Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Let's catch plasma in Xenonauts: an Ironman LP

eklektyk

Erudite
i really like mods level of dificulty :)
it reminds me of my youth wasted in terror from the deep and tender embraces with lobsters ...

Baron Dupek

Arcane
And here we are, at the infamous 3rd page, with first bag filled with burned out meat.
disgonnabgud.bmp

Update 5: Definitely Not A Floater

12th Sep - 17th Sep

In the grim darkness of the 70's, there can only be war between the stars.
bsiiN1S.png

Our bases expand, a batch of fresh scientists rocking up and our Cheburashka finally getting a proper workout.
WxesI6F.png

No tactics here. Overburners on and charge!
IvHY5Qm.png

Exchanging missiles and plasma, our fighter ducks behind the UFO and rips it to shreds.
bnolWNe.png

I'm going to strangle our fucking pilot! He dropped us right into it, the buildings all along the south offering the perfect cover for any Xenos lurking in ambush.
rjhHkvc.jpg

We disembark as rapidly as we can, stacking up on the walls of the surrounding compounds.
bsQ0AZ9.jpg

They're packing psionics on that ship.
hDDr3Nf.jpg

Luckily there's some handy meatshields to show us where they could be at.
cejaxN9.jpg

Far to the west, Fettel can spot a Caesun hidden in a building. Our rocket launcher is on the other side of the map and I see no other easy way of getting to it.
TiCkMId.jpg

We're unable to draw a good line of sight, and we don't have the luxury of letting a single alien pin down our whole team...
XHTj6pR.jpg

Dextermorgan goes pointman, crossing the parking pay to get into cover behind the pipes...
k60wb1w.jpg

Her sacrifice lured it out into the open, but we're now already a man short.
TTgp5sO.jpg

A Floateralien with a jetpack floats onto the roof after taking a potshot at Ashery.
NJlaT9w.png

The majority of the squad start to shift left, but we're exposed from a lot of angles.
0uIlFWt.jpg

Local forces are still absorbing the worst of the enemy fire, buying us time with blood.
HOmaHLq.jpg

Oh fuck. There's too many buildings to keep track of this little creature.
tNdhXjI.jpg

Milven holds the southern line.
5RdJFh7.jpg

Ashery had a clean shot on this bastard but missed the head, Paxton Fettel bearing the brunt of some criminal inaccuracy.
khy6GBI.jpg

There's no end of them!
kLBk8fq.png

Milven takes the blast and manages to stay on her feet.
9K7ukDQ.jpg

Too late for poor Paxton, but Ashery cleans up our flank.
gfE4Zei.jpg

Ulminati is going solo on our left flank, keeping eyes on. There's no way we can push blind down this alley and there's still a egg in the garage that we haven't been able to clear yet.
q9V5wLA.jpg

This Viper is way too close for comfort. It needs to die, quick.
VWAtf5C.jpg

Thankfully it makes doing that a whole lot easier, charging out the door into a crack of reaction fire.
5zONu6b.jpg

Milven got sniped from the rooftop, her shield not protecting her at all from the Harridan's precision plasma rifle.
LQcvnPu.jpg

Vengence for our fallen comrade :salute:
BTgNVRy.jpg

OWE3q48.jpg

And smoke to cover our arses, something I'm realising I should be doing more and more of - even though it now hurts your Xenonauts to move and stand in, even knocking them unconscious.
5bQDJ08.jpg

Ulminati finally gets some action after lurking in the shadows for the entire mission.
K3xQm4Y.jpg

Gregsy poaches another kill. I reckon that's them all, then out of the blue...
eLBCiS9.jpg

XJiEY9d.jpg

Asfasdf is a gentleman, closing the door for Gregsy. Ashery had just moved into the perfect vantage position, popping the mole.
8aHBc2L.jpg

Ulminati doesn't have such a white knight and gets his face hugged as we sweep through the buildings.
bg2JQX9.jpg

Our band of bros reduced to 4, we try to advance on the UFO as carefully as possible.
iM706kT.jpg

But we're greeted by the psion with a faceful of plasma.
tE6tzw2.jpg

I call fucking bullshit on this :x
i7XCMt2.jpg

qiGIH8W.jpg

The final xenos gets flashed by Ashery and blasted into bits.
wICc0LW.jpg

RIP MilvenTheDwarf :salute:
liMtjQK.png

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Fok, tis was close I almost started writing memorial speech, about my teamwork and covering ur asses with minor freindly fire scratches
PS. Installed the game, now gonna find some cool minor mods, like magnum revolver and ak-47 for replacement.

Update 6: Cleanse & Purify

17th Sep - 20th Sep

The date is 19th September 1979. A swarm of UFOs have been caught on radar about Europe.
BuSlB6f.png

The Condors chase down one over Libya and our Cheburashka takes down the Scout in Finland.
Mxnh9ov.png

It doesn't go well, we lose a Condor in contact and I quickly get on the net to the workshop ordering them to build the M2X Apollo.
PF16Zyu.png

H-hour approaches for the squad as they make their final checks and preparations for combat, checking their weapons over and praying to whatever god they worship.
ZjK8KOj.png

Hope you packed warm kit :smug:
BNqa9pW.jpg

Keeping one foot on the ground, we fire manouver out of the Charlie and deploy a great big smokescreen.
bQqRoe0.jpg

DYfdQKf.jpg

Further to the south we can see the smashed open hull of the UFO, a Caesun with a shotgun defending it.
pYIVed3.jpg

OKtiNvy.jpg

We discover a Viper, one tough bastard that sucks up every single shot like a champ, forcing us to use the big gun.
VbYpiF7.jpg

cnsbScv.jpg

Spreading outselves over the northern edge of the map, there is very little cover to advance, only a few rock structures to the west that this Viper is running behind.
XS6GL5B.jpg

Paxton Fettel comes under fire from his left, Ashery spots and removes the problem with a sweet reaction shot.
axBL3xy.jpg

9GIwu5G.jpg

:smug:
OHIF6cH.png

On the Western front, things don't go quite as swimmingly.
WcsTX1o.jpg

Gaius Maximus hates rocks more than cute feline aliens and it seems Dextermorgan is a treekiller.
rd276kg.jpg

With our final TUs, asfasdf primes a grenade.
iFZbHUo.jpg

With the gaping wound in the side of the alien craft, we stand off and keep pouring in fire. It takes time at these extreme ranges, but it works.
wEnxbrC.jpg

Assault team preps for breaching.
6UPaX9I.jpg

KMrCW4k.jpg

And with that glorious double kill, it's game over man.
ov1sNII.png

Round 2! Fight!
UGbzvDJ.png

Two compounds above us and a large open space to our right. We were dropped bottom-left corner.
HuZv3Pa.jpg

Sebillians. Not sure which I hate more.
zHUHi0n.jpg

ALCRaFW.jpg

wfoESd4.jpg

The lizzie killed the local and advanced close to where we were lurking around the corner.
nTaIqj5.jpg

Dextermorgan produces the sum of sweet fuck all and up steps Gaius Maximus...
EkXcTjZ.jpg

You crazy fool! :x
EkXcTjZ.jpg

HKfodbW.jpg

asfasdf scouts right, spotting for Ashery.
YeY1K91.jpg

cnsapwE.jpg

RIP Gaius maximus :salute:

I'm not even sure if this is revenge for our rocketeers death.
gJ9fEsn.jpg

Lizard in the courtyard, not a pressing concern at this very moment.
yXBgh7u.jpg

asfasdf baits this one into staying in position, keeping it in Ashery's sights.
RQZcMV3.jpg

iS6N9vQ.png

:x

x18Aysu.png

Gregsy smashes a Sebillian techie.

We catch up to dealing with the centrepiece.
MvrrpSI.jpg

UNXZmeF.jpg

Night Goat hammers the point home.

Ashery moves forward into an elevated position overlooking a marketplace and the entrance to the UFO.
fToYeft.jpg

Thinking line of sight was broken, I was very surprised when...
IQXXuS8.jpg

:rage:
5uevbAV.jpg

RIP asfasdf :salute:

Ashery and Fettel both have clear arcs on the gateway, putting a heavy rate of fire on anything moving.
VfC9Jhm.jpg

EsqVNal.jpg

Uminati tries to roast the Sebillian, but there's so little napalm that actually makes it through the window.
l1w36SI.jpg

Aliens keep pouring out of the downed craft into our reaction fire.
xAybzjd.jpg

oyeudod.jpg

The sapling Dextermorgan was using for cover gets blown away, scaring the fuck out of her.

Ulminati slipped between the two buildings, preparing to assault next turn, when...
u2ZdfNb.jpg

ocURMaz.jpg

XyfVIM8.jpg

Payback time :smug:
498XEUV.jpg

X2yjRJN.jpg

Time to breach and clear.
iOzOMO6.jpg

Sfc2cBA.png

And I thought Saving Throws vs Death were a thing of the past :smug:

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Seven wounds, ouch.
Rip in pesos.

Cold winter empty space. No civies survived? What civies?

PS. I like my portrait, remind me of the inane times on Planet Alcatraz
:prosper:

:necro:

Update 7: I Aten't dead

20th Sep - 25th Sep

The aftermath of our previous missions is a absolute avalanche of acquisitions. First off, our engineers complete the finishing touches of our Apollo.
2B3c9We.png

Private Hoverdog here can handle my shotgun any time :smug: In addition we welcome Stechyo, Azira, Jester, Serratedbitz and Dead Guy to the team.
hz6dmwx.png

With all our hangars full, we start the process of transferring some air power to North America.
PYP1W3b.png

Our pilots get the call as a couple of UFOs appear in the atmosphere.
6jwqVee.png

Cheburashka-1 scores a double kill after Apollo-1 harries the Scout craft down across Brazil. I'm thinking she'll deserve a name after getting re-armed :smug:
CjpDuoZ.jpg

We didn't quite make the crash site before dusk, but we disembark without any dramas. A few rookies are going to get their first taste of combat.
UazTbPs.jpg

With zero movement to the north, most of our squad engage two Sebillians in the open.
ItL34zv.jpg

Dextermorgan takes down the first with a single aimed shot to the head before Ashery does the honours and covers Serratedbitz with smoke.
am4cxps.jpg

Ashery poaches a couple more eggs :smug:
dxel5f3.jpg

We keep an over watch on the hedgerow as we take the field up north.
rz7oDQk.jpg

Dead Guy gets his first kill :incline:
i8FiuCV.jpg

The lizard in the garage above us tried to be an hero and go solo against our gun line. Blowing away its cover with frag grenades, we kill it no problem.
WBTDlHP.jpg

Our advance is relentless.
pxr38xA.jpg

Oh hai guise!
O6jilRe.jpg

Setting up a firing squad behind the hedgeline, when the Gargol was spotted by Azira we tore down our cover and unleashed hell.
J0poChH.jpg

I'd hoped for more than a single kill from our ambush, guess we'll be doing this the old fashioned way.
zQ8Gs93.jpg

One reptile pops up out of the blue, but our Gregsy is in the perfect position to DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA
SUIgjBk.jpg

Fettel joins in on the action.
XueNhFs.jpg

Sadly that sparks the end of things going all our way.
BbMzh3h.jpg

Azira and Hoverdog are both rendered out of action from the blast.
iXZ90rJ.jpg

Vengeance is claimed and we move up to breach.
OjpAVit.jpg

Things go sour when the doors open and Serratedbitz gets hammered by bursts of plasma, annihilating his shield and most of his chest :salute:
IGSBq4J.jpg

With Serratedbitz still bleeding out on the floor, we open the doors and finish the mission.
ThaufeR.jpg

Back home for tea and medals :smug:
8gqUvk6.png

Sorry, I lied :M
ujXpine.jpg

Massive compound north of our landing site, more lizards to murder.
U7d5fD4.jpg

Fuck me sideways, this guard actually kills the bastard!
N3njRZc.jpg

Ashery takes the walkway on the 2nd level, our other troops take the ground floor.
iq03TUG.png

Well shit, Ashery gets dropped before we've even really started. The bodies on the ground achieving the square root of fuck all.
ZFnPU1o.jpg

It's a bit fucking late lads :rpgcodex:
UnTKm7w.jpg

Gargol plus loads of cover equals us having a real bad day.
hkBygTQ.jpg

Good luck men.
a0g4L2Q.jpg

A couple of grenades destroy the surrounding crates and walls, an explosive start to the party!
WmaRcWF.jpg

We throw everything we have at the Gargol and it's not enough. Someone is going to die.
xdLvJ8u.jpg

...the fuck just happened?
LFIh3LR.jpg

Screams from behind as the mutant thing chows down on the guard, who served us like all men should serve us :salute:
iueaPWD.jpg

Dead Guy, after rushing to stabilize Ashery, has the perfect position to fire down from relative safety and end the abomination.
0Xhzpj2.jpg

Triumph is short lived, plasma raining down on Azira from outside the compound.
P364lbY.jpg

Cowards die in shame! :x
xZuVxSM.jpg

Azira, you survive this, and I'll personally wear you like a glove puppet :rpgcodex:
2gpcTS4.jpg

Well we managed to save his arse, but that Sebillian is behind such heavy cover we'll need a miracle to take him out without flanking.
KcDNud1.jpg

Gregsy and Fettel proceed to damn the odds and kill it anyway. That was at least 3 hits of 4%.
s0Pa9PE.jpg

Fire from the east is a painful reminder, especially for Dead Guy, that there's still Xenos dotted around the area.
aRqDGLT.jpg

Azira, you absolute rat. If this is the best humanity can offer we're fucked as a species :rpgcodex:
URDuL4q.jpg

Lacking big guns, we're stuck in a weird situation where we can't punch a hole through the shell of this alien egg. Need Ashery's rifle, but I'm sure a hot potato will sort it out.
6jMN1a4.jpg

Oh for fucks sake :x
LMPS9TZ.jpg

Pop smoke, leg it!
T5C5L75.jpg

Dextermorgan falls from his injuries and with the help of smoke, Hoverdog dodges return fire to live another day.
IJtbZJX.jpg

I make the tough call to leave Dextermorgan bleeding out in the smoke and fire in order to save Hoverdog :salute:
yXlcjLA.jpg

Here comes the cavalry.
cx1Ozgj.jpg

Now comes the boring part of cleansing the rest of the map and then purging the UFO.
gHV8a3l.jpg

Welp, we're gonna need more guns :M
qh05LzG.jpg

Step 1: open up with a flashbang.
LJTXD7S.jpg

Step 2: shoot everything in sight.
yPUI64F.jpg

Step 3: throw some smoke grenades so we don't all die when it's their turn :M
44h8HPb.jpg

No words. No fucking words :rpgcodex:
t7fdIwL.jpg

Paxton Fettel suppresses bods left, right and centre, severely blunting both forces.
3PROk2R.jpg

But eventually we grind them down.
CEPWE0d.jpg

Ok, seriously, tea and medals once we're off this Chinook :smug:
bjfD49d.png

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Yay! This lp is back! :incline: Wait what? 3 pages in and no-one suffered an horribly horrible death yet? And survived fatally wounds multiple times? I'm not sure if to call it :incline: or :decline:. Still, it was a fun read.

Update 8: No Man Left Behind

25th Sep - 2nd Oct

The lads finally get a few days of R&R while I get summoned before the shareholders. Soon we shall be able to dispense of them, but we aren't self-sufficient just yet.
uZCaCMC.png

To counter the biggest drop in funding, Australasia, I contract Cleve to make a secret underground lair in New Zealand.
A760OFL.png

So far our research has achieved the grand total of fuck all, but I'm liking the sound of that improved body armour.
bzwLR7I.png

It doesn't take long for more reports to filter in. Visual feedback from our pilots revealing that the Xenos have sent a new type of ship to the party.
vyv1XlP.png

Bigger than the Scout, we dance around its weapon arcs but run out of fuel before really doing much.
64tl8fG.png

The Corvette was just the vanguard of a new wave of UFO activity. Many Somalian pirates find an enemy that won't hesitate to gun them down :smug:
kOiGKHM.jpg

We couldn't stop them all, but we take out a couple of stragglers.
B5BmbAO.png

Disembarking with the speed of a thousand gazelles, I quickly regret this choice when the Sebillian Soldier weathers our rather inaccurate fire.
UHA0UWS.jpg

Ulminati rescues the day with holy promethium :incline:
e3NHvJy.jpg

As we move to secure our surrounds, a Gargol breaks through the wall - scaring the fuck out of dextermorgan, whose reaction fire kills the armed guard :M
A64Dzmy.jpg

Waste of fucking space :rpgcodex:
8qBaFX7.jpg

Grenades, bullets and napalm - Ashery takes out the Sebillian with a headshot, but the Gargol survives.
6ZaVmas.jpg

Maybe the aliens should remove their survival instincts :smug:
txR5yqg.jpg

Ulminati's love of fire grows too powerful and he manages to set himself ablaze. Gregsy is on hand to seal the deal.
6ftcgVo.jpg

Alright, Azira, you've a second chance to regain your Honour.
gZ07M6L.jpg

Dead Guy takes a few potshots, but Ulminati claims the kill after sweeping up the flank.
94ksyWM.jpg

Ashery catches a bomb to the face from a Sebillian emerging from the UFO, taking him out for the rest of this mission.
EzoFzQZ.jpg

Our riflemen and machine gunners are having an absolute mare, but automatic fire is effective at keeping the aliens suppressed.
vZ6gZ6r.jpg

The northern group encounter another Xenos, Ulminati popping into cover to reload while Azira braces. He may be a coward, but he can still catch a bullet :smug:
gdzN1oM.jpg

Well, one :M
5KvUyjY.jpg

Decent trade I'd say.
fnxsCGY.jpg

After a shitload of rounds smashing into and around it, our bros finally manage to score a single kill.
zUC0XR8.jpg

Night Goat takes up a wide arc on the UFO entrance...
ehxAiR1.jpg

...Almost paying the ultimate price :salute:
lHn8d73.png

Ulminati, with one burst left in his weapon system, makes it count.
HnL7vCz.jpg

0 deaths. $200,000 profit. A good day at the office.
tsdxk61.png

After a short stop in Retardoland to drop off the injured, we're back in the air again.
wNr527U.jpg

From our dropsite we can see an Alien Egg. Gaius Maximus, back in the team after blowing himself up, shows us what we've been missing, even catching a hiding Caesun in the blast.
DpGZPov.jpg

With no cover between the dropship and the building, we deploy smoke to protect our guys...
f4lE7Lo.jpg

...Which does fuck all when the Caesun throws a stun grenade right into the mouth of The Shoutbox.
YwieL7s.jpg

Make that two!
:rage:
txB5zR4.jpg

Didn't take long for this mission to go tits up.
hbmtG3y.jpg

Two shields, a shotgun and a rifle. Dead Guy gets the better of a Harridan, but doesn't quite have the firepower to kill it.
e1sFSP1.jpg

Still trying to deal with the sniper, Serratedbitz gets flanked by a Guard with a blaster and becomes the fifth man down.
cFPO8OT.jpg

asfasdf picked up a fallen comrades rifle and shows he's not a one weapon wonder.
L3QoxGA.jpg

Dead Guy hoys a grenade over the wall, but even a perfect throw wasn't good enough.
X9FUqLp.jpg

Shit. There's two Xenos with the same weapons system! I gambled on the one we saw being the same one that shot at Jester earlier.
CVtalxs.jpg

And then there were two. It's at this point the call to retreat is made. I don't think we'll be able to rescue Jester from where she fell, but we're going to give it a fucking go.
2DP4rJy.jpg

Advancing up onto the top of the house, asfasdf shoots down into the skull of our foe.
4vNO07T.jpg

Vipers are the least of our worries right now. We need to get out of here. Fast.
jmFJCJQ.jpg

Dead Guy cops it, just like Jester.
WIfCjgB.jpg

asfasdf can't quite make his shots count, ducking back behind the wall that had proved so useful against the Harridan.
jgJkmQj.jpg

But it's not enough :salute:
0GAjdJ3.jpg

Dead Guy, Jester, asfasdf, SerratedBiz - hope you enjoy anal probing :smug:
Iei53uS.png

Last edited:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Corporal Azira still serving, breaking and falling, but not out. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom