Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play Crusader Kings 2: I want to be a Basileus!

XenomorphII

Prophet
In CK1, the succession laws of the Byzantine Empire were sufficiently malleable to your interests that you could get yourself elected the next Emperor after Doukas Emperor kicks it. Is this not the case in CK2?
The Byzantine Empire is not elective at game start (and I have never seen it go that way). Besides I would rather be the Western Emperor.

If CK1 is any guide, if the AI is capable of managing to find his way to the battle at all, it will be a giant mess because of the effects of Siege-Stealing. If there isn't any siege-stealing anymore, then it will STILL be a giant mess if they start sieging anything you wanted.
Well first of all, in CK2 you cannot take territory if you are the defender in a war. Second, siege-stealing isn't a problem because you go to war over very specific claims, so your ally is fighting for your claims alone and cannot make a separate peace.

I think today's update will clarify this later point significantly (I am working on finishing it now).

XenomorphII

Prophet
Update 21-Herp Derp: How I Managed to Snatch Defeat from the Jaws of Victory

t5gxa.jpg

You BASTARD!

Looks like I'm about to get raped, and it won't be tasteful either.

I am going to wait a bit before raising my levies (they are kinda drained and two of my dumbfuck vassals are fighting each other in Sicily right now, weakening us further) and let the enemy come to me. After they take some of Tunis, I will then deploy my troops behind them and hopefully cut them off from any more troops and let them drain themselves on sieges.

fjU45.jpg

REBELS!!!

They may actually be good for me, as long as the enemy heads there and has to fight them instead of me.

U6sgz.jpg

More rebels! These I will have to deal with. I hire some mercs and use them to put down both groups, as the enemy still isn't coming for me.

As my mercs move out...

nWE8j.jpg

An enemy army arrives. It is significantly (like about 10k or so) smaller then what I expected. If this war goes well enough I may counter-attack them for their territories along mine, and if I win there... well they will be fucked.

q3nNW.jpg

FINALLY! I have been hoping for this for awhile. Now I no longer have revolt risk in Napoli. Yay!

k2x0w.jpg

Damn rebels!

Alrighty let's do this. And stuffies...

9dUaM.jpg

Hire more mercs (my first band has been nearly wiped out by rebels) and raise our levies...

9Oxzn.jpg

We are nearly 12k strong. I will smash their puny army.

kzMOk.jpg

There is the rest of their army. We are going to fuck them up. (I hope)

As everyone is coming together...

KpIMD.jpg

One of my vassals takes the ducal title for Sicily from the Muslims. Good for him, glad I didn't spend the money on it. Also I hire more mercs.

KpIMD.jpg

And our rallied army:

e7dUg.jpg

We will pick the mercs up and Napoli then head for Tunis to smite some heathens.

Just as the army arrives...

auZ46.jpg

A siege is lost to the smaller enemy army.

The Great Battle of Bizerte (and rebels pop up in Sicily):

UbXHT.jpg

o6doA.jpg

o6doA.jpg

nGyem.jpg

yerCG.jpg

GDqCx.jpg

YES!! We lost nearly a third of our troops, but they lost lots more! Suck it!

I pursue the enemy remains to wipe them out.

But in the process...

xnwZW.jpg

DwVKU.jpg

hy56O.jpg

I take a prisoner, more rebels pop up, and another enemy army shows up. I head back into Tunis in light of this to destroy the enemy there.

0wM8e.jpg

GxcWT.jpg

We pretty much wipe them out and...

bnKhp.jpg

Retake our lost holding. Now to deal with what remains of the enemy army. I doubt they will pursue this folly much longer.

9YvSx.jpg

Small group down.

WvJqY.jpg

They get reinforced a little, but it won't make any difference.

The battle:

V3Klc.jpg

VMxHn.jpg

RCgL7.jpg

uoC3i.jpg

We not only win, we get lots of prisoners too! YAY! I take this opportunity to execute every single one of them. Death to the HEATHENS!

After dispatching our prisoners, wiping out what remained of the enemy force we had fought, and dealing with the rebels in Tunis, another small enemy army shows up. Right now they are not yet willing to accept a white peace. I want one and fast, so that I can hopefully, counter-attack and take territory for myself.

TZ3LK.jpg

Another victory, and another dead duke. Good. They still aren't willing to accept peace.

In family news...

h5PmJ.jpg

That is our Italian Catholic (yuck!) son who is in Beneveto right now. So I send him to confess his sins so that I don't have more Italians Catholics running around. I also realize at this point that the Pope has Absolute Crown Authority so territory cannot be inherited outside his realm. I will have to conquer that little barony in Beneveto at some point.

At present my army sits in Tunis waiting for the warscore to go up high enough that the enemy will accept a white peace. The rebels in Sicily have taken a province so I hire some cheap mercs to deal with them and they do. I continue to wait.

yIaZE.jpg

Finally. I may not be able to counter-attack though. My army is pretty drained, and so is my bank account.

d6ZKc.jpg

He agrees. We didn't get raped after all. After thinking a bit I realize...

T1mbD.jpg

That this is probably my best chance to strike them. I raise my troops and hire some mercs...

w3V7t.jpg

The army as it gets ready to head to Tunis. I hired a 4500 strong group of mercs.

3FjMd.jpg

We lay siege to Annaba. I expect the enemy will bypass my army and head for Tunis unless they are significantly stronger (they shouldn't be).

Also two more groups of rebels pop up, but I'm not going to worry about shots for them.

HyG8z.jpg

The first siege is won! Now to destroy the enemy force that marched into Tunis on us.

fB7uD.jpg

They take a beating! Back to Annaba to finish the besieging (or at least get more of them done).

ve1gW.jpg

Oh shit.

The battle:

Y0sji.jpg

NknVI.jpg

FlfLJ.jpg

iAmrZ.jpg

hMJTS.jpg

I disband the tattered remains of my army. I will re-raise them later.

DNTf3.jpg

We lose our siege. The enemy refuses a white peace and...

BOtLM.jpg

Surrendering is not an option. I cannot go 820 gold in the hole.

I...

3nlL0.jpg

5rW2Z.jpg

Call both my allies in. I hope they answer the call this time.

TqaAB.jpg

They don't.

I am going to have to let them run rampant in Tunis while my levies rebuild, as I lack the funds to hire enough mercs to deal with their large army.

EVMEc.jpg

We lose a siege while waiting.

And that is this update!

Tune in next time to see if I am able to defeat the enemy army and if I am forced to pay 800 gold for my folly.

Kayerts

Arcane
Besides I would rather be the Western Emperor.

The HRE's definitely the tougher empire for you to take. Generally speaking, stabbing your way onto the throne of Constantinople is probably the easiest way to go from count to emperor in CK2. All you need to do is to marry your heir to some third- or fourth-in-line princess, then make her first in line, then make her empress. You need around a thousand gold to safely bankroll the assassination campaign, and that's about it. Your leader will probably die from revenge assassinations, but it is better to die for the Empire than to live for yourself. :salute:

Taking down the HRE will be a lot harder. Agnatic inheritance laws make it really hard to run a peaceful takeover, and since the HRE is Catholic, you can't use the invasion mechanic. Your best bet is probably to get a Catholic heir (yeah, I know), then after he ascends to the throne, get the Pope to bless an invasion. And you'll need tens of thousands of levies and mercs to pull this off, so it's very much a long-term plan.

XenomorphII

Prophet
Besides I would rather be the Western Emperor.

The HRE's definitely the tougher empire for you to take. Generally speaking, stabbing your way onto the throne of Constantinople is probably the easiest way to go from count to emperor in CK2. All you need to do is to marry your heir to some third- or fourth-in-line princess, then make her first in line, then make her empress. You need around a thousand gold to safely bankroll the assassination campaign, and that's about it. Your leader will probably die from revenge assassinations, but it is better to die for the Empire than to live for yourself. :salute:

Taking down the HRE will be a lot harder. Agnatic inheritance laws make it really hard to run a peaceful takeover, and since the HRE is Catholic, you can't use the invasion mechanic. Your best bet is probably to get a Catholic heir (yeah, I know), then after he ascends to the throne, get the Pope to bless an invasion. And you'll need tens of thousands of levies and mercs to pull this off, so it's very much a long-term plan.

My actual long term plan (that probably won't pan out) is take Africa and Muslim Iberia. Then worry about the non-French Christians in Iberia and pushing France back some. Then eat the pope (he is actually very dangerous because of his huge income to hire mercs with), and then lastly try to get a claim on the Imperial title by marriage (I have done it before in other games), take it through war, then systematically remove all non-Greek Orthodox nobility by provoking them to rebel and title revoking or banishing.

Kayerts

Arcane
Sure, that could also work. Subjugating all Muslims west of the Caliphate is definitely your best mid-term goal, anyway.

rogozhin

Cipher
Generally speaking, stabbing your way onto the throne of Constantinople is probably the easiest way to go from count to emperor in CK2. All you need to do is to marry your heir to some third- or fourth-in-line princess, then make her first in line, then make her empress. You need around a thousand gold to safely bankroll the assassination campaign, and that's about it. Your leader will probably die from revenge assassinations, but it is better to die for the Empire than to live for yourself. :salute:
Yeah, it is actually extremely easy. I'm currently playing as the d'Hautevilles and after creating the kingdoms of Sicily and Italy and conquering Croatia, Jerusalem and (most of) France I married a sister of the young, childless Emperor and decided to start a little assassination spree with my 25 intrigue spymaster. Now I just have to wait until my wife dies and we'll have a Norman Catholic on the Byzantine throne..

Then eat the pope (he is actually very dangerous because of his huge income to hire mercs with)
This isn't really a problem as long as you act quickly. You just need to attack his mercs before their morale fills up and assault his holdings. You should get more than enough levies for this from Sicily and Tunis if they're built up a little.

XenomorphII

Prophet
Update 22-A Great Smiter's Last Smiting

While waiting around for our levies to replenish...

LsXqu.jpg

Another siege is lost.

Things may look bad, but if I can get my troops replenished, hire a couple of the cheap merc groups (1500x2 at 75 a piece and costing ~13 gold a month is doable), and engage the enemy force before they push to 100% warscore, I might be able to go on the offensive again and win this.

Anyway. Waiting, waiting, waiting...

t5XEi.jpg

An event, and more importantly, my military screen. Looks like its time to sally forth (I sure hope this works).

First, mercs...

9dYTX.jpg

I chose those two that are at full strength and are cheap. Then I raise and rally.

As everyone come together...

Jtu8B.jpg

She wants the Duchy of Calabria. I decline, as it would hurt my relations with her a lot unless I also gave up Messina and Reggio.

tS9y9.jpg

Another holding falls. Hurry up troops!

LelRh.jpg

Jacked up and good to go.

The battle:

nBguO.jpg

bkm8A.jpg

in9L0.jpg

0c5l3.jpg

This is going to be a big win. I can feel it...

yzhyu.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Time to dispense some justice on some heathens (that means they are getting the axe unless they can pay).

uCmWs.jpg

The pursuit goes well too.

Proceeds made:

uCmWs.jpg

A5Lyc.jpg

kVIim.jpg

z8Em9.jpg

hX1oF.jpg

Heads taken:

OEMIs.jpg

KZ6Pp.jpg

Now to retake our holdings and start to take from the enemy!

As I siege:

bENAk.jpg

An enemy army seems to be rallying next door. I thought about hiring mercs, but most either would cut into my funds too much or are not at full strength (so I have to overpay initially for them), so opt to wait and see.

nKhZO.jpg

Siege won, and they are still rallying.

jfphn.jpg

Another siege down, the enemy has wandered off now. That kinda worries me.

8VPEX.jpg

Last siege done, enemy has reappeared. Let's "enlighten" some Muslims.
By cracking their skulls open.

The battle:

6KOKh.jpg

gqdws.jpg

PMhsV.jpg

RxOnv.jpg

Alright. Time to pursue and kill some more of them. Our prisoner is able to pay his 70 gold ransom. Lucky for him I feel like I need to build up my warchest.

The pursuit...

6natP.jpg

Goes well! Both of them pay the 25 gold to avoid the chopping block. They'll get theirs though later, I am sure.

I take the opportunity to...

Kn9oT.jpg

Hire another group of mercs. My idea is to disband my personal forces soon (after they finish the pursuit of the enemy), let the mercs come together and siege, then re-raise my levies to assist them.

2EMol.jpg

Our army that has been fighting after disbanding my personal forces from it. The other mercs are going to be meeting them soon.

qkD7d.jpg

United, but looks like they are about to bite the dust. Shit. I should have waited on disband my own forces. Oh well.

The battle as my levies rally together:

SkLZ0.jpg

b2ydF.jpg

zHi91.jpg

fCi89.jpg

Could have been worse. At least the enemy is wounded.

We rally:

YjRts.jpg

Another battle:

BISbF.jpg

NDheX.jpg

Q0Zi9.jpg

He is ransomed, and we finally get around to laying siege to the enemy. I need these to go smoothly. If I can get the territories under my control the warscore should shift into my favor (right now the gradual buildup for my enemy holding the territory is killing me).

h3hiG.jpg

Shit. I just lost my claim on Beneveto too. Oh well. Need to focus on the heathens.

We are now...

iYnJS.jpg

Despot Sergios I of Sicily(not to be confused with Duke Sergios I of Capua). Let's smite heathens.

TYipy.jpg

A siege is won! The progress here buys me time (notice the warscore now that I have struck back).

eEJeL.jpg

Incoming! Shit, they just keep coming!

I think I will let them come into our territory then go around them, retake that area, then attack them. That may work.

Cp7Pt.jpg

Our wife is pregnant and...

iCKt1.jpg

Our eldest son dies (natural causes, he was sick).

ApXnl.jpg

Then easily win their siege and march into our mountain ranges to die. I let them, and retake the siege they just won. Notice the little skull they have and that they have already lost a few thousand men. I'm going to return to Tunis with my forces and wait until they are drained down then strike.

wig87.jpg

I haven't touched them and look at how much they have bled out. I will wait some more I think.

MeCQ3.jpg

I hire more mercs to fill out my lines.

EDp7T.jpg

And march out. Let's crush the enemy.

ZJVCT.jpg

Victory! Time to pursue, pursue, then siege, siege, siege.

iF8tp.jpg

We have a daughter and achieve our ambition. New goal...

yLbLc.jpg

Become a great man.

RSuMK.jpg

Another siege won! I move to defeat that army nearby. Don't want those bastards to rally against me again.

pd4VO.jpg

I catch part of them, but I'm not going to run that deeply into enemy territory. Back to our siege.

MdX00.jpg

An event. It would have cost me about 50 gold, and I don't feel like I can afford that right now. Too bad.

Xxa8r.jpg

That is glorious! We also get rebels in Leece, which is not.

McEsU.jpg

Territory taken! Now we fight the enemy! I sure hope we win!

YqLew.jpg

You know what? With their reinforcements, I think it is time to run away. Hopefully they will pursue me, and I can drain them, allowing them to follow in the footsteps of their last army.

5fRIC.jpg

We successfully retreat to Tunis, and they lay siege.

To be continued...

Again.

I really will get to a family update eventually. Just as soon as I don't end an update mid-war.

kazgar

Arcane
Another bump, keep up the good work, don't think I have the time to get obsessed involved with something like this right now, but watching someone else go through it is all of the ride, with none of the effort!

scratchmonkey

Educated
Bump for the bump god!

Your guy has some...interesting stats. How much of an effect will the low, say, Martial score have in terms of continuing your conquests?

XenomorphII

Prophet
Bump for the bump god!

Your guy has some...interesting stats. How much of an effect will the low, say, Martial score have in terms of continuing your conquests?

Martial doesn't seem to be a particularly important skill for a ruler (besides Alexandra had a 1). He just won't ever be leading my army.The stats that are most important for rulers (so far as I can tell) are diplomacy (to keep the vassals happy), stewardship (to maintain a large demesne), and intrigue (for protection and plot detection).

Fafnir

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Your Rulers stats also grant a bonus to tech improvements Martial increases military, Stewardship Economic and I believe diplomacy increased culture.

XenomorphII

Prophet
The hell is going on here? Should there not be an update?

It is inbound. Was going to be out of town this weekend, but no longer, and with the update installed, things should resume daily again. (Barring unforeseen circumstances) (my laziness may be one of those circumstances)

XenomorphII

Prophet
Update 23-We Have Always Been at War With Mauretania

Game is now updated to 1.04. Hope that doesn't screw me. Let's see, where were we...

ndvzo.jpg

Ah yes. Needing reinforcements, and staring at what is likely to be a major defeat.

First thing I do, is disband my personal levies to let them replenish.

Next...

YPVce.jpg

I hire some cheap mercs to deal with the rebels while my levies recover.

2qH3r.jpg

The first siege is lost as my troops rally at Tunis. I should have plenty of men to deal with the enemy army.

2qH3r.jpg

We head for the enemy.

The battle:

ixArc.jpg

43pkT.jpg

4pXxD.jpg

qQ5WF.jpg

qQ5WF.jpg

The prisoner is ransomed for 70 gold. Now to pursue...

bMyAE.jpg

2Q79Q.jpg

And to assault...

Jo15l.jpg

Which goes well. Now we move to Constantine and start the siege there.

60KNw.jpg

It has a fairly large garrison. This could take awhile.

SQ1St.jpg

They just keep coming. Damn. Time to run.

ijerX.jpg

I escape with the army, but I have no clue how I am going to win this. Personal forces are once again disbanded. I will let them recover while the enemy tries to retake his territory.

While we wait for our forces to recover, the sieges at Annaba are lost to the huge enemy force and they move to Medjerda, where they promptly start taking attrition. Looks like it is time to raise rally and attack again.

25WxU.jpg

The rallied army. Time to wait and let attrition do our dirty work. In the meantime we move to Annaba.

1kZW9.jpg

A few assaults later, it is quickly retaken as the garrisons are weak. Also some rebels pop up in Tunis.

AO9yf.jpg

The rebels in Tunis are dealt with and I notice some rebels in Constantine. They will hopefully have the garrison weakened for us. But before we come to that we need to deal with the enemy army...

mHhEt.jpg

They attempt to flee.

Cl1Ot.jpg

In unrelated news, the Muslim Jihad for Alexandretta has ended.

Back to our war.

The enemy is caught at Annaba:

oHAG4.jpg

kJR2k.jpg

dEQvl.jpg

Ur5UM.jpg

2YOmg.jpg

As we pursue the enemy:

rpQBZ.jpg

Yet another enemy army shows up! I may be forced to settle for a white peace at this rate, as I am simply unable to lay siege to the territories I need.

Although as long as the rebels are taking Constantine, I may be able to pull this off.

An event:

h3Vb3.jpg

That we turn down. I need my money right now.

Yet another battle:

HKWRb.jpg

2Tg2G.jpg

aNuIB.jpg

i3CHK.jpg

5g1Vb.jpg

We managed to win, but we were injured in the fighting. Hopefully Sergios will make a full recovery. The enemy meanwhile, runs to Annaba and we pursue. They must pay for wounding our Despot.

eOEVG.jpg

pt6JK.jpg

The pursuit goes well, except that Sergios is maimed in the battle, lowering his martial and health by 2. We continue to pursue the enemy. These defeats are gradually wearing them down, and after suffering so much we must win.

Pbdy3.jpg

Yet another enemy comes for us as we lay our siege.

Rjz8H.jpg

7f6Gh.jpg

DxIRd.jpg

cW6kX.jpg

IHOmD.jpg

We win yet again, but out army is all but gone now. I pursue the enemy hoping that the annihilation of this force will get him to agree to our terms.

MHyQg.jpg

Our son and heir come so us for his education.

As we wipe out the enemy army...

xL1z8.jpg

Yet another appears. We retreat for Tunis. Hopefully we are able to evade the enemy until we can recompose ourselves.

As I tactically withdraw (we never run away!)...

UcHR3.jpg

The rebel siege is won, and the enemy decides not to pursue us. I suspect that this means that they will be getting more reinforcements.

4oRCd.jpg

We made it Tunis in one piece. More or less. And most importantly we made it there without giving the enemy a battlefield victory. I disband my personal levies, so that they may recover, and...

That's this update. I really think that if I can keep winning the battles like I am, that in this next update after another fun round of this stuff, they might actually be ready to give me my land. Maybe. (I really do not want to just white peace out at this point, because they no longer have a peace treaty with me and will probably launch their own counter-attack.)

Hopefully we can get past this war soon. I feel like it is getting kinda boring and repetitive, since for like 3 updates now I have been doing the same thing over and over and oh so gradually pumping my warscore up.

Tigranes

Arcane
I have no idea how you keep getting all those buckets of cash, but I guess time is passing by a lot quicker when you scroll through the screens. Just plop the dollars down for some big mercs and make one big push.

Ironically, if you were Catholic you'd be bulldozing them with holy orders by now.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
OK that's about 3 straight updates with you attacking retreating attacking retreating attacking and retreating.

Cassidy

Arcane
Wish they used a more detailed and less "Superior Numbers = INSTAWIN" strategic combat model

Reminds me of the infinite and limitless mobilizations of Austria, Prussia and Russia in Vicky 2 older versions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom