Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play Cataclysm DDA - Absalom's Great Adventure

Cassidy

Arcane
Suffer not the mutant. Stay pure.

If nobody will listen to such valuable advice and the mutation turns out to involve fox-like features, become an hero

*Edit: to further support purity even during ITZ.

bVm70uI.jpg

vlakbKO.jpg

Last edited:

dextermorgan

Arcane
Much ado about nothing

The people have spoken and Absalom makes first steps on the way to becoming a filthy mutant.
Pj1rzM3.png

His skin turns rough. Right now this is a neutral mutation. I forget what it leads to when it gets upgraded but I think it's scaly skin or something like that. Hey, as long as it's not fur we're ok.
nSsTa0V.png

Absalom brings the car around to the intersection with a gun store and a pawn shop.He deftly picks the lock on the door of the gunstore and proceeds to dispatch zeds trapped inside (they can't break through barred windows and metal doors.
wpZmfQU.png

To the north he encounters some of those toxic zombies. He whips out the newly found Remington and proceeds to explode them from range. Three zeds, five bullets. Not bad considering he's a crap shot.
CIvzJTm.png

Standing on the intersection he can see activity to the north east. Apparently zeds are trying to kill an eyebot and failing miserably.
55zqhpy.png

He tries to pick a lock to the pawn shop but triggers an alarm. No matter, if any bots show up he'll shoot them. Inside the store there's some interesting loot - a zweihander. The wide strike would be useful if this game wasn't all about chokepoints. It's also a rather slow weapon.
KBTAlxr.png

Old-fashioned helm. He'd wear it but there's another, better piece of gear to be found shortly.
jO6Kq13.png

:| if I ever decide I want to embarrass Absalom...
G9psxHc.png

Absalom nearly creams his pants at the sight of these. Then he remembers he's wielding a totally op survivor machete. Oh well, picking it up anyway. The tactical helmet will replace his leather armor helm.
XdGbdbV.png

Another nice weapon is found, along with a second broadsword. Did we put 10 points in luck or something?
0rG4Jb3.png

After dumping all the loot in the truck, Absalom goes on a looting rampage out of sheer frustration of missing key items such as THIS! YES! FUCKING FINALLY!
QJnyhEF.png

Our weapon inventory...
d4Ovdlv.png

Continued.
jotSCKY.png

Absalom's current gear. He found a proper picklock kit in the same house with binoculars. At some point he also added a rechargeable battery mod to the soldering iron and a vehicle recharging station is installed in the driver door. He now has a survivor utility belt (includes a hammer, screwdriver, wrench, wood saw and a hacksaw) replacing the old toolbox and sheated inside is a hunting knife (best butchering knife in the game). He also crafted a scabbard at some point to keep his machete, and a survivor backpack (sturdier and +10 volume over the normal backpack). Raiding houses also yielded a diver's watch, so now he knows the time, can set alarm when sleeping and tell the ambient temperature.
GgjL9Wg.png

This is the map of places looted.
PjVVc3p.png

And without labels. It's almost time to say goodbye to this town. You've been good to Absalom, town. He will shed a tear while watching you disappear in the rearview mirror.
4GkvGqq.png

Before that, another round of vehicle pimping is done. This thing required 10 small LCD screens and Absalom had to tear apart most of the gear he found in the electronics store to get them.
rPXJNl3.png

It has to be toggled on or off. While he can do it from the control station in the back, the camera feed will only show while he's in the driver seat where he installed the display. This is in contrast with the car stereo which works from any control point. Note the Control individual engines option - at some point he stuck a large electric motor in the car. It's currently off and will serve as backup in case he runs out of gas or to boost vehicle power if necessary (turning it on takes the van from 130 to 230 kmh safe speed.
BjzHKyB.png

Absalom drives to the grocery store he spotted to the north east with the intent of raiding it and the pharmacy to the south before leaving this dump to explore the refugee center, but then he spots commotion to the north west. It's a roadblock with some blown turrets and a bunch of zeds destroying government property. Absalom will take care of this shortly, unless a nasty robot also happens to be present at the party.
1l72BlB.png

Ok bros, next we hit the roadblock and raid the grocery store before heading south towards the pharmacy, and then we're leaving town.

Absalom

How does the empty lane help? Just makes it easier to get in/out? Or do you just dump all loot in a pile then drive over it?

dextermorgan

Arcane
How does the empty lane help? Just makes it easier to get in/out? Or do you just dump all loot in a pile then drive over it?
You can't drag a vehicle onto another vehicle. With the empty lane he can pull his kustomized shopping cart into the larger vehicle and unload stuff directly onto the cargo carriers. You do it too, except you stand at the door in the back of the van while dragging a shopping cart and unload it onto the three cargo carriers in the back.

dextermorgan

Arcane
Science!

Wile carefully moving towards the barricade, Absalom is waylaid by a couple of firemen zombies. They go down easily enough and drop valuable loot. Finally, Absalom doesn't have to worry about getting poisoned by smoke or noxious clouds.
kky3Xno.png

No military-grade bots in sight and the zeds took care of the turrets themselves (you can see where they were by the yellow ='s - those are ejected gun cartridges.
91YtlGB.png

Zeds taken care of, Absalom checks his map. Now that he has binoculars he can see much further and spots a LAB!
SMMfLlY.png

Wandering around the upper part of town he also spots a pile of wreckage. Probably a crashed heli.
MMdQQg1.png

It often yields great loot so Absalom whips out his entrenching tool and begins clearing it.
Gil13lx.png

He was lucky enough to find some armor. With kevlar and a gas mask he can craft a survivor mask. Now he doesn't have to worry about fungal infections either. Also, no more nasty skeletons bashing his teeth out through that flimsy balaclava he used to wear.
8sUKKQM.png

Survivor suit is up next, but he'll have to go look for some clothes to cut up first.
XAEs083.png

Wreckage cleared, armor collected and survivor gear crafted, he decides to say fuck you to the town's pharmacy and the refugee center and heads for the lab. Next to the lab there's a survivor shelter but the stairs lead nowhere. We won't be jumping down since they sometimes land you in fucking lava lakes. (devs had some good time trolling players by not having a warning popup in these situations in earlier builds of the game)
BpTpryL.png

His current position. There's a mine to the north and a school to the west. Schools are cool because they have lots of books. They're not so cool because you have to slaughter a bunch of kids to get to them, which bombs your morale unless you have the psycho trait.
j8C9An4.png

Let's go in, shall we.
geKlkrc.png

The very first level yields promising loot,
byActri.png

And more.
KDQtFjA.png

The lab is dark creepy, with the random mi-go's cries echoing the hallways.
vZHJl4Q.png

This tends to happen often. Honestly, had he not been lucky to stumble upon armor that allowed him to craft survivor gear, he would't have stepped foot in the lab yet. It's simply too dangerous.
N2vxNGi.png

He killed a bunch of these. Not much of a challenge with their weak zap.
cUelXMa.png

He found several underground armories. Acetylene torch finally put to good use.
CNElv9g.png

He also practiced hacking some consoles. (this was taken just before a violent zapping administered by the said console for failure to hack it).
0fugWLx.png

Some rooms in the lab contain monster enclosures. Absalom chooses not to open them.
RqNDdfd.png

Keep banging against that reinforced glass bro, you're not going anywhere.
LtuNlDK.png

Fuck these things freak me out every time.
tmNMKKW.png

A bunch of CBMs are found, some in CBM storages, some pulled from the corpses of zombie scientists. Absalom has 8 in both first aid and electronics, which makes installing power storage CBMs a breeze.
UJHD9EC.png

This wasn't so breezy but he managed to get it.
ueOmNmi.png

Successfully hacking the console that shocked him previously, Absalom reveals more of his surroundings. Not pictured here is a mansion to the north of that fungal bloom (blue T). I guess we'll head there after we're done with the lab, since we're still missing some books.
kTtrj6g.png

A flask of ursine serum is found. You'll get to vote on that later.
RjFtJ9o.png

A fuckton of CBM's is also found.
KqdseJa.png

I decided to take some shots with my flashlight on. This is a monster observation room, usually holding a couple of scientists zombies.
9HTWunU.png

More ways to generate CBM power.
wQI4kBI.png

Another nice book is found. We'll have to find a special lab to make use of it I'm afraid.
3k6t6CL.png

Another nice CBM to generate power just by walking around.
sKrVWGk.png

This is what a lab armory looks like.
rmeWDqA.png

Fucking heart attack inducers.
gLtvMoy.png

Absalom had a major problem hauling loot due to increased weight he's hauling around from his armor and his low strength stat so he decides he's had enough and builds a foldable vehicle. This he can drag around with him and carry down stairs. He stuck a floodlight on it for extra lightening but made the mistake of installing a small storage battery, which is insufficient to power it. This was later replaced with a motorcycle battery (12 times the power).
2DVb5Ly.png

This is how foldable vehicles work.
jpEKF5g.png

And you can pick it up.
9m9V2Sf.png

Digging through dead men's belongings yields a prized item.
Esc4hW8.png

Fuck you.
xuIySFt.png

Nope.
6i8WpxO.png

This is the first lab floor, cleared.
2lzBNaL.png

Second floor, also cleared.
O2w0mq3.png

I'm getting a bit bored with the lab. I already dived all the way to the bottom without saving the game, only to find it's one of the disappointing finales. I think I'll abandon the lab for now and go check out the mansion next.

Expect loot and mutagen summary and another vote shortly.

dextermorgan

Arcane
Absalom's current character sheet. The pain is from hauling heavy loot, of course.
bjWpXzM.png

Inventory. he hasn't gotten around to crafting survivor boots yet to complete his set.
ipFxP7r.png

CBM's we picked up so far. If you want to know more about a particular CBM, ask.
DFxsaaD.png

More.
Ye4cQyb.png

CBM's installed. Pretty basic for now.
UXZ5tM3.png

And the moment you've all been waiting for. You may have noticed there are two serums in Absalom's inventory. One to turn him into a bear, another to turn him into a spider. Your options are*:

1. Drink ursine serum
2. Drink spider serum
3. Drink both
4. Don't drink either
5. Drink purifier to get rid of rough skin and be human again**

*I reserve the right to drink the purifier should we gain a really shitty mutation (such as being too large to operate a vehicle)
** Voting is open until I feel like playing again

Last edited:

dextermorgan

Arcane
That's kinda funny, one vote for ursine, both and purifier each and I'm partial to spider myself. I guess we need a tie-breaker.

dextermorgan

Arcane
2 votes bear
2 votes both
1 vote spider
1 vote purifier

I'd vote spider but only to break the tie. I think I'm gonna make Absalom's vote worth 1 1/2 points and make it 2 1/2 for both serums. Of course, in order to avoid loosing valuable equipment due to sudden bodily transformations, I'm going to make him strip and wear French Maid costume first. :smug:

Stay tuned.

dextermorgan

Arcane
Filthy mutant

While waiting for the vote to finish, Absalom packs the Dragster up and heads over to the mansion in the woods far to the north west. And guess what he sees as he approaches - it's a huge library!
26ptSac.png

Outside is a somewhat damaged sports car with a big engine. Might come back for it one day.
iGXOhLj.png

Absalom decides to train his marksmanship and rifles by plinking at zeds (mansions are usually full of regular Zs) while listening to his mp3 player.
K0FTGFg.png

Due to hostility between wildlife and zeds I found this group slaughtering a coyote and a fox. They were all shot and the fox and coyote corpses harvested for meat and pelts.
VcTeexR.png

More zeds.
Iv0qU7Y.png

Inside the mansion Absalom finds a curious item. Maybe he'll find a way to use it eventually.
WTAO7uJ.png

This is what his own library looks like now. To the right are new books he picked up at the mansion. Unfortunately, two of the books he's been really craving for (Robots for Fun and Profit and The Art of Japanese Weaponmaking - or whatever that's called) are not there. Still, the find is more than decent.
ViWGW8Q.png

Absalom remembers he picked up a second camera display in the lab. He decides to install it by his bed and puts another camera in the front of the vehicle. Yep, now he can drive without having actual LOS.
LjgcexE.png

He drives south and parks the car at a bend in the road a safe distance from the school. The town to the west has a library, two doctor's offices, a pawn store, an antiques store and a hardware store. He wants to visit all of those.
KhdSOus.png

Before the nighttime raid he decides to attempt installing the Dialectric Capacitance System CBM. This gives him protection against electrical attacks and makes whacking shocker Zeds a breeze. The installation is a success.
3lUpMz5.png

The raid is a total failure. Doctor's offices had a few bandages and an very little medicine, antique store had some pots and shit, pawn store a bar of silver and nothing else of interest (not that the bar of silver is very interesting but he picks it up out of old-world habit), and the hardware store yielded nothing of note. At least he gets to amuse himself at watching a milspec turret cut down some zeds in the night.
VfYPuSP.png

On his way back he runs into a shrieker zombie. The bastard alerts all the zeds in the vicinity. Thankfully, Absalom is too fast for them and gets away with no major issues.
B8soZAz.png

After a long sleep, Absalom wakes to find something is creeping around the van.
9g09WCj.png

Just as he's about to draw the curtain on the back door to peek outside, he remembers the camera display he installed earlier.
dGaAV27.png

It's only a giant spider, nothing to worry about.
eight-legged-freaks.jpg
DMHracu.png

Ok, time to strip...
FG4UgLH.png

Put on our mutation outfit...
tAZpSaQ.png

And inject. Since I wanted the good news first, I went with the spider serum, hoping for stuff like full night vision or high dexterity.
7pR8jpZ.png

Instead, Absalom gets stuck with this crap.
vXjfHqL.png

And this slightly less crappy mutation. Sigh.
T9sWQvq.png

Oh well. Let's try the bear one next, shall we?
ajIYThi.png

There's no screen because, well, nothing happened - no new mutations were added after injecting the ursine serum. It seems he's stuck being a spider (locked into a mutation path). I didn't know this could happen from just one serum but apparently it's possible.

Cassidy

Arcane
5GmXHeI.png

While spoderman dressing up in French maid clothes would be a very Dolan subject, I can't bother drawing this shit.

:M

dextermorgan

Arcane
Considering this game - unmodded - features gimp suits, fuzzy cat tails, fur kitty collars and vibrators, the indignities that one can inflict on his/her toon are practically unlimited. Fortunately for Absalom, this is about as far as I'm willing to go.

He's becoming seriously powerful by the way, as you'll see in the next update. I'm thinking of getting rid of the spider crap and going for the Alpha mutation with CBM support, which will basically turn him into a Space Marine, complete with power armor.

Still missing a few key books however.

potatojohn

Arcane
I see you take some bad risks with lab turrents.

It should always be possible to avoid getting shot - the trick is to open a room from a square where you're guaranteed to immediately see the turrent if it's in the room. Then you simply close the door. Unless your speed is extremely low, you should close it before it shoots.

With a bit of care you can explore labs pretty much immediately

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Considering this game - unmodded - features gimp suits, fuzzy cat tails, fur kitty collars and vibrators, the indignities that one can inflict on his/her toon are practically unlimited. Fortunately for Absalom, this is about as far as I'm willing to go.

He's becoming seriously powerful by the way, as you'll see in the next update. I'm thinking of getting rid of the spider crap and going for the Alpha mutation with CBM support, which will basically turn him into a Space Marine, complete with power armor.

Still missing a few key books however.
Hell yeah, go full Space marine! For the imperator!

sample-0f7985e0a5a753fb786a2adc7f541bf4.jpg

dextermorgan

Arcane
I see you take some bad risks with lab turrents.

It should always be possible to avoid getting shot
It is indeed possible to avoid it for most of the time. Absalom running into their fire is either due to over-reliance on safe mode auto on feature (sometimes not enough turns pass after seeing the last enemy for the safe mode to re-enable and he runs into the room without it stopping him), and also due to sometimes weird angle of the door in relation to the turret, where you can't spot it immediately and take a step through the door, at which point it gets a free shot at you no matter how fast you are.

Also, there's the matter of overconfidence since he's wearing survivor gear with full coverage, which makes him practically impervious to 9mm rounds due to 100% armor coverage and high armor values. In fact, he can melee lab turrets without too much trouble (tested by save-scumming).

lightbane

Arcane
So, what happened with the next update? Was Absalon eaten after all?

dextermorgan

Arcane
So, what happened with the next update? Was Absalon eaten after all?
Absalom made it into near-goodhood with some very sweet CBMs and a light power armor. I fucked up screenshotting so no continuity but I'll try and provide a summary update. Not playing much these days though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom