Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware LOL ELECTRONIC ARTS: The EA Thread

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
At least steam stores saves locally as well, and just backs up data on the cloud. Or at least, I've yet to run into a game that didn't work that way.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
EA/DICE considering early access for future games.

As the video game industry continues to broaden its business models, the concept of early access (paid alpha and beta testing) continues to spread to new genres and developers. Large publishers, including Ubisoft and Square Enix are testing the process out, too.

We spoke with DICE general manager Karl Magnus Troedsson on a number of topics, including the shift in beta strategy with Visceral's Battlefield: Hardline. Throughout the conversation, Troedsson referenced an increased desire to involve the community in the development process. "We have nothing to announce, but we are having discussions when it comes to [early access]," Troedsson told us. "It comes not from a business perspective, but more from a perspective of if it would help us have a stable launch of the game."

Conversations haven't yet progressed to involve price point, and if DICE were to do it, players would be involved in the conversation about whether to proceed. "We would ask our players in a controlled way," Troedsson says. "We probably wouldn't open the floodgates for everyone, but we might do it for geographical territories or people who bought the last game. Yes, it is something we are considering, not from a business standpoint, but from one of creating quality in our products."

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...nsidering-Early-Access-System-For-Battlefield

So, like, what was Battlefield 4 then? Last time I checked, the server browser still isn't working properly.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
EA/DICE considering early access for future games.

As the video game industry continues to broaden its business models, the concept of early access (paid alpha and beta testing) continues to spread to new genres and developers. Large publishers, including Ubisoft and Square Enix are testing the process out, too.

We spoke with DICE general manager Karl Magnus Troedsson on a number of topics, including the shift in beta strategy with Visceral's Battlefield: Hardline. Throughout the conversation, Troedsson referenced an increased desire to involve the community in the development process. "We have nothing to announce, but we are having discussions when it comes to [early access]," Troedsson told us. "It comes not from a business perspective, but more from a perspective of if it would help us have a stable launch of the game."

Conversations haven't yet progressed to involve price point, and if DICE were to do it, players would be involved in the conversation about whether to proceed. "We would ask our players in a controlled way," Troedsson says. "We probably wouldn't open the floodgates for everyone, but we might do it for geographical territories or people who bought the last game. Yes, it is something we are considering, not from a business standpoint, but from one of creating quality in our products."

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...nsidering-Early-Access-System-For-Battlefield

So, like, what was Battlefield 4 then? Last time I checked, the server browser still isn't working properly.

Is there really a large market of people who want to play unfinished games? Is that a new fad, to play a game as earlier as possible.

"Hey I just finished this game it was awesome."

"Ha, ha you noob, I played this game when it was missing most of its textures and only sound was something reminiscent of farting."

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
When EA wants to do Early Access, you know early access has become a bad thing.

Thankfully just watching EA behavior tells you what you should not do.

Early Access? Don't do it.
Day 1 DLC? Don't do it.
Makes video games? Don't buy video games.

EA doesn't pirate so I guess that's ok to do.

aris

Arcane
ooo edgy. Would hit the mark way better with Troika games though.

aris

Arcane
Difference being someoje eventually bothers to fix Troikas games. Sims 4 and such, on the other hand.
Yes, those someone not being Troika at all though. They barely ever did anything to fix their games.

I have no interest in defending EA. Put it's impressive, considering all the shit that you can put on EA, to criticize them for something they are generally not so guilty of.

DragoFireheart

ooo edgy. Would hit the mark way better with Bethesda games though.
ooo edgy. Would hit the mark way better with Obsidian games though.
ooo edgy. Would hit the mark way better with From games though.
ooo edgy. Would hit the mark way better with Massive Entertainment games though.
ooo edgy. Would hit the mark way better with Ubisoft games though.
ooo edgy. Would hit the mark way better with Rockstar games though.

Tytus

Arcane
ooo edgy. Would hit the mark way better with Massive Entertainment games though.

HA! But you can't say that about CDPR, they fix their games with free Enahced Editions later and even half-oficial mods made by the staff.
Poland superior as always.
:obviously:

DragoFireheart

HA! But you can't say that about CDPR, they fix their games with free Enahced Editions later and even half-oficial mods made by the staff.
Poland superior as always.
:obviously:

I can say whatever I want. There's nothing stopping me from posting stupid shit and being a giant moron.

aris

Arcane
Troika was a small company with a very limited budget. What's EA's excuse?
That they were small (and really, they weren't that small at the time) was no excuse for releasing broken buggy messes of games that had to be fixed by fans over and over again. Other very small budget companies have proven time and time again that it is possible to deliver polished games with few bugs, even on a small budget.

Delterius

Arcane
Difference being someoje eventually bothers to fix Troikas games. Sims 4 and such, on the other hand.
Yes, those someone not being Troika at all though. They barely ever did anything to fix their games.

I have no interest in defending EA. Put it's impressive, considering all the shit that you can put on EA, to criticize them for something they are generally not so guilty of.
EA games are notorious for being vile conquerors of many people's RAM. Case in point the Sims series, where each expansion fixes some bugs while introducing a few new ones. Its amazing how much heavier Sims 3 is and how much that stiffles the game's potential.

The point was, by the way, that someone cared enough about Troika's games that wild Drogs appear. EA kills that sort of thing.

Other very small budget companies have proven time and time again that it is possible to deliver polished games with few bugs, even on a small budget.
but none of them could deliver games as awesome as troika's.
i could swallow a million bugs for a new bloodlines.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
That they were small (and really, they weren't that small at the time) was no excuse for releasing broken buggy messes of games that had to be fixed by fans over and over again. Other very small budget companies have proven time and time again that it is possible to deliver polished games with few bugs, even on a small budget.

If small studios can do it, then people like EA/DICE have no excuse. I always thought people were exaggerating about how broken BF4 was, then I saw it for myself. Even something as simple as trying to sort the servers in the server browser by player count simply does not work.

Telengard

Arcane

Battlefield 4 - still not working. Just not working. Still.
Sims 3 - still has trouble with such horribly complex things as starting up, and still has a laundry list of bugs that they will never now fix
Dragon Age 2 - sound loops and battlefield glitches, amongst other issues
Skate 3 - still hasn't ironed out physics bug issues holdover from Skate 1
Sim City Online - pfft hah hah ha

They did apologize for BF4, Sims 3, and SCO bugs, though. Not that that means they'll actually fix them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom