Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's play Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends

Monocause

Arcane
Huh, all the races have attrition, the Cuotl just need to build holy districts for the effect.

Yeah, territory control. RoN games were different from your standard RTS that you needed to set-up chokepoints with stationary and mobile defenses while mustering attacks all the time. While in, say, Starcraft or Warcraft games you usually had 1-2 minutes of relief after you defended from an attack, in RoN games you have to battle a constant stream of enemy units. The game demands much more multitasking, and it's quite easy to get lost be it in MP or vs the AI on tough.

Speaking about tough - I'm kinda worried of making this LP on tough. On one hand Normal is too easy (especially later when you just steamroll everything with your starting army), on the other Tough is, well, tough, especially early in the campaign when you don't have much starting units, can't build juggernauts or decent air units and your heroes aren't upgraded. There should've been one more difficulty level to fit somewhere between them.

Still, brace yourselves, as the first update is coming today. I'd rather skip LPing the first few missions but perhaps I'll wriggle out of them by just posting them on youtube with some commentary and start a proper screenshot-based LP once I reach a certain point in the campaign.

dextermorgan

Arcane
The game demands much more multitasking, and it's quite easy to get lost be it in MP or vs the AI on tough.
Fortunately, in single player you can pause and issue commands / work orders and cast powers while paused. It makes all the microing a little less insane :smug:

Monocause

Arcane
Postponed for a while. Turns out RoL really doesn't like FRAPS and sound is unacceptable. I've got screenshots made for the first mission, just too tired now to copypaste them and do the write-up.

newcomer

Learned
On quick battle tough is... easy once you get some cities; just spam military district & you get a horde of infantry, your only job is to make sure all of them participate all-out in the fight & capture enemy territory as quickly as possible (then spam military district again). I can even break the population limit until ~450 thanks to the free infantry from the district, the next thing to do is simply steamroll the enemy. It's even easier if you have at least a friend to cover you while you build enough force to capture a few enemy cities

Monocause

Arcane
I thought about it some and I've decided against making this a proper LP at all. My reasoning behind it is I'm probably too lazy to pull this through, especially since RTS games don't work as good LPing material; therefore I'll just post some screenshots, introduce units and game concepts and abandon it at some point. Hope it'll get enough folks interested.

One more thing that stops me from making this a proper LP is that if I were to play the game on normal I'd get bored quick, and when I play it on Tough I can't really make any polls about the next course of action or the upgrades; it's too easy to get screwed by a wrong decision this early in the campaign.

Mission 1: My brother Petruzzo is dead and I'm voiced by a douche

Not much to tell about the first mission. Here you learn basic unit control and get some story exposition. This is what you need to know about the story: Giacomo, the protagonist and inventor of Miana (a smaller Vinci city-state), was travelling with his brother Petruzzo, lord of Miana. Accompanying them was their friend and bodyguard General Carlini. They set out to check out some mine in Vernazza where the miners reportedly have found a strange mineral or artifact that made them sick. Along the way there's a cutscene in which it is shown that the Doge of Venucci is present at the mine, receives a report about Miana's forces approaching and uses the artifact found in the mines to cause a rockfall. Giacomo barely survives while Petruzzo is crushed under the rocks. Naturally, Giacomo is keen on revenge so he intends to assault the Doge near the mine. The fact that Giacomo decides to try and intercept the Doge despite being extremely outnumbered may hint you why I'm not doing much storyfagging in this LP.

The mission starts with Giacomo, Carlini and three Musketeer units fighting off an assault from Doge's conscripts. Then you just follow a path, pick off some enemy units along the way, cross a bridge, destroy the remainder of Doge's forces (he himself, of course, escapes when you're about halfway through the map). One thing of note is that while this is clearly a tutorial mission if you play the game on Tough it is completely possible to fuck this up. That's how tough this game is on Tough - you can fail the tutorial.

legends2012-07-1517-28-44-94.jpg

This is the start of the mission. Like I said, it's Giacomo, Carlini and three Imp. Musketeers versus a small variety of Doge's forces.

legends2012-07-1517-30-14-74.jpg

This pic show s Giacomo's mug. Notice the 'powers' tab to the left of the portrait. Giacomo is a special hero with which you'll start every single mission of the campaign. I'll explain what it means later.

legends2012-07-1517-30-18-84.jpg

This pic shows the portrait of the Imperial Musketeers. These are trainable at the barracks, a basic Vinci training structure. They're a cheap and versatile ranged unit; start out sucky but get pretty awesome when you upgrade them. The buttons under the powers tab allow you to switch their formation. The green one is the standard one, the red one is called "volley fire" in which the musketeers turn immobile, form a cramped line and shoot others to oblivion; under volley fire their defense is prohibitively lessened but their damage output increases considerably. As you upgrade the musketeers over the course of the Vinci campaign (first to Fusiliers, then to Grenadiers) they gain new formations, and if you micro well you're going to use these often.

legends2012-07-1517-38-01-82.jpg

This is almost the end of the first mission. You can see the Clockwork Men here. Also trainable from the barracks. No ranged attack but pretty powerful in melee. You're going to see them a lot because one of the Vinci research lab upgrades, the Timonium Smelter (I'll show it later), mass-produces them free of charge.

In the next update (coming today) I'll get to the meat of the game: cities, campaign map, hero upgrades etc.

EDIT: Does anyone know how to change thread name now? Used to be that you could just edit the first post, but I tried that and thread name isn't there.

Monocause

Arcane
Mission 2: Padonia's Folly (Otherwise known as: Nailin' Alin for the first time)

Obligatory failed attempt at juvenile humour done, let's continue with the LP.

legends2012-07-1522-13-20-78.jpg

After beating up the Doge's forces we get out first look at the map of the Vinci part of the campaign. As you can see, there's lot's to conquer. As you can also see, there's four buttons in the bottom right corner of the screen. The first three will be explained in further updates, for the time being let's focus on the fourth one.

legends2012-07-1522-13-29-28.jpg

The fourth button allows us to upgrade our heroes via points we earned during the missions - these are awarded for completing main objectives and some bonus ones as well. If there's a bonus objective which grants Character Points you really want to do it. Current screen shows Giacomo's special abilities; pretty much all of them are cool; the research bonus at the start of each mission is extra cool which means you want Giacomo's level to be as high as possible ASAP. Active abilities explained: the first one is Augmentation, which heals units in a certain radius and increases their movement and attack speed. The second one is Sonic Boom, which deals limited damage in a radius, but, what's more important, it stuns small and medium units. Very handy ability. The last one is a bit meh in the campaign, though it has its uses - it creates clockwork demolition men which explode near the target, dealing 150 damage each. It sounds better than it actually works.

legends2012-07-1522-13-34-02.jpg

This is Carlini's screen. He's a decent assault hero, though there are better choices later on. His first ability, Snipe, deals 300/350/400 dam to a single unit. Second one is Turret, and places (duh!) a Turret which doesn't deal much damage and goes down fairly quickly. The last one, Scope, upgrades his attack damage and range. I won't be spending much CP on Carlini, he's a BRO but in this game it's mostly hoes before bros.

legends2012-07-1522-14-35-68.jpg

We start the next mission. Our task: regain Giacomo's walker (basically a big mech which shoots grenades and which Giacomo will use till the end of the game) and destroy the Alin hero Marwan, who - for some reason which starts to make sense as the story unfolds - decided to stir up shit in the region.

legends2012-07-1522-15-03-36.jpg

In this shot you can see the research panel. There are four items to research, each with four levels which have an increasing research point cost. Basically each of them offers a significant boost and that's why Giacomo's passive research bonus is so awesome. Research costs in research points go as follows: 1/2/4/7. To get level 3 research you need a large city, great one for level 4. Going from top to bottom:

POLITICS expands your borders (set by cities, fortresses and neutral sites you acquired), creates an increasingly powerful attrition zone (meaning enemy troops entering your borders take constant damage unless they have a supply unit accompanying them), reduces the cost for purchasing neutral sites and helps you storm enemy cities and sites (storming means you can sacrifice your troops' health to gain control of a city/site before you drop its health to zero)

PROSPERITY gives you a +10/20/40/80 wealth income and makes your troops heal when inside your borders and stationary; the higher your level the faster they heal.

SCAVENGING gives you some wealth whenever you kill enemy units and gives you a refund when you lose your own units and buildings. This tech can be very useful or completely useless depending on the mission and your playstyle.

MINING gives you a 10/20/40/80 timonium (mineral) income and increases the damage and radius of the Vinci special power, industrial devastation.

Early game mining and prosperity are extremely important as your income is low and you desperately need resources. You also need to invest in politics relatively early to establish respectable borders and make assaults more costly and difficult. In the campaign I usually try to get 2POL/2PRO/2MIN as fast as possible and tailor the rest to the situation and my strategy.

Another thing to explain here is that in RoN games income works differently than in most RTS games. While in WC/SC/AoE games you have civs harvesting resources and bringing them to your base, in RoN games each harvesting unit grants a boost to your Resource Per Minute rate. For instance, a miner working on a Timonium patch without a mine gives you an income of 10 timonium per minute. With 6 miners your Timonium reserve is going to increase by 1 unit per second.

legends2012-07-1522-15-08-93.jpg

Here you can see your first city in the campaign. Building up your cities is extremely important. What are our options? There are four district types you can build, and you can only add districts close to other districts, meaning that sometimes you have to carefully position each one unless you get stuck and your city is nerfed. From left to right:

MILITARY districts increase your pop limit, provide you a free musketeer unit per city level and serve as stationary defense; the whole district is basically a huge mortar. Don't count on it single-handedly defending against the enemy army though. It's helpful but kinda weak.

INDUSTRIAL districts grant you prototype points (explained in the next update) and increase your building and training speed. When your city is small it speeds up each by 1%, when it's large it's 4% and 7% when great. Better not forget about these unless you want to be outproduced by your enemy.

TRADE districts increase your economy cap and allow for more caravans (units built at the capital which travel between cities and sites generating wealth) to be built. Arguably the most important district in the early game. Whenever you build anything that provides you resources you need to remember to have enough of a cap to accomodate for the increase, otherwise it's time and resources wasted there.

PALACE districts can be built once for every other three districts built. The first turns your city Large, the second makes it Great. You need a Large or Great city to construct more advanced buildings and units and to conduct advanced research, so this is very important.

Another thing to make note of here: in the RoN games there's a concept called the ramp-up cost. It means that every next unit or building you create is more expensive than the previous one. This applies to cities, so the first district you add will cost 50 TIM, the next one 75, the third one 100 etc, etc. Palace districts are exceptions since they cost 250 TIM to turn into a large city and 500 TIM for a great one. The consequence of this is you're prompted to build balanced armies and spread the development between your cities instead of just churning out one unit type or building one huge megalopolis. I really like that concept.

legends2012-07-1522-15-13-96.jpg

Here's what we can build inside your borders independent of the city at the moment:

MINE: you place it near a timonium patch and it increases the miner's output and allows you to train more miners. You can send miners to a patch without a mine near it, but it will be inefficient. Needless to say, important.

DEFENSE TOWER: Basic defensive structure, fairly cheap. Slow shooting, strong when clumped together. Useful against air units.

RESEARCH LAB: Each one built provides you 2 research points. You can then convert it to several special unique (as in, you can only build one per map) buildings which are all pretty useful and grant you more RP. I'll explain it more later.

BARRACKS: Trains musketeers and clockwork units. Nuff said.

STEAM FORTRESS: Strong defensive structure that expands borders and trains artillery and heavy mech units. It's drawback is that it's notoriously expensive: the first one costs 225 TIM; each next one costs 150 TIM more.

More structures unlock later in the campaign.

legends2012-07-1522-15-26-64.jpg

This is an Inn, a neutral site. The concept is that maps are littered with these, and controlling each grants you a unique benefits. Each race has different ways of controlling these sites; the Vinci can either send caravans to it and wait until they join (can take long but is free and gives you free units) or the price drops enough (each caravan visit lowers the price you need to pay to acquire it) and purcahse it. You can also assault it, but you will probably take losses and won't gain any free units this way. Assaulting also increases the purchase cost of every other neutral site on the map, meaning you'll need more caravan visits and more money to acquire them. Best not to assault unless you really need a site or there's a risk that the enemy will snatch it before you do.

legends2012-07-1522-16-47-42.jpg

Some Dark Alin units assaulting our base. Nothing Giacomo and his bro Carlini can't handle.

legends2012-07-1522-19-04-19.jpg

Here you can see what options do you get with a research lab. Converting a lab to a project is irreversible and comes at a resource cost. Like I said, only one of each can be built per game:

TELESCOPE: gives you 1 RP and provides you LOS in a straight, fairly thin line all through the map in the direction you'll point it.

BOREHOLE: gives 2 RP and you can configure it to either increase your timonium income or your wealth income. You can also upgrade it to give even more income. Good choice for early game.

CALCULATOR: 3 RP and allows you to trade TIM for wealth and vice versa, at a cost.

TIMONIUM SMELTER: 5 RP and constantly produces free Clockwork Men, free of charge. The more of these you have on the field, the longer it will take for the smelter to churn next one out. Still, it's a good idea to build one smelter pretty much in every map you have the option to.

NULLIFIER: 7 RP and allows you to block all special powers and spells on the map for a limited time. Not very useful in the campaign as Vinci aren't as special power-reliant as the Alin or the Cuotl. Expensive.

BUNKER FORT: 7 RP and provides the single best Vinci defensive structure in the game. Expands borders and is a bitch to take down. Think carefully where you'll place it.

legends2012-07-1522-21-36-69.jpg

A steam fortress placed at a chokepoint. It's strong unless the enemy brings artillery, and in this mission the enemy has no artillery, meaning that I could probably leave the game running for 20 minutes and this thing would still be standing after I got back.

legends2012-07-1522-27-00-25.jpg

Assaulting the place where Giacomo's walker rests encased in weird crystals. Notice the new unit, the steam cannon, shooting at the Alin defensive structure. These are expensive and slow but are extremely useful against buildings; also useful against larger units.

legends2012-07-1522-27-35-91.jpg

And here we regain control of the Walker. From now on Giacomo's a real badass, shootan' grenades with his mech and doesn't afraid of anything.

legends2012-07-1522-39-12-34.jpg

Final assault on Marwan. Notice the Flying unit there: when we regained the walker another hero joined us. It's Venza, and she isn't that good.

legends2012-07-1522-40-13-52.jpg

Venza's skills. LOOT brings us wealth for every point of damage dealt. ENHANCED FLYER increases Venza's speed and damage. GUN DRONES is a skill that makes Venza lauch several drones that shoot everything in range for a limited time until they fall to the ground. I don't like Venza much since we'll get another flying hero in the next mission which is plainly better.

This is it for today. Following updates are going to be shorter since I won't have that much explaining to do.

newcomer: in early campaign this won't work as the enemy starts with significantly stronger forces against which your spawned musketeers (especially since they're not upgraded) won't stand a chance.

dextermorgan

Arcane
EDIT: Does anyone know how to change thread name now? Used to be that you could just edit the first post, but I tried that and thread name isn't there.

You'll have to bug JarlFrank to do it for you. Only mods and admins can change thread names now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom