Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Let's not LARP through this shit.

Discussion in 'Codex Playground' started by ghostdog, Feb 16, 2011.

1. ghostdoggender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Since IMAGESUCK has put codex on the black list, in order to see some of the images you must do this : LINK

Yeah, you heard correctly, this is a Let's Play for the first Final Fantasy game. Specifically, it's for the PSX remake (Origins) that includes both FF1 and FF2. Hironobu Sakaguchi was the lead developer of the game and he called it Final Fantasy because if it wasn't successful he would quit the game industry. Fortunately (or unfortunately) it sold well and it created one of the biggest Japanese RPG franchises.

CONTENTS:

[​IMG]

Pros: It doesn't have much of a story (so we're spared of the usual bullshit plot and moronic characters of FF games). It can be challenging. You make your own party and chose your character's class.
    Cons: A bit unbalanced and a lot of GRINDAN, but that's a given in most FF games.

[​IMG]

This is basically an experiment, as I'm going to improvise a lot with this LP. It may end pretty quick. Tell me what you think.

[​IMG]

PS: I'm also experimenting with blogger for the images, so there may be problems. Bare with me.

^ Top  
  2. ghostdoggender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    Parrots:

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    [] CHAPTER 1 : ORIGINS []
    [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's Squaresoft in 2002, so CGI cutscenes are a given.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

After the scene with the strange crystal, we're taken to a place where the sky is suddenly darkened...

[​IMG]

...And a blond, feminine warrior dressed in purple armor appears.
    Yep, purple armor.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And guess what, he's not alone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's a duel, gentlemen ! Man vs Dragon. Nothing new here.

[​IMG]

That's one nasty smile.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And that's an even nastier fireball !

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

What the hell is he doing ?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:shock:
    He parried.
    The fireball.
    With his sword.
    He actually cut it in half.

[Perception] Dragon Age has a lot to learn.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And then, blondie takes the offensive. That dragon is in big trouble.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We'll never know how it ended, because that damn crystal appeared again.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And that's the end of the intro. The first intro that is, because the game has a second one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Wind Died.

[​IMG]

The Sea Raged.

[​IMG]

The Earth Began To Decay.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And after journeying far, four young warriors did at last appear. In the hands of each rested a mysterious crystal...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Time to set the Final Fantasy in motion

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  3. Crooked Beegender: ⚧ wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Hehe, another Final Fantasy LP.
    :love:

In the game I'm LPing, "Heroes of Light" are also "Warriors of Light" in the Japanese, by the way, so it's clearly a reference to the beginning of the series. Oh, and I didn't remember the Crystal was already there in FF1.

Anywayz, bookmarked.

^ Top  
  4. ghostdoggender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    Parrots:
    It seems Crystals and FF go together.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the music is pretty awesome. Half the reason I'm still playing this game.

^ Top  
  5. lightbanegender: ⚧ Arcane

lightbane
    Parrots:
    More FF faggotry? :decline: What about Bloodnet LP? Or DArk Earth? :rpgcodex:

Also, I vote for the party to be a Monk, a Thief, a Red Mage and a White Mage.

^ Top  
  6. ghostdoggender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    Parrots:
    Sorry the party is premade. You'll have to blame the Glen Cook for that.

Also: You can never have enough FF-Faggotry :smug:

^ Top  
  7. Mrowakgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Mrowak
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity
    Another FF LP... And part I. Oh gawd. Still it's ghostdog doing it, it may just have some potential.

And the other half? :/

^ Top  
  8. ghostdoggender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    Parrots:
    Look at the first post.

^ Top  
  9. ghostdoggender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    Parrots:

Time to start our adventure !

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, we can choose the name AND the class of our heroes. Itz heavan.

[​IMG]

The Classes we can choose from are :
    • [​IMG] WARRIOR : "Powerful fighter and weapons expert."
      He's probably the most useful party member and he will inflict 80% of the damage and soak up most of the enemy attacks. You could make a party of 4 warriors and breeze through the game, if it wasn't for some parts where magic is mandatory, especially in the latter parts of the game. Later he can be turned into a KNIGHT and be able to use some magic too. His basic disadvantage is that his equipment are the most expensive in the game.
    • [​IMG] THIEF : "Agile Rogue with nimble fingers and precise attacks."
      The description is fubar since the only thing the rogue has for him is Agility. He can't steal from others and his attacks aren't more precise than the warrior. He will usually be the first one to attack though and he will help the party flee from battles. Frankly he is a shitty class, but he is redeemed by the fact that he can evolve into a NINJA who is a good killing machine.
    • [​IMG] MONK : "Warrior monk strong in both body and mind. Fights best unarmed."
      The MONK is a strong martial artist and he can do a lot of damage with his multiple unarmed attacks. Unfortunately his defense isn't that good and he is also vulnerable to magic. He can be turned into a MASTER, later.
    • [​IMG] RED MAGE : "Dabbles in both white and black magic. Also a decent fighter."
      He is a pretty good character as he can deal some good damage with weapons, wear heavy armor and use both black and white magic. His only disadvantage is that he can't excel in anything. He can be turned into a RED WIZARD later in the game.
    • [​IMG] WHITE MAGE : "Mystic Specializing in white magic to heal and protect others."
      He is the healer of the party but apart from healing/protection spells he can also use strong magic against undead. On the downside his defense sucks and as a magic user he needs to sleep in an inn to replenish his spells. Evolves into a WHITE WIZARD.
    • [​IMG] BLACK MAGE : "Deals great damage to foes with black magic. Physically weak."
      The only class that can deal good damage with magic. Since he has the same disadvantages as the white mage his spells are best reserved for difficult situation, so most of the time he'll just be dealing puny damage with his little knife. Evolves into a BLACK WIZARD.

Unfortunately for all the wannabe warriors out there, this party is pre-made. I was tempted to start with two warriors for an easier time, but I decided to have a thief in order to stay more in character. Our four Heroes will be :

[​IMG] Captain.

[​IMG] Raven.

[​IMG] Croaker.

[​IMG] One-Eye.

[​IMG]

(too bad for the 6-letter limitation)

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    [] CHAPTER 2 : WARRIORS OF LIGHT AND DARKNESS. []
    [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

[

[​IMG]

[​IMG] I told you we were in civilized lands !

[​IMG] You also told us it was perfectly safe to step in the portal.

[​IMG] We ought to have skinned him alive for this.

[​IMG] The portal was stable ! It must have been a trap.

[​IMG] You're always quick with excuses, eh One-Eye ?

[​IMG] Cut it out ! We're still members of the Black Company, the finest mercenaries ever to set foot on this land -any land- and you better act like it !

[​IMG] The captain is right. Let's see if we can get any information in this town.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Hmm, it's a scenic little town...

[​IMG] Captain, a guard just blocked the exit. It could be an ambush.

[​IMG] Be alert, but don't do anything hastily. Let's see what this is all about.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Look, we haven't seen-

[​IMG] Wait ! Can you be... ?

[​IMG] Huh ?

[​IMG] The king must see you !

[​IMG] What the...

[​IMG]

CASTLE CORNELIA 2nd FLOOR :

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Sir, I don't know what you're talking about.

[​IMG] But you carry four Crystals with you, don't you ?

[​IMG] Psst- captain, he must mean the crystal amulets we "acquired" from that band of warriors.

[​IMG] You mean these obviously fake trinkets ?

[​IMG] They seem agitated. Let's show them the amulets, it might make them happy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] But, Your Majesty, we have no proof that these four are the true Light warriors.

[​IMG] Surely it is not coincidence that four warriors bearing crystals have appeared now.

[​IMG] Now that you mention it, Your Majesty... no, it can't be a coincidence...

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Garland, once a knight in his Majesty's service, has abducted Princess Sarah. We have learned that he is in the Temple of Chaos, north of Cornelia. We attempted to rescue the princess but his powers far surpassed ours.

[​IMG] :whisper: The whole army of this kingdom couldn't do anything and he thinks we four have a chance ?

[​IMG] :whisper: Just look at their glaring eyes, they're obviously mad.

[​IMG] Perhaps you wish to cross the northern straight. The bridge that once spanned it, was lost long ago. We could rebuild it for you.

[​IMG] It is just as Lukin foretold... Light Warriors, I need your Help.

[​IMG]

At last, we leave the throne room...

[​IMG]

[​IMG] I told you we shouldn't have killed those four adventurers !

[​IMG] It was Raven's fault. He snapped, as always.

[​IMG] Those four where way too friendly to begin with ! They were too eager to accept us in their company. And what of their hideous purple clothes, the way they always tried to touch us ? Treachery and faggotry was afoot !

[​IMG] Ok. We'll have to play along, we don't need any more trouble. We should consider this to be a new assignment, we're mercenaries after all.

[​IMG] I didn't hear anything about money, though.

[​IMG] They seem gullible enough, I'm sure we can extract some form of monetary reward.

[​IMG] And that bridge may not be a bad idea, we need to find a way to get back to our own land.

[​IMG] It's settled, we'll go and rescue the princess. Let's try to gather more information about this mess.

[​IMG]

"Temple Of Chaos" is a fine name for a den of stinking evil. On the first floor we find the Queen's chambers...

[​IMG]

[​IMG] The queen huh ? Maybe we can extract some kind of "reward" from her too...

[​IMG] Don't fool around Croaker !

[​IMG] He always had a thing for powerful women :grin:

[​IMG]

People in the castle seem smitten by Garland's treachery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] What could have driven him to such hatred ?

[​IMG] Well, I'm only a couple of hours here and I already hate this place with passion.

[​IMG] Maybe he just wanted to have his way with the princess, eh ?

[​IMG] Or maybe it was the Princess that orchestrated the "abduction". Let's not always throw the blame on the easy target...

It seems that the princess has a little sister/brother, can't really tell.

[​IMG]

But what's more interesting is that if we go around the castle walls, we'll reach an inner chamber...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] Dammit ! I can't believe the fools gave the key of their armory to some far-away elven dandy prince !

[​IMG] Yeah, this would be a perfect reward for our services...

[​IMG] But we *are* the Light Warriors, why don't they give us any supplies/weapons/provisions for our quest ?!

[​IMG] I told you there's something wrong with these people. It's their eyes, man, they have glassy eyes...

[​IMG] Enough ! Croaker, get those romantic notions out of your head. We're NOT the Light Warriors. We probably MURDERED the real Light Warriors. But we agreed to find this princess and the Black Company always gets its man.

[​IMG] Or woman.

[​IMG] ... ... ... Or woman.

[​IMG]

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    -> Next : Preparations.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

^ Top  
  10. spekkiogender: ⚧ Arcane

spekkio
    Parrots:
    Thread sux but at least OP is ghostdog.

Another game that I don't have a reason to play now thanks to the LP...

:smug:

Edit: He even uses the same shitty eye-melting scaler as in Indy's LP...

:x

^ Top  
  11. Make America Great Again Fowyrgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Fowyr
    Parrots:
    Warriors! Restore the power of Orbs!

^ Top  
  12. Crooked Beegender: ⚧ wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    :yeah:

^ Top  
  13. Thrombonegender: ⚧ Educated

Thrombone
    Parrots:
    A ghostdog LP is always a good thing

^ Top  
  14. Radisshugender: ⚧ Prophet

Radisshu
    Parrots:
    The LARP is strong in this one.

But since it's ghostdog's LP, I have faith in it.

^ Top  
  15. Luigigender: ⚧ Barely Literate

Luigi
    Parrots:
    The only good thing about this LP are the Brom avatars.

^ Top  
  16. ghostdoggender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    Parrots:
  17. Scream Phoenixgender: ⚧ Unwanted

Unwanted
    Parrots:
    Could it be?

Yes! A Glen Cook flavored LP! By the infinite lewdness of the Lady and Raven's closet pedophilia! The incline! The incliiiiiiine!

^ Top  
  18. ghostdoggender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    Parrots:

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    [] CHAPTER 3 : PREPARATIONS. []
    [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

[​IMG] We should try to find more about this place. Let's ask that lady there.

[​IMG] Good lady, where exactly are we ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Have you ever heard of the land of Khatovar, or the Empire of The Lady ?

[​IMG] This is Cornelia, the city where-

[​IMG] It's no use Croaker, these people are morons. Probably the result from a century of incest.

Disappointed, we come to a fountain at the center of the town.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] What the... did the fountain just talk to me ?

[​IMG] Stay back Captain, I smell of Sorcery.

[​IMG] Bah, a simple trick, nothing to worry about.

[​IMG] Let's point our questions to that gal here, she seems more... lively.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Hi there, beautiful !

[​IMG] -Ahem- Fair Lady, I was wondering if you can help us orientate. Do you know if the Empire of the Lady is close to these parts ?

[​IMG] Sorry, never heard of it. Come back to talk to me though, I may have some juicy info for you from time to time.

[​IMG] We sure will ! :D

In the town we also find a well...

[​IMG]

Uh-uh, something tells me that eventually it will be important.
    But guess what, there's also a weapon shop here ! Time to buy some weapons.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

We get a rapier for Captain and Raven, a Hammer for Croaker and a knife for One-Eye. Thankfully, we had some Gil in our pockets. Next, it's the Armor shop :

[​IMG] [​IMG]

A chainmail for Captain, a Leather armor for Raven and two shirts for our magic users. The next two shops sell White and Black magic spells.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Each magic user can learn up to 3 spells from every level. With our current money we can only buy 1 spell for each one. We got Cure1 for Croaker and Sleep1 for One-Eye.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] Did you notice how they call us the legendary warriors, they beg for us to save them, and at the same time they don't even give us a discount for the things we buy ?

[​IMG] Typical.

[​IMG] I say we slaughter everyone and take their money. Since the whole guard couldn't defeat that Garland guy, they're bound to be easier targets.

[​IMG] Hmm, I think you're onto something here...

[​IMG] Don't even think about it. We made a promise, and the Black Company always keeps its word ! Tempting as it may be, we wont kill them. Yet.

Since we wont kill them, we talk to them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] So, it's this bastard --Lukin-- that put us in this bloody mess with his phony prophecies !

[​IMG] He fled town, but if I ever get my hands on him...

[​IMG] Pfeh, any idiot can spit out a vague "prophecy" about "saviors". If I meet this charlatan I'll turn him into a frog.

In the western part of the town we come across a church-like building.

[​IMG]

You can revive fallen party members and heal ailments. After offering the right donation, of course. There's also an Item shop, where we can buy potions and stuff...

[​IMG]

And finally the inn, where we can save the game and replenish our health and spells.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] Damn, we don't have enough money...

[​IMG] These clowns won't even offer us a place to get some rest. They make us pay for everything !

[​IMG] Ok, we'll have to go outside and kill some monsters. All animals seem to carry gold in these lands.

[​IMG] Animals that carry gold coins... what's next ? Cats that ride robot-moogles ?

But before that, let's quicksave the game. Yeah, origins offers some kind of quick save function which you can use anytime. You'll have to do an actual save in the inn before exiting the game though, because the memo file is available only during the playthrough.

[​IMG]

So, do you know what time it is now ? YEP... IT'S GRINDAN TIME !

[​IMG]

This game basically forces you to grind until you have enough money to buy all the stuff from the area.

[​IMG]

We fight Goblins (very easy targets)

[​IMG]

He head on north, near the destroyed bridge...

[​IMG]

There we bump on some Goblin Guards (somewhat harder than the Goblins)

[​IMG]

And we even fight some crazy robot unicorns !

[​IMG]

LEVEL UP !

[​IMG]

Let's have a look at our party :

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The grindan continues. We try to put some Goblins to sleep...

[​IMG]

And we face another unicorn. This time we kill it with fire.

[​IMG]

We've reached level 3 by now and we finally have enough money to buy the spells we want. As you can see there are 4 spells in each level, but we can only learn 3. C&C baby !

[​IMG]

We get DIA (damage against undead) and SHIELD for Croaker, while One-Eye learned FIRE1 and FOCUS1.

[​IMG]

I think it's time we returned to the inn. Hey, what are those old dudes doing in the next room ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Crap, they're members of the Tutorial guild !

[​IMG] Eww, stay away !

[​IMG] Well, at least they're not making us kill rats in the basement.

[​IMG] Let's try to get some shut-eye, we need it badly.

[​IMG] Here's your 30 Gil ma'am.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    -> Next : The Temple Of Chaos
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

^ Top  
  19. Edward_R_Murrowgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Edward_R_Murrow
    Parrots:
    Only chumps do those....

This should be entertaining, although you've got some serious fortitude to tackle this grindfest...you're going to use the puzzle minigame to cut out some grinding, right?

^ Top  
  20. LusciousPeargender: ⚧ Savant

LusciousPear
    Parrots:
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I love this thread.

LARP is the only way to make Final Faggotry tolerable.

CARRY ON TILL THE END :love:

^ Top  
  21. Radisshugender: ⚧ Prophet

Radisshu
    Parrots:
    Hey man, I never said those weren't LARPy as well.

The most ridiculously LARPed LP I've read is the recent Storm of Zehir LP at the SA forums, the guy has even included cutscenes and parts where the party gets split up and has to find eachother that isn't in the game.

EDIT: Anyway, this LP feels good so far, will follow, etc.

I actually kind of like FF 1 because of its minimalism. You start off without any gear, no levels, no character personalities, and you're actually expected to do some leveling even before the first dungeon, else the first boss will just kill you. If it had better combat and some real quests I'd think it was really cool.

That's actually a pretty good idea for an indie game right there, a western FF1 clone with all the stuff games like Fallout had, but on a simpler level.

^ Top  
  22. Crooked Beegender: ⚧ wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Parrots:
    :thumbsup:

:rage:

^ Top  
  23. ghostdoggender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    Parrots:
    DO tell dear chap, I've never gone that far into the game.

^ Top  
  24. spekkiogender: ⚧ Arcane

spekkio
    Parrots:
    Similiar thing happened in my Odin Sphere LP.

First people were posting "WTF LOL", "WHAT" etc. and three pages later same fags were sharing PROTIPS learned from their multiple playthroughs... :roll:

^ Top  
  25. Edward_R_Murrowgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Edward_R_Murrow
    Parrots:
    It's actually not very far in at all. When you get the ship, which is soon, you can activate a little secret. You hold one of the buttons down and simultaneously hit another 70 times (holding X and pressing O on the Playstation controller; according to GameFAQs). You can then play a tile sliding puzzle, and once you can complete it fast enough, you can get thousands of gold as a reward. That way, early on, you can buy the best gear and spells without grinding for hours.

It may seem "cheap", but that's the name of this game. It makes you grind for hours, puts you in dungeons full of monsters that can inflict incredibly harmful status ailments, restricts you to vancian magic (with infinite random encounters no less), and makes half the character classes complete crap.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)