Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Tigranes

Arcane
Years of modern and postmodern literature have assured us that when something is far too big and powerful to comprehend, you'll probably end up just fine.

B

Baltika9

Arcane
They've invited us into the house-- we're that much closer to an orgy!
Or, worse yet, their child-like psyches need a father-figure for proper guidance and they want to "play house" with Ean, so to speak. Meaning we'll have to solve an Eldritch Abomination's daddy issues before Ean is free to leave.

newcomer

Learned
LET'S PLAY :baby:

So... I wonder whether we can adopt these terasphagos spheres as Ean's children & bring them in human form back to our world...

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Bandwagon.

Chapter 6.17: Playtime

Inside the palace, the corridors and walls were lit up as if it were day, instead of whatever passed for time in the gods-forsaken place you were in. The bricks looked like bricks, but that was where the similarities ended. Everything was white. They appeared to be rough, but as you stretched your hand closer to touch it, they smoothed out. Taking great care not to slip, you make your way through the familiar passages of your own palace. As you proceed, the tapestries begin to take on colour, and the textures stop turning smooth as you approach. Soon, the imitation was near perfect. You hear the sphere say something.

"HERE."

"COME."

"PLAY."

You stop in front of your bedroom - the voices were coming from within. You lay your hand on the door and push it open, slowly. What greeted your eyes wasn't your bedroom after all, but a place that you had not seen in hundreds of years. It had been your home for ten years, and then you had exchanged it for Sargon's barracks. A gaggle of children surround you excitedly, pulling at your clothes.

"Ean! It's Ean! He's back!"

"What did you bring us today? Did you win? You showed them, right?"

"Food! Ean's bringing food!"

Memories came rushing back into your head. The faces were familiar, but a frown darkened your face as you realize you can no longer remember their names. The orphans you ran with back in Kish are long dead, murdered and violated even before you joined Sargon. But such was the way of the world for the powerless, wasn't it?

"Ean! Let's play!"

A small child with a crooked smile giggles as she throws a ball at you. Without thinking, you catch it and toss it back at her. The action feels familiar. What was her name? You only know she clung to you the most, and that before you left, you gave her rapist a slow, slow death.

"But did you, really? Or is that just a revenge fantasy of yours?"

You turn your head and see another girl looking at you. She was more grown up than the others, but only slightly. Her... you remembered. Dark hair, cut short. Skinny. Big, bright eyes that she had always been proud of. You had agreed it was her best asset - her only asset, and she had pushed you into a ditch. The last time you saw those eyes they had been dug out. You open your mouth to call out her name, but only a strangled noise escapes your throat. You don't recall her name either. You remember everything you did together. Everything.

Everything but her name.

"How long has it been since you remembered me?" smiles the girl. You remember that smile.

"Maybe a few hundred years?" You offer a weak smile in return, feeling slightly guilty.

"Only slightly? That's sad. You threw us away and went to live a life of luxury, Emperor. Pretty good for a boy from the street who keeps getting into trouble that I get him out of, but a bit ungrateful don't you think?" She put her hands on her hips, glaring at you. You remember that pose.

"You were all... dead. I took revenge for you. The one that... I killed him myself. He suffered."

"Did you really? Or did you just spend the nights fantasizing of what you would do if you found them until you were convinced you actually did do the deed, and were satisfied? You did, didn't you?"

"I... no. I did do it. I remember." You do remember the blood... you think. You also remember that this is not real. They were all fakes. Creations of the weirdest thing you have ever seen, and you have seen many.

"Well, if you say so." the girl shrugs. "Let's play a game."

"Sure," you grin, finding your composure again. "What do you want to play?"

"I'll ask you to do something. If you do it, you win. If you don't, you lose. Simple."

"That's more of a threat, not a game."

"Oh, when have you started being so nit-picky and disobedient, Ean?"

"I grew up. Adults are bad." you chuckle. "What happens if I win... what happens if I lose?"

"If you win, you get to go home. If you lose, you get to go home."

"What's the difference then?"

"Mm... I don't know! That's the fun of it!" She giggles.

You sigh. It wasn't as if you had any other choice but to play along. You nod. "Shall we start the game then?"

She claps her hands with a bright smile on her face, and all the kids gather around her. Five... seven... eight children, in total. There was the cry-baby boy that was always shy around you. Behind him, the smartest kid of your gang, who had learnt how to read and write and count even though he was much younger than you.

"Ean!" shouts the girl, an excited, happy look on her face. She spreads her arms. "Kill us." You take a step back, surprised at the demand. "What's the matter? It should be easy. Draw that sword of yours." She points at Anbar-Shi. "Kill us. It should be easy. You don't even remember my name, right? We're just unwanted things from the past. We're fakes. Cut us down. Slice us up." Her smile twists, growing wicked. "Eat me, if that pleases you."

You laugh nervously. "You're too young to be saying things like that."

"This is the game. Kill us."

"Kill us! Kill us!" echoes the children. Your hand closes over Anbar-Shi's hilt. It pulses warmly, comfortingly, in the dirty little room that was full of warmth when you came in, but now seemed so very cold.

A. You do it.

B. You don't.

Kipeci

Arcane
The only question now is whether we prefer to insert our hyper weapons into dead flesh or the living, so I'll go for the latter!

B.

Tigranes

Arcane
Oooooooooooooooooooooookay.

So apparently, the LP just went from a Tale of Empire-Building and Intrigue to Evangelion Mach II.

Don't ask me about the vote, I have no idea.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
We should be back on track with normal-ish stuff in two updates at the most. Perhaps sooner, depending on what you pick.

Baltika9

Arcane
This is the Spheres' test of Ean's morality, bros. As in, what is he: human or devourer? I think the spheres are trying to gauge his usefulness to them. And since they are devourers, I think it's pretty clear what they want from him...I think.

Since they aren't real, might as well. The good guy option seems...too natural.
A for now, but can definitely be convinced.
B.
Also, the "you go home or you go home" apparently means two different "homes." As in, one that we currently have and one that we...had? Send Ean back in time?
treave: are the Gieloth on Earth all that's left?

Anabanana

Augur
(I have no idea what's going on. Fuck.)

..........KILL THE CHILDREN. A. Flopping to B.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
treave: are the Gieloth on Earth all that's left?

Nope, there's more scattered across the galaxy, but not much more. Sekhenun estimates their population to be less than 10 million, at least that she knows of. Most spores don't survive.

Baltika9

Arcane
Well, fuck. I feel like we're talking to the Sphinx.

And the answer depends on one thing: are these spheres Ego "The Living Planet" expies or gigantic embryos that use the Terrasphagos to feed themselves, like plants use roots.
You guys are just lucky I abandoned my first draft of having them be gigantic flying golden babies.
The symbolism may be about more than just "lol golden babiez."
... Esquilax, I choose you! Get over here.
Edit:
B. Ean does not kill children and innocents, spectral or not.
Or, maybe the only way to win is to fuck the circumstances and be Ean? The stereotypical do-gooder?

Esquilax

Arcane
I don't care about the golden baby symbolism, treave might have been joking, and in any case, it's irrelevant.

This is the Spheres' test of Ean's morality, bros. As in, what is he: human or devourer? I think the spheres are trying to gauge his usefulness to them. And since they are devourers, I think it's pretty clear what they want from him...I think.

Since they aren't real, might as well. The good guy option seems...too natural.
A for now, but can definitely be convinced.

Your analysis is right, but just because they aren't real doesn't mean that they don't matter. These are fragments of Ean's psyche from when he was still human, so in a sense they are very real because they're the shreds of "good" that are still left in him despite his condition. These connections to his past keep Ean on an even keel, so they matter a lot. I have a feeling that if we kill these kids, Anbar-Shi is going to finally awaken and become a sentient, evil entity that might be as much of a curse to us a blessing:

Your hand closes over Anbar-Shi's hilt. It pulses warmly, comfortingly, in the dirty little room that was full of warmth when you came in, but now seemed so very cold.

On the other hand, it's very clear that these spheres are malicious trickster types and they probably delight in toying with us. They've told us that "winning" means murder, while "losing" means not playing the game at all. Clearly "going home" in both scenarios isn't the same thing. A might mean Ean gets to return home, but loses his old self completely and becomes as great a threat to humankind as Marduk/The Masters are, while B might mean we go home post-strip mining if the rest of our crew hasn't managed to take care of the situation.

Or, maybe the only way to win is to fuck the circumstances and be Ean? The stereotypical do-gooder?

Do these spheres seem like they would appreciate Ean's morality? Doing the right thing will be extremely painful.

I don't know, this is all kinds of fucked up. I told you guys that hopping into the rift was a shitty idea.

newcomer

Learned
I guess all this can be summarized in two choice:

A. Return as an evil being. DEVOUR SOUL!
B. Return with more fucked-up condition but maintain morality

I prefer B of those choices

Baltika9

Arcane
I don't know, this is all kinds of fucked up. I told you guys that hopping into the rift was a shitty idea.
And you wanted to skip this altogether. Where's the fun in that?

Perhaps you are right and if we pick the "moral" option, we'll return to Earth's husk. But, what is better: to become the very monster we're fighting against, or have a shot at setting things right?
Besides which, I doubt they have the power to alter the flow time. Even the Masters can't. And if they throw us into another dimension...well, it's not ours. And if there's a way in, there must be a way out.
We (more like you, I can't take credit for that one) left a strong Empire, an aware China, Immortals and Gieloth that, more likely than not, will fight for the planet. Our dimension is likely safe.

But maybe, just maybe, they are testing Ean's resolve? Looking to see how strong his conviction is? I know, wishful thinking.
Flopped. An hero 'till the end.

Baltika9

Arcane
I can't wait to see Ean tel his bros what happened.
"Here I was, standing on the other side of the rift and, I shit you not, a wild sphere appeared..."

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
NOOOOOO, I didn't manage to vote in the past few updates (I would have voted B just as Esquilax had suggested, not that it would matter anyway). The choice is simple really.
B

TOME

Cuckmaster General
The sphere is trying to get to our world through Anbar-Shi. Think about it. We kill those children with the sword, their essence is transfered to the sword, and we go back to Earth with it. The sphere gets a free ride to through the rift and eventually might take control of the Anbar-Shi/Ean. Killing those spectres might still be our only shot to get back home. Just kill them without Anbar-Shi.

A (without Anbar-Shi).

TOME

Cuckmaster General
The sphere is trying to get to our world through Anbar-Shi. Think about it. We kill those children with the sword, their essence is transfered to the sword, and we go back to Earth with it. The sphere gets a free ride to through the rift and eventually might take control of the Anbar-Shi/Ean. Killing those spectres might still be our only shot to get back home. Just kill them without Anbar-Shi.

A (without Anbar-Shi).

TOME

Cuckmaster General

A (without Anbar-Shi).

TOME

Cuckmaster General

A (without Anbar-Shi).

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Wow, a quadruple post! :salute:

I don't think your vote will be counted four times however..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom