Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for games with airstrikes

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looking for games with airstrikes/strafing, games where planes play a prominent role. Must be real-time, could be strategy, flight-sim or even arcade. Visuals are important.

Games with fun airstrikes:

Realwar-RTS
Pacific Storm-RTS plus you can control planes so you can do divebombing/torpedoing/strafing.

I don't like C&C's crappy planes and choppers.

I especially like taking a plane off a carrier and bombing people. Guided or non-guided ordnance also can. I love shooting ships with unguided rockets. BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!

Destroid

Arcane
I always enjoyed ground attack missions in Il-2 Sturmovik, there are a great variety of different weapons you can use. Shooting guys from a helicopter in BF2 is also great fun.

Devil

Scholar
World in Conflict - your perfect choice when you want to bomb the shit out of everybody.

overtenemy

Augur
DCS: Black Shark and DCS: A-10C for sick air to ground flight sims. Many other sims have air to ground obviously, but these two focus very specifically on air to ground aircraft, so they're pretty much what you want in the sim department. Modern. If you get either send me a PM, we will jump start Codex flight squad and it will be fun. Il-2 was also mentioned, it does feature a lot of bombers, so. That too. Or really just look at any of the billions of sims I haven't played, most of them will have bombs.

Combat Mission: Shock Force features airstrikes, though they can be effective and important they're not totally awesome or visually stunning. Don't know if this is what you want. Tactical, either real-time or phase based. Modern.

Achtung Panzer! Kharkov 1943 has Stukas and Sturmoviks. Tactical, real time, with a turn based operational element. Aircraft are not omnipresent but can be extremely effective. Huge fan of this game.

Steel Fury: Kharkov 1942 is a real time tank simulator that allows you some very basic tactical control over subordinates, including air strikes.

Panzer Command series features bombers. Tactical, phase based like Combat Mission. WW2.

Steel Panthers has aircraft. Awesome, classic, turn based, WW2.

I guess Panzer General? People seem to like that, but meh. I don't think it'd scratch the itch you have very well.

Armored Brigade is a real time tactical level simulator with a very heavy emphasis on realism. Aircraft are naturally involved. Late Cold War.

Fleet Command is a modern real time fleet simulator. That of course involves carriers which then involve aircraft. Very big air element here. You will shoot many missiles at many things. As I understand it, may be simple compared to Harpoon. Never played Harpoon so I can't tell you. Prob check that out too.

If you wanted STRATEGY strategy, not ridiculous RTS crap, aircraft naturally play a huge role in the Hearts of Iron series. Also, pretty much any operational war game from WW2 on. Just pick one. Though I'm not sure this is exactly what you're looking for.

Operation Flashpoint, Arma and Arma 2 feature basic flight simulation. It's simplified to the point of being ridiculous, but the aircraft are very effective and are therefore a huge force when involved in a mission. I think they're generally underutilized by most mission makers, but there's definitely been some great missions involving aircraft. Also send me a PM if you get this and want to become a pilot type.

Currently can't think of anything else that really has the player involved with the aircraft/is good. If I do, I'll edit.

Destroid

Arcane
I should give Black Shark a crack some day, helicopters are much more fun than jets. The crazy controls are a bit of a barrier to my in modern flight sims, it's one thing to fly a simulated plane from the 40s - quite another to fly something from the 80s+.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Command & Conquer? :troll:

Prominent role...huh. There's gotta be some of those Paradox-esque games where you command the Pacific Fleet in WW2 and fight naval battles.

Destroid

Arcane
I think the op is looking for more of a AWSUM ESPLOSHUNS!!! experience than paradox (or TB strategy games) would offer.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
World in Conflict is entirely about air and artillery strikes. You have some soldiers, and you sit them in one spot and then spend the whole mission waiting for air strikes to come off cooldown.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Devil said:
World in Conflict - your perfect choice when you want to bomb the shit out of everybody.

With the Soviet Assault expansion the mission where you lead a Soviet convoy to safety and have to direct only airforces to blast the hordes of American units coming to fuck you up is HEAVAN!!!! So many pretty explosions, so many destroyed KWA vehicles....

Also try Enemy Engaged Commanche Hokum for a good flight sim that you don't need to read a 600 page manual just to get off the ground. Helicopter sims are the best for getting in close and dirty to see your handiwork.

The best pretty explosions in a Heli game are in Commanche 4 though. Very hollywood, very arcade but a lot of fun. YOU GET A LOT OF SHIP SHOOTING WITH UNGUIDED ROCKETS TOO. ;)

Then there's the golden oldies that are still great if you can stomach them like the Longbow series.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Heroes of the Pacific sounds like a good game for you! Has the excellent P-38 Lightning plane, which should come with some unguided rockets you so much desire.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Wings of Fury!

Wings_Of_Fury_07.png

But seriously. It's an arcade game where you control a fighter/bomber plane in ww2; you start off an airplane carrier and proceed to bomb a japanese village. Dogfights, torpedoing enemy carriers, etc. Excellent arcade game, playable on any c64 emulator

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Dambusters is a flight sim based on the movie. You pilot a fighter bomber that must drop a bomb on the dam to burst it. Not quite an airstrike, but there you go.

The American Revolt expansion pack for Syndicate had an Airstrike! feature that had fighter jets fly overhead and rake the ground with machine gun fire and EXPLOSIONS!! Loads of fun in multiplayer. Again, not quite what you are looking for.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Seal Team is one of the first squad based fps games ever and has you play the part of the leader of a navy seal team during the Vietnam war. It has an absolute shitload of missions and basically lets you loose in the mission area to do your thing. Ambushing patrols, finding enemy info, taking out bunkers, eliminating high ranked individuals and rescuing stranded airman are just a few things to do. Many missions are based on actual engagements and thus have a few nice (or nasty) turns. One for instance has you inserting by helicopter into a regular mission that turns out to be a massive ambush or another one in which you get to attack a VC funeral.

Oh, and you can call in all sorts of support. Including airstrikes.

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/260/SEAL+Team.html

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
If you don't absolutely love how the air units in Total Annihilation work you are a filthy subhuman who should get the fuck out of my codex.

Air superiority fighters looping darting rolling and spinning at inhuman speeds evading missles, bombers saturating the shit out of hardened targets, flak cannons bringing them spinning down in flames on structures itz HEAAAVANNNN

also there are nukes

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just finished playing Heroes Of The Pacific. Lots of airstrikes.

But...

Very arcadey, you shoot down 100+ planes in 1 mission, and single-handedly sink 10+ ships as you have bomb regen. You also have 10 times the health of other planes. Ships behave like bosses as well, you can only hurt them in stages.

Still fun though.

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory as Field Ops.
You can call artillery bombing with binoculars and airstrike with signal smoke grenade.
Enemy territory: Quake Wars has deployable artillery, airstrikes, plus you can call giant laser strike as a Strogg Field Ops.
Man, too bad Splash damage don't support it anymore, i played the shit out of ET:QW Demo 2.0, shit was sooo cash.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom