Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play Zafehouse Diaries!

• Thread starter Multi-headed Cow
  • Start date

Multi-headed Cow

Let's play Zafehouse Diaries!

vvhdS.jpg

Yes, the name of the game is fucking terrible. But it's dumb fun so let's roll with it!
As usual, for those so inclined here's the webpage for the game. http://www.zafehouse.com/

What is this game, you ask? Well as usual for the shit I LP it's a zombie game. Surprise, huh? The game is presented as a diary/log of events for your merry band of survivors, with each in-game hour being a turn. You don't ENTIRELY control what happens, but can give general orders to your survivors which they'll (Usually) try to carry out during the next turn. Your overall goal is to find the location a rescue helicopter is supposed to land (Via clues found by scavenging) and arrive there before/as it does. Failing that, survive as long as you can before hunger, disease, other humans, and ZAMBIES get you.

Worth noting that during the two brief games I played of this before starting the LP I ran into multiple bugs. Running the latest version but it still appears to be mighty unstable, so if something disastrous happens and the save gets fucked up don't say I didn't warn you. Also worth noting that I don't really know what the fuck I'm doing since I only played a few games to get the basics down. No idea on best strategies and suchlike. We're probably boned! And finally, I'll try to knock out updates for this relatively quickly, doing shorter faster updates with more room for Codex input. That's my intention anyway, god knows if I'll stick to it.

First log!

q9X0s.jpg

Map of our randomly generated town! The book icon indicates a library, the blank buildings are houses, the battery/barrel/can (Not sure what it's supposed to be) is a store, the dollar sign is a bank, the gears are factories, box with line in it are warehouses, bed is a hotel, Christian cross is a church, ABC is a school, hat is a university, regular cross is hospital, and finally circle with star is police station.

meF6Z.jpg

Now, let's meet our (First?) band of survivors! Why these people? Why these stats? 'cause they're what immediately popped to mind, and the stats/jobs are pulled out of my ass and partially randomized.

UqVz6.jpg

Multi-headed Cow, dashing cleaner!

6Ay2W.jpg

Azira, double-fisting firefighter!

vZjMl.jpg

Chris Avellone! And I swear to you Jaesun the not liking gay people was randomly assigned. I'M SO SORRY BRO.

5Yi6D.jpg

Stereotyptical Villain, smuggest chef in the post-apocalypse!

4y32Y.jpg

And finally Jaesun, dreaded librarian snake!

As you can see from the town map, our current "Safehouse" at 6 Nanette Lane isn't particularly safe. Not secured and not even entirely explored.
Our supplies (I'll be lazy and not take a screenshot since it's just text at the moment anyway) consist of:

Weapons and ammo:
6 9mm rounds and a handgun

Tools:
A butter knife, a can of gasoline, and a chess set

Medicine:
A packet of painkillers

Food:
2 cooking ingredients and 4 snacks

What do we do, Codex? Finish searching the house? Work on barricading it? Explore new buildings? We don't have to make this our safehouse, we could try securing some other building, or avoid making a safehouse entirely and roam around being idiots.

Guide us to prosperity!

Multi-headed Cow

No suggestions on what to do!? I'll guide us to prosperity then. SEE THAT I DON'T!

Working on an update now, going to be conservative and finish searching our starting house and start barricading.

Multi-headed Cow

Alright, due to the lack of guidance I'm making a command decision. The decision is to finish searching the house and start barricading!

QDuf2.jpg

As you can see, we've got 12 unsecured entrances on the building. This is doors, windows, etc. 12 Kinda seems like a lot but it'll probably be fine. Right? Probably fine.
First order of business is finish searching the house. Wouldn't do to start working on barricades only to find there was a zombie in the house we didn't know about. That would be silly!
Avellone is set to watch for zombies while the rest of the RPG Codex Action Team set to work searching the house. Orders ordered, it's time to advance time until the job's complete!

pIPpw.jpg

Finishing the 11:00 AM log:
Multiheaded and Jaesun's constant bickering is getting everyone down.
We found a cooking ingredient in the kitchen.

We are FUCKING TERRIBLE at searching, holy shit. 5 hours of searching the house and we're still finding crap in the kitchen. I'm not feeling good about the chances for our group. Checking the map page for the house stats, we're only at 67% searched.
Change of plan, I pull Avellone off of zombie watching and put him to work searching. He has our best zombie watching skill AND search skill, but at the rate we're searching without him this is fucking ridiculous.
I set myself for guard duty. I have a shitty spot skill (3 stars compared to Avellone's 5) but it gets me away from Jaesun which is probably for the best. SORRY BRO BUT BREAKING UP GRPG OFFENDED ME. JUST TOOK A ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE FOR IT TO COME TO THE SURFACE.

JPo2S.jpg

:yeah:
Just took Avellone searching to wrap things up quickly!
Alright, here's our new plan for the moment:

qg2cR.jpg

Avellone on zombie watch duty, me and Azira on barricade duty, Villain to turn those ingredients into food, and Jaesun idle. Jaesun's being left to his own devices because unfortunately he doesn't have any barricading skill (Only me and Azira do apparently), no cooking skill (Only Villain does), and Chris "Hates the gays" Avellone probably wouldn't take kindly to having Jaesun watching zombies with him.
Certainly didn't intend for this game to hate you Jaesun, I'm sorry!

5nBrU.jpg

I guess it turns out I'm a dick. I don't get along with Jaesun OR Azira! Since Villain's done making meals, I post him on guard duty with Avellone. Jaesun has set himself to tinkering, which can randomly improve an item if things go well. No barricades have gone up yet, all we've accomplished in a few hours is breaking apart a fridge and arguing. I like to imagine the past hour was spent standing over the wrecked fridge, gesticulating and shouting at where we should bolt the parts without actually doing anything.

9dUNS.jpg

Alright, here's our situation for the end of this update. Sun's setting and we managed to get one barricade up, which the few zombies outside have started half-heartedly slapping at.
We could stay here and keep working on barricading, we could send a team out to explore buildings at night (Surely a good idea), we could try to fight off some of the zombies surrounding our building (With fuck-all weapons and ammo), we could try to pack up and move to another building, or whatever you bros suggest. If you've got an idea I could try to implement as much as I can in this game.

What do, bros?

Ashery

Prophet
No suggestions on what to do!? I'll guide us to prosperity then. SEE THAT I DON'T!

One mental breakdown down, four more to go.

*Grabs popcorn*

But, since you're asking so desperately, I suggest sitting tight for the night and scouting both the store and factory tomorrow.

Lindblum

Augur
Get some sort of barricade up then send some guys out to scout for stuff.

Morkar Left

This game sounds great!

Barricades up, sleep and visiting a store tomorrow. If enough time left go to the police station to get some weapons or even using it as a new shelter.

Multi-headed Cow

Alright, sounds like I can combine both suggestions (Sorry Morkar, started doing this update before your post came in) to make one plan. Sit tight and QUIETLY work on the barricades during the night, then start scouting once the sun comes up. Also, I have a cunning plan...

BZ4RY.jpg

BAM! Going to start a rumor that Jaesun wrote an OUTRAGEOUSLY POPULAR article (Among middle-class middle-aged men) for the local paper. Hopefully this rumor will cut down on all the Jaesun hate.
It seems you can activate one rumor a day, the main purpose being trying to manage relationships among your survivors because there's really no direct way to do so otherwise. Hopefully this will work!

bl6cr.jpg

:yeah:
Not bad. Improved relations for Jaesun a bit and didn't negatively impact any. I'll call that a success. That single barricade me and Azira put up seems to be doing a surprisingly good job, too. CAN WE LAST THE NIGHT?

7vzXN.jpg

Chris Avellone suggests A BOLD PLAN and the entire rest of the group decides it's banal shit boring and ignores it. RPG Codex not following MCA? This game isn't realistic at all.
Also worth noting, killing zombies leaves behind corpses, which can cause Bad Things. Maybe someone should drag the bodies out. Tomorrow though.

iLRbg.jpg

50QsG.jpg

Note the blood on the journal. We'll be seeing that often, it means a survivor was hurt. We get off easy this time though, this IS only our first night after the apocalypse.
Also worth noting that we're out of food now. Really gonna need to scavenge tomorrow!

9eDBq.jpg

z7447433Q,Chris-Avellone.jpg

We reach 6:00 AM with no events. Sun's up and it's easier to spot zombies. Going to send Chris on the store looting mission since I'm pretty sure he has the best spot skill of any of us. The game doesn't give you stats on the character sheets, just sometimes will list stars when assigning people to jobs.
Our jobs at the moment: Avellone is checking the store to the east of us, Jaesun is dragging bodies outside, Villain is on guard duty, and Azira and I are going to stand around doing nothing and pretend we're building barricades. TEAMWORK! WE CAN DO THIS YOU GUYS!

1D2zQ.jpg

WHAT THE FUCK. MCA is MIA and presumably dead. What happened? We don't know! Maybe I should've sent a buddy out with him. Well... Uh... We made it to day 2 before someone died, so that's something!
We really could use food, so I'm going to send Jaesun and Villain to a DIFFERENT store (Maybe bandits are camped in that store and killed MCA or something?) to look for food. Azira's got corpse duty, and I'll work on the barricades myself.

Just as I end turn with these orders...

KddAx.jpg

OH GOD OH GOD WHAT DO I DO. I'll post this as-is and if somebody can sneak an answer in relatively quickly I'll do that. If nobody makes it in time I'm going to send him away. We're down one MCA and I'm lightly wounded and we have one handgun with 5 shots. I don't think we're in a position to be taking on a super zombie.

Lindblum

Augur
Help him, the faster we die the faster we can restart. Also hopefully he won't blow our brains out if we refuse him.

Is losing a member at day 1 a bad thing?

Multi-headed Cow

Is losing a member at day 1 a bad thing?

Probably, yeah. But my limited experience with the game thus far has always resulted in party wipes so I'm not so surprised. I am surprised that he just vanished though, I've never had that happen before.

And since Mr. Lindblum got a reply in first, we help the mysterious stranger! Let it never be said that the RPG Codex isn't helpful.

Well fuck. Now look what you've gone and done Lindblum!
Here are our final stats, and I'll have to export the diary and then open it in the viewer to get our final log. If we had the decency to write "AAAAAAAARGH I AM SLAIN" the game could've at least shown it to us.
:rpgcodex:

VFn24.jpg

SEKnj.jpg

PIbjg.jpg

Thus ends our first zombie adventure!

I'll be starting up a new party tomorrow, if anyone wants to be a survivor, make a post. I can either slap together your general information or you can. Here are the pertinent details:

Money: Poor, middle, rich
Education: Uneducated, highschool, university
Orientation: Straight, gay
Ancestry: African, central and south Asian, east Asian, European, middle eastern, native American
Career: Engineer, librarian, athlete, surgeon, firefighter, police officer, chef, cleaner, carpenter, mechanic
Special trait: Strong, smart, perceptive, resilient

There's obviously some wiggle between the "Set" character creation and the final character, but that's what we can mess with.
I'll try to use your forum avatar for your portrait unless you've got something else you want me to use. In which-case, link!

If there aren't 5 survivors lined up in time for party creation tomorrow I'll just wing it again. And that didn't work out that great this time!

lightbane

Arcane
Awesome game :lol:

I say you help him.

EDIT: Damn, I was too slow.

EDIT 2: Let me give me a try:

Name: Lightbane
Jewgold: Rich
Education: Univ.
Orientation: Cisgender Straight
Ancestry: European
Career:Surgeon
Trait: Smart

Morkar Left

I was gonna posting this:

Probably a trap, too. I would avoid by now.

MCA sending out alone wasn't a good idea in my opinion. I would sent at least 2 people everywhere but I don't know how the game handles this.

Maybe instead of you and Azira only one should do the barricades? It seems you both block each other.

...but the update came a lot faster than I could react...

:patriot:

My entry:

Name: Alicia Washington
Money: rich
Education: Uneducated
Orientation: Straight
Ancestry: African
Career: athlete
Special trait: resilient (or strong if resilient isn't meant in the sense of durable)

Multi-headed Cow

MCA sending out alone wasn't a good idea in my opinion. I would sent at least 2 people everywhere but I don't know how the game handles this.

Maybe instead of you and Azira only one should do the barricades? It seems you both block each other.
You definitely can send multiple people on away-missions, and that probably will be a good idea in the future unless we get really desperate. ESPECIALLY now that I know people can get picked off by themselves like that.

And yeah, having only one of us working on the barricades might've been a good idea. It'd go faster if we got along, but since we bickered so much that might've been slowing us down. Good relationships are hard to come by in this game!

Ashery

Prophet
:lol:

Wasn't expecting that result with MCA, that's for sure.

Sign me up for the next round:

Ashery
Poor
Highschool
Straight
Male
European
Carpenter
Resilient

Anabanana

Augur
Knew that helping that stranger wouldn't have led to anything good.

Anyway, I'd love to be zombie bait too, please.

Banana
Middle
University
Gay
Female
East Asian
Engineer
Smart

Dayyālu

Arcane
I'll regret this. Let's see how long an Iranian dude stands....

Artabanes
Poor
University
Straight
Male
Middle Eastern
Cleaner
Smart

Dry Hump

Novice
Lord Segundo, Esq.
Rich.
High School.
Straight.
Male.
European.
Librarian.
Perceptive.

Lindblum

Augur
Lindblum
Money: Poor
Education:university
Orientation: Straight
Ancestry: east Asian
Career: librarian
Special trait:resilient

O wow thats fast 5 people already.

Multi-headed Cow

Alright, group's made. All you bros who missed it will be next in queue for group 3 if/when one gets made!

DpOTb.jpg

7JRQD.jpg

And now time to look at our new band of survivors!

1qdfk.jpg

Banana, crafty engineer and also totally not a racist!

MCvoZ.jpg

Laclongquan, who clearly isn't a racist!

2Jc99.jpg

Ashery, grizzled old carpenter!

AJfjx.jpg

Alicia "Morkar" Washington, with the smug face of a Villain and a hatred of the gays of an Avellone!

F01kD.jpg

Lightbane, trusty surgeon who doesn't need women as long as he has his pillow!

Our supplies are:

Weapons: 9 9mm rounds, and a handgun

Tools: 3 pieces of scrap, a frying pan, a hammer, a pair of binoculars, a saucepan, a screwdriver, a stereo, and a wooden spoon

Medicine: None

Food: 3 cooking ingredients and 3 snacks

What's the plan, Codex? Finish searching the house? Work on barricades? Move to a theoretically more defensible building?

Anabanana

Augur
This is amazing. By the end of the day most of us will be clamouring to be eaten by zombies just to get away from this hatefest, I bet. Anyway, let's try to stave off the racist, sexist, homophobic murderlust and finish searching the house for now.

lightbane Re: your avatar
I see someone's been following a certain Catherine LP :thumbsup:

Ashery

Prophet
Banana + Laqo: Search
Ashery + Alicia: Barricade
Lightbane: Trap and/or search

lightbane

Arcane
Anabanana

Sorta, I checked it, I liked the contents and I've decided to play the game. I didn't regret it, it was fun.

Anabanana

Augur
Banana + Laqo: Search
Ashery + Alicia: Barricade
Lightbane: Trap and/or search

This, but I think Lightbane should focus on the searching. Want to make sure the area is safe first, after all.

Anabanana

Sorta, I checked it, I liked the contents and I've decided to play the game. I didn't regret it, it was fun.

Have you checked out the first ever Catherine tournament? It will blow your mind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom