Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Let's Play Fallout 4: your mom is collateral damage

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

RK47

Patron
Next year maybe? I'm pretty bored so far.

RK47

Patron
That bad huh?TBH, I think they mutated this game into a hunting/gathering/crafting simulator.
It's pretty horrifying when I realized they gave you over 400 crafting recipes at the start and expect you to have fun with it.
Hey, I can deal with getting bigger guns and power armor, slaughtering supermutants etc, but since when Fallout is about crafting tables and chairs?
This series has mutated beyond recognition folks, and I'm afraid I can't show you everything because I have zero motivation to improve Skyhold the Sanctuary.

More than 10 years ago, people used to ask in mainstream forums: 'Where is Casius Cossades?'
2015 today they are more inclined to ask 'Where do I get Circuity for my defensive turrets?'

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
Well, shiieeet, you started it, can't go back now :bunkertime:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
More than 10 years ago, people used to ask in mainstream forums: 'Where is Casius Cossades?'
2015 today they are more inclined to ask 'Where do I get Circuity for my defensive turrets?'

And in 2016 they'll be asking for rubber to craft the horse dildos in their loverslab mods!

:happytrollboy:

Black

Arcane
RK, why is your baby brown when both you and your waifu are white?

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What? It doesn't give you a quest compass?

Dyskolos

Cipher
The moment where you get out of cryo seems the ultimate vision of bethesda storytelling. You've seen your wife shot and child stolen, wake up, and can wander the chamber for as long as you want. Only when you open her casket do you get the retarded feigned urgency with even worse voice acting of 'come on. oh god' and the macguffin vengeance quest.

lightbane

Arcane
Well, it is a certain improvement compared with FO3, but it's still the same "Bethesda experience". Also, streets are still littered with ammo, medical supplies and grenades. :lol:

RK47

Patron
What? It doesn't give you a quest compass?

Thing is, those are crafting materials and therefore deserve no quest markers. Bethesda expects you to walk around and find scrap X to craft.

pippin

For fuck's sake, look at that thumbnail. The gun takes half of the screen. People used to talk about tank controls, but it won't be long until you are an actual tank, and your screen only shows one iron sight and nothing else.

Black

Arcane
Whoaaa, dude, that grandma is totally like, tripping bowels and she can see the past, the present and the future thanks to the DRUGS, man (hello Dune). That's so dope and Fallout!
By the way, suffering the game is enough, but do you mind turning the 50s radio stations off? They don't fit at all.

RK47

Patron
Can't you just shoot the whiny npcs, or are they unkillable again?
Unkillable to preserve the integrity of the main quest line.

Before I go to bed

You won't know what works and what doesn't, what the useful stats are and what a system considers to be "dump stats" and what character builds and play styles you like until long after you have lost the ability to course correct the mistakes you made very early in the campaign or even during character creation.

Novice players won't know that strength and luck are both pretty useless stats in Fallout - even in the revamped system of FO 4 or that you should have decent agility and perception for ranged combat.

Which leads to you sticking to a build you realized doesn't work for you or worse doesn't work within the confines of the game world, diminishing the enjoyment considerably, or you throw away hours or days of in game progress thanks to re-rolling. Bethesda Fallout never did the decent thing of at least offering you prebuilt characters to make sure that novice players had at least a chance to not end up with a build that is bad (Fallout 1 and 2 had those).

The souls series at least has low stat requirements for most weapons and basic spells so that you can't screw yourself out of using a weapon you realize you like - the tool you use most of the time - and is in general much less relying on character stats than other games. Even in the souls series you can screw yourself though if you don't pick up on what attributes matter the most early on. The impact is just lessened because you can farm souls and bad stats can be offset by player skil. Which is not always the case with other CRPG's especially if they use the RPG mechanics to establish game outcomes in engine - like Fallout.

Devs know this too and so have come up with two kinds of crutches. The re-roll which allows you to completely reset your character stats and let's you redistribute all points. Or the "master of everything" setup where the leveling curve is designed in such a way that you will end up with max values in all skills and attributes eventually if you grind it out long enough. The way Fallout 3 did it where you could theoretically end up with 10 in each S.P.E.C.I.A.L. stat.

It's a role playing game Jeff, not a min maxing game. Who cares if you don't have the knowledge to min max from the get go. It's a game, explore it and have fun. Explore the mechanics too.

When the number trailing the name of the game is '4' you can tell people to fuck off if they don't understand the systems.

The interface inconsistency that's driving me batshit is weapon modding. Specifically, to back out of a sub menu, it's TAB. So when you're done modding, it's TAB, TAB, TAB, "are you sure you want to leave crafting? press ENTER to leave, TAB to stay." Would it have been that hard to let me hit TAB one more time to leave crafting?

Yes, it's all irrelevant stuff in the face of a great game. Also, it's all things that are easy to work around or simply will go away in a few hours as soon as your muscle memory gets used to it. They are silly and moronic, whoever designed them is an imbecile and whoever approved them is a muppet, but who the hell cares dammit.

:lol:

Last edited:

Lindblum

Augur
Ah yes a day one LP, looking forward to 100+ videos.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom