Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's see Codex reach the stars! [Finished]

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
FUCKING HELL!

The same swarm was found in LHS 292 - three jumps from Sol and five from DX Cancri. Either they are moving around rapidly or there are two systems they already control.

This time they ambushed my GEV and destroyed it. While my GSV was trying to get to the jump point, she got attacked too.

THERE WILL BE MIGHTY RETRIBUTION!

Anyway, current galaxy map - blue dots are colonized planets, orange dots are unexplored jump points, orange circles are systems with unexplored jump points, the two shades of blue circles are systems with terrestrial planets that require only little terraforming and the red circle means that geosurvey isn't finished.

Nry2J.jpg

And thanks phelot! At one point, I was starting to think that only Destroid reads this but seems there's a wider audience after all.

Oh and for people thinking of terraforming Mercury, don't do it with a colony on the surface. Everybody needs to work on the environmental stuff, just to survive and can't thus work on the terraformers. I have little over ten million colonists there so far. Good thing my first two terraformer ships just rolled out of shipyards so we can get it done. I'd recommend a combination of orbital platforms and terraforming ships, instead of trying to have enough infrastructure. Well, a good learning experience.

Phelot

Arcane
Are there not fighters in this game? Can you build aircraft carriers or do you just not have the tech yet?

Can you get to other galaxies?

EDIT: BTW, that first battle with the alien ship reminded me of the Battle of Jutland with all the salvos and so many misses.

Ashery

Prophet
There are fighters in the game, but they've got issues of their own. They're limited to 10HS/500tons, but you generally don't want to be pushing this limit as fighters are restricted to only one fighter engine (60% the power rating of a traditional military engine, 20% the size (1HS to 5HS), and 100x the fuel consumption) and, should they push the 500ton limit, they'll be too slow to really be effective.

I will say I've been dabbling with an anti-missile fighter using miniaturized gauss cannons, but there's apparently no "Intercept" command in the game and, as missiles move after fighters, I'd have to manually plot where the missiles will be after the movement phase, otherwise my fighters go to their previous position and have no hope of engaging them.

Oh, and fighters take a fairly hefty investment of RP early on. Think it's something like 12k to unlock the fighter engine and another several thousand to get the boat bay -> hangar deck series.

Destroid

Arcane
There are indeed. Fighters are ships up to 500t, they have a special more powerful engine (that uses 100x more fuel), have a bonus to beam weapon tracking and can be built in fighter factories. Usually carried in hangers to reload single shot missile launchers, and to stop their maintenance clocks going up (and systems failing). The techs to get all the systems to build effective fighters do cost a bit so Garf probably has not researched them yet.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Fighter engine - 10,000 RP
Boat bay - 2000 RP
Hangar deck - 4000 RP

So nope, haven't researched them yet. I will at some point because they extend your effective range tremendously. Best engagement range would be using two-stage missiles from fighters launched from carriers - but then you'd need one hell of AS and FC to pull it off, though you could engage the enemy fleet thousands of millions of kliks away.

Currently you cannot get to other galaxies, though other galaxies can get to you... :hint:hint:

Oh and that first battle was nothing. Just wait until my main fleet gets into battle with the Swarm - that's going to be fun.

Destroid

Arcane
GarfunkeL said:
you'd need one hell of AS and FC to pull it off

Not quite - you only need to vaguely know where they are to send the fighters, who in turn only need a somewhat better idea to launch multi stage missiles or drones which can mount their own sensors for terminal detection and fire control. The ships and fighters don't need a FC at all with that setup.

Very small ships can mount powerful sensors, FACs will happily carry a 300-400t active sensor and retain high speed. In fact, for a given payload, FACs are usually faster than fighters, unless the payload is extremely small.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
GarfunkeL said:
And thanks phelot! At one point, I was starting to think that only Destroid reads this but seems there's a wider audience after all.

i check the thread every few days. But I haven't played aurora so I'm not really qualified to comment on what you're doing. I leave commenting on games I've never played to people like Skyway.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Ulminati said:
GarfunkeL said:

i check the thread every few days. But I haven't played aurora so I'm not really qualified to comment on what you're doing. I leave commenting on games I've never played to people like Skyway.

Destroid

Arcane
Just did some test fit outs for extreme range delivery systems. I was able (with 2070s technology) to make fighters able to fire a pair of size 16 drones while retaining a speed of ~12,000 and range of 900 million km. My drone engine technology isn't quite up to scratch but you could easily stretch your strike range out to 2 billion km. Now all I need is a stealthy passive scout to spot targets.

Phelot

Arcane
Garfunkel!!!!!!!!! I want mah space battles!!!! Forget those whiny camp kids and get to your laptop!

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Sorry phelot, camp is closing down, super busy cleaning up the place and packing stuff. Might be able to play a little tonight but no promises.

Destroid, yeah, forgot you don't need FC for them, just AS.

Cassidy

Arcane
How do I assign three 1000 tons FACs as parasite crafts of a larger vessel with 3 hangars? I'm suspecting it's impossible as when designing the mothership the FAC designs didn't appear in ideal hangar loadout. Also, how do I transfer TGs from one Task Force to another? Switching them in the Task Groups menu changes nothing, because after closing and opening it again, the TG returns to the previous TF, and even assigning all TG ships to another Task Force in main fleet organization the TG still remains in the first Task Force.

As for why I just built over 20 military academies in the game and thus there is a surplus of officers for paper-pushing.

Solid Space warfare

The engagement ranges involved in the combat mechanics are quite Hard SciFi-ish. I believe it is because originally the author was leaning to make a full Hard Science 4x without FTL and all the other stuff, but decided to add the TN stuff later in its development because the time compression required to make STL interstellar travel not end totally boring would be too CPU-intensive (Like processing 100-1000 years of game events in one single turn because that, or even more, is how long interstellar travel without FTL would take)

Phelot

Arcane
ROFL... I installed it and fired it up, but my work computer's resolution isn't large enough for a lot of the windows and there doesn't seem to be any scroll bars? Guess I'll wait until I get home.

Destroid

Arcane
@phelot there is a reduced height mode in the 'game perameters' menu.

@Cassidy you can assign them from the F6 screen, on the top right there is a little mothership set of options. As far as I can tell FACs cannot be assigned to flights like fighters and you have to assign them one by one, resulting in a ton of micro whenever you want to do stuff with them :(

Then again, FACs can carry enough fuel for a month quite easily, so there really isn't much need to mount them in carriers, unless you were using box launchers. For the TF/TG thing, I've no idea.

Phelot

Arcane
Thanks, but that option doesn't seem to do anything for me? I'll just have to wait, I guess. Stupid ass old computer :lol:

Phelot

Arcane
1024x768 here and that's max.

On the star map I can't see the bottom options nor can I see the far right side. Oh well, this is a quality machine I'm on.

Anyway, I look forward to whenever you find the time to update :salute:

Cassidy

Arcane
Destroid said:
@Cassidy you can assign them from the F6 screen, on the top right there is a little mothership set of options. As far as I can tell FACs cannot be assigned to flights like fighters and you have to assign them one by one, resulting in a ton of micro whenever you want to do stuff with them :(

Then again, FACs can carry enough fuel for a month quite easily, so there really isn't much need to mount them in carriers, unless you were using box launchers.

But there is a limit called Max Squadron Jump Size in jump engines that is costly to improve by research and I don't think building jump gates to and from a system full of hostiles is a good idea, and by having the FACs inside a hangar they don't count in this limit during a jump. Yes, getting every ship a jump drive works too but I prefer to have only one jump-capable ship per squadron for the sake of efficiency, and delivering bigger fleets piecemeal using the same jump ship is too much of a micromanagement hell.

Destroid

Arcane
Cassidy said:
Destroid said:

Then again, FACs can carry enough fuel for a month quite easily, so there really isn't much need to mount them in carriers, unless you were using box launchers.

But there is a limit called Max Squadron Jump Size in jump engines that is costly to improve by research and I don't think building jump gates to and from a system full of hostiles is a good idea, and by having the FACs inside a hangar they don't count in this limit during a jump. Yes, getting every ship a jump drive works too but I prefer to have only one jump-capable ship per squadron for the sake of efficiency, and delivering bigger fleets piecemeal using the same jump ship is too much of a micromanagement hell.

Yep, that's pretty much why I use mass FACs as system defence ships, not for aggressive fleets. Also, you can get an unreasonably heavy throw weight out of single shot missile launchers, it's competitive in terms of ordinance carried with magazines + launchers. It's the same weight for me to fit 12 size 4 launchers with a 50 second reload with a 190 missile magazine as to simply fit 130 single shot launchers. Somewhat reduced ammunition count but it will take the standard launchers minutes to unload the same quantity of missiles and they will be staggered and thus more vulnerable to point defence systems.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Wow! That's a lot of aliens close by... scary. Does the game start all the races on the same level, or do you get Mass Effect kinda thing where humans start exploring and find that there are a bunch of aliens that have been flying around in space for ages? Seems like these guys are more advanced then you.

Cassidy

Arcane
The game doesn't balance tech levels at all. You may find both AI controlled foes that are backwards or far ahead. And in the case of Precursors and Extra-galactic invaders, way far ahead.

Phelot

Arcane
I've been playing a bit, and while this may not be the place to keep asking questions, at least it bumps it for Garfunkel not to forget about updating :wink:

Anyway, I'm playing with the Extra-Galactic invaders on. Are they basically impossible to beat? I mean, is it essentially a way to end the game or is it possible to defeat them? Also, when do they appear? Is it timed or something?

Elim

Augur
Project: Eternity
Keep up the good work, GarfunkeL! :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom