Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Let's catch plasma in Xenonauts: an Ironman LP

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Promotion? Must be because I make such good target practice for the xeno invaders.

There's, what 15 or 18 slots in the initial dropship. The best mod would have been one which bumped up the capacity to that many and make the aliens deadlier to match.

That's the biggest place where X-COM is superior in my opinion.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Like I said earlier, it would seem that the casualty rate (or the possibility of injury vs. death) has been tweaked a lot. You used to get a lot more KIAs when a character was downed, I think.

Update 15: I Need Your Clothes, Your Boots & Your Motorcycle

16th Oct

The Sebillian soldier to the south comes under MG fire from Gregorz, taking it out of the fight, but a Soldier north-east of our drop site gives Night Goat some tender loving care with a plasma shotgun at rather long range. I thought he was deep in cover, but that didn't help him.
muxIocQ.jpg

Stechyo scores the killing blow as our entire squad faces up to the single Xenos. Leaving overwatch on the forest to the north, the only entrance to the other half of the map is below a concrete wall leading to the crashed UFO.
D5O9VjX.jpg

A strong overwatch threatens any aliens that exit the craft, but our attempts to breach suffer an early setback when Dextermorgan gets KO'd by a facehugger thrown from an unseen egg.
ghDgqcR.jpg

Quilty does her best to cause some blue-on-blue, but her pistol is so weak it can't penetrate from behind. The firing squad, 5 strong, starts winning the firefight, reaction fire killing one Sebillian as it tries to fire on our bros. Meanwhile, a Gargol sweeps in north of the bus.
BCPwnHU.jpg

Not exactly the wisest move.
Bh3XqUl.jpg

Grimgravy comes in for the surprise of a lifetime as his frag grenade, aimed for the egg, blasts open the concrete barrier, exposing him to a ambushing lizardman.
hyeOBr8.jpg

Protected by shock and smoke, he acquaints himself well in what I believe is his first combat mission, first blasting his immediate enemy and then leading the charge to capture the UFO.
elNM3Kq.jpg

Strong showing from the rookie :salute:
JSbvXKt.png

Designated UFO-27 keeps landing to evade our fighters, or perform some nefarious task. Meanwhile we land in central America for another show of force.
QmPLxqE.jpg

jUpDhKt.png

:rage:

I'VE ONLY GOT FUCKING BASIC WEAPONS, AND I'M FIGHTING ANDRONS!?!?!?

Last edited:
Update 16: Death Or Glory

16th Oct

The green Andron ignores our rifle fire to turn and destroy an unfortunate cop, giving us the time to dismount under smoke.
cZw4dGY.jpg

That time gifted to us wasn't enough and Night Goat, already wounded, takes a hit through the smoke before another round of Ashery's sniper rifle finally takes down the robot.
yBPKFuT.jpg

Pushing south towards the car park visible, we spot another Andron in the clearing just across this concrete barrier.
A3WCoN7.jpg

At XTREME range a Cyberdisc stops in the opening of a machine shop and Ashery gives it the good news.
GkbXW75.png

A new class of Andron carrying a new weapon spots Gregsy lurking in the guardroom and blows open the wall with some sort of plasma blast weapon!
iD9UYeT.jpg

Squad broken! She drops her weapon and flees straight into the path of the approaching drone that'd flown in, blasting apart Quincy's shield, suppressing her, and even glancing Ashery.
qRFAiyi.jpg

:negative: You fool!
CTw53Vf.jpg

One big gun completely block for LOS and the other fleeing for her life, we lay down a smokescreen an armour the two bros under the cosh with a prayer.
Ky6pW0h.jpg

RIP eklektyk :salute:
0fgsDtG.jpg

As Gregsy drops, Ashery pulls the trigger. Take note Azira - this is the fate of all cowards.
wwG88Zr.jpg

Last edited:

Alex Heartnet

Educated
...Did you seriously just try a pincer attack against that corvette in Chapter 13? Having a pair of fighters coming at the corvette from opposite sides can end surprisingly poorly.

...Did you seriously just try a pincer attack against that corvette in Chapter 13? Having a pair of fighters coming at the corvette from opposite sides can end surprisingly poorly.
I've got balls of steel :smug:

It wasn't really a pincer attack, UFOs now are much more aware of you trying to get in behind them.

Survived a facehugger attack? When did we acquire the technology to remove these horrors?
It looks like a facehugger, it comes from an egg, and it keeps taking ssoldiers out of action in one hit. Theycall it a spine pprojector or some shit, but we all know what it really is :M

lightbane

Arcane
It's seems Xenonauts soldiers, in spite of being taken down constantly, have an extremely high survival instinct. That, or the mod you're using tweaked the "roll a dice to check if a downed soldier dies or is "just" wounded" mechanic. Speaking of which, is there a mod and/or a way to bring back the chance of surviving Reaper and plasma cannon attacks? That happened sometimes during the beta and it was funny as hell, but sadly, it was removed for the final game.

Possibly, bro. Most times a soldier has gone down in this LP has been to weaponry designed to incapacitate not kill. I'll only call a RIP if they've actually been reduced to 0 HP.

Update 17: Glory & Death

16th Oct - 16th Oct

There's no time to mourn our fallen comrade despite the glorious reaction fire from Ashery. Bane pops out the pin and removes the Xenos' cover.
Q5cxqqH.jpg

Grimgravy's nerve falters when the grenade goes off, and with it comes a horrible
realisation that we really do not have the right guns for the job.
ZivD03O.jpg

Stechyo, moving into a clean firing position, discovers that these new aliens have decent reactions. We're finding out that Ashery's sniper rifle is the only way to really penetrate the armour of these things, but one bullet just isn't cutting it.
Realising someone has to die, Quilty levels her pistol at the Andron, the 9mm rounds bouncing harmlessly off it but holding its attention and saving Grimgravy.
4c9unvB.jpg

RIP Quilty :salute:
4SXtJar.jpg

:x Hemorrhaging massively from ass and legs, Stechyo makes the amazing decision to drop weapons and run away rather than hunker down and try to stop the bleeding!
Xkjiwar.jpg

Ashery pulls it out of the hat - landing two snap shots to end the immediate threat.
waPtX2B.jpg

We managed to get help to Stechyo in time, saving his life
despite his best efforts.
e9bfkd2.jpg

There's at least one more alien down here, and I really have no desire to punch out into unknown territory. We're fucking off to where there's more cover.
wRtleun.jpg

All the way to the UFO that was parked opposite this little office block :smug:
wEwHpd7.jpg

Knock knock motherfuckers!
:yeah:
WBo6Iev.png

There's another terminator overlooking the street, but we ignore it and get ready to dive into the UFO in force.
iHiZO51.jpg

One enemy sighted.
enHeXvC.jpg

Make that two, and this one a lot more dangerous than the first.
SfyXjYd.jpg

The buckshot of his shotgun not doing much good, Grimgravy resorts to grenades - damage to tech be damned!
LEdCn6e.jpg

The internal doors don't close fast enough to prevent our wounded Xenonauts from coming under automatic fire,
suppressing half of our remaining bros.
xfND96W.jpg

Night Goat survives the plasma burns and then ensuing bleeding without causing a fuss. Brass balls, bro :salute:
EYXix06.jpg

Stechyo destroys the green machine leaving us with a 6-on-1 scenario.
6KulSPs.jpg

Oh, great, it has a grenade launcher.
EUw3run.jpg

Our assault rifles are doing fuck all!
eEyqBJu.jpg

RIP Night Goat :salute:
SJQCi6Q.jpg

Weakened by multiple grenades and its own weapons system, we finally end the threat after Ashery makes a shot that seems to defy physics.
Tn2aE4O.jpg

Everyone left has taken some hits and we can't muster a single full medkit between us. I don't know how many aliens are left alive out there, and I have no intention of finding out.
rHPswp0.jpg

Sitting tight, we occupy the UFO and wait for the local forces to arrive.
0IVAzuc.png

Last edited:

Quilty

Magister
A hero's death...I guess? Anyway, I am proud to have served. Thank you for the opportunity and fight on, commander!

Update 18: More Dakka

16th Oct - 22nd Oct

After a long stakeout, we finally take down the landed UFO and nuke the site from orbit.
4nzh8D0.png

As you guys recoup, get mortalled and tour brothels our scientists are hard at work examining what we dragged home from the crashsite.
ZHc1a3O.png

And, at long last, they come up with something material! While an upgrade to our pistols isn't something I placed a high priority on I'm not going to complain. Though a .45 automatic being held in one hand doesn't really sound ergonomic.
0xo23Xw.png

:nocountryforshitposters: These cunts don't know when to quit, and each time there seems to be more of them.
NeywBaN.jpg

General Discussion is coming along nicely, developing well into a fully fledged base.
q5QoBn9.png

A new class of UFO is tearing shit up in Australia, but we clear up in Europe and the Middle East.
ulJAoT8.jpg

4 missions in quick succession. Are you bros bro enough to get the job done? :smug:
HKcqVvY.png

Initial contact is mostly eggs, the main body of our force moving carefully down - but get spotted and have a stun grenade lobbed over the southern carriage at them.
LoD38O7.jpg

Ulminati failed his reflex save trying to get to the windows, dropping like a sack of spuds.
oJ5D7D1.jpg

Azira sends his regards to our engineers. This new weapon should be a hit if given to someone who can shoot straight :smug:
gELCnqT.jpg

...okay, time to get the fuck out.
iZxmVX9.jpg

Dextermorgan owes his anal virginity to his lack of personal hygiene - the Viper preferring the sweet flesh of the cop.
js7CIJM.jpg

Running out into the open, it shrugged off a shitload of rifle fire before Nevill claims a kill in his first ever mission.
uNsf5YB.jpg

Caesuns with Vortex Launchers popping out at all angles! The Brazilian Slaughter goes to his happy place before Ashery sends his attacker to a very bad place.
Jsr3bR2.jpg

Hoverdog finds the other Viper trying to loop all the way around us. Her shotgun completely whiffs and she gets the hell out. Azira loses his duel with a Xenos, KO'd by the gas left behind from the blasts and grenades.
0iowAnQ.jpg

Gaius Maximus is made of sterner stuff, paying his pound of flesh in full before blowing the Caesun limb from limb with a single rocket.
P2BAY67.jpg

If Vipers were as good at killing us as they are at sneaking into the most unbelievable of locations, we'd be fucked.
6zrZr4R.jpg

Only a couple of aliens remain. With some medical assistance our soldiers make it back up onto their feet, Ulminati scoring the final kill to end the mission.
JUaKWJ1.jpg

And with that, I am completely up to date with the game :)

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yay! I am finally in business! :bounce:

Running out into the open, it shrugged off a shitload of rifle fire before Nevill claims a kill in his first ever mission.
Imagine what I could do if I had a whole rocket launcher to myself! :negative:

Nevill

Arcane
I have participated in about 3 or 4 X-COM LPs as a rookie. Died on the first mission every single time.

You broke the Codexian tradition! :argh:

Update 19: Third Time's The Charm

22nd Oct

Hmm. This place seems familiar. Fuck this map variety, I'm going to be sorting this out as soon as possible - if I can without ruining the save file
:rpgcodex:
ZZgokIb.jpg

Gaius Maximus and Ashery are combining very well, rockets setting the reptiles up for a headshot to finish them up.
NMjTW8D.png

Catching sounds and glimpses of the Gargol as it barreled through walls, we were able to predict where it would come out - Azira positioning his shield beneath its fists.
i4WRlzF.jpg

We rip through the map and turn out attention to some cysts we found earlier in the mission.
jNMA5SZ.jpg

Unhappy with the ease at which we're fucking shit up, canine-hating Ulminati gives Hoverdog some third-degree burns.
k4sAbYS.jpg

While setting up outside the UFO, Ashery kills a Sebillian soldier with some quality reaction fire before Nevill follows up to finish the battle.
40isYxz.png

Round 3! Fight!
TMdmUiB.jpg

Oh for fucks sake, we've also already done this map!
BwbUIH1.jpg

:incline: I'm putting this kill completely down the the new pistol, not Azira.
TIKfcSf.jpg

Dextermorgan and Ashery set up shop on a handy Iso-container, supporting us pretty much everywhere on the map with some accurate fire.
PiBkpWH.jpg

Hoverdog's Jackal Armour is put to the test as a Xenos does a suicide run to put a single plasma rifle shot into her chest. She puts it in its place right after.
koBblW5.jpg

Azira was KO'd by a egg for the second mission running, making out assault a lot more risky.
ogRuzuF.jpg

It's too much for Hoverdog and The Brazilian Slaughter, who fall to the floor.
fJTvwg8.jpg

But we didn't need them at this point, finishing off the last remaining alien without any further problems.
Nra0nWT.png

Dropped off in a field to the south-east of the UFO, we disembark without much problem as the local yokels fight in our stead.
8i6ychF.jpg

The open ground suits us and we don't have a big problem. Ulminati and Hoverdog work in concert to start working our way into the paved barns to the south. But a Soldier with a plasma shotgun turns that on its head, dishing Dextermorgan a painful blow from a good distance away.
cRS8NfQ.png

Azira blocks a vortex shot with his shield, but he's starting to get whittled down by the events of the day.
KyWkNwP.jpg

Armed with his trusty flamer, Ulminati doesn't afraid of anything, scouting ahead of the pack.
Kqg2TYI.jpg

Yeah, that's right :smug:
rGzcOeR.jpg

Before the crashed UFO is a fairly sparse field with a few fallen logs and rocks for cover. With this in mind, we revert to our size 90mm master key.
ChndIfZ.jpg

One day, Azira, you might make it through a mission :roll:
9HyHu66.jpg

Unable to get Ashery and Nevill setup to shoot intside the UFO without exposing them completely, Gaius Maximus shoots a rocket into the alien craft.
of9t2j9.jpg

...Or that was the plan. Goddammit, man!
WbfOAcL.jpg

RIP The Brazilian Slaughter :salute:
PYvlwtg.jpg

Routine missions, eh?
6fmXjaZ.png

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
...Or that was the plan. Goddammit, man!
That's why I wanted to carry a rocket launcher! :rpgcodex:

What's my medal for?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom