Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

List of the must play games

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's not just the Skyrim thing though - I'm reading red lights all across the board.

Spaceman Spiff

Educated
Listen to Deuce Traveler, he knows his stuff.
I can also recommend Albion as it's not too complex and has some familiar elements from japanese RPGs.

Supermedo

Augur
OP Can you mention types of games you're looking for, or more specifically what you're looking for in a game? Of the games mentioned you've played:
Fallout
Fallout 2
Fallout 3
Fallout 3 : new Vegas
Dragon Age : origins
The Elder scrolls oblivion
Skyrim
Gothic
Gothic 2
Gothic 3
System Shock 2
Final Fantasy Tactics
Jagged Alliance 2

Most of these feature open world and/or sandbox gameplay so I'm just gonna go by that. Arcanum plays very similarly to Fallout and even though it may appear a daunting task of where to put your first skill points it should't be a problem to an experienced Fallout player, plus with that you've already got 2 of the Codex's Trinity done!

While Morrowind is a great sandbox game, it's not a game I would try to lump together with the gothic games, as Morrowind is very heavy on exploration and backstory/lore, practically to the point where it's in own storyfag genre. It's one of those rare gems that actively rewards you for digging into the lore, not just in the manner of neat written fluff but in the physical sense as well. For example, one of the earliest books you can get in the starting town is "The Wraith's Wedding Dowry" Now the book itself is just a little story about a newlywed who has to fight her former bandit clan in her wedding dress, but she mentions her mentor(who's name I can't remember) and where he's from somewhere in the book. If you actually travel to the location mentioned, it turns out there's actually a guy with the same name, and he turns out to be the Master Trainer for unarmored(how else would she know how to fight in a wedding dress). There's also a guy you could meet in a bar who will ask for a drink, and in exchange will tell you a story about some buried treasure(and he's actually not shitting you!). It's miles ahead above Skyrim and Oblivion and I say this as person who can honestly claim that Oblivion was his first rpg :oops:.

Now if you are going ahead to start with Baldur's gate do try to do a BG-BG2-Torment run through, if only to see MCA mock them in the same engine. I wouldn't recommend starting with Lands of Lore and instead also go with Wizardry 8 as others as mentioned. It's 3D movement will be more natural to you if you've never tried a game with grid movement before, but it's your call.

Thanks for the detailed explanation man, I guess I will start with BG first then check wizardry or LoL later.

as for people calling me trolls I really don't know what to say only you have zero reading comprehension I said I mainly was Jrpg fag in RPG department playing games from FF series , SMT series, Breath of fire ...etc even thread name say I know jack shit about cRpg

I played gothic as my first cRPG and loved every minute of it specially the ability to take sides as you know Jrpgs are story driven and very few Jrpg let you influence the world around you after it I played Gothic 2 & 3.
then I started to look for games with same genre like DA:O , the Witcher , Fallout.
I played oblivion years later before skyrim came out with mods fixing mainly the graphic and their potato faces and I believe skyrim is watered down version of oblivion gameplay wise also oblivion had better side quests compared to skyrim.
See I didn't know jackshit about TES Lore my first game was oblivion.
I played System shock 2 because I liked the first bioshock and that it.

Listen to Deuce Traveler, he knows his stuff.
I can also recommend Albion as it's not too complex and has some familiar elements from japanese RPGs.
Shit How I forget albion I played the demo in my old N900 phone.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Liking Gothic does not really automatically transfer to isometric games. I mean hopefully you like them, and they are similar in many respects, but it's not like Gothic and Arcanum are the same exact thing because they came out in the 90s. I think Arcanum or Fallout are good choices to see if you like that style of game though. Both contain the freedom and exploration of a game like Gothic or Morrowind but in isometric view and with turn-based combat. See if you like them.

The fact you think Oblivion is better than Skyrim makes me question your sanity, in either case.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I dunno. Oblivion came out like a decade ago. I can totally see someone out there thinking Skyrim is an insult to the classic.

Yeah, these people definitely exist. If you take a look at some yt videos about Oblivion, there is indeed a number of people considering themselves "hardcore gamers" talking about how hardcore an RPG Oblivion was and how much of a decline Skyrim is. Depending on your personality, those comments may either amuse you or give you brain cancer.

However, in many ways their argumentation works not so different from the whole notion of 'Decline' on the Codex really, or many other similar discussions in other fields. If you like an older game (or force yourself to like it or pretend to do so) you can consider yourself more hardcore and hipster by default, compared to the 'stupid masses' that like the 'dumbed down games of today'. Older is often automatically considered superior to the new stuff when it comes to the discussion of cultural products. Emotions of nostalgia playing a heavy role. They get rationalized somehow and then presented as objective arguments (best indicator is shit arguments like 'It just had more soul!').

Edit:

This video is a mild example of what I am talking about, there are better ones but I don't feel like looking for them.

Examples from the comment section:

Oblivion has better magic. Pretty much everything is better in Oblivion, each game in the series gets more dumbed down, and is made to appeal more to a wider (and more casual) audience.

Both skyrim and oblivion are awesome but it is something different with oblivion, you get this awesome feeling every time you play it.

I completely agree, it's very very very dumbed down now, but I don't believe that they get WORSE at each entry, they're just... different.

This was indeed better than Skyrim

In many ways this game is better than Skyrim and in many ways it is not. I think both games are brilliant for their time. Personaly i like Oblivion more because of it's beautiful landscape and size.

Last edited:

Supermedo

Augur
^
I don't care really about labels but I found I miss the music, the alchemy system, and the cities from oblivion, The major towns/ cities in skyrim are just disappointing, the factions are one hour quest I also miss being able to check my ranks in the joinable guilds and getting a different title as I moved up that came with new respect within the guilds.
I played both as breton mage and skyrim removed 90% of the spells, Mark, Recall and the Intervention spells I miss it all and also they made lockpick & persuasion skills useless.

Skyrim repeated the same stupid door puzzles , same dungeons with draugers or bandits and the main quest story is more boring and retarted than oblivion, dragons fight is just tedious work.

so now imagine a guy who played oblivion before morrowind and find quest like the haunted house, being locked inside a house with all these people you have to murder one by one or the one where you have to enter the guys painting, or retrieve a ring underwater but to discover it weight 150 lbs. skyrim were essentially the same. Go to cave x to retrieve item y and along the way you'll encounter hostile z. There were some exception but not enough. Of course Oblivion did have the same kind of quests but not nearly as many as Skyrim.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
However, in many ways their argumentation works not so different from the whole notion of 'Decline' on the Codex really, or many other similar discussions in other fields. If you like an older game (or force yourself to like it or pretend to do so) you can consider yourself more hardcore and hipster by default, compared to the 'stupid masses' that like the 'dumbed down games of today'. Older is often automatically considered superior to the new stuff when it comes to the discussion of cultural products. Emotions of nostalgia playing a heavy role. They get rationalized somehow and then presented as objective arguments (best indicator is shit arguments like 'It just had more soul!').

There are certainly people who act like anything old is amazing and anything new is trash, with that line varying depending on their age, but hopefully we keep false prophets like that off the Codex as much as possible.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
^
I don't care really about labels but I found I miss the music, the alchemy system, and the cities from oblivion, The major towns/ cities in skyrim are just disappointing, the factions are one hour quest I also miss being able to check my ranks in the joinable guilds and getting a different title as I moved up that came with new respect within the guilds.
I played both as breton mage and skyrim removed 90% of the spells, Mark, Recall and the Intervention spells I miss it all and also they made lockpick & persuasion skills useless.

Skyrim repeated the same stupid door puzzles , same dungeons with draugers or bandits and the main quest story is more boring and retarted than oblivion, dragons fight is just tedious work.

so now imagine a guy who played oblivion before morrowind and find quest like the haunted house, being locked inside a house with all these people you have to murder one by one or the one where you have to enter the guys painting, or retrieve a ring underwater but to discover it weight 150 lbs. skyrim were essentially the same. Go to cave x to retrieve item y and along the way you'll encounter hostile z. There were some exception but not enough. Of course Oblivion did have the same kind of quests but not nearly as many as Skyrim.

With the exception of the spell system being dumbed down the rest of this reeks of nostalgia bullshit deception, bro. Rise above! RISE ABOVE!

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Recall and the Intervention spells I miss it all and

I haven't played morrowind yet so

oopsy fucksy
See, told you it's a troll.

troll-o-meter.jpg

Yep, troll detected.

Reported TC.

Vampire bloodlines isn't mentioned as I can see, it's great, and easy to get into compared to the others. Available on steam for relatively cheap.

I'd go with that and the aforementioned BGII, both are great and easy to play.

Supermedo

Augur
Mmmm..
I'm not really troll I started this thread innocently enough but you people started to comment on one line
I said I used mods to play oblivion and used to play as preton mage
go Nexus you will find mage guilds mod that add Recall and the Intervention spells I didn't know it was unique to morrowind.

anyway I don't know why the fuck I will troll my own thread in issue that you brought it up.

Sorry if I offended anyone with my shit taste by liking oblivion over skyrim I will add trigger warning in my posts from now on when ever I'm going to talk about my taste.

Vampire bloodlines isn't mentioned as I can see, it's great, and easy to get into compared to the others. Available on steam for relatively cheap.

I'd go with that and the aforementioned BGII, both are great and easy to play.
played Vampire bloodlines with unofficial patch and I loved I'm going to start BG because it gathered more votes also to stop this thread from derailing

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
^

Well, Skyrim's quests are just as bad as Oblivion's and they really messed up the guild questlines but that doesn't make Oblivion quests better.
I remember most the "great" Oblivion quests you mentioned to be nothing but a gimmicky waste of time anyway. And Skyrim had stuff like that too (for example that Dawnstar museum questline).
Also Skyrim has some outstanding quests like the whole Blackreach archeology/exploration (really great stuff), these Windhelm murders, the Forsworn conspiracy, that cannibal cult (one of the Daedra quests ... most of them are quite nice) and so on. Plus exploring dungeons was way more fun than in Oblivion, heck, I spent most of my time with the game just exploring dungeons and stumbling upon quests and little stories in there (they are not great though, too linear ... still head and shoulders above all those boring copypasted Oblivion dungeons ... and I don't even dislike copypasted dungeons, I love Daggerfall, but Oblivion's were just shiat).
Dunno what you problem with the music is, Elder Scrolls games all have nice music.
Cities were just as bland in Oblivion (at least Riften and Markarth are worth a visit, in Oblivion it's all just medieval blandness).
And rising in guild ranks in Oblivion didn't do it for me either ...

Just go and play Morrowind or Daggerfall, you have no fucking clue what you're talking about. With all due respect of course. :D
Hope you're not just an alt though, inside debates with alts wouldn't bode well for codex' sanity. Run for your lives, these nutjobs on codex began talking to themselves again!
one-flew-over-the-cuckoos-nest.jpg

Last edited:

Supermedo

Augur
^

Well, Skyrim's quests are just as bad as Oblivion's and they really messed up the guild questlines but that doesn't make Oblivion quests better.
I remember most the "great" Oblivion quests you mentioned to be nothing but a gimmicky waste of time anyway. And Skyrim had stuff like that too (for example that Dawnstar museum questline).
Also Skyrim has some outstanding quests like the whole Blackreach archeology/exploration (really great stuff), these Windhelm murders, the Forsworn conspiracy, that cannibal cult (one of the Daedra quests ... most of them are quite nice) and so on. Plus exploring dungeons was way more fun than in Oblivion, heck, I spent most of my time with the game just exploring dungeons and stumbling upon quests and little stories in there (they are not great though, too linear ... still head and shoulders above all those boring copypasted Oblivion dungeons ... and I don't even dislike copypasted dungeons, I love Daggerfall, but Oblivion's were just shiat).
Dunno what you problem with the music is, Elder Scrolls games all have nice music.
Cities were just as bland in Oblivion (at least Riften and Markarth are worth a visit, in Oblivion it's all just medieval blandness).
And rising in guild ranks in Oblivion didn't do it for me either ...

Just go and play Morrowind or Daggerfall, you have no fucking clue what you're talking about. With all due respect of course. :D
Hope you're not just an alt though, inside debates with alts wouldn't bode well for codex' sanity. Run for your lives, these nutjobs on codex began talking to themselves again!
eh maybe like DalekFlay said that I'm blind by nostalgia because it was second cRpg(after Gothic trilogy) that I played.

Now one LAST QUESTION BEFORE I BUY BG from GOG

What mods should I use when I play the game ?

April

Educated
BG2 with gibberling3 fixpack only. If you like it when the game punches you in the nuts go with the SCS ai mod too.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Now one LAST QUESTION BEFORE I BUY BG from GOG

What mods should I use when I play the game ?
I'd say buy BG2 too (better game anyway) and play with the BGT mod. It allows you to import you character in BG2 after you played through BG.
But you might try out BG1 first to see if you like it. If you find the interface clunky BG2 and therefore BGT improves it a bit.

There's a guide on gog how to set up the whole package. Seems legit.

DraQ

Arcane
Cherry?

How about...
16596.jpg

...a mole?
:troll:

-The Elder scrolls oblivion
-Skyrim (Shit was horrible I can imagine old TES fans killing themselves).
:hmmm:
Really now.

Anyway, I recommend Planescape: Torment if you want to bypass a lot of combat using dialogue.

Other than that Daggerfall and/or Morrowind might hit the spot.
If you want something combat heavier, you can try Wizardry 8.

I don't recommend Lands of Lore 1.
I might if you either considered Skyrim's complexity to be way over your head, or wanted nostalgic and somewhat charming, but very lite crawler.
I also don't really recommend BG1, as it's very generic and often boring (then again, you did enjoy Oblivion, more than Skyrim at least).

Edit:
I missed one thing:
Since when Oblivion has mark and recall?
Or for that matter locks you wouldn't be able to pick with a single lockpick without having any points in lockpicking?

Persuasion skill was worse than useless in Oblivion - it was useful enough for the player to routinely engage in arguably the most atrocious minigame ever devised.

As for Skyrim VS Oblivion - which is better and why?? We have this thread:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/skyrim-is-worse-than-oblivion-in-every-way.66361/

My own (informed) opinion starts somewhere around p.37 - do note that my expectations before I started playing were set by the immense reeking turd that was Oblivion and initial hype train suggesting that skyrim would be even worse somehow. While not exactly a stellar game, Skyrim definitely defied those, and with right mods (Requiem, mainly) it's definitely a keeper.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom