Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's usurp an Empire in Alea Jacta Est!

Cenobyte

Prophet
This is an AAR of our ongoing PBEM campaign of AGEOD's latest game Alea Jacta Est. We play the Year of the 4 Emperors scenario, and all of the 3 available factions are played by human players experienced with AGEOD games.

Since our PBEM campaign is still ongoing, I cannot say if I will be victorious in the end, if my faction will survive until the end or how fast I can provide updates. However, the scenario is only 25 turns long, so it shouldn't take too long to complete this AAR.

###### Let's usurp an Empire in Alea Jacta Est! #######

Alea Jacta Est is AGEOD's latest game set in the turbulent times of the late Roman republic and the Roman Empire. In the year 68, the last legitimate successor of Rome's first Emperor, Augustus, had died, and the question of succession quickly turned into a full-scale war, as Emperors were assassinated by the own guards and pretenders arose in the remote areas of the Empire. At the same time, Rome's neighbors, envious of Rome's wealth, are only waiting for a sign of weakness in the defenses of the Empire. Who can triumph in these times of strife and unrest and restore the Empire to its glory?

oYHCa.jpg

The general information about the 68 scenario. At the start of the game, the first of the 4 Emperors during this year, Galba, had just been assassinated by his own Praetorian guardsmen. But there are others trying to fill the void left by his murder.

T6nnS.jpg

In the Germanias, the two provinces at the border to the barbarian lands of Germania Magna (those two provinces were Germania Superior and Germania Inferior, meaning Upper and Lower Germany), a local general with the name Aulus Vitellius is proclaimed Emperor by his legions and loyal legates. I will play his faction during this AAR.

Before I discuss my opening turn, let's briefly get an overview over the political and strategical situation of my faction and my rivals in the Empire.

BXdwp.jpg

The main body of my forces starts at the Rhine (called Rhenus in Roman times), on the border to the barbarian lands. In Colonia Agrippina, modern-day Cologne in Germany, Aulus Vitellius and his legate Valens command a force of 4 legions and some Germanic mercenaries.
Legate Caecina commands the forces in Moguntiacum (modern-day Mainz in Germany), another 2 legions and additional Germanic mercenaries.
A third, smaller force consisting of 1 legion is furthermore garrisoned in Argentoratum (modern-day Straßburg/Strasbourg in France).

Mm0T6.jpg

It seems that our dear would-be Emperor has some troubles with the alcohol...

PX2Sq.jpg

In Britannia, 3 legions are spread throughout the province.

Cw1Rr.jpg

Finally, in the south of Gallia, we have one more legion in reserve. Let's move on to the other areas of the Empire and our rivals.

4a1GP.jpg

In Africa, a local military commander called Macer has assumed the political and military command over the provinces there. He commands 2 legions, but is neutral towards the other factions. The other factions (Otho and Vespasian) have the option to try to assassinate him, however, to get control of the African provinces for themselves. My faction (Vitellius) can try to protect Macer from those assassination attempts, which would make Macer join our cause.

VxaJL.jpg

In Italy and Rome itself, Otho has usurped the Imperial throne from former Emperor Galba, with the support of the disloyal Praetorians. He has only a small number of legions available to him, and is in our way on our campaign to restore Rome's former glory with a real, legitimate Emperor. Furthermore, many of his legions start locked (meaning they cannot be moved and used for the defense of Rome) in Pannonia and the Noricum (modern-day Austria). If he cannot activate those forces in time, he should be a push-over. But he's one of the factions played by a human player, so things might get much more complicated than one would assume... we will see.

TeiIQ.jpg

Finally, in the far east, local general Vespasian was also announced as Imperator by his legions. He controls a very vast area of land, with many legions (in fact, he has the most legions of any faction), but first has to deal with a Jewish insurrection in Palestina. He also has to make sure that enough legions stay in the east at any time to deter the powerful Parthians from declaring war against the Empire. Like Otho, quite a bit of his forces start the game in locked mode, and require activation before he can use them. This faction is the last faction played by a human player, and the faction that historically won in the end. We will see if we can change that ;)

This concludes the brief strategic overview. Now let's go on to my opening moves.

### Turn 1 - Opening moves ###

ImRPI.jpg

k1YNY.jpg

My strategy is very simple. I need to strike as hard as possible against Otho, as fast as possible. This is because he starts weak, but will get stronger over time. So time is of the essence for me.
To make this happen, I use turn 1 to recombine my forces into two larger stacks which I will then use for the invasion of Italy.

In detail, I start by separating Vitellius from his force. He's a weak commander, and all intelligent politicians let other men command their forces, anyway :smug:

Then, I assemble my main invasion army in Lugdunum (modern-day Lyon) under the command of the much more able
Valens. Once all of his forces have arrived (he will get a total force of 4 legions), he will invade Italy over Genua and directly attack Rome.

The second force is assembled in Argentoratum, commanded by Caecina, who's also a good commander. He will take 3 legions and invade Italy from the north. From there, he will either support Valens or directly move east to harass Vespasian there.

While I build up my invasion forces, I'm not letting the German border completely unguarded. Vitellius assumes the glorious command of my northern border force in Colonia Agrippina (2 legions), while another single legion remains in Moguntiacum on border guard duty.

hetco.jpg

Meanwhile, I'm also beginning to strip Britannia of its legions. Only 1 legion will remain there, whereas the other 2 legions will be shipped to Gallia and eventually join Valens' force in Lugdunum.

In terms of diplomatic and political decisions, I offer protection to Macer in Africa. His legions would be quite welcomed, and the African resources would also be nice to have. I'm also recruiting another Roman legate into my services.

This concludes my orders for turn 1. Let's get the game started:fight:

Fens

Ford of the Llies
this could be interesting... looking forward to the first clashes

L'ennui

Magister
Would you suggest this game for someone who has no experience with AGEOD titles? If not, which of their games would be the better introduction?

Also, you are not blackadder.

Also, thank you and carry on with the LP. *salute

Envoyé depuis mon SGH-T999V avec Tapatalk

Cenobyte

Prophet
Would you suggest this game for someone who has no experience with AGEOD titles? If not, which of their games would be the better introduction?

Also, you are not blackadder.

Also, thank you and carry on with the LP. *salute

Envoyé depuis mon SGH-T999V avec Tapatalk

I think you should be fine without previous knowledge, but the game is more complex than it might seem at first glance. The documentation and tutorial are also a little bit on the superficial side, so better have some patience to get used to the game and the mechanics.

Otherwise, a lot of people recommend WiA (Wars in America) to new players. But it's really quite similar to AJE, but with some added complexity. It's your call, I think both games are okay for new players.

Tigranes

Arcane
Looks great, hope you keep it up. I haven't seen this title before, either.

Cenobyte

Prophet
Before I start with turn 2, I forgot to mention one thing about the rules we use for playing. We play with the hardest activation rule, meaning that commanders who fail their activation check (commanders have to make this check every turn) have a certain probability of becoming locked for one turn. This in turn means that they are completely unable to move at all, and can severely hamper all your cunning plans and schemes.

#Turn 2#

This turn is quite uneventful, and I'm still busy with bringing my forces into position for the eventual invasion of Italy.

RIFte.jpg

Varus, the legate we recruited last turn, is sent to Britannia, where he will assume command over our provincial forces there (currently only a single legion without support). At the same time, we ship our legions from Britannia to Gallia.

In other news, I failed with my attempt to protect Macer. On the contrary, the assassination attempt by Vespasian's agents was successful, and Vespasian has absorbed his faction. This means he now has even more legions at his disposal, but I'm not too worried. Africa is far away from his core territory, and the African troops lack good commanders.

#Turn 3#

Another uneventful turn. No signs of my enemies yet, but this is bound to change quickly.

9Oilh.jpg

In Argentoratum, our build-up is already complete. Caecina has troops worth more than 1,000 combat power at his disposal. That should be enough for our plans for the northern invasion force. However, because of the weather conditions (it's winter in Gallia), most troops have lost quite a bit of cohesion and health during the march to the camp. If I move the force now, I can expect more attrition hits on the way. A force with low cohesion has nearly no combat value, and can easily loose to much smaller, but well-rested forces. Thus, I decide to rest the troops in Argentoratum for one turn, and hope for better weather next month.

00vr1.jpg

In Lugdunum, Valens has also assembled most of his troops. Only the legions from Britannia are missing, but they are on the way and should arrive next turn. Like Caecina's force, his forces have suffered attrition hits during the move through the snowy lands of Gallia. Accordingly, I decide to let this force recover its strength and wait for the rendezvous with the legions from Britannia. If everything works out, I should be able to begin my move into Italy next turn!

In terms of military decisions, I decide to recruit another troop of Germanic mercenary horsemen into my services. They are a little bit stronger than Roman cavalry, and will bolster my border forces at the Rhine.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
Only the legions from Britannia are missing, but they are on the way and should arrive next turn. Like Caecina's force, his forces have suffered attrition hits during the move through the snowy lands of Gallia. Accordingly, I decide to let this force recover its strength and wait for the rendezvous with the legions from Britannia. If everything works out, I should be able to begin my move into Italy next turn!
could you have shipped them around spain to massilia for a smaller attrition hit or would that take too long / not be an option in the game ?

Cenobyte

Prophet
Only the legions from Britannia are missing, but they are on the way and should arrive next turn. Like Caecina's force, his forces have suffered attrition hits during the move through the snowy lands of Gallia. Accordingly, I decide to let this force recover its strength and wait for the rendezvous with the legions from Britannia. If everything works out, I should be able to begin my move into Italy next turn!
could you have shipped them around spain to massilia for a smaller attrition hit or would that take too long / not be an option in the game ?

Yeah, in theory I could. But there are a lot of problems associated with it. Otho controls both of Rome's navies and has another smaller fleet in Hispania, so he has a lot of firepower and ample opportunities to intercept any fleet trying to move from the Atlantic to Massilia or another Mediterranean harbor. Plus, because I would have to pass through the strait of Gibraltar, he would definitely find out about my naval movements. Yet another problem are storms. They can be very very severe and completely rip through entire fleets (happened to me once playing as Pompeius, I lost my whole invasion force of 2,500 combat power because of only 2 storms). The longer you travel, the bigger the risk of sailing into one.
Last but not least, I need the fleet in the Channel to ensure that I can swiftly move forces to or from Britannia, if the need arises. All in all, because of all those factors, I want the fleet to stay in Britannia, and not to make a detour to Massilia.

Cenobyte

Prophet
Things will heat up a little now. The first battle between Romans in this civil war occured!

#Turn 4#

I planned to start my invasion of Italy this turn, but things turned out a little bit different than expected.

6xGuK.jpg

A revolt in Pontus, in the territory controlled by Vespasian. Those peasants already know who the "real" Emperor is :cool:

dmYWe.jpg

Otho actually had the balls to start the civil war himself! He has sent a small force (only auxiliaries) to besiege my border fortress Nicaea. I'm not too troubled, though. I will just order my force in Lugdunum to take care of this puny invasion attempt...

ruLIZ.jpg

... but the Britannic legions are locked this turn and haven't arrived in Lugdunum in time. Since I don't know yet where Otho's main force is located (the auxiliaries in Nicaea could be a trap to lure a small force of mine there and then smash it with his combined legions), I decide to wait for the next turn and hope that the Britannic legions will be activated again. Nicaea is a level 2 fortress, and should be able to hold out for quite some time.

iagtw.jpg

At the same time, I don't want to sit down completely idle, so I decide to order my northern force to start its invasion. Their first target is Vindonissa at the border, where another smaller force of Otho is stationed (including one legion). This attack serves two purposes: First, I hope to confuse Otho. If he expects my invasion to come from the north, he might divert some of his troops to this theatre, away from the route of my main invasion force, which will invade Italy through Liguria and Tuscany. Second, it's a good chance to smash a legion of him. You cannot rebuilt lost legions in this scenario, so each defeated legion significantly reduces your (or in this case, your opponent's) combat power.

YGi4t.jpg

Furthermore, I start a small recruitment program to give my border forces more meatshields. 2 auxilias for the German border, and 3 auxilias and 1 archer unit for Britannia. My budget and resources are quite limited, so I cannot recruit more forces.

#Turn 5#

Let's see how the orders of last turn have played out, and if I can now check Otho's invasion in the south!

eVRra.jpg

First, the first real battle of this civil war! As expected, it was a nice victory for me, but I failed to completely destroy his force and suffered quite heavy losses myself, too.

GVvpW.jpg

Furthermore, Caecina has also failed his activation check this turn, and thus I'm unable to capitalize from my victory and pursue Otho's beaten force. Vindonissa is a level 2 fortress, so besieging it will take some time. At least Caecina will have ample opportunities to reinforce his troops back to full strength.

EVegN.jpg

The Britannic legions have failed their check again. Damn!

FdIWU.jpg

In Nicaea, I see that the supplies of the garrison are running short. They will surrender soon, I think. If Otho gains control of Nicaea, I have a problem, since I will have to siege it to get it back, and sieging a level 2 fortress can take its time. Moreover, a fortress can block the movement of a passing force. Effectively, as long as Otho controls Nicaea, I'm unable to invade Italy through the southern route (the same is true for Vindonissa on the northern route, btw). I absolutely have to avoid Nicaea from falling into Otho's hands!

I also notice that Otho has reinforced his siege force with a legion and some assorted archers.

XAjeh.jpg

Because of the extraordinary critical situation, I decide to use my understrength Lugdunum force (currently only 2 legions) to relieve Nicaea. This is a high-risk move, since I still don't know where Otho's main force is. If they also arrive in Nicaea in time, he will have much more troops and legions there, and easily defeat my army.

sCcIK.jpg

In other news, I recruit another Germanic mercenary unit into my services. This time it's a Batavian auxiliary force, which has some amphibious capabilities.

Cenobyte

Prophet
Okay, here we go again. The next two turns will be rather boring again, but then (next update) things start to really heat up and the situation will get quite tense and complex.

#Turn 6#

Nd1AE.jpg

Nicaea has surrendered to the enemy, but Valens did arrive in time. Here's a interesting issue: If you loose a fortress, but arrive there with reinforcements in the same turn, the fortress will not spawn an enemy garrison but immediately change ownership to you again. I'm not sure if this is WAD, but in this case, it saves me a lot of time.

OZy9F.jpg

In the north, all forces fail their activation check again and continue to be locked. Well, I hope this won't be standard procedure from now on.

#Turn 7#

Ka3d2.jpg

Here's the second Roman vs Roman battle of our game. This time, Valens' men in Nicaea engaged the besieging force (didn't happen last turn, probably because of the cautious orders of the Otho force) and scored another small, but not decisive victory. With this victory, the way to Genua and Rome is now open, but I still lack the troops for such a campaign (remember that Valens currently commands only 2 legions).

6THIW.jpg

Since the Britannic legions are still locked, I decide to pull 2 legions from Caecina's force, and send them to reinforce Valens in Nicaea. This means that Caecina is left with only 1 legion, but I guess the Otho player has realized by now from where my invasion will be coming, and for siege duties 1 legion will be enough.

Once these troop movements are finished, my invasion will start in earnest. At that time, I was quite confident that Otho would be defeated in a short time. But then again, things never work out as planned...

Tigranes

Arcane
I admit I find strategy LPs hard to follow, even though I love playing them, but I look forward to how it turns out.

I like how 40k vs. 13k in the last battle => 1000 vs. 1300 casualties on either side. I can't remember the historical casualty ratios in the era, but how does this play out gameplay-wise? A lot of follow-up battles or?

The anime-style portraits have a funny effect. They aren't a big deal and not worth bitching about, but what I mean is that I keep imagining Vitellius breaking out with MEGA FLANKING SPECIAL ABILITY, swirling falcons and unsubtle neo-Nazi imagery.

Cenobyte

Prophet
This update will be a little bit longer, since many things happened. Things took a turn for the unexpected this time!

#Turn 8#

Events:

jnwZs.jpg

In the log, I spotted this message. This can only mean more trouble for me... luckily I had not completely withdrawn all forces from the Germanic border. At that time, I was quite optimistic that I could subdue this rebellion without much effort (they are only a bunch of Germanic barbarians, after all...)

BhR5m.jpg

And on top of the rebellion, I got this event. The Germanic mercenaries I recruited just 2 turns ago join the rebellion and leave my forces. Drat! (I had no idea about this event, otherwise I wouldn't have recruited those horsemen in the first place).

UrVdL.jpg

Here's a screenshot of the situation in Germania. Noviomagus (modern-day Nijmegen in the Netherlands) was taken by Civilis' hordes. Of course, given my luck so far, my force in Germania is locked this turn, so I cannot immediately react to this incursion. Well, this means I will just have to wait and see how things develop.

oG2Ci.jpg

Fh3BL.jpg

In Britannia, some Irish or Scottish pirates have landed in Wales. I will sent a small detachment to clear the area of those bandits.

MPKRl.jpg

And yet another unexpected finding: Otho has sent a force from Hispania and conquered the southern city of Narbo (modern-day Narbonne in France).

Me7rI.jpg

But this time, I can actually react. My Britannic legions have awaken from their eternal slumber, and I immediately order them to recapture Narbo. It's not really important, but I hate to loose my cities.

58Vs5.jpg

Valens and my main army is ordered to assault and take Genua. This should finally open the way to Rome!

#Turn 9#

Battle reports:

70USy.jpg

In Genua, Valens has run into a force under the direct command of Otho! With superior numbers and better commanders, my forces prevailed and won the day. On top of that, a significant number of the Othonian cavalry was slaughtered!

This battle is quite significant in a number of ways: First, I know the location of Otho's main force now. Secondly, it seems that Otho's troops are still not united. There's at least one legion missing in his force. If he cannot bring in this legion in time, my attack on Rome will be a piece of cake (at the moment I have superior numbers and superior quality on my side). After all the bad news with the Germanic rebellion, this battle was quite a welcome change!

Events:

OMuje.jpg

Another revolt, this time in Britannia!!!! Again, it proved to be a good decision to not abandon Britannia completely. But my single remaining legion will have a hard time against the Celtic horde...

ynO0M.jpg

And more bad news from the north. The rebellious Batavii get support from other Germanic tribes.

Orders:

hbnqj.jpg

My glorious would-be Emperor continues to slack off, and I'm still unable to respond to Civilis' rebellion. From the look of it, it seems that Civilis has split his troops and has only a few remaining with him in Noviomagus... if I could just move my force :mad:
Some of his horsemen have laid siege to Novaesium. I hope I can relieve this fort before it is captured.

qIhHO.jpg

The situation in Vindonissa. The garrison is still holding out, and I don't have enough breaches to assault the fort. I will have to wait.

vnxm3.jpg

I cleared the Othonians away from Narbo without a fight. The small force made the wise decision to withdraw when facing my far superior force. I order one legion to assault Narbo, while the other legion is sent to reinforce Caecina in Vindonissa.

LHRnd.jpg

The situation in Liguria. I could directly press on towards Rome, but my troops are quite battered from the battle with Otho. In the end, I decide to rest them for one turn. Otho had to retreat to the northeast, which is very good for me, since it means that he needs more time than me to reach Rome. If he doesn't move this turn, I should be able to reach Rome before him and thus end this war (the capture of Rome triggers an automatic defeat for Otho). It will literally be a race for Rome next turn!

kzc5G.jpg

Finally, Britannia. I failed to find the pirates, but they are nothing more than a small nuisance, anyway. The real deal is the Brigantes revolt in Eboracum! I order my troops to gather in Deva. From there, I will start my efforts to subdue this rebellion.

Tigranes

Arcane
Why can't your Germanic legions move again? Are they committed to something? I'm sure I missed the explanation, but yeah.

Looks like the vagaries of turn-based movement may well deliver Rome to you soon enough.

oscar

Arcane
Sounds like an experienced player would have an advantage in knowing the events.

Norfleet

Why can't your Germanic legions move again?
Apparently they're playing under a ruleset where units turn themselves on and off at random. I am not entirely sure what the explanation or appeal is, but that's what they're doing.

Cenobyte

Prophet
Sounds like an experienced player would have an advantage in knowing the events.

Yeah, definitely. But some of them trigger randomly, so you can never know for sure when they will fire (I think the rebellions in this case have such a random trigger).

To the locked Germanic legions: In AGE games, all stacks have to make a "activation roll" at the beginning of each turn. If they succeed, they can act normally, without penalties. If they fail, the outcome depends on the settings. If you play with the standard settings, unactivated stacks cannot attack and will have penalties for moving and defending, but you can still use them in some capacity. However, if you use the hardest rule in the settings, there is a chance that unactivated stacks will become completely locked for 1 turn, and thus cannot do anything at all in that turn.

It's not completely random, though. Leaders influence the die roll with their "Strategic" rating (the higher the rating, the better the chance to succeed the roll, for example, Valens with his Strategic rating of 6 will basically always succeed his roll) and if a stack was activated last turn, you get a +1 bonus on the roll for the next turn.

The idea behind this activation rule is to simulate effective and ineffective leadership and quarrels between commanders and subordinates. It's quite fun and adds a lot to the depth of the game. But it can also be very frustrating, especially if you want to react or move fast but cannot because your troops have just decided to take a break for a turn or two.

TripJack

Hedonist
cool lp cenobro

this activation locking thing seems rather shit, i don't know if i could stand playing with that

Cenobyte

Prophet
Yes, this rule also applies to the AI. But you can give it an AI-only bonus for the activation rolls, if you want to beef up the AI.

#Turn 10#

In this turn, all my forces are finally active, and I take some measures to contain all those rebellions. Furthermore, the race for Rome finally begins in earnest.

ODSYP.jpg

Even more bad news. The rebellion continues to spread unchecked, and more and more Germanic tribes join the cause of Civilis. I really have to do something about this, or else I won't have much of an Empire left once I've captured Rome.

3NwhY.jpg

Finally! Vitellius is active this turn! I order him to advance to Novaesium, to be able to scout on Civilis' main force in Noviomagus (to be able to scout enemy positions, you must have a force of your own in an adjacent province). He still seems to be very weak (only 2 strength points in his unit counter), so if my calculations prove to be correct, I might be able to inflict a decisive defeat on him with Vitellius' men.

54yNY.jpg

In Vindonissa, I achieve a first breach. But Vindonissa is a level 2 fortress, so I still need one more breach to be able to assault the fort. At the same time, the garrisons are down to 8 and 18 strength points, so they should surrender soon, maybe next turn.

Eh84l.jpg

Genua. Valens has recuperated a little, and will now begin his move for Rome. I hope I can outrun Otho for it.

MX0VV.jpg

Britannia quickly becomes a big clusterfuck. Since the Brigantes seem to be heading for Londinium, I'll order my legion to recapture Eboracum, to deny the Brigantes their main recruitment base.

#Turn 11#

Battles:

YbW17.jpg

Vitellius destroys a scouting cavalry unit of the Batavi. An easy victory. It's interesting, however, that this force was under the personal command of Civilis, and that Civilis had so few troops with him. I might be able to exploit this.

yAX0C.jpg

Londinium is stormed by the horde, and every single soldier of the garrison is slaughtered.

HvBAf.jpg

In return, Eboracum is stormed by my legionnaires.

ply1c.jpg

Another Batavian scouting force runs into my army in Novaesium, and is wiped out.

Events:

VCx3m.jpg

More bad news. Luckily I had nearly no Gallic mercenaries in my services (they are weaker than Germanic mercenaries, so I didn't hire them, proved to be a good decision). They also kill one of my generals.

iNWIj.jpg

Finally, something good for a change! An elite unit of heavy cavalry joins my cause. This support is much welcomed in these dark times!

Orders:

PggHX.jpg

These are my new heavy cavalrymen. Since cavalry, especially heavy cavalry, is a department in which the Romans are seriously lacking, it's a really useful addition to my forces.
Also note the huge buildup of the Batavii in Noviomagus.

qAJal.jpg

In spite of this buildup, I decide to order my forces into Novaesium. I recon that the troops in the fort are still under construction and will not be able to support Civilis' force outside of the fort. So I should be able to defeat Civilis and then lay siege to Novaesium, where I will wait until all the newly built troops surrender. Once I have retaken Novaesium, the main force and base of the rebels should be eliminated, and mop-up operations against the remaining rebels should quickly end the rebellion for good.

8GBHY.jpg

In Britannia, I decide against an open field battle with the Brigantes since I've only 1 single legion at hand. Instead, I'll try to destroy smaller forces of the Brigantes and thus slowly reduce their strength to a number that I can challenge in an open battle.

w0usb.jpg

Vindonissa is still holding out. The siege continues...

u0zrh.jpg

Surprise! Instead of rushing to Rome like my own forces, Otho has moved to Genua! I really have no idea what he wants there. :eek:

j6GjN.jpg

Valens, on the other hand, is now deep in Etruria, 20 days away from Ostia. The march is very tiring to his troops, however, and I won't be able to assault Rome without another stop to rest my soldiers. I also have to keep tabs on the supply level of my force, which is now deep in enemy-controlled territory. Since Ostia doesn't have a fort, I recon that it will surrender to my forces without any fight. So I give Valens the order to move into Ostia (not only into the province, but into the city of Ostia itself) once he has reached the port. I'm giving this order because troops regain their cohesion faster if they rest inside a city. As a port, Ostia should also produce enough supplies to supply my force for the assault on Rome.

TripJack

Hedonist
wonder what that scum vespasian is up to

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom