Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LOL Notch is rich but lonely Discuss!!!1!!

bloodlover

Arcane
This fucking thread :lol:

Time add some fuel.

Sup Codex. Why you dont liek us?
Skrillex-ad-Markus-Notch-Persson-at-XS.jpg

THAT feeling when you try hard to look cool behind Skrillex's backs.
notch_skrillex_party_17.jpg

I'd buy VIP tickets to every metal show for me and my friends instead of this. Shit, I'd even pay Roger Waters to forget his past and tour with Pink Floyd one last time.

At least he has good taste in T-Shirts.

Dev_Anj

Learned
You behaved intelligently and responsibly when you decided you'd study law. And then you obviously made some intelligent investment decisions.

He pretty much said he only joined a law course so that he wouldn't have to work hard, and his "intelligent investment decision" is apparently collecting rent from houses and land he owns, which pretty much anyone who knows a bit about business can do if they get the opportunity. Nothing about this sounds like he was particularly intelligent or responsible, of course he wasn't too dumb or irresponsible but that's nothing to congratulate someone over.

Norfleet

And lastly - if you think private ownership of the land is bad what do you think happens if you make all land public? Where do you think all those famines and poverty and misery in places like Soviet Union or China came from? A mismanagement on a galactic scale resulting from the marriage of public agriculture policy, public agriculture companies and public land. China path to prosperity began with decollectivization of agriculture. The first and most essential cornerstone of any prosperous society is private ownership and management of land, that's the unequivocal lesson of the history for anyone who's willing to take it.
Yup, if someone owns it, they want to extract income from owning it, and then continue to do so. If nobody owns it, then people try to extract income from it by stripping it bare, rendering it worthless.

And apparently I'm a hard-working entrepeneur who builds this fucking nation.
Yes, yes you are. If you hadn't put forth the effort to do so in the beginning, the place would belong briefly to some filthy unwashed barbarian who would strip it bare and leave only a ruined mess. That's why things BELONG to people. Besides, laziness isn't a bad thing, if applied properly: Efficiency is the intelligent man's laziness.

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
Yup, if someone owns it, they want to extract income from owning it, and then continue to do so. If nobody owns it, then people try to extract income from it by stripping it bare, rendering it worthless.

Is that it? Are you afraid someone is going to steal private property and install a fascist/communist government?

That will never happen in a civilized country after the advent of the internet, unless the crisis gets REALLY bad.

Renegen

Arcane
I don't know how people got talking of communism, the idea of collectivized agriculture isn't that foreign, I mean you still have agricultural co-ops in the western world, the economic system frequently is setup to suit the underlying fundamentals, when families were of unknown size and there was no financial system, the ability to distribute the village's land based on need instead of ownership was very beneficial.

No Great Name

Arcane
Is that it? Are you afraid someone is going to steal private property and install a fascist/communist government?

That will never happen in a civilized country after the advent of the internet, unless the crisis gets REALLY bad.
Seems like you don't keep up with the shenanigans the IRS do sometimes.

Haraldur

Augur
The Codex Troll is deepest Red,
It loves the games that grognards bred...
Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer,
The popamole shall disappear...

DeepOcean

Arcane
Sure it's bullshit. And it has been for a long time given how our society works. Too many stupid people in high positions due to friendships.
If you are talking about politics and people who sleep with politics, you are right but you kinda didn't disprove his point as most politics is just criminal activity with a nicer name anyway.

Andhaira

Arcane
My issue with that argument is that I am wealthy by most standards (not billionaire rich list stuff, but I've got a few million dollars worth of residential and commercial property, a good income, and only about $350,000 in mortgages on those properties), and I'm lazy as absolute fuck. I'm so lazy that I'm typing this during working hours. When I was a lawyer, I was even lazier. And about 95% of my income doesn't even come from my job, but from rental income - I'm literally a rent-seeker.

I didn't go to university because I worked hard - I went to university so I didn't have to work hard! Even when I earnt my initial money, it was by sitting on my ass in an office. Meanwhile, the guy that cleans my office earns fuckall while dong a far more onerous job.

One of my tenants is a plumbing business. They put their hands in shit for a living, and pay me money for the privilege of having my agent deposit money in my account each month. Sure, the agent also arranges repairs and care for the facilities, but I don't do any of that shit, and given that I just incorporate the cost into the rent I'm charging them, I'm not even paying for it.

I don't own any low-income area properties, because I prioritise capital gains over having consistent rental income, but if I did, how the fuck could you say that I would be working harder than some toilet cleaner or bricklayer's assistant who was paying me rent?

Me, and whole class of people like me, make money by oligopolising land and then collecting rent from people who actually work hard. They're working hard, I'm getting their money. 100% of the productive contribution is theirs.

And apparently I'm a hard-working entrepeneur who builds this fucking nation.

You likely own much of your properties through inheritance, or at least your parents money allowed you to get a good education and gave you a leg up. Many other people do not have that.

The answer is easy.

There was a article I read in my newspaper half a year ago. It was an editorial, not a scientific study. But it came across honest and true to me, based on what I know. The guy argued, using various cherry picked evidences, that people who're most wealthy don't normally get that way by luck or good fortune. Instead they get that way because of ambition. These people will work hard with or without lots of money. He argued people who're rich by luck will lose it or not build on it.

Damn I wish I had made a favorite for it on my computer. So it was saying a trully successful person will not be ruined by riches and fame because they're by their nature driven to work hard and thereby attain distinction.

EDIT: I googled something similar:
http://elitedaily.com/money/entrepreneurship/ambition-important-success/
An ambitious attitude can lead anyone to triumph and satisfaction, regardless of what is put in front of them. To have the will, the dream and the courage to be on top of the world will get you a lot farther in life than any skill you can possibly possess.

Having talent means nothing if you have no ambition behind it to work your ass of at any given point of the day. Do you know how many people are out there and are wastes of ability and potential?
How do we find out who's truly ambitious and who isn't? I think one possible way is to ask a question, like this one: "Do you work to live or live to work?" The most successful people live to work. It's in their blood. They work hard rain or shine, poor or rich, sad or happy, disabled or not, male or female. They get back up if they fall. They never quit, never settle!

Last edited:

Felix

Arcane
He should contact me, I can help him find the way and I only charge 100 dollars an hour for consulting service.

But then, I fucking hate minecraft.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Since he is so rich, is there a chance he could gift me 50.000 dollars? It would solve my problems.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom