Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Winter Voices: Season 1: Prologue: Avalanche

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Now with slightly better level scaling so that the avarage codexian wont be alianted by the hardcore mechanics that is image tabbing.

Welcome to Let's Play Winter Voices: Season 1: Prologue: Avalanche. A new dramatic RPG by french company Beyondthepillars.
The game features such exciting features as:

-Tactical Turn Based Combat with a french twist to it
-Well written and interesting dialogue with witty choices for you to pick, shaping what kind of person your character is and changing the way the NPCs feel about you
-A mysterious and deep plot that will grab you and take you on a adventure you will never forget.

Unfortunately I fucked up and the screenshots are way too big, so I'll be using thumbnails for my first few updates. Whatcha gonna do?

Well, without further ado, here we go:

Chapter 0: Creating our heroine

SS-2010-10-30_221302.jpg

Menu screen.

SS-2010-10-30_221305.jpg

Alright. First we pick our class. Huntress, Weaver or Volva. The big blob of text is supposed to tell you what the difference between the classes are, but you might as well disregard everything in it. Classes only affect your base stats. The rest is just fluff.

I pick the Weaver because she has the most base Humor. The Volva has the most base Memory. Not sure what the Hunter has.

SS-2010-10-30_221323.jpg

Alright, here are our main stats: Humor, Charisma and Intuition. I start Will Power as a dump stat, but I'll let it take priority over Intuition later on.

Now for what the stats do:
Humor is the tank stat. It lets you absorb more damage. It also opens up some cynical dialogue choices. Oh boy!
Will Power is health
Memory is an interesting (shitty) stat. It increases EXP gained, but it also increases damage taken. I created a Volva at first and put everything into Memory. At level 1 I had an absoprtion rate of -75%, meaning I took 75% more damage. If you wanna play hard mode, then go Volva and all out on Memory.
Perspicacity gives you more PP points at the beginning of combat, and increases your PP regeneration. You use PP for skills.
Charisma increases your chance avoid attacks
Intuition increases your chance to spot traps

That's pretty much the bare bones. Some of them do more than just that, but I forgot what.

Our character is gonna be a tank of sort.

SS-2010-10-30_221405.jpg

And this is what our heroine will look like. You can't create a male, but you can LARP that you're playing a tranny, if you want to. It's what I do.

That's it for character creation. On with the adventure.

Chapter 1: The adventure begins - a mysterious encounter with shadows!

SS-2010-10-30_221429.jpg

Apparently we are mourning our fathers death, when suddenly a man walks into the room.

Veikko: Beatrix? It's me, Veikko. May I come in?

Veikko: I came to tell you that I'm going to help carry your fathers body to the pyre. You can go and look at the body until then.

Veikko is silent for a moment. Standing there in your room, still undecided if he should leave or stay. Eventually he does leave without uttering a single word.

Beatrix
: I guess I should go look at my dad one more time before they grill him

SS-2010-10-30_221715.jpg

All is well, when out of nowhere something appears

SS-2010-10-30_221742.jpg

Our first encounter! Well, it's a tutorial battle, so there isn't really much to it yet. Our goal is to escape the room.

Dusk Shadow: His spirit is dead, his body fell to earth. The murder was consummated, the childhood came und-

Beatrix: Nothing you say will make any sense, will it?

Nope. The dusk will talk in cryptic riddles, and I'm one Cleve short to try and figure out what the hell they are talking about.

But who cares, dialogue choices!

SS-2010-10-30_221841.jpg

We finally get out of the room and the dusk shadows fade away.

SS-2010-10-30_221926.jpg

As soon as we exit the room we are promted with another tutorial fight.

SS-2010-10-30_221947.jpg

We meet a Mocking Shadow who claims to be our mother. It tries to trash talk us, but we take none of that shit. We sass right back at her and she stops talking to us.

SS-2010-10-30_222040.jpg

After which we manage to escape the shadows again.

Now outside of the house we can take a slight breather.

Beatrix: Ahh~. What a kawaii morning. The best kind of day to- what the?

Beatrix watches as her dad casually walks up and starts peering at the distance.

Beatrix: That's.. Strange. I better approach him, but in battle mode, because there might be traps around.

SS-2010-10-30_222202.jpg

And traps there are since this is the trap detection tutorial.
I use the detect traps skill and navigate to the father in what could be some of the most intense tactical turn based combat ever.

The Father: What are you doing out here in the cold? Are you leaving?

Beatrix: Does it matter? It's not like there's anyone left for me here.

The Father: And yet someone waited for you here, for a long time. You should leave. I am.. too old to leave.

Beatrix: Wait, you're not making any sense, are you? And I do recall you being dead. What's up with that?

The Father: You're right. Your father is dead. I'm just the left over of his memory.

Beatrix: Groovy.

The image turns around and looks away into the horizon, losing interest in us. It stands there staring into the distance before fading away.

SS-2010-10-30_222253.jpg

Battle time! This is the final tutorial battle. Our mission is to escape the shadows into the green grid. They will vanish as soon as we get to that particular patch of snow.

SS-2010-10-30_222528.jpg

As I make my escape and navigate between the traps I decide to have a look at what kind of traps have been laid out here.
Then I feel stupid when I do.

SS-2010-10-30_222555.jpg

Oh well, we survived! Tutorial complete. Part 2 coming soon.

Note: I'll go more into detail about the combat in the next update. I should probably make a video of the combat too so you can get a better feel of it. I'll try and get it for the next update.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Chapter 2: Visiting friends of the family Part I

SS-2010-10-31_143803.jpg

Inkeri: What's happening, my love?
Beatrix: I was.. out, getting some air.
Inkeri: The bonfire is ready. We'll begin the cremation shortly. Are you ready?
Beatrix: Yes.
Inkeri: Then follow me.

SS-2010-10-31_144151.jpg

We watch as they begin the cremation when we start to lose our nerve. Our legs give us away and we fall trembling to our knees.

SS-2010-10-31_144151.jpg

The volva, Inkeri, recites a badly written poem. It's quite long, boring and doesn't add anything to the story so I decided to skip it.

SS-2010-10-31_144519.jpg

How about some more long winded and cryptic exposition? Because that's my favorite kind of story telling.

SS-2010-10-31_144552.jpg

And with all that crap done, we've gained a level! Hurrah! Time to distribute stats and pick our first skill.

SS-2010-10-31_144725.jpg

This is how I'll mainly distribute the stats on level ups. I'll probably put some points into Perspicacity at some point to get more PP points. Humor and Will Power will always be our priority.

SS-2010-10-31_144816.jpg

And this is where it all comes down. Over 40 skills to choose from, most of which deal in some kind of way to heal yourself or buff your defense. In this game you don't kill your enemies, you try to out last them.
Truly an innovation in french design.

The skill I chose this level is Emptiness. Halves our HP by 50%, but it buffs our absorption rate so much that we wont take any damage for the duration we have it active, so that's ok.

Now would be a good time to explain all our core skills.
We've got 4 basic skills:
Repulsion Pushes the enemy away by 1 grid
Anticipation Decreases the damage the enemy does by 10%
Detection shows traps in the area
Escape increases our movement points by 1

Anyway, on with the show.

SS-2010-10-31_145219.jpg

Our task is to go back to Inkeri's house and talk to her. Her house is shown here on the map. It's a short hike.

SS-2010-10-31_145503.jpg

And here we are with nothing exciting happening in between.

SS-2010-10-31_145530.jpg

Inkeri: Don't exhaust yourself. By the way, did you visit your father's friends?
Beatrix: Not yet.
Inkeri: You should. Especially Olov. Since your father and him were foreigners they seemed to get along pretty well.
Beatrix: Foreigners? My father was a foreigner?
Inkeri: I guess your father didn't mention that he wasn't originally from here.
Beatrix: He didn't talk much.
Inkeri: Indeed. He never talked much to anyone.
Beatrix: Well thanks for your help. I'll go visit dad's friends.
Inkeri: Be well.

SS-2010-10-31_150225.jpg

We have 3 people to talk to now. Olov and Veikko's houses are next to each other so we'll visit them first.

SS-2010-10-31_150758.jpg

We arrive at Veikko's place where we are ambushed by shadows. Our goal here is to survive for 15 whole rounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt4-zrb2_Hw
Here's a video I made demonstrating the combat. I kind of fucked up pretty bad towards the end, but since we're playing a tank it's ok. With any other kind of character that would've probably ended up in death.

The way the combat works is that you have to avoid the shadows and just try and survive. The closer they are the more damage they do.
Needless to say, it sucks pretty bad.

SS-2010-10-31_151652.jpg

And we survived. Now we can proceed to Veikko's house.

SS-2010-10-31_163236.jpg

Finally at his house, we can chat with him and see what kind of person he is. Maybe learn something new about our father.

Beatrix: I'm looking for my father. Middle-aged guy. Maybe you've seen him?
Veikko: Huh? Anyway I was worried about you. How are you feeling?
Beatrix: I have seen worse. I am ok.
Veikko: You should rest. We are worried about you. I'd offer you to stay over for the night, but we have no extra room.
Anna-Liisa: What are you going to do now? Any plans?

SS-2010-10-31_163705.jpg

Veikko: I know you well. You look tired. You should really try and get some sleep.
Beatrix: I can't. Everywhere I go it feels like I am chased.. followed by.. by these shadows. I fear they might swallow me if I close my eyes. It's hard to explain.
Anna-Liisa: Is it that bad? You were always.. fragile. (She avoids eye contact, as if she was guilty of something)
Veikko: Have you talked to Inkeri?
Beatrix: Yes. She told me to get fresh air. It hasn't helped.
Veikko: She is right. Get some air, and rest if you can.
Beatrix: I will. and I'll stop bothering you with my problems.
Anna-Liisa: (She has a faint grin) No, no.. You are not bothering us.
Veikko: You're not a bother. Come by anytime.
Beatrix: Will do. Bye.

SS-2010-10-31_164634.jpg

We didn't learn anything about our father, but Anna-Liisa was acting rather strange. Actually, I'm gonna leave out some bits of me wandering around the village talking to random NPCs. Most of them don't have anything interesting to say (yet at least). They just give us their condolences and we gain a little XP by doing this. There is something you will notice, however. Some of the women will act hostile toward us. The men wont. Strange.

SS-2010-10-31_164634.jpg

Anyway, our next destination will be to visit Olov. That'll be for the next part. Till then, toodleoo.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

KamelĂĄsĂĄ!
Patron

I'm not clicking each of those thumbs to follow this LP. There's a reason every other LP in this forum posts full screenshots directly in the thread.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
JoKa said:
resize to 800x600 (or somesuch) and direct posting, plz...

Yeah, that'll be taken care of for the next update. For some reason I couldn't upload on imageshack (and I still can't for some reason) so I had to make do with this second rate crap site.

I'll try and fix the first updates after getting the second one in.

DriacKin

Arbiter
Hobo Elf said:
JoKa said:
resize to 800x600 (or somesuch) and direct posting, plz...

Yeah, that'll be taken care of for the next update. For some reason I couldn't upload on imageshack (and I still can't for some reason) so I had to make do with this second rate crap site.

You could always use something like photobucket or wordpress

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I updated my old crap now so that you newfags crying for more level scaling get what you want. Now I know how Bethesda feels like when making games.
:rpgcodex:
Just kidding. It's better this way.

Cenobyte

Prophet
hoverdog said:
hey, it's a french game.

But then the main strategy should be different strategies of surrendering.

If any Frenchie reads that, don't take it too seriously, though, I like you guys and your land ;)

laclongquan

Arcane
I am sure those descendant of That Shorty Little Tit from Corsica will return the insults one of these days. For now, they slumber. To sleep, perchance to dream. Of greatness that past.

Still, Napoleon must be turning like a propeller in his tomb.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Updated my journal.

Edit: Actually, I just wanna say that while I find the combat to be terrifyingly shitty, and the beginning is rather slow (I'm playing the game as I make the LP). I had to cheat and look at spoilers to see if the story picks up at some point.
And surprisingly it does become somewhat more interesting. So, while the beginning is rather slow, you better brace yourself for some twists and turns. And lesbians. That's all I'm gonna say for now.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Interesting, do carry on.

The only problem is that the dialog text is rather small in the screenshots.

JoKa

Cipher
these screens are much better..and the game looks interesting so far.
so, when's the next update coming?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
ghostdog said:
Interesting, do carry on.

The only problem is that the dialog text is rather small in the screenshots.

I think it might be a problem with photobucket. I can read the text just fine by looking at the pictures saved to my HD. Photobucket seems to bring down the quality a little and adds this stupid fuzzyness to the picture.

I'll try to experiment with different image uploaders in the future to see if I can get a clearer picture.

JoKa said:
these screens are much better..and the game looks interesting so far.
so, when's the next update coming?

Whenever I feel like it, I guess. Hell, I might update it again today. I've got all the time in the world since I haven't got a job nor am I studying anything at the moment.
:thumbsup:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Because I didn't feel like wasting much time or effort on it. It isn't something I'll be doing all the time (if ever again). It looks like ass on my screen as well, but I can make out what's going on when I put the settings to 1080p. I don't really expect anyone to watch the whole 8 minutes of that boring crap, but more power to them if they do.

Luzur

Good Sir
And this is what our heroine will look like. You can't create a male, but you can LARP that you're playing a tranny, if you want to. It's what I do.

why? is it a feminist game?

also, the engine would have been great for use in a Baldurs Gate clone RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom