masters they knew.
He may also be the one letting in the sphere, but if that's the case I don't know why he didn't do so earlier... (Maybe the sphere is trying to come into our reality because it senses us. Maybe it's the same one that tortured Ean before and that's why Naram wanted to keep us unconscious. To keep the sphere from sensing us and coming through... Just theories.)

My point still stands though. Devouring this tree now is our only hope. Without that kind of power, we'll never be able to stand up to Naram - much less the sphere. And even if we somehow manage it, the earth will be destroyed by the gieloth.

edit: Also, I quoted what the Master said about the spheres to illustrate to you that they are akin to children, pulling the legs off bugs. Simple, curious things who just want to "play" with us. I get that they don't want to have a chess match. Their idea of play is very violent. That's why they sent the zergs. "Play." That's why they tortured us. That's why they are coming through (unless Naram-Master is the one behind it and is controlling them, but nothing suggests that yet).

They have no interest in ruling our universe. They are simply curious and want to look around. Violently. So we should stop them. By gaining power from the tree.

Baltika9

Arcane
LC, look, I understand where you're driving at with "get power, stomp everyone." Thing is, if it makes Ean a worse threat to humanity and the planet than everyone else, then we're even more fucked. And eve before it gets to that point, Ean could simply be overwhelmed with the power of the Tree, that far exceeds his own.

And you're forgetting that we're not alone: there are Dio and Sek, there is Dagrun, there is Shulgi and the Madman is lurking somewhere around too. We still have our Yellowstreaks. All is not lost.

LC, look, I understand where you're driving at with "get power, stomp everyone." Thing is, if it makes Ean a worse threat to humanity and the planet than everyone else, then we're even more fucked. And eve before it gets to that point, Ean could simply be overwhelmed with the power of the Tree, that far exceeds his own.

And you're forgetting that we're not alone: there are Dio and Sek, there is Dagrun, there is Shulgi and the Madman is lurking somewhere around too. We still have our Yellowstreaks. All is not lost.
Sek - or what's left of her - just wants to eat us. Dio is a self centered jerk and is probably the one who negotiated the deal with the Concordant so he could escape. Dagrun is a batshit crazy sadomasicist. Shulgi got stomped by Naram after we left through the portal. The madman? No one has even met him yet and there's no indication that he has any power of his own. He's just motivated others to fight for him. Our yellowstreaks are, sadly, weak as hell. It's all up to us at this point and I just don't see any other way. There's no way Ean could be a worse threat to humanity than the sphere and the tree - both of which are about to destroy the world.

Baltika9

Arcane
Sek - or what's left of her - just wants to eat us. Dio is a self centered jerk and is probably the one who negotiated the deal with the Concordant so he could escape. Dagrun is a batshit crazy sadomasicist. Shulgi got stomped by Naram after we left through the portal. The madman? No one has even met him yet and there's no indication that he has any power of his own. He's just motivated others to fight for him. Our yellowstreaks are, sadly, weak as hell. It's all up to us at this point and I just don't see any other way.
They are all bound by one thing, though: they want to survive. They won't cooperate for Great Justice, no, they will cooperate to survive.
As for Shulgi, he smacks of wounded pride. Maybe we can do something about it.

Dio will already survive by getting on the tree. And we don't even have the time to find them all. That'd take months. We'd gather them and then - oops, the earth implodes!

Baltika9

Arcane
Then we show them what really is going on, through memories. But I'm getting ahead of myself, I simplybsee the devouring of the tree to ba an unnecessarily risky gamble. I'd rather bet on Esquilax's theory that getting close to Cheeseburger Fatboy will unlock our memories.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Here's a sneak peek of what would've happened had we gone to Olympus.

Your feet skid against the ground as you pivot and duck at the last minute. The arrows go sailing harmlessly over your head. It looks like their tracking abilities were limited, but you could not keep this up forever, not when you had other enemies to worry about. Right on cue, a shield smashed into your guard from above, before you had time to recover. Gritting your teeth, you push it aside just in time to evade the incoming spears. You lash out with Anbar-Shi, but your blow does not connect, as your target dissolves in a burst of white mist before the sword hits home. In that instant, a small bolt of lightning connects with your chest, sending you stumbling backwards.

One Zeus replica left. Five Athena replicas. Six Aphrodites. Two Areses. Three Artemis replicas off in the distance, standing atop the white hill.

Thankfully, the replicas vanished if you even managed to attempt as much as a glancing blow with your sword, though they ignored any other form of attack. They were not as strong as the real thing either. Still, you had started out against dozens more, and by now your body was on the verge of giving up, the multitude of wounds inflicted not regenerating. Whether if it was a property of the pure white weapons they used, you were not sure. On the bright side, the replicas did not seem to regenerate very fast.

In the fight, you had become certain of one thing; they did everything they could to avoid being touched by Anbar-Shi, going as far as to give up their form. Even the beast-forms of the Terasphagos that harried your ankles acted the same way, uncharacteristic of how they had behaved the last time you faced them.

As you try to think of a way to land one hit, the man appears from the hill again, rising up from its surface.

I have heard many stories about you from your friends and enemies, and your tenacity seems to underly every telling.

The man did not move, but the voice he projected in your head was full of self-assured confidence.

Well, no matter. You cannot resist forever. I do not want to waste any more of my attentions on you. Abandon your sword.

"You just gave away that you are concerned about my sword, you idiot. Are you finally willing to talk, or do I have to shove this in you?" you taunt, aware that you have not been able to approach the hill for the past hour.

There is a slight flash of anger as the white figure gives an involuntary shiver.

There will be no discussion until... hm.

The man stops and laughs.

I thought you betrayed me, thinking that he could perhaps defeat me and free you from your chains, when you delivered him without completing your tasks.

"You must have misunderstood. I thought you could take care of it yourself, my master. I did not know you had a weakness to his weapon."

The voice came from somewhere behind you, but you could not sense any presence. Still, the only person behind you in this blasted wasteland is... was supposed to be dead. Was this what others felt like when they spoke to you? The being atop the hill became slightly irritated, aware that he may have made a mistake in being so overtly cautious of your sword.

It is to your credit that you did not run away, as you so often have. Have you finally committed to finishing your duty?

There is a ring of a sword being drawn, a clear tone that somehow silenced all noise in the world. A horrible sensation creeps up your back... a dark mixture of hunger, hatred, pain and desire bearing down upon you from the other man's sword. You turn around, Anbar-Shi brought up in position.

"Well... you seem ready as always, Ean. Let me introduce myself, once again." The person in front of you brought his sword up in a flourishing salute, his eyes cold and his lips curled in a slight sneer. "I am Diogenes Camna, Lord Chancellor of the Shinar Empire, successor to your power, and the wielder of the sword that will devour your soul. Now, shall we cross blades?"

Kukulkan

Learned
250px-Climax_zps93d9dad4.jpg

Posting relevant picture.

GreyViper

Prophet
filp flopping to B, because yeah if this tree is also part of the other one, well one word overkill.o_O
Yet the problem remains, what did we gain by coming there? We know if the masters wont kill us, then the tree will.

Kukulkan

Learned
filp flopping to B, because yeah if this tree is also part of the other one, well one word overkill.o_O
Yet the problem remains, what did we gain by coming there? We know if the masters wont kill us, then the tree will.
Well when the tree gobbles the planet up we know were to hitch a ride out of planet Earth.

Baltika9

Arcane
Well, here's hoping Dio will still be there at Olympus when we arrive.
Thanks for the mini-update, treave.

Here's hoping we can actually defeat Dio and his master and the clones. And btw - Naram is the sphere. Damn. This is bad. Don't you think this is at all interesting though? We have the opportunity to devour Naram with our sword in one update and the tree with our sword in the other. Still saying you guys should pick A, but whatever.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The planet becomes a lifeless, shrunken hunk of rock should the tree complete its cycle. As for the end of the world and the LP, that rather depends on what shape Ean makes it out in. It's still possible to save the world at this point, and also possible to get a game over for saving the world.

The sneak peek I posted is just a chunk of the planned update with several more spoilerific parts removed. Don't pay it too much attention.

Baltika9

Arcane
So you pretty much had enough of us shitting all over your hard work and this is our last chance to save the LP?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Gieloth network is pretty much dead. Most of the Gieloth turned into the tree back then, meaning that they are for all intents and purposes gone, no longer sentient players.

Edit: Nah, you guys built a great world. I just figured I wanted to try my hand, experiment with something more personal and character driven, meaning I need to do some remodelling.. That's a big weakness with this one, too many throwaway characters because the scope necessitates I do so if I don't want to write pages for each update and slow things down. Lots of stuff that would be less awkward if fleshed out.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Bah. Pussies, all of you. I go for the devour tree plan.

The tree will kill the Earth. Ean has fought to preserve the Earth and humanity. This "promise" to save maybe 100.000 people? That's nice, if they can actually make good on it. But what of the rest of humanity? Just up and abandon them? That's not very Ean like.

Remember, this isn't something done because of deep hunger stirring in Ean. This is something he does because he feels he has to, out of duty to mankind. Not to stifle some stirring in his gut.
If anyone can do it, it's Ean.

A

Baltika9

Arcane
A- 6 Tome, Lambchop19, GreyViper, Azira, Storyfag, Baltika9
B- 6 Esquilax, root, Kayerts, Tigranes, Kukulkan, m4davis
Right now, B has the lead. Although the warnings from the A bloc about the Gieloth stripping the planet are not hollow: the longer we let it be, the more resources it will consume. If we do end up saving both Ean and the world, we may find that there isn't much of it left for humanity to inhabit.
But what of the rest of humanity? Just up and abandon them? That's not very Ean like.Remember, this isn't something done because of deep hunger stirring in Ean. This is something he does because he feels he has to, out of duty to mankind. Not to stifle some stirring in his gut. If anyone can do it, it's Ean.
Oh goddammit, pressing all my weak points. If B wins, we may spend the rest of our lives one hour wondering what might have been. Fuck, charging into Olympus with Hamburger Fatboy, Naram/Zee, an enslaved Dio with the Sekblade, Dagrun and Shulgi while being weaker than Athena does sound suicidal.
Bah. Pussies, all of you. I go for the devour tree plan.
:x

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Energy wise, the tree will be enough to keep you fed for a thousand years at least.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom