Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play Fallout

FeelTheRads

Arcane
FUCk yoU

No, actually an update should come somewhat soon. I have some free time again so I might as well waste it, eh?

Is this a good place to say "Hi", and also I kinda liked this game, if only for it was sorta like baulder gate allience but with guns? Playd it with a friend until we hit some place with radioactive goe all over the place and had tons of fun. Do go on with this play and show more of it man!
Im drunk... Whatever... MOAARRRHH!!!!111!1!Q!

ElectricOtter

some guy said:
Is this a good place to say "Hi", and also I kinda liked this game, if only for it was sorta like baulder gate allience but with guns? Playd it with a friend until we hit some place with radioactive goe all over the place and had tons of fun. Do go on with this play and show more of it man!
Im drunk... Whatever... MOAARRRHH!!!!111!1!Q!
get out

Itachou

Novice
I'm a big fan of Fallout for 14 long years (1996) and I personally think that this game is better than Fallout 3.

I would also like to clarify some unobvious things to see in the first part:

- The quest " Find Medical Supplies ", that the goal is find the medical supplies in Carbon Warehouse and give to Vidya can resolve this in a different way by giving the supplies to Jesse, for 50 caps.

- The dog that can be obtained by a perk he called " Dogmeat " like in Fallout 1, Fallout 2 and Fallout 3, it says in the video game manual.

- The Wasteland Stranger is the Vault Dweller. The champion of the Los Gladiator Pit is not the Vault Dweller and is someone different, just that its in-game model is very similar to the Vault Dweller.

- There is a quest name " Rescue Innocents " which consciter to save all the citizens of Carbon not in warehouse (there are 37). Once this is complete and we have access to the warehouse, this ends the quest by talking to the Vault Dweller. If we managed to save them all, the Vault Dweller offers his personal Red Ryder BB Gun. This Red Ryder BB gun absorbs and propels the surrounding air, forming a ball of air, instead of using ammunition. But since air is hard to control, its damage varies randomly from very low to very powerful (1 - 101).

- The screenshots taken is quite ugly and doesn't reflect the graphic quality of the game, which is really good for a game released in 2004.

- Harold and Rhombus also appear in the game. Harold was at the entrance to Los and offer a quest and some dialogues. Rhombus, High Elder now, is the leader of the Brotherhood of Steel expedition in Texas, against the advice of the elders council, for destroyed the Attis Super Mutant faction. At the time of the game, it is located in Los and was the leader of the group of Paladin specially sent after discovering the true purpose of this faction and it's future position, given that the city of Los has something that the Attis Super Mutant need.

- Nadia and the unlockable character Patty can't use Big Gun and Heavy energy weapons, they don't have enough strength, that's why you could not use the Incendiary Mortar, only male characters has the strength required. Otherwise, only these two characters and the ghoul Cain have enough agility to use the duo weapons, like Dual Desert Eagles. All this is said in the video game manual.

Itachou

Novice
Well, did you know that informations about a game out before its release ? Many news and reportage with gameplay video have was published in 1996 (like this = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kd9SiAIhss) such that Fallout that would use the GURPS system before losing the rights and duty created his own system, named SPECIAL.

The demo of Fallout 1 was released early 1997 and distributed free in game magazine (for me, being French, was the magazine Joystick) and the game was released in September 30th, 1997.

I was already a fan of Fallout before and after playing the Fallout 1 demo, that was so different from what we had at the time, especially since I was in my Mad Max era, that I was a fan before knowing Fallout and a fan of Wasteland, the spiritual ancestor of Fallout also created by Interplay.

Infantryman

Scholar
Well, I didn't know anything about fallout before its release. It's probably because I was 7 years old at that time and started reading gaming magazines in late 1997. But yeah, it shouldn't be surprising you were fan of the game before it's release. I mean in '96 or '97 the game seemed insanely awesome. Probably the best graphics at that time, and this marvellous design combined with juicy sounds.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
It doesn't look too bad. Obviously it is undeserving of the Fallout name but possibly better than a lot of shit these days.
Was this developed in-house at Interplay? Who is in the credits?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Who is in the credits?

Your mum.

P.S. Since I sold my PS2 will continue/do again when/if ever this game is fully supported in PCSX2. At the moment using hardware acceleration you can only see half of the screen (same problem with all the other junk using this engine) and in software it's way too fucking slow even on a 2600K.

pippin

so we had dark alliance with guns and then oblivion with guns. oh the hu-manatee.
i'd still play it, just for completionism though.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Well, well! What do we have here?

Call it mental disability, call it brain tumor, call it whatever you want, but I’m continuing this.

And while I couldn’t really continue the old game since I sold my PS2 along with the memory cards with the saves on them I had to start over. Yeah, it’s brain tumor.

After all, it turns out I can actually play it in PCSX2 in software mode. I found some settings that make most of the game run at full speed. I knew that spending more than $300 on a CPU will pay off one day and if this isn’t it, then I don’t know what is. It does slow down considerably in two areas, however, and those are the boss fights with the Mayor and the Raider Matron. I’m not sure why, must be the extra AI used for bosses. In fact I’m pretty sure the Mayor uses an unchained version of Radiant AI.

So I played and I cursed and I played and I screamed and I punched the keyboard and I got to where I was last time.

Now, it’s been a long time since I started this LP so I think we need a quick recap. The game is also like four years older now and like every good cash-grab, the older it gets the shittier it becomes so hold on tight.

Well, I had to go through it again, but I don’t want to force it on you too, so I’ll put it in spoiler tags. Only open if you feel sorry for me.
It all started with the simple mission of finding some fellow paladins in a town named Carbon. Upon reaching the town I find out that the paladins are nowhere to be found and the raiders and hot Matron are terrorizing the poor honest people living there.

matron.jpg

Talking with these people I found out that raiders are not their only problem they also have a warehouse full of Radscorpions which have a boss.

068.jpg

No slowdowns here because no AI, so you can see I was not joking.

Killing all the Radscorpions gets the Mayor to tell me where I can find my paladin bros and he directs me to a hole.

080.jpg

I go in the hole and kill about a billion raiders only to find out at the end that the fucking Mayor was working for them.

093.jpg

New quest, huh?

So I kill him and get up back to the city which is again under terror.

107.jpg

Everybody is holed up in the warehouse and they wouldn’t let me in unless I kill the raiders.

114.jpg

So I kill another trillion raiders...

124.jpg

I get in, but they only send me to kill even more raiders!

134.jpg

So I kill even more raiders!

Then I find the Matron who’s doing some shady business with the mutants.

017pow.jpg

And I got to talk to her and found out she has facial expressions.

Here she looks me in the eyes:
Ou7sXVw.jpg

Here she’s checking out my boobs:
XNm4Wvr.jpg

She tells me the paladins were headed for some ghoul city and then I kill her and get back to the city where everyone is happy once again and I get directions to the ghoul city from Wasteland Stranger.

So I go there to find out ghouls are assholes:
030n.jpg

But not all of them:
033zk.jpg

And this where we left off! What will happen next? For four years I kept asking myself this and I’m sure all of you as well and it’s time to find out!

Not only that, but I also have a little surprise in store for you. You know today there’s a common belief that Bethesda are the creators of the Fallout franchise. While it’s true that they took the formula and perfected it with Fallout 3 the mastermind behind Fallout was actually someone who, unfortunately, history often fails to mention: Mr. Chuck Cuevas.

And I have him with me right now to pick his brain and provide commentary on the many interesting design choices of this game.

yQLZunw.png
- Hello, Mr. Cuevas! It's nice to have you here! How are you today?
DFbxiL5.jpg
- Que?
rm2ShdL.png
- Alrighty then!

So let’s see about those friendly ghouls, shall we? Three steps away from where I start is the first one:

3N3aHKH.jpg

This should be good!

EEQekGS.jpg

Good old Harold, hilarious as always! But wait...
:what:

What in the fuck? What’s with the tiny body and huge arm? Who the fuck modeled this shit?

QH6Gv8d.png
- Chuck, care to explain this?
DFbxiL5.jpg
- ROFL

Well, better than Fallout 3, I guess.

I ask Harold about the paladins, but he doesn’t know much, just that there were some around here some time ago.

But I spot a potential quest:

kKtizQk.jpg

Yeah, it’s a... quest...

fScQC6Z.jpg

dnXh2Ss.jpg

I have no choice but to accept it seems, so I do and leave Harold for now. He warns me to be careful about the crazy ghouls. I’m more concerned about crazy Mexicans, though.

Another three steps away I find the next friendly one.

nJ4gGOI.jpg

Well, somewhat friendly. At least he doesn’t shoot. Nothing to ask him, I can just trade so I buy some ammo and stimpacks. He has some metal armor, but it’s too expensive and I suspect I’ll find some soon enough anyway.

And that’s everything in this area so I move on.

3vp8pDn.jpg

Apparently those were the only friendly ghouls because as soon as I go to the next area every one of them is fucking pissed off. I’m not sure how many I killed because they don’t have a counter like the raiders or the radscorpions but I figure it’s around a few billion.

This area once again shows the surrealist sensibilities of the developers.

wdstMqn.jpg

7c1itzm.jpg

QH6Gv8d.png
- What the fuck, Chuck? What’s with the blackness? Where are the graphics?
DFbxiL5.jpg
- You see it’s very deep because bombs...
QH6Gv8d.png
- Ah, shut the fuck up, Chuck.

But at least besides shooting ghouls I get to jump a lot. And I mean A LOT.
Surprisingly I managed not to fall, not even once. Which is something considering the camera is worse than NWN2 (no, it’s not) and it’s a pain to position it to see what the fuck you’re doing.

The dog on the other hand, god bless his soul died so many times. One of the save points was near a hole and he kept falling and respawning forever which was sort of amusing for a while.

Sometimes he does wondrous things, though, like here:
CQik2Ng.jpg

He ran all the way on that pipe to kill a ghoul who was there, fuck knows why, and he did it. But as soon as he killed the ghoul he turned around and fell.

And I think I know the inspiration for this area:
1199.full.jpg

Often I get shot at while on those pipes which is lovely:
Wqbjsf9.jpg

DFbxiL5.jpg
- ROFLCOPTER
lck079M.png
- Godammit, you’re such a cocksucker, Chuck!

Soon enough I pick up the Metal Armor
b2XY29D.jpg

Of which I have two now. Well, looks like I didn’t notice when I picked the first one.

Oh yeah, that is Nadia wearing the metal armor and some other pieces from “riot” armor, like pants and helmet. Notice the advanced character graphics which were only recently equaled by Wasteland 2.

Then I move on to the next area. Less jumping and more ghouls here.
But it would have been boring to have the same ghouls over and over again so this time there are ghouls that shoot radiation from their hands too.
Wait what?
dnXh2Ss.jpg

Want to know how they look like?
eK039r1.jpg

Like a jumbled mess of polygons, misery, complete lack of talent and disregard for any decency.
In other words:
dnXh2Ss.jpg

Getting to another area I get a little cutscene:
yZzsAPE.jpg

q1xtWp7.jpg

Ghoul Mercenary 1: Talkin’?!? What are they talkin’ about? Huh?!?
Ghoul Mercenary 2: Would you take it easy, man! You’re trippin’!

I know someone was trippin’ alright!

Ghoul Mercenary 2: Someone’s comin’ down from the bridge.
Ghoul Mercenary 1: Hope it’s that dork, G-G-Giese! Let’s bust his head!

What in the fuck? Can someone explain to me the dialogs in this game?

rm2ShdL.png
- Chuck?
DFbxiL5.jpg
- No hablo espanol lol
rm2ShdL.png

I still appreciate the inventive names they keep coming up with, though.

Well, these two go away and it’s back to fighting.

A bit later in some crate I found a Laser Pistol:
nGojKgA.jpg

It looks like a dildo with a handle. Convenient, I guess.

I didn’t want to use it because I didn’t have too much ammo, but pretty much as soon as I got it, I started finding ghouls that have it too.

0riRZnc.jpg

I really tried capturing the laser beam, but it’s laser so it’s very fast and I couldn’t. Just believe me, it’s a laser and it’s blue and it does pew-pew and it leaves some blue shit for a while on the target it hits. I’m not sure if it slows you down a little or it’s that blue shit that’s slowing down the computer, who knows, who cares.

It’s pretty efficient against the ghouls using lasers themselves, but not very efficient against the radiation shooting ghouls. That’s just how it is and you should know it.

Among the other things I found in crates were some of Harold’s body parts
RyUXpGR.jpg

Why were they in crates, I don’t know. And what else was he missing? A toe? Didn’t find that yet. Will keep looking furiously.

You can also see Nadia holding the dildo. It's a dildo. Come on.

There was some junk in another crate too
bvU1t8G.jpg

This is also a quest item, and I guess another reference?

And that is all for today. I really wish there was more to show, but it was mostly shoot, shoot and shoot and more shooting is coming.
Let’s hope it’s not another Lionheart where the only good stuff is at the beginning. Let’s hope we get to see more of Chuck’s genius.

I’ll just leave you with a bonus section:

When you finish the first chapter or whatever it is (as in when you get to the ghoul city) you get a message that a new character has been unlocked. Last time I didn’t check. Now I did.

mlUqkAk.jpg

OMGF PATTY! Why couldn’t I get her from the start? She’s much hotter than Nadia.
But hmm, she’s apparently called Patty Bush...
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Patty_Bush

Well, I’m really not into bushes, but hey look at this concept art:
latest

latest

FUCK YEAH PATTY LET US EXPLORE SOME BUSHES TOGETHER! :bounce:

And finally, for those interested in the intricate RPG mechanics of this game
Rojzpue.jpg

Yeah, there was some guy who kept telling me to get Sadist last time. So I did. You see what it does? Heals 5 HP for each kill. Fucking useful in a game with health regeneration and where my total health is like 400. Thank you very much, faggot.

Desert Soldier increases critical change with "conventional" weapons and Future Woman does the same with energy weapons. Energy Charge allows you to overcharge energy weapons, whatever the fuck that does. I'm not yet level 12 so I don't know.

But maybe I'll get into more details about the skills another time.

See you next time and remember, by reading this LP you’re helping the creation of the Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance LP.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Dem inventory and skill looks like BG Dark Alliance, except Dork Alis was better despite being different game.

Last edited:

Absalom

OP is taking the prisoner of ice approach to LP'ing I see :smug:

lol and you thought turning Harold into the font of a magic cult in FO3 was character assassination :troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom