Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Multiplay Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (PBEM) Game 5

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
image.jpg

Ok, this is turning into a habit. :P

This is a re-match after the last game. Same rules, SMAC with kyrub's patch.

Gaia's Stepdaughters
r4YS99H.jpg

Human Hive
rTOuIcx.jpg

University of Planet
c8Whely.jpg

Spartan Federation
WU2PPGJ.png

Lord's Believers
TDErjsY.jpg

Peacekeeping Forces
85AaF0l.jpg

Morganites
KG2MntB.png
Players and turn order:
Gaia’s Stepdaughters - AI
Human Hive - Nevill
University of Planet - Hellraiser
Morganites - Kalin

Spartan Federation - Mysterious Stranger
Lord's Believers - AI
Peacekeeping Forces - Grimgravy

I'll play Hive or Morgan - whatever does not get picked by others.

I am looking for a simple game with 4 or 5 human players, tops.

The PBEM rules:
A player may not:
1. Reload the game multiple times or load the game into the scenario editor
2. Conduct diplomacy prior to having met in-game
3. Use colony pods to increase a base beyond its maximum population limit
4. Use build queue manipulation or other exploits to hurry production at reduced costs, or build something that could not directly be built
5. Take advantage of the stockpile energy bug by adding it after units in build queues
6. Upgrade crawlers before adding them to secret projects
7. Make social engineering changes and then change back in the same turn
8. Connect multiple artifacts to the same network node (supposedly possible if you rename the city)
10. Trade or give away bases to AI factions
11. Setting the home of a unit to the base of a pacted AI faction
12. Transfer missiles to AI factions
13. Start a terraforming task in one square, cancel it, move to a different square and then finish it there (in case of combat terraforming)
14. Perform an act of aggression against a player and complete pending negotiations in the same turn

Reverse-engineering is however allowed.
Planetary Council information must be fully shared with all players.
Do not use the design workshop to bypass the "no upgrading after moving" rule.
Do not retire unit designs through the design workshops (upgrade or disband them on the map, modify the design into something new in the workshop).
Planetary Transit System is BANNED. If the AI builds it, and you capture the city, it has to be OBLITERATED. Nuke it from the orbit, it's the only way to be sure!
In-game rules:
Rules.jpg

The usual suspects, Cassidy, Kalin, Hellraiser and Grimgravy are invited to make first pass at the factions.

Preferences: a random map with standart parameters. May also agree to Huge size and Rampant wild life if others are willing.

Last edited:

Hellraiser

Arcane
University, again. I have SCIENCE and propaganda blue balls after the last game.

Also depending if people are in favour, we could ban crawlers. I would not mind (call me a neutral on this issue), although the thing I fear the most is that this would shaft everyone not running Free Market when it comes to rushing projects (and would make projects build really fucking long). Also it is a rule that is difficult to enforce.

Nevill

Arcane
I am in favor. I don't think it is very efficient to hurry Projects with money, and they are supposed to take a long time to build.

More importantly, it makes big, productive bases preferable to the small ICSed oned, which can only be a plus.

As for enforcing the rule, most of them are self-imposed anyway.

Nevill

Arcane
No ban, only tasteful beheadings. What do you have against Empath Guild anyway? :M

JoKa

Cipher
I personally think that infiltrating the datalinks is entirely too powerful (you get info on tech, credits, production, units...everything), especially as it's permanent. Getting intel on everyone else (not permanently, ofc) with no way to counter apart from vendetta seems a bit much in MP. But to each their own.

Fun fact: EG was banned when I first played MP against other Codexers back in the day (10 years ago?), as was becoming elected PG for that same reason.

Edit: Not joining this PBEM as well, still got too much on my hands with work for the time being.

Last edited:

Hellraiser

Arcane
Well the EG is one of the more hated secret projects. It is mostly a pain in the ass though because it ruins any surprise military build up. Still, it is possible to play around it and still launch surprise attacks. I managed to do that, but my plan was audacious and I got lucky at one point.

Normally the effort needed to get infiltration via traditional means justifies the benefit (even if infiltration is a non-hostile probe action that can't be detected), a projects that grants it for all factions does seem a bit cheap. But it doesn't do much besides that, just grant votes. EG would be pretty crap without the infiltration.

Overall though, if they ever remade the game, infiltration is one thing I would want to see changed. Give it levels depending on probe team commitment (showing more details, starting from vague ones like overall research), make it deteriorate etc.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I'm for limiting (say 1 per base, can't be used to hurry production) or banning crawlers. Mostly because I don't see the fun in building crawlers until you win, but they add.
I'd also say limit base placement. 3 bases being able to work the same square seems excessive.

I'll play whatever. So, I'll let others choose before I do.

Nevill

Arcane
I'd also say limit base placement.
I don't see how, except to limit the overall number of bases. *

Don't forget, though, that without crawlers one can't get the most out of closely located bases.

* One of the games I did was one where we played under the limit of 40 + (M.Y. - 2200) / 10 year bases [+ faction bonus for factions that either suck or just can't play otherwise, like Sparta or Hive], excluding conquests and with no AIs on map. Was quite fun, too, but I am not sure if it's everyone's cup on tea.

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
It can't be hard to space bases out so than 3+ bases don't use the same square. I do it simply because it offends my sense of aesthetics. But then our play styles are clearly vastly different, so I understand that might be hard for you. :M
But really, I'd like to avoid anything remotely like the ICS pics you've posted elsewhere. They are simply hideous. I can't imagine that being enjoyable.

Nevill

Arcane
It can't be hard to space bases out so than 3+ bases don't use the same square.
The placements I use are planned around using the same resourse by 3 to 4 bases, because resourses are rare.

This is my ideal placement:
2015_08_27_000845.png

There is some overlap, but I don't think it's that bad. :M

I don't call it ICS since one can fit 9 bases in that space.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
The resources aren't that rare. Beyond the ones placed regularly by the maps seed (and they are regular), you get extras from unity pods. Switching 3-4 bases working the same square every turn...ugh. I couldn't do it. And if you go that far, you'll beat me every time. Nothing wrong with doing that, but it's not the game I want to play.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Since I've got the Gaians in game 4, I'll take the Peacekeepers. And what's the deal with Mysterious Stranger and the Spartans? Another ringer?

Nevill

Arcane
- Permission to speak, sir. - The lead scout Jonathan was standing at attention. Chairman Nevill has known him for a long time. In fact, he was the one who recommended his services to the Mission Committee. He didn't even have to manipulate the files all that much - the man passed with flying colors.
- At ease, Jon. We are alone here.
- I must maintain at least an appearance of subordination. Our society places the utmost importance on the order and one's place in it, after all. Anyway, I have good news, and bad news.
- The good ones first.
- We have found a lot of rivers in the region. It is estimated that a simple hydroelectric plant would produce enough energy to offset our deficit. We can use it to get enough of a boost while the eggheads work on a way to build solar collectors and make our cities truly self-sufficient with time.
- Sounds perfect. Is that a 'but' I see coming?
- Correct. Most of the rivers are covered with xenofungus and are not suited for habitation purposes. It would take years to purge the land of this filth - and we don't even know how to do that yet.
- We don't really have a choice, do we? With the emphasis we place on security here there is not a lot of energy that gets diverted to other pursuits. We must make use of each and every opportunity that presents itself. I will give the order.

Xenofungus. The fantastically shaped lifeform that covered vast tracts of the planet's surface like a thick red jungle. Settling near it carried a fair amount of risk, but not because the plant was dangerous by itself. It's the things that lurked there that were dangerous.

Mindworms. Jonathan's unit that first tried to wade through the fungal growth stumbled upon those nasty little critters that burrowed under one's skull to put their larvae in a still living host. That was bad enough, but it quickly got worse.

Initially it was thought that wearing a hermetically sealed helmet would offer enough protection against this new type of threat... until, to the utmost horror of the soldiers, their comrades started to act as if they were mad - clawing at their visors, shooting indiscriminately, or, worst of all, lowering their helmets and letting the parasites in. It was then when it became clear that these species possessed some kind of mind-affecting capabilities.

Men who dared to venture into the wilderness alone never returned back as they were. If they were found at all, they were either dead, with their brain devoured from the inside, or shambling husks of their former selves, crawling with parasites and wandering aimlessly like zombies from a bad horror flick. People have nicknamed those 'revenants' - perhaps in jest at first, - but the name quickly caught on as it gave the superstitious folk tales they brought from the Old Earth a second life. Spooky stories were told at nights once again. Only this time, they were grounded in reality.

Something was out there, and it was not friendly.

Excerpts from Jonathan's PDA notes.

Revenant.
Mindworm larvae host. Condition seemingly irreversible. Retains basic motor functions of the infected individual, but otherwise mindless.

Attempts to recreate revenants in a controlled environment with select few mindworm specimen failed. The victims simply die in agony. Suspected cause of failure: only mindworm boils can affect a host's brain in a way that provides limited control over its body. (make a suggestion to Nev - the severity of punishment proved useful in maintaining the unit's discipline)

Mindworm.
Parasite. Carnivorous. Large specimens reach 10 cm in length. Teeth hard enough to chew through steel.

Encountered in large groups called boils. Most often found in areas with xenofungus. Husks contain valuable minerals that double as a powerful energy source (solution for the energy crisis?).

Paralyzes victims with terror (telepathy?) before implanting its larvae in a victim's brain. This often, but not always, results in a creation of a revenant.

Vulnerable to high temperatures. Extensive use of explosives and flamethrowers advised in combat. All men and equipment need to go through the decontamination chamber after returning from the wilderness.

Individual specimens do not appear to be sentient (no psionic capabilities?). However, boils as a whole demonstrate a surprising level of cunning. The more mindworms there are in a boil, the greater is their collective level of ability.

Connection of mindworm boils to an even greater entity suspected, but remains unproven. (need more data, no one is going to believe me otherwise)

'It'.
<ENTRY CLASSIFIED. PASSWORD REQUIRED.>

Chairman has never seen Jonathan so agitated before. The lead scout's grey hair were tousled, and even through the imperfect 3D projection is was obvious that he was on edge.

- Talk.
- We've were on the hunt for another one of those mindworm boils. You know how it is, we need the energy. My right-hand officer, Peter... he didn't make it. 'It' got to him, I don't know how, despite all of the precautions we took, but it did. We've had some heavy losses in that skirmish. You'll find the casualty report among the files I've sent you.
- Do you need reinforcements?
- No, that's not why I contacted you. There was something I didn't put in the report.
- What is it?
- Before he died, Peter... no, that was no longer him, just a revenant... it tried to talk to me.
- Indeed? What did he say?
- Nothing I could understand. It was just incomprehensible babble. I was scared out of my mind, I shot it almost immediately.
- You've read the medical analysis. Even after the infection the boil never gets full control over the host's faculties. Perhaps he was still conscious and was calling out for help?
- I knew Peter for twenty years! He was gone by then! As in, completely gone! His eyes were empty! I knew what I saw! You can deny it all you want - but 'It' exists, and today it tried to talk to me!
- Calm down. If that's another one of your theories about an alien God that is out to get us, I am not in the mood. Is that all?

Jonathan's teeth clench visibly. For a moment it looks like he is about to say something else, but the veteran soldiers takes a deep breath and pulls himself together in a second. 'I taught him well', thought the Chairman with not a little bit of pride.

- One more thing. During the fight I have also seen something moving in the distance. Didn't look like one of the natives. It bore a resemblance to one of the Unity Rovers that were on board of the ship. Not one of ours, though - all of my people are accounted for.
- You think others have survived the crash?
- I am positive. We have picked up their broadcasts. Not enough to get what they were talking about, but enough to know what frequency they use. You'll have the data in a minute.
- Thank you, Jonathan. You are dismissed.

Finally, a piece of good news! They were not alone on this strange alien planet anymore. The chances of the humanity have just doubled overnight! Now, to make a good first impression and to sign a Treaty of cooperation to get the U.N. mission back on track.

The Chairman opens the Holo-recorder and begins writing down a draft, humming as he works.

"This is an automated message from Chairman Nevill of the U.N.S. Unity. We have successfully made planetfall. Our channel frequency code is fTg5xzGGY3yQ. We come in peace. Please respond. This is an automated message..."

The Chairman looked at the monitor in frustration. It was useless. It's been a year since they were trying to contact the mysterious survivors. No response came. Some have started saying that the scouts had seen things that simply weren't there.

But there were others, and they were listening, there could be no denying that. Once, the Chairman have ordered some of the map files uploaded to the Datalinks, and broadcasted the access code. A connection was registered, and there was a download attempt made from the outside. The files themselves were encrypted, of course - he wouldn't have been made a security officer if he didn't know the basics of his job, and not transmitting strategically important data to strangers with unknown intentions certainly qualified. But what did that radio silence mean?

The PDA emitted a slight blip, notifying him about the incoming call. Jonathan. Of course. The scout tried to track the rover down, but they were both conscious of the probability to catch up to a fast-moving vehicle on foot. Still, there must have been a base that it was receiving the orders from. They could always try to locate that instead.

- Any luck?
- No sight of them, no. We have found a few signs that they passed through here. There are indications some of the Unity Pods landed in the area, but no sign of the pods themselves. I think we might know where it came from. Unless, of course, we are wrong, and that's where it is heading to... in which case we will find it anyway once it is on its way back. Not that I am very eager to meet them. Doubt any good will come out of it.
- What do you mean?
- If they were survivors like us, they would have answered already. There is no reason for them not to. It's not like their equipment is broken - you've seen it that they can hear us just fine, and someone was issuing orders to that rover when I first spotted it. Now, I am paranoid and all, but I only know one faction that would be uninterested in the contact.
- The ones who killed the captain and sabotaged the ship?
- Precisely. Either that, or... - Jonathan trails off.
- Don't you stop now. - He suspected what would come next.
- Or they could have fallen to 'It'.
- Nonsense, - the Chairman's brows furrowed. - Don't even start. The revenants are mindless. They do not possess the mental capabilities to drive a vehicle or to access the Datalinks. They can not survive for more than a week - the larvae would eat their brains out.
- The boils do not need the larvae for people to start shooting each other or lower their defenses. If one is to encounter a big enough boil, who's to say what is going to happen?
- None of the ones we've found so far were big enough to allow for a full mind control of a single human, much less a whole population.
- Do we know this would always be the case?
- Enough! This is getting ridiculous!

"No," the Chairman thought to himself. "No, we do not."

The Chairman was woken up in the middle of his meditation. The PDA was bursting with beeps - a sign of an urgent matter demanding his immediate attention. Sighing, the Chairman turned the comm on.

- Contact! We've got contact! - the excitement radiating from the Chairman's assistant on the other side was palpable. - There is a reply!!
- Patch it through. - After a year spent in waiting, the question that was depriving him of sleep was finally going to be answered. This was easily the most important event since their arrival to the planet.

There were not a lot of words in this one. In fact, there were only two.

"We decline."

M.Y. 2118. We have located another survivor, and they have proven... uncooperative. Are they the terrorists who blew up the ship? Are they the agents of ITZ? Or are they just in a bad mood?

I guess we will find out soon.
soon_cat_by_huskyfish-d6g1qoe.jpg

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
The placements I use are planned around using the same resourse by 3 to 4 bases, because resourses are rare.
Not sure I get it, you mean you switch tiles for every base every turn so they would grow faster by using same resource?

nvm I've read previous LP. I didn't even know you can do it like that

:dead:

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Chairman Nevill lay in the rejuvenation tank. As much as he tried to turn his faction into a well-oiled machine - which, first and foremost, required that it had no irreplaceable parts - there was still one detail he could not find an alternative to. The leader. Himself. There simply was no suitable heir to lead the colony if anything happened to him. Perhaps one day Jonathan could... the Chairman sure hoped so, because otherwise he would have to grow his replacement in a test-tube, and their science wasn't anywhere near as advanced as that. And so there he lay, going through the lengthy procedure he had to waste time on every ten years.

But there was also another reason.

It always came to him in his dreams. He never told anyone about any of it, though, not even Jon. It would not bode well for his leadership if they knew that the old man was hearing voices in his head, nevermind if they suspected that he let it affect his decisions. He tried to shut it down to the best of his abilities, and for the most part the superior mental training allowed him that, but today there was something he needed to know. And for that, he had to let it into his mind.

- <Pop!>
- It's you.
- dreaming we. dreaming you. meeting again we.
- Great. Who are you, again?
- who. difficult concept for we, earthnevill. mind and flower: many dreamings. never before another. you may call we 'voice.' growth dream comes! beware.
- Beware? Beware of what, Voice?
- ache of slumber broken. earthnevill is animal we. stranger we. animal: energy! mines! roads! sensors! drill! nag! disturb!

Wait, sensors? As big as the Hive territory got lately, their workers were yet to build one. Was the Voice referring to other factions?

- You're talking about the others of my kind, Voice. Who else survived?
- many feel we. some friend. some angry. earthcassidy, earthdeirdre... earthkalin.
- Kalin? What do you know of CEO Kalin? Did you meet him, too?
- breakers of flower dream. end of joy. confused we. pruned we several large infestations human nodes. now bother we no more.
- Do you control him? - this needed to be settled once and for all.
- speak we. dream we. sing we. we we we we we we we we we
- Answer me, Voice!
- <Pop!> - and with that the communication ceased and he was staring at the lid of the tank again.

Cold sweat ran down the Chairman's neck. The Voice was in contact with the others, of that there was no doubt. But what did that mean? After all, he was in contact with it, too, and nothing out of the ordinary happened to him so far... But then again, he had special training as a chief of security. Others might not be so lucky, they might not know how to resist this thing, how to drown out its whispers. What would happen with them were they to be compromised? Would they go mad? Would they turn into living puppets for the flower God?

He didn't know. The thing was completely alien. Incomprehensible. That's what scared him the most.

His thoughts were interrupted by the wailing of his PDU. Jonathan was on the private channel.
- The Kalinites are attacking! I repeat, the Kalinites are attacking! We have taken position in the mountains, but they still run their rovers after us, wave after wave, despite horrible casualties. We need reinforcements, I repeat, we need reinforcements!

The Chairman told him to hold the line and sent the backup right away, but it was too late. By the time the help arrived, there were only burnt up bodies and smoking car carcasses left at the site of battle. They have located the last enemy vehicle limping on three wheels, but it blew up before they could take prisoners for interrogation.

It made no sense. The few broadcasts of Kalinite soldiers they've picked up over the years decried the lack of military funding that went to fill the pockets of a few CEOs running the enterprise instead. Unless this was an elaborate ruse - and the Chairman strongly doubted that - waging war with the resourses they had was not simply infeasible. It was suicidal. Meaningless. Incomprehensible.

Incomprehensible?

There was only one way to answer to the question that burned in his mind. Kalin Industries had to be captured, and CEO Kalin brought to the labs for examination. There was no other option.
M.Y. 2140. The Kalinite attack was repelled decisively, and they have yet to comment on what caused this abrupt fit of violence. Neither have they offered any kind of compensation to the families of the scouts who died in the battle. Are they compromised after all, or is it just a paranoia of an old security chief fueled by nightmarish visions of fungal blooms? Maybe it's the Chairman who got driven mad by the Voice?

Find out in the next episode of the series!
soon-baby-soon.jpg

Last edited:

Hellraiser

Arcane

Ex-Cathedra

...simul cum Eva Petrenko
Season 10 (MY 2140) Episode 16

Ex%20Cathedra%20II%201a.png~original

Salutations, my name is Eva Petrenko. Welcome to this week's episode of Ex-Cathedra, the scholar's source of rational news coverage.

Ex%20Cathedra%20II%201b.png~original

Five years since its launch the UNV Curiositas continues to explores the seas surrounding Alpha. So far it has mapped the entirety of Picon Mare, locating precious unity supply pods drifting amidst the waves. It will now continue towards Caladan Mare, where it is hoped it will discover a new continent or more useful resources to aid our struggle against Man's ignorance.

Despite reaching out further into the unknown corners of Chiron than any expedition before it, the Curiositas has not encountered any other survivors of Planetfall nor any signs of other human life. Both the Provost and the Faculty express hopes that other peaceful, forward-thinking and rational people have survived Planetfall. At the same time it is hoped the backwards, ignorant and superstitious element has been removed from the Homo Sapiens gene pool.

Ex%20Cathedra%20II%201c.png~original

Following the erection of new recycling vats, University Base, Zoloto-Gold and Monitoring Station enjoy a reduction in scarcity of all vital resources. This in turn propelled the colonization effort forward, securing many of the resources discovered in prior decades by the Explorator teams. With 40 years since Planetfall behind us, the University is now in a position where it can be said with 99% certainty that it will survive despite the natural hazards present on Planet. Mindworm encounters have been few and far between, with Verminator squads quickly dispatching the indigenous threat. Focus is as always on research with major breakthroughs looming over the horizon, ensuring that the University leads in Man's strive for knowledge. Lab output is fuelled by increase energy input, provided by the taming of Enterprise Fluminis and Battlestar Galactica Fluminis, new solar farms and forest, as well as local geothermal energy resources.

This has been all for this week's nodecast. I have been Eva Petrenko, live long and prosper.

damnitdeidre.png~original

Fuck you AI Deidre! Beaten by fucking hippies by so little! Why the fuck does the AI build a foil so soon anyway?

Power Ranking 2140

ranking2140.png~original

Up until not so far ago, it was me and Nevill fighting for top position. This has changed, as Nevill is expanding as much as he can. It is difficult to out-expand the Hive when it is already running its much favoured Police+Planned. 3 Growth and 2 Industry will give him an edge for the near future. As will his superior Police rating. With my breakthrough on this turn, I managed to get back into leading tech position, where I expect to stay for the rest of the game unless ITZ comes or somebody snowballs out of control.

The good news is at least I am not the one bordering the Hive. I am eager to see how the Morgan-Hive war plays out. I just hope it doesn't end in a stomp by the Hive or we may be forced to ban Nevill instead of crawlers next game...

:troll:

jeroendstout

Educated
I must admit I do not really post on this forum, but I am always looking for PBEM SMAC games and this thread is super-recent compared to some I have seen. So I would be interested in participating at some point, or playing a 1v1 in any case.

I am also turning my SMAC experiences into a YouTube series, so that might be nice for quite a few opponents (there's no real multiplayer series of SMAC on YouTube).

... I hope I am not breaking any rules of the forum by posting this, I am honestly just desperate to find players at this point ;)

Nevill

Arcane
Nah. Always good to see a fellow SMAC player.

I can oblige a 1v1 right away, or you can start a new thread, state the number of people you want to play with, and wait for the positions to fill. Or you can do both.

Keep in mind, though, that I play with few restraints - I will uphold my agreements when it suits my agenda, and will lie, backstab and misinform you when it suits me better. Should not be a problem in a 1v1 when we are enemies by default, but you've been warned. ;)

For a 1v1 I might suggest a start via TCP/IP (through say, Hamachi) to get a quick start. You can get up to turn 30 within an hour, and then switch to PBEM from there.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
What kind of game are you looking for? Our last game fizzled out due to vastly different play-styles, player expectations, and skill levels. I wouldn't want something similar to happen. But yeah, what Nevill said. no harm in starting a new thread to try setting up what you want.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom