Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Long Live Wizardry! (And The All-New Games By Ex-Wizardry Developers) - UPDATED: MARCH/07/2016

Comte

Nice man you go the thread stickied. When I first came in here today I was like where the fuck did the Wizardry thread go after scrolling down a bunch.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
https://www.taito.co.jp/wizrogue
j2DIbNu.png

So - this is a hybrid game of Wizardry and a Roguelike. Already available on Android, but not in the US or in English.

Well, time to start learning Japanese.... I've dreamed of a game like this!

I don't know, game could be awesome or not, but it doesn't look related to Wizardry past the title and fonts.

wizrogue_tablet_img.png

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
unfortunately for some reason my brofisting abilities were revoked because i dug up old Blobber threads asking for recommendations for blobbers to play in GRPG and I pasted the list of available blobbers found in this thread.

it hurts a little, i won't lie; but anyway from now on i'll simply post "Brofist!" and tag the Codexer.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
unfortunately for some reason my brofisting abilities were revoked because i dug up old Blobber threads asking for recommendations for blobbers to play in GRPG and I pasted the list of available blobbers found in this thread.

it hurts a little, i won't lie; but anyway from now on i'll simply post "Brofist!" and tag the Codexer.
It is not you. Brofists are gone. Deader than THAC0

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
crazy stuff. i remember when i used to lobby all the time to have brofists removed and to have join dates removed so that posters' posts would be judged on their own merits... but like everyone else i fell victim to the lure of the brofist.

Comte

Here's a Brofist aweigh :bro:

Hey I found the Lords Armor in Wizardry 1 it asks if I want to invoke it's power what does this do?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
as a general rule of thumb it's almost NEVER worth it invoking an item's power unless you already have one of it and can spare it. yes, generally they give good shit like +1's to attributes (which in Wizardry can mean a world of difference; ESPECIALLY when it comes to STR/VIT), a flat amount of extra hit points (usually 10-20 which is not too shabby), and other crap but... really, which do you prefer: an AWESOME ARMOR or a +1 to an attribute you can get through other means?

the exception to the rule are shields and Misc. Items (which usually result in your character turning into a ghost or some other cruel shit, but you never know. the glass slippers class change into a priest after killing your character is one famous example.... assuming he survives the resurrection).

the only item you should always invoke are the class changing ones like the hermit's knife, the butterfly knife and the thieve's dagger and the lord's shield (note: names change depending on version of game). assuming of course you want to class change into what they change you into.

Alchemist

Arcane
https://www.taito.co.jp/wizrogue
j2DIbNu.png

So - this is a hybrid game of Wizardry and a Roguelike. Already available on Android, but not in the US or in English.

Well, time to start learning Japanese.... I've dreamed of a game like this!

I don't know, game could be awesome or not, but it doesn't look related to Wizardry past the title and fonts.

wizrogue_tablet_img.png
Well, it has the party-based aspect, and it seems the party stays clustered together in one square as a "blob". Possibly the game mechanics are similar but without knowing Japanese, I have no idea if that's true.

Yeah, it's a departure as it has no 1st-person view and adds what looks like a semi-tactical grid element. But if a game has the party-building of Wizardry + roguelike dungeons, that'd be pretty interesting to me. Party-based roguelikes are pretty hard to find.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Alchemist Siveon Courtier Comte

i'll add it to the general compilation of TB crawlers thread Alchemist, thanks for the heads up. Meantime i'm gonna finish up the MegaTen thread.

Then I'm going to re-do the Wizardry and Compilation of TB Crawlers' threads with the "quoted images" trick I figured out. just like w/ the megaTen thread it'll go like this: 3 pictures - 1) box; 2) battle screen 3)dungeon

Dorarnae

Arbiter
I spent more time with javadry. I now know how to put fix encounter, how to put stuff on merchant and couple other things. the hard part will be creating spell so many thing you can do and it's all in japanese...
also not sure about stats how they work, so far they don't seem to do anything. only thing I can think is including them in some formula(if this is possible)
couple option with items I am not sure what they do too.

I'll probably test how dungeon event work soon.(event/message ect...)

I haven't seen anything for monster to drop gold so far, I know for exp but not sure about gold.
also don't think we can change the list for monster type, would of been nice...

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Dorarnae

Man, Dorar, I wish I could give you a million fistings :D

i can't fucking WAIT to play one of your mazes. i'm glad you've been able to make use of the thing. It's definitely way better than the other one, "Legacy". you learning to use it gives me hope: i'll try to learn too. i want to create simple mazes as well, hehe. maybe you could write a text FAQ listing some of the stuff you've learned about using the editor!

in any case looks like your biggest barrier is lack of jap language. i got just the thing for you mate:

Dorarnae

Arbiter
heh it's A LOT of work, so don't expect anything soon. but I'll try to write what I know so far someday.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Damn, look at all those offerings by Japanese developers. It's almost like a Shinto Shrine. A Wiz-Shrine, if you will.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
hehe i wanted to find more DW Bradley stuff but i found the two best possible things: his handsome black and white visage posing ever so disciplined for us plebes and an actual goddamn quote from him written on (possibly?) a dead sea scroll?

obviously thread is not finished yet i want to add a full suite of pictures for each game entry and replace some of the "wizardry divider images" that aren't that humorous for better ones. i just now saved to disk an awesome 8-bit Werdna sprite but i can't think of where to place him in the thread... heh.

also need to resize almost all of the new pictures and need to get links to game manual / strat guide / soundtrack (easy since the first half of the series doesn't have music) and also gonna try to scrounge up links to interviews with the original designers, especially hoping to find interviews from the early 90's or even preferably the 80's. my fantasy for this is getting lucky and finding interviews for each of the 8 scenarios and also interviews about the sale to japan of the series. those interview links will go at the end of the title in questions little information template.

have you ever seen the original wizardry manuals? they're hilarious. check out this page from the wiz 1 manual explaining how AC works:

sirtec_wiz1_manualshot_1.jpg

this is a real page from the real game manual.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
hehe I remember that image. I have the book, it helped quite a bit for knowing all the spell for each wizardry.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
OMG guess what!? I just found that there's both the japanese and english text file for both the game and editor. I deleted both ''default Message'' in the data folder and kept the english one and now the game and editor are entirely in english ^_^

this should make life much easier now lol.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
that's legitimately awesome news man. i imagine the most laborious parts will be: deciding where to place the Event Triggers. cos making the maze itself is the best and most fun part; and hell even going through the whole thing and hand-placing fixed encounters that's hella fun too because you get to think about "hmm so the player willl probably be coming through this part and perhaps 2 fixed encounters over here are best..."; etc, and that shit is super fun.

the tedious part is editing individual entities/npcs/monsters and fixing their stats and making sure that all encounters are correctly scripted with a balanced amount of gold and exp and that you find a way to make the loot itemization feel balanced but also exciting and rewarding for the player. that's when oneusually has to sit down and think about stuff. then after all that you have to make the events, because a maze can't just exist for no reason, right?

in the Legacy scenario editor i tried out some days back making the mazes and placing the encounters was eeeeeeeeeasy, super easy, especially making the mazes, but the options are incredibly limited and it became very boring. also the rules system the creator used for the editor is not true Wizardry rules system; he integrated some weird mix of half his own rules and half wiz rules. the actual combat/gameplay itself in the Legacy editor isn't very good, which is why i haven't talked about it at all since that day i made a few mazes.

and man, making event triggers was so tedious. we always have big concepts, we aim high: for example i wanted to make a maze with 5 Cells, each connected via one-way doors and invisible doors and the five cells would each consist of what they call "kernels" basically twisting hallways that lead into themselves but without trickery: just trying my best to confuse the eye of the player. then in the center a huge spiral chock-full of pits and one way doors and lots of small pockets inside the spiral that if you don't take the correct path you end up going through the same areas over and over. also i wanted to place a teleporter back to a healing fountain in the beginning hallway of the starting point;finally in the center of the spiral i wanted to make an event trigger that made you fight several fights in a row without rest in-between but the damn editor wouldn't let me. i couldn't do half the shit i wanted to do so i uninstalled it.

at any rate once you've got a maze ready for beta testing i'll glady beta test it for ya :salute:

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I think I saw that tank image about armor class over on Crooked Bee's Wizardry IV Let's Play here on this site. I recommend reading it if you haven't already done so.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Deuce Traveler

lol dude... idon't thinkyou want to get me started on bee's w4 LP. it was honestly, SINCERELY!, that LP and that LP by itself that made me just suddenly up and decide to try a wizardry game/ dungeon crawler for the first time. i'm a newcomer to the blobber genre. can be measured in less than 4 months ! i've completely fallen in love with the TB blobber genre and i have Bee to thank for it. That LP is one of the single greatest articles about video game culture and historical heritage as well as a simultaneous dissection of the genre itself, the game in question itself wiz 4, and to top it all off it's an expertly structured series of very well-written vignettes that convey the essence of the experience of playing w4 as well as doubling as a light introduction into the heady swirls of symbolism and heraldry and how these artifacts of philosophical artistry can beautifully and surprisingly be woven into not only the superficial literary facets of wizardry 4 (and all literary games as well; i am generalizing); it's a very good and exceedingly competent series of vignettes chronicling the artistry that was poured laboriously into that game and to Bees credit she doesn't cop out at the end of the LP: she confidently parallels the continually increasing amount of layers that peel away as part of the game's philosophical gamble, i.e. the multiple endings and the myriad ways in which subjects like redemption, vengeance, non-action, abstinence and religious discipline among many other themes all explode orgasmically for the grandmaster who manages to watch all of werdna's possible futures.

it is an ambitious LP for an ambitious game. i didn't touch on many other points because it already seems like i'll never stop going on about this but very quickly and to end this post: the LP also managed to organically convey to the reader why one would want to play a game about being trapped in mazes,to put it as simply as possible. i had never before understood the appeal of maze-games and dungeon crawlers until that day, and i began to appreciate the many facets that make dungeon crawling appealing: tl;dr the game is the maze and the maze is a puzzle that the player solves by mastering the various gaming elements that work together to preserve the puzzle of the maze; and i of course mean a figurative one. that IS the game. crawling. dungeons. and it is fantastic.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
added... a ton of stuff. still needs a lot of work but it's getting better. a few of the images used for informative/amusement purposes are of course there as line-breaks in-between titles. planning on dropping a few of the less funny/interesting images and Googling up some more obscure quotes from OG devs.

i mean you just gotta love dat Robert Woodhead quote near the middle of the list when asked about why japan and whysell: "oh i met a chick. it was no big deali just sold and moved to japan!". although in the end japan has done 10x better with the series than the west ever did.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
ok, i'm sober today. this threads getting back on track. i already have ALL of the photos that are missing at the moment from the post + new ones i searched for that are representative of the games and not just a barrage of "funny wizardry images". i'll keep it tight. also gonna finish adding all the links finally. thankfully the first 5 wizzies didn't have sound so that will be real easy :D and ALL the wizardry manuals, 1-8, are in PDF on several sites. yay. the two wiki sites for the core series will obviously be: a) wikipedia, b) wziardry.wikia

the ONLY thing i'm still not sure about is if we should add a link to gameplay video of the games? what do you guys think?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
for those who missed the images here are the more amusing ones:

bradley_zps4lakbix9.jpg

images_zpsam3zpl9v.jpg
manual_71_zpsbf6ykz8c.jpg
(apologies, i accidentally erased the full sized picture. this mangled mess used to be a 1980x resolution scan of the vision document / game bible for wiz 1 and these two pages in particular detailed the priest spells and the meaning of the hebrew words behind the incantations) - (no worries of course; the original high-def full-size image is in the same archival website where i stole it from yesterday for those wanna google the pdf)

Softalk1982-08-32_zpsr5wb8xlq.jpg
(exact same story again here in regards to the garbled sizing and missing the original huge image. google it if you want; it is a scan of an article done about sir-tech in the late 80's when they were blowing up. nothing mind-blowing).

softline_zpstk8wvnmj.jpg
(oh man i fucking looooooved this one when i found it. it's softline's official wizardry promotional poster. softline was the sub-contracted customer support department of sir-tech. that poster is GOLD.)

w6bradley_zpstycem3ku.jpg
(a most probably fake scan of the wizardry vision document that d.w. cocksucker-bradley wrote and presented to get the job making wiz 6). for those who might not have noticed his name appears in completion 4 times in the front page).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom