Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Whether we choose A or B I don't like the sneaky options. She already knows who we are and why we are here and if the invitation goes missing now we are going to be the only possible suspect. Let's not add the reputation as a thief to ourselves as well if we can help it.

With A she might buy into our story or not - but stealing the invitation is definitely going to cause some major legal problems for us. After all, why wouldn't she immediately report the thing stolen?

With B she might well be too embarrassed to tell her husband, sure. But why bother when B2 allows us to get the invitation without pissing her off in the first place? And there's a good chance he will find out anyway, either from chambermaids or the girl following us, and between the reputation as a adulterer or adulterer and a thief I'm choosing the former. Especially since the husband could then bring charges against us for stealing the damn thing. We will remain here through the whole winter at least, and this will come back to bite us in the ass. No, stealing it now that everybody knows we want it is just too risky.

Baltika9

Arcane
More like jealous that the "virgin" actually got some and insecure that he didn't take her bait. "What, am I not good enough for you?" Come to think of it, this may help us with our girl problems all at once.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Good points about Yunzi and getting blackmailed by Qilin. I might flop to A2.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Baltika9 said:
Come to think of it, this may help us with our girl problems all at once.
Yup, by being chased out of town.

I don't think she cares much for Jing to be jealous (you are just having fun, aren't you?), but let's suppose so. The girl does not wait long to settle her debts when it comes to pissing her off. She will tell on us. All she needs is to drop a hint to the husband, he'll ask a maid about us and then it all goes downhill.

That is, if she doesn't tell him all the juicy details herself. In public, to ensure that no rational resolution could be attempted. She just might.

Most probably, though, she'll prefer to hold us on a short leash at least until she milks us for what it's worth. What happens next is pure guesswork.

If you want to go B, at least don't bank on the fact that no one will be any the wiser.

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I'm voting B2 just to punish you guys for not using the laxatives before. I hope it wins so I can laugh at Jing, the adulterer who won't cheat.

Esquilax

Arcane
Whether we choose A or B I don't like the sneaky options. She already knows who we are and why we are here and if the invitation goes missing now we are going to be the only possible suspect. Let's not add the reputation as a thief to ourselves as well if we can help it.

With A she might buy into our story or not - but stealing the invitation is definitely going to cause some major legal problems for us. After all, why wouldn't she immediately report the thing stolen?

Yep, she'll report a stolen item from A1. She won't report an item stolen by a man who came in and had sex with her.

With B she might well be too embarrassed to tell her husband, sure. But why bother when B2 allows us to get the invitation without pissing her off in the first place? And there's a good chance he will find out anyway, either from chambermaids or the girl following us, and between the reputation as a adulterer or adulterer and a thief I'm choosing the former. Especially since the husband could then bring charges against us for stealing the damn thing. We will remain here through the whole winter at least, and this will come back to bite us in the ass. No, stealing it now that everybody knows we want it is just too risky.

You don't know that it won't piss her off. I just know from the description of the scholar's wife that she feels neglected and lonely. Turning a hot affair into a business transaction will more than likely infuriate her, causing us to leave with nothing. She wants the attention and affection that she hasn't been getting from her husband. A2 will work, but it will likely lead to us into conflict with the husband once he finds out the stupid shit that his wife traded his invitation for, while B1 will keep things quiet. The angry wife might try to get back at us covertly in the future, however.

I don't think Qinlin or the chambermaids will be in a position to blackmail us. What is he going to believe, a thief who isn't even Han? A mistress of his that might want to replace the missus?

I don't think she cares much for Jing to be jealous (you are just having fun, aren't you?), but let's suppose so. The girl does not wait long to settle her debts when it comes to pissing her off. She will tell on us. All she needs is to drop a hint to the husband, he'll ask a maid about us and then it all goes downhill.

That is, if she doesn't tell him all the juicy details herself. In public, to ensure that no rational resolution could be attempted. She just might.

Most probably, though, she'll prefer to hold us on a short leash at least until she milks us for what it's worth. What happens next is pure guesswork.

If you want to go B, at least don't bank on the fact that no one will be any the wiser.

:hmmm:

This is very dumb. Why the hell would she tell her husband that she slept with another man? This makes absolutely no sense at all.

Nevill

Arcane
Esquilax said:
Why the hell would she tell her husband that she slept with another man?
:hmmm:
Last time I heard, Qilin was single.

Esquilax said:
I don't think Qinlin or the chambermaids will be in a position to blackmail us. What is he going to believe, a thief who isn't even Han?
Qilin's father is a fellow, ffs.

Tigranes

Arcane
It has to be A2 or B1, or even C1. If we are going to sell a potion it makes sense to manipulate her desires and push for a sale; it's not like she will take the potion tonight. If we are going to bone her we can try and steal it, but for reasons of a certain annoying girl monitoring us and the chambermaids that might not be so easy. I'm inclined to C1 even, so that we can try and manipulate the chambermaids instead of the madam... heck, might give us a better night out.

Baltika9

Arcane
Good points about Yunzi and getting blackmailed by Qilin. I might flop to A2.
Actually, if we're worried about being followed and blackmailed, bying it is the stupidest thing to do:
thers trade it for favours, though outright selling the invitation for money appears to be a taboo and could lead to a revocation of their fellowship
Bying is a no-no and the best blackmail we can give her against us.
(you are just having fun, aren't you?)
Mostly, yeah. :lol:
But Quilin's "I'm a real woman, you have no chance with me!" act does make me wonder if she's just trying too hard to make Jing dance to her strings. Showing her that we don't give a fuck will just make her insecure. That is, if she's shadowing us in the first place.

If there's an alternative I'll go for, it's C1: makes use of our skills and talents, gives us a chance to practice them too. A is just stupid for reasons stated above. And then there's Yunzi. :(
Edit:
I'm voting B2 just to punish you guys for not using the laxatives before. I hope it wins so I can laugh at Jing, the adulterer who won't cheat.
She's married and we're the adulterer?

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Ok, let's do it the old school way.

A1 - we take part in a fraud, and then thievery. It is going to be obvious who stole the invite. If we prove ourselves a scoundrel to the madam, our fraud will be discovered, too. When the husband returns, she will tell him one hell of a tale about our exploits. Of course, she'll be the victim. Might lead to a confrontation later on, and get us thrown out of the manor.
A2 - we indulge ourselves in just a fraud, and we pay for the invitation 'fair and square'. Madam will have no reason to suspect us, and when the truth comes out, the husband might get a chuckle out of it. He has no need for an invitation anyway, and does not have much respect for the wife, either, as he flirts with the maids in broad daylight. A somewhat safe option.
B1 - we indulge in adultery and then thievery, with a higher risk of being noticed by the maids. The wife won't tell, but if our affair ever comes to light, there will be hell to pay. A 'gambling' option.
B2 - just an adultery, with a possibility of madam being insulted by our bargaining. I don't see it any more dangerous then B1. It's not like she will tell him anyway.

Qilin is in a good position to expose our trist. What we stand to lose in this case:
1) Depending on the manner in which it is exposed, we might have to stop our medical practice and leave town. Possibly with assassins on the tail (the husband can afford it, and if his honor would be at stake, he might hire some). Now that I think of it, our practice might be endangered in A1. too. Yao would be pissed.
2) Cao'er will not think higher of us, either. I still hope that she will teach us the receipt for the temporary antidote one day, if not THE antidote.
3) If Qilin won't rat us out, we'll have to make concessions. She'll probably want us to help her succeeding in a trial, at our own expense. If we refuse, see 1 - our success won't make us much good.

Lambchop19 said:
Much risk, little to gain. It is good for a punishing option, but not much else.

Of course, there is C...

Baltika9 said:
Actually, if we're worried about being followed and blackmailed, bying it is the stupidest thing to do [...] Bying is a no-no and the best blackmail we can give her against us.
Ah, but we would be trading it for a favor, see? It's how you spin the tale that matters.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Revenge voting, seriously? That's just dumb, guys.
Ah, but we would be trading it for a favor, see? It's how you spin the tale that matters.
Blackmail isn't about what we say, it's about her story. If that's your concern then A isn't the way to go.

Nevill

Arcane
Baltika9 said:
Blackmail isn't about what we say, it's about her story. If that's your concern then A isn't the way to go.
I'm afraid I don't get what you are trying to convey.

I am worried about flirting and being exposed, which the husband can verify through the maids. This will require action on his part, and it will not be pretty.

Qilin blackmailing us because she says we got an invitation for money? It's her word against ours, and our end of the story could be verified, too. If anything, the husband himself would cover us - he would not want to have his fellowship revoked over something his wife did.

Ok, let's do it the old school way.

I think that is a good breakdown, yes. I'm still undecided about whether to stay with B2 or flop to A2. A2 strikes me as less risky, sure (at most we risk our reputation as an apprentice healer, but at least we will not be giving Quilin any more blackmail material against us), but also less likely to bring results than getting her into bed. On the other hand, there is always the prefect option if this should fail... I'll think about it.

Nevill

Arcane
Zero Credibility said:
but also less likely to bring results than getting her into bed.
We've got Intelligence, we've got Charisma, and we are good with words. We've been practicing this for a long while now. We give off the impression of being honest by virtue of being young. We use our Master's reputation as a leverage. Most importantly, she wants to believe us. If this was D&D, situational bonuses would be stacked up to heavens.

Baltika9 said:
If there's an alternative I'll go for, it's C1
I'm good with C. Anything but B. The horror, the horror. :eek:

Last edited:

Jester

Arbiter
Zero Credibility said:
but also less likely to bring results than getting her into bed.
We've got Intelligence, we've got Charisma, and we are good with words. We've been practicing this for the whole year. We give off the impression of being honest by virtue of being young. We use our Master's reputation as a leverage. Most importantly, she wants to believe us. If this was D&D, situational bonuses would be stacked up to heavens.
Paper rpg system joke Jester aproves. Still getting her to come by herself and getting her after lots of persuasion rolls are two different things.

Baltika9

Arcane
Qilin blackmailing us because she says we got an invitation for money? It's her word against ours, and our end of the story could be verified, too. If anything, the husband himself would cover us - he would not want to have his fellowship revoked over something his wife did.
You said it yourself, her father is a Fellow so she is more likely to be believed. If anything, she'll forve us to help her in the trials, but nothing says we can't outsmart her and get a win for ourselves too. Will she tell the husband? Probably not, she'll like having us in her pocket for the competition and screwing the Madam will, quite frankly, probably make her insecure, what with the whole "I'm a goddess, you have no chance." Thing is, we can turn Jing's charms on her too, hormones make idiots of everyone and she's kinda attracted to him:
“Master Yao, you raised such a rude apprentice,” the girl says as she sprawls into a chair in an unlady-like posture. “Then again, he’s just a kid after all.”

“Right, and poisoning me in the street was an adult thing to do, right?” you retort at the girl who can’t be older than you are.

“Ah, but you fell for a woman’s touch, didn’t you, boy?” she smiles, with a hint of mockery in her lips. You can’t find any words to respond this time – she is right. You did let down your guard partially because she was a cute girl. She giggles, batting her eyelashes. “Nothing to be ashamed of. An adult woman’s charms are irresistable to a virgin boy.”

“Oh yeah?” you sneer. If she’s going to continue provoking you... “Like that body of yours is anywhere near a real adult’s. I’ve seen the real thing, and you just don’t have the curves.”

The girl flushes red. “Wha-“

You and Qilin nod quietly. As Yao turns back to his books, she sidles up to you on the bed. You edge away from her, sensing a threat of some sort.

“Are you still mad?” she says, her voice suddenly low and timid. “I didn’t mean it, you know.”

“No, not really,” you say awkwardly, though you still remain highly suspicious of her motives.

Before you know it, she presses against you from behind tightly, her arms draped over your chest. It looks like you may actually have to retract that comment about not having curves. You feel her breath tickling your ear. “I’m sorry.” And then, she bites it gently.

“Hey, what are you-“ Even the chambermaids weren’t this forward.

“Hush now,” she whispers. “It won’t be long.” Her arm moves up your chest and under your robes. Somehow you can't find the strength to pull away from her. Yao snorts loudly, muttering about kids nowadays. Cao’er is already at the corner of the room, drawing circles with her fingers while making darting glances from between her tangled mat of hair.

You feel something slither into your clothes, traveling down south.

“What was that?”

She’s already pushed herself away from you, a cruel, mocking smile on her face. “Just my pet snake, Xiaoqing. She has all the curves you’d want in a lady.”
Hope that doesn't ruin our chances with Yunzi.
Edit:
We use our Master's reputation as a leverage.
There's danger in this. Our reputation is ours to risk, our master's isn't. I don't think he would appreciate if we start throwing his name around while we are peddling miracle cures.
excellent point, Yao will be pissed if we drag his name and professional integrity through the mud, he has a lot of pride in his work.

Nevill

Arcane
Baltika9 said:
You said it yourself, her father is a Fellow so she is more likely to be believed.
I also said there is another Fellow who does not want to endanger his membership. A daughter of a Fellow versus a Fellow, my bet is on the latter.

Baltika9 said:
If anything, she'll forve us to help her in the trials, but nothing says we can't outsmart her and get a win for ourselves too. Will she tell the husband? Probably not, she'll like having us in her pocket for the competition...
The question is, are you going to submit to the whims of the girl that threw a snake down your pants for a snide remark? It is not healthy. Oh, and what happens after the competition? Do you intend to win her over by then? You might want to start your relationship from a different position instead of her pocket, then.

Baltika9 said:
... and screwing the Madam will, quite frankly, probably make her insecure, what with the whole "I'm a goddess, you have no chance."
You've GOT to be kidding. :/

Zero Credibility said:
I don't think he would appreciate if we start throwing his name around while we are peddling miracle cures.
We are not doing it on a regular basis. If anything, so far we had improved his reputation by trying to smooth things over with his patients. Time to tap into this reserve, I say.

Oh, and if you want to see Yao pissed, just you wait until the whole town learns of your private adventures.

Zero Credibility said:
On the other hand, there is always the prefect option if this should fail... I'll think about it.
Yeah, I'd rather be a government's dog than an old fugly hag's bitch. Hindsight is 20/20. I know.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
You've GOT to be kidding. :/
Would a secure, mentally stable person follow us through the whole city at night to someone else's home, after poisoning and sicking her snake on us might I add, and then watch us screw a woman twice our age? I'm just sayin' that if she really does all of that (which she may not, it's not a fact she's even following us) then that will make her an insecure psycho stalker. Creepy, but we can use that.
Edit:
Oh, and if you want to see Yao pissed, just you wait until the whole town learns of your private adventures.
He doesn't care about that, at most he'll laugh. I'm pretty sure he's done it himself more than once.

Nevill

Arcane
Baltika9 said:
Would a secure, mentally stable person follow us through the whole city at night to someone else's home, after poisoning and sicking her snake on us might I add, and then watch us screw a woman twice our age?
Would a secure, mentally stable person poison someone in the middle of the street for hello? The girl is as barmy as they come. And also vindictive.

I am suspicious of her involvement with The Wudu Cult, but everyone knows I am paranoid at this point. Let's settle on the fact that her agenda is unknown to us, if she even has one.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

This is very dumb. Why the hell would she tell her husband that she slept with another man? This makes absolutely no sense at all.
Because the whole reason she's sleeping with us is to get back at him for fooling around with the staff? Seriously, catch a clue, bro. Women can't keep quiet about this kind of shit. They're creatures of emotion, not logic. Sooner or later it WILL come out.

And I'll laugh when it does. :D

edit: I love these new smilies btw.

She's married and we're the adulterer?
Yes, that's how it works. She is too, if it makes you feel better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah, the probable presence of Qilin in addition to make everything else makes B unpalatable. A2 > C1.

Nevill

Arcane
He doesn't care about that, at most he'll laugh. I'm pretty sure he's done it himself more than once.
He'll care when the resentful, dishonored and influental husband will drive us out of the city, and even if he doesn't, no married man and no daughter's father would open his door to his apprentice without supervising us 24/7. This isn't the kind of reputation he'd want to follow him either.

Let's make it official. Flopped to A2>C1.

Baltika9

Arcane
He'll care when the resentful, dishonored and influental husband will drive us out of the city, and even if he doesn't, no married man and no daughter's father would open his door to his apprentice without supervising us 24/7. This isn't the kind of reputation he'd want to follow him either.
Being a charlatan will anger him much more, though, if that's what you're worried about. Sorry, but I just don't see A working out well for us. B can cause problems too, C1 is just straight up burglary but it's the most palatable option (that can actually work) and the Miao girl will still have leverage on us no matter what we do, so might as well stop worrying about that.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom