Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's play Disciples of Steel

kofeur

Liturgist
Fire Dungeon

Finally had the chance to put out this update!

So here is the fabled fire dungeon!

1h1eu.jpg

That's indeed the right place

jdiVB.jpg

er2iZ.jpg

Our first random encounter, came quite quickly!

FQ1ct.jpg

And our first set encounter

U6zKM.jpg

KHe66.jpg

And another random encounter, can't make more than a few steps before being attacked

r2wvH.jpg

Almost all the enemies feel superior here

QbW5C.jpg

A different encounter, frost giants and their minions

ySAIr.jpg

That might explain why this place stinks

sDRmW.jpg

Or maybe that's the reason

FXb78.jpg

hsmmb.jpg

And now, it's the turn of the earth elementals, this place does exude very strong magic...

xPto6.jpg

More trolls

0lbqL.jpg

CJ1Kw.jpg

And this time water elementals...

jYgJy.jpg

...who also move with an air of superiority. Never expected elementals to have an ego... at least not in this setting

MHaMr.jpg

This place is indeed uncomfortably hot

ZySo5.jpg

Ettins

2Tm7V.jpg

Wind elementals, now we've seen them all

FDHwf.jpg

After all these encounters, we find a locked door

gYJdX.jpg

Or rather a series of locked doors, I guess these are prison cells

ED5AT.jpg

VwfnE.jpg

This last door wasn't locked

0fNL7.jpg

This seems indeed like a prison area

Ym6sw.jpg

Confirmed

ImF53.jpg

The jailor is a thunder giant?!

FTtpk.jpg

He was keeping something

QfXAm.jpg

zS1rf.jpg

As expected

7kiZd.jpg

So let's check all these cells one by one

55B0v.jpg

And in one of the cells

ejnaF.jpg

SNVl9.jpg

That was my uncle! I will avenge him

In another cell

3anng.jpg

Our first secret door!

6e6eS.jpg

And another one right after

d57or.jpg

Close by

Iuuj3.jpg

sWDsU.jpg

Immediately followed by

di7Gz.jpg

7bORT.jpg

What did the captain have?

UFtq7.jpg

9CheC.jpg

XcDJv.jpg

Let's get back to the door

4bVrZ.jpg

65LU6.jpg

Nice pets

38Roz.jpg

Another secret door

zsFpd.jpg

And our first trap!

al6hc.jpg

Another secret door

4IYlh.jpg

That was just a side corridor

We find stairs leading down

HyzPL.jpg

JrGpc.jpg

And another set of stairs leading down close by

9bG3p.jpg

And while finishing exploring this level

RyLe1.jpg

Sz0TB.jpg

Destruction spell from the mage

5pYgk.jpg

Another set of stairs

WGG59.jpg

B3EO9.jpg

We decide to go for the first set of stairs

8XRye.jpg

We'll explore the rest on the next update!

kofeur

Liturgist
Going deeper

Luckily, I've advanced enough for another update :)

So this is the second level of the dungeon

7FLrm.jpg

The random encounters have a more... demonic quality to them it seems

abMeM.jpg

Exploring a bit around, we quickly find stairs going down again

LyssS.jpg

bgspi.jpg

Let's leave it for now and see if we have more stairs to look for

Going through a door, we find a trap

jUegs.jpg

One step forward, and another trap

SmEc6.jpg

And another one!

rcw14.jpg

The whole corridor was full of traps one after every single step

pFRse.jpg

Interesting

cVoYA.jpg

Xr4F7.jpg

It was indeed my stepfather and not my uncle. Anyway we did find his message

vI2Gp.jpg

ptAQ0.jpg

Let's see what that weapon is!

XZrN6.jpg

MeDJ1.jpg

200 damage factor... that's the highest I've seen!

nCcA8.jpg

Let's compare it's to hit ratio to that of the backstabbing dagger

9cYRD.jpg

Much better

WkPPK.jpg

This weapon very good, I would rate it at the same level as the death knight's sly sword. The sly sword has only 75 in damage factor but is still more accurate by a big margin

We're getting close

8mqMs.jpg

These levels are huge

ypVVG.jpg

Fire giants

X1x1z.jpg

9PG7P.jpg

And close by

OMEix.jpg

yQwrL.jpg

First time I see this monster

He's berserk and not feeling superior...

DNhrI.jpg

Missing a picture, I went through a secret door to find this tunnel

ThKrO.jpg

B7KBI.jpg

Of course he would feel superior

0zeDe.jpg

He had nice equipment

DfJaX.jpg

So let's take that stair he was guarding... we find a door with a question

V3FYt.jpg

There is a secret door just next to that door

no5ES.jpg

so there is an alternative way for those who didn't find the cell

aMKOf.jpg

3 way door

b1141.jpg

We don't find much of interest around

NZx9l.jpg

Exploring further

NZx9l.jpg

We meet a general

a7clc.jpg

second door fully explored

X9NlU.jpg

And behind the third door

JyHzv.jpg

y4PbD.jpg

So this is where I am now. I explored fully this level, but didn't find Variz yet. Will be checking the other stairs.

kofeur

Liturgist
So here we are, finally had the chance to post these updates. I haven't had the chance to check every single wall for secret doors, as it increases the already very high rate of random encounter.

Whisper

Can you tell me if you found Variz around here?

kofeur

Liturgist
Variz

Finally found him, I had missed a secret door somewhere it seems

DiB92.jpg

Behind a door

pGMhT.jpg

UQ20a.jpg

I noticed that all enemy mages are berserk

uN1Wz.jpg

First let's kill off all 'normal' mages with my +25 elven arrows that I saved just for the last fight

5ITpz.jpg

Variz is unlucky enough to face my warrior wielding the sword of sharpness

qPCTE.jpg

Didn't last long

Ebdvk.jpg

At that stage, even the hell hounds were scared

tEOLS.jpg

We cleaned up all the remaining giants. I also found out that storm giants have spell casting abilties and can hide

0QRYO.jpg

We did a thorough job

2xGHR.jpg

WG6PH.jpg

22 platinum only? He probably spent everything on the upkeep of his massive army

h8F0F.jpg

He only had normal cloth...

eOxDi.jpg

Victory pic!

DjD8V.jpg

There is a 'you are victorious text' but it flashed too quickly for me to catch

So this is it! This is the end!

On a side note, this is where the secret door is:

mBPAQ.jpg

H3hkd.jpg

When I reloaded the game, the encounter didn't happen. So I had to exit dosbox and relaunch it to be able to replay the final fight. a 'Wrath of god' spell at level 5 will obliterate everybody.

After you finish the game you can still move around.

lightbane

Arcane
That's it? No over-the-top speech? No transformation into an horrible tranny/angelic/eldritch abomination? Truly these were different times. In any case, congrats. What about the other ending?

kofeur

Liturgist
Yep these were better times :)

No need for big theatrics, just get on with it and annihilate your enemy. I do miss those times...

I found out how to lead an army, but there is nothing to attack. I've already conquered all the cities by killing the reagent or finishing the quests. I could attack the cities that said they would support me, but I don't see the point. And I can't attack the final dungeon, I can only attack cities at the head of an army.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Nice! I missed the first "Unity" door and +40 two-hander. But i "won" last fight by wraith of god anyway.

What spells Variz cast in combat?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Good job on finally finishing this one :salute:

Bit disappointing that leading the army doesn't change much though. I expected it would let you get to the ending in a different way.

kofeur

Liturgist
Good job on finally finishing this one :salute:

Bit disappointing that leading the army doesn't change much though. I expected it would let you get to the ending in a different way.

Thanks!! Finally done with it. That was one of the games I wanted to finish a long time ago :)

Winning by strategy allows you to finish the game without going to the final dungeon ass far as I know. But leading an army allows you to attack only cities, I tried attacking the fire dungeon but it didn't work. I'll load an old save and try conquering the Rathadonian capital to see what happens.

Whisper

Variz had the spell that speeds all of his allies and a damage spell (I think it was ice storm) before I killed him.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Congrats on finishing the LP! I haven't yet read it to the end, still got some catching up to do, so I just want to say I really love the enemy design in this game.

I mean, just look at this mofo. :P

kofeur

Liturgist
Congrats on finishing the LP! I haven't yet read it to the end, still got some catching up to do, so I just want to say I really love the enemy design in this game.

I mean, just look at this mofo. :P

Thanks, it took about 7 months, but I finally managed to finish this game :)
It was one of the 'to complete' games I had in my list.

Some of the encounter pics are animated, and this one looks even better when you're playing the game!

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
What an adventure!

Oo

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,291589/

p.s. Nice game, only thing i wish you were a bit more clear with where to go to do quest (several caves and you need one of them) 2) you can fail quest (and game) by not taking some "body" on enemy if you kill him before taking quest.

But very good game, i wonder why so few talk about it? Its one of best CRPGs of old. Totall freedom in exploration, great character system.

Lykurgos

Novice
Oo
But very good game, i wonder why so few talk about it? Its one of best CRPGs of old. Totall freedom in exploration, great character system.

One reason in my opinion is that there is one bad review of it online, and that one bad review is pretty much the only review, and is replicated in lots of places, so it is the first thing you come across in any kind of casual or even moderately determined search (until this AAR anyway). It is the one starting with "This game can be most generously described as a `classical` RPG".

I'm probably not going to play it a 4th time, but it is easily the favorite of my early 90s era tactical RPGs. I've tried and cannot go back and play Gold Box games, but this I can.

MacHamish

Barely Literate
I did the alternate ending. In approximately February you get the first whisper, the He is coming one. A little later you get a message that Variz will attack in the summer. If you have gathered all the allies you can, and still have time to waste, go to a city, fill up on food and hibernate at a guild for 5 days (120 hours) at a time. If you failed one or more of the quest lines by not picking up an important body, you can assassinate all the regents and the king in all te cities in that land. assassinating the king will not automatically give you control of every city in the kingdom. Do not get troops until August, as they need to be paid, just keep sucking up the tax money, then buy all your troops at once. They game date will not progress past august 22, even if you keep sleeping. approximately a day after you leave town you will get a message from a rider that the fight has started, and a rollcall of allies sending troops. Variz has about 137 armies, but I believe that you are limited to 100, as that is how many i had exactly, which seems oddly coincidental. Archers are very useful in the fight itself, and as you can imagine with 237 units moving, takes quite a while. Variz seems to lose as soon as your army is bigger than his. I didnt see the final tally, but the round before i was at 88 to his 100 and then at the end of his turn he lost, and the nifty little Executioner scene pops up. I planned on posting that , but it seems I didnt get the screenshoit I thought I was getting :)

I planned on also trying a conquer everyone approach, to see if there is a third way to win, but im not sure I have the energy to bother.

Lykurgos

Novice
I planned on also trying a conquer everyone approach, to see if there is a third way to win, but im not sure I have the energy to bother.

I have begun a fourth play-through intending to win via conquest, albeit only of Rathadon rather than everyone. I am not aware and have never read of anyone having done this. The amount of platinum it will require to raise armies makes me wonder if it is even possible in practice instead of just theory, but I am giving it a go!

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I have begun a fourth play-through intending to win via conquest, albeit only of Rathadon rather than everyone. I am not aware and have never read of anyone having done this.
I think mondblut did it. He had problems with bugs in final dungeon so went for conquest instead.

Lowgun

Literate
Hey all, this is a blast from the past :)

Just restarted this game and loving it!

Anyone still check this thread?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Hey all, this is a blast from the past :)

Just restarted this game and loving it!

Anyone still check this thread?

I'll probably start playing this game soon.
Currently reading all I can about it and making notes, since the manual is so very lacking in detail.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
It seems there are only three sources of useful information about this game on the whole Internet: this thread, the release discussion on Abandonia and CRPG Addict's blog.
No FAQ or Walkthrough that I could find. With such a lacklustre manual this game is one of the few for which I would like to read a FAQ before playing it.
Would be nice to know the max possible stats for the various races, for example, and definite information on how skills like "Track" work.

Lowgun

Literate
What's the fun in that :) just wing it!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom