Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's blindly play Space 1889.

Black Cat

Magister
Miss Bee said:
So, anyone following this shit? Or should I just let this thread die without dignity?

No, no, no. You didn't just revive this one to show the world how indisciplined and unstable and undeserving of confidence the pretty and fluffy eared witch was just to leave it yourself two days later.

:rpgcodex:

It's win or die, now. ;)

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Miss Bee said:
So, anyone following this shit? Or should I just let this thread die without dignity?

*Munches popcorn*

Keep it coming Bee!

*munch* *munch* *munch*

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I saw a lurker the other day. Horrible creatures.

That said, thanks to those of you who showed their support, I luv y'all. :love:
And here's a little teaser personally for korenzel -- the spaceship aka "ether flyer" construction menu:

etherflyermenu.png

But we will only get to that in a few updates, I'm afraid. First we'll need to wrap up our business on Earth, as unexciting as it may sound to you.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So yeah, let's keep on blindly playing Space 1889. I'm totally playing this game so you totally don't have to.
This is more of a filler update, 'coz boy, this game has a slow start.

Update 5: New York to San Francisco

You are now leaving the London city limits, have a nice trip!

The world map in this game is funny. As in, you can get from Britain to Egypt on foot. There seem to be only two continents, one that is supposed to roughly correspond to America and the second one, to Eurasia, but they aren't as big as I hoped they would be. The cities on Earth are basically all the same in their design, with the exception of a few unique landmarks. Well, it's not like early top-down cRPGs could boast anything fancy in that regard at all. We'll see if that changes later, when we visit other planets.

Oh, and by the way, Black Cat-chan, I've been browsing readme.com and here's what I found:

You cannot recruit new players as stated on page 15 of the manual. This option was in the original design, but the designers felt that the game would be too easy to solve if you could always add new characters.

See, this game was made even more hardcore.

05space002.png

The small picture in the top left corner of the exploration screen changes depending on the area we're passing through. The one above is supposed to represent a desert. It's nowhere near as diverse as the similar feature in Sentinel Worlds I, though.

05space007.png

Occasionally, as you explore the map, you encounter the same shops you have inside the cities, like a weapon or a pawn shop, but there are also facilities like harbors (pictured above) or ether ports (one per planet, the manual tells us) that are unique to the world map.

05space010.png

At a harbor, we can acquire additional means of transportation, of which there are three: boats, zeppelins, and horses.

05space017.png

Horses make the land travel faster, but well, they are obviously no good if you want to cross the sea. (Note the small horse head icon in Miss Bee's character portrait.) Boats are kind of anti-horses: they let you cross the sea, but not the land.

05space037.png

That's why zeppelins are probably your best bet. When you choose to rent a zeppelin, the harborman asks you just how many days of travel you want to purchase.

05space039.png

And here we are. Looks fancy, doesn't it? It took me a good ten minutes or so to figure out how to exit the zeppelin exploration mode, though. Turns out you can only do that by returning the zeppelin to a harbor by entering it (or more like bumping into it) -- not every direction does the trick, however...

05space065.png

...but I've noticed that flying over the harbor diagonally from northwest to southeast always works like a charm. Yeah, I know: atrocious interface.

05space047.png

And don't worry about that days of travel thingy: any unspent days get refunded.

05space030.png

There are some animals wandering around the map, depending on the area. In Africa, you mostly get rhinos and lizards. You can even attempt engaging in rhino diplomacy, but get no response.

05space042.png

You can tell we're flying over America when there are Incas everywhere.

05space053.png

Or rather, Cherokee Scouts.

05space061.png

We also encounter an Alchemist's shop. The item selection here sure looks interesting.

SLEEP GAS. An extremely volatile liquid which induces unconsciousness when breathed in gaseous form. Within a few seconds of inhalation, the victim rapidly loses consciousness and will fall into alight sleep which will last one hour after the gas has dissipated. The victim will then awaken without ill effects. This gas can also be used as an improved anesthetic during surgical operations. One ounce of the liquid will vaporize in 10 minutes (or instantly, if sprayed) and fill an area 10 feet square to be effective density. Wt: 1 ounce Price: £1 per ounce.

ANTIBIOTIC. A substance with bactericidal properties that can be ingested by mouth, applied topically, or injected into the body using a hypodermic syringe. Severe infections and fevers can be cured within days using this compound. Wt: 10 doses per ounce. Price: £3 per dose.

WATER-BREATHER. A small device which permits the wearer to extract dissolved oxygen fmm water in a manner similar to a fish’s gills. It is a mask-like contraption which covers the mouth and nose, and enables normal underwater breathing for an indefinite period. The functional portion of the device is differentially permeable and constructed of an artificial cellulose-like material. Wt: 1 lb. Price: £12.

05space082.png

New York, yay.
There are four points of interest to us here: Crystal Palace, U.S. Army HQ, the Bar, and the Inn.

05space087.png

At the Crystal Palace, there are lots of merchants entrusting us with a ton of fetch quests.

05space088.png

All in all, we've been asked to retrieve: bogweed, moabite fire jewels, shell glands, gummy rubber, liftwood, threepwood, and bhutan spice. Whatever that all is.

05space099.png

Apart from the anonymous merchants, we're also asked to obtain shell glands from some Mercury crabs by Giorgio Polo. (I could barely make out his request at all, arrgh.) I must assume that, since he is a named NPC, giving the shell glands to him is going to be more profitable than to the anonymous merchant who also asked for them.

05space129.png

At the Bar, we listen as Jules the Bartender praises the beauty of the Crystal Palace...

05space133.png

...and meet Otto Strabismus who wants ca. 50 quid for the following piece of information:

05space142.png

Could be an important clue, I guess. The game seems to be slowly getting more interesting. (Right? Right?)

05space165.png

At the Inn, we hand the London Report to Hans Ogleby, as instructed, and he tells us we should pay a visit to one Johanssan in San Fransisco instead and hands us the letters of introduction.

05space170.png

Fair enough.

05space172.png

Another NPC we come across at the Inn is Frank Chadwick, who -- surprise, surprise -- has a fetch quest for us. Again, obtaining bogweed for him should be, I assume, of higher priority than for the anonymous merchants at the Crystal Palace.

05space173.png

And that imposing-looking building is the U.S. Army Headquarters.

05space176.png

:patriot: !

05space178.png

Right, so that Captain Cooper must have some kind of (fetch) quest for us, I believe...

05space179.png

Judging by the moustache, this must be the captain.

05space180.png

"Go gather the bids of the Canal Martian Kaaraahn Kaashneek in Boreo Syrtis League and the Lizard-man Ralax in the Thetis Mountains on Venus. The latest bid for the formula is £12,750. You are welcome to buy the aluminum formula yourself if you wish. See Marcus Rowland, the foreign affairs diplomat."

Teehee, so far our quests are... go gather some
  • bids
  • bogweed
  • shell glands
  • Moabite fire jewels
  • gummy rubber
  • liftwood
  • Bhutan spice

:x

05space185.png

Marcus Rowland offers the formula to us, but I think we'd rather keep Captain Cooper's quest in mind. It at least somewhat resembles a diplomatic one.

05space190.png

05space192.png

The second floor of the building houses a doctor's place.

05space193.png

And this is the first skill-increasing quest in the game. Doctor Buembats wants a doctor bag; in exchange for it, he's willing to raise the Medicine skill of one of our characters. It's a good thing we've got exactly what he needs.

05space197.png

05space199.png

We increase Pariah's skill, which now equals 4. So far, so good.
We pillage some chests belonging to the doctor and reach the bedroom.

05space206.png

There's a governess (?) in here.

05space207.png

Oh noes, we're going to wake the children. Alright, we leave.

05space211.png

We leave New York as well and arrive to San Francisco.

05space214.png

We seek out Nathaniel Johanssan and give him the letters of introduction we got from Ogleby.

05space215.png

"Take these maps; they pinpoint various locations where digs are occurring. I've written a note at the bottom of one of the maps. It is critical information that I just uncovered in my research."

Hey, exclusive info! Let's have a look.

05space221.png

Got it.
At the San Francisco Bar, we encounter Claude Brumford, obsessed with revenge:

05space222.png

Sounds totally like a plan!

05space225.png

Hell euuurrrr!

Next time: some action finally!

Crooked Bee

Patron
Update 6: Beware of the Germans

In which we go all dig-dig-dig, pew-pew-pew, and grab-grab-grab in Egypt.

06space003.png

San Francisco is a lovely place. What with a four-leaf-clover-shaped pool right in the middle.

06space006.png

My, what an evil-looking male we have here.

06space007.png

"Any p'entenni'entes fousr my thousughts?"

"Rumousrs run rampant th'entes'ente days. Wousuld yousu car'ente tous h'entear any?"

A French anarchist. Horrible creatures. To boot, he wants our moneyz in exchange for some no doubt shitty advice.
And the way foreign accent is portrayed in this game is... weird and frustrating, to say the least.

Anyway, we bribe him with £20.

06space016.png

Read through that crap yourselves.

Okay, alright. The greedy anarchist tells us something is afoul on Mars where the fair trade laws are being abused by some kind of gang trading in a commodity called Liftwood and aiming for a full monopoly in the hopes of -- shock and horror -- keeping the no doubt noble and by no means profit-seeking British out. Rumour has it the Germans are responsible. Who would've thought.

06space017.png

The Frisco constable brings us up to date with the local lore. There are indeed a number of mines around the city, but it's too much hassle to go digging through them, and I'm lazy. So maybe later, or maybe not. They're all identical and boring anyway.

06space018.png

Leaving San Francisco...

06space020.png

...we engage in Buffalo diplomacy, but miserably fail.

06space025.png

No response from a passing crocodile either. This game fails as an RPG.

06space028.png

Entering the city of Egypt now.

06space029.png

"...but I've overheard them say how they were going to deceive him by keeping the treasures they discover."

Oh those German meanies!

06space036.png

Sup, Egypt Museum.

06space037.png

Oh don't you say.

06space040.png

Hey, you monocled bastard, you know what? We have just the chalice you're looking for! Straight from poor Kazakhstan's tomb.

06space044.png

Fuck yeah, £10,000!

06space045.png

Oh no doubt you will.

06space046.png

More males in here.

06space047.png

"...she was kidnapped by a dangerous band of pirates. If you can rescue her and save her botanical research, my reward will be most generous."

Joseph Chamberlain tells us of a botanist in danger: some Martian pirates have kidnapped his colleague, Emelie van Warren. Splendid, a rescue quest.

06space050.png

Cool story, BRO.

06space052.png

Cool story, SIS.

06space055.png

Tralala, chests to loot.

06space063.png

On the second floor of the museum, we stumble on a locked door. Lockpicks don't help here. Neither does dynamite. :roll:

Railroading! :decline:

06space077.png

And this must be the tomb the villainous German expedition is excavating.

06space078.png

Cool, more walls to blow up.

06space082.png

Hey mommy look, a German!

06space083.png

No u.

We kill the bratwurst-loving bastard.

06space085.png
06space086.png

Some weapons to loot!

06space089.png

Off one of the German corpses, we grab a key. Should come in handy.

06space092.png

Surely.

06space095.png

Even more Germans to kill!! A truly British game, this is.

06space102.png

Oh coolity cool, a piece of freaking paper!

06space106.png

Haha, the Germans have been excavating the wrong tomb! Let's just hope they haven't yet reached the correct one.

06space116.png

In the desert to the northeast, we find some green patch that must be the "Eye of the Desert" that the note mentions.

06space117.png

Fourteen steps to the south of it, we use our shovel and dig up the entrance to a tomb. Must be Tutankhamun's. Hopefully.

06space120.png

Down on the second floor...

06space126.png

...we have to dig through the entire area to find the goddamn stairs leading further down.
:decline:

06space131.png

Kaboom.

06space134.png

Sup, Tutankhamun's tomb.
:incline:

A cutscene kicks in!

06space135.png

:o

06space136.png

THERE BEFORE YOU, STRANGE FIGURES OF ANIMALS, STATUES, AND GOLD -- EVERYWHERE THE RADIANT GLINT OF GOLD!

:yeah:

Alright, game, all your flaws are forgiven.

06space139.png

06space140.png

...ELEGANT, CALM, MYSTERIOUS, AND YET BREATHING WITH THE LIFE OF A SUPREMACY THAT HAD ENDED THOUSANDS OF YEARS BEFORE.

06space142.png

ALTHOUGH THE BULKY STONE SLAB LACKS THE BRILLIANCE OF POLISHED GOLD OR THE SPARKLE OF PRECIOUS JEWELS, IT MAY BE THE MOST PRICELESS ITEM IN THE TOMB, CONSIDERING ITS HALLOWED RESTING PLACE IN TUTANKHAMEN'S HANDS. EMOTION SWEEPS OVER YOUR PARTY IN A ONCE-IN-A-LIFETIME MOMENT. YOU GLANCE ACROSS THE PHARAON'S TOMB IN WONDERMENT ONE LAST TIME BEFORE COLLECTING THE RICHES THAT YOU HAVE UNCOVERED.

Oh noes the ancient Egyptians used to travel through space!! Discovery of the century!!

Also, riches!

06space146.png

Tut's treasures!

06space147.png

The space-travelling stone tablet!

06space150.png

:incline:

06space152.png

Ooooooooooooh.

Time to revisit the museum.

06space158.png

Hell yeah, the key allows us to open the door now.

06space171.png

More chests! More money!

06space179.png

Oh my gosh, we've found the proof of Homer's existence!! We'll be sure to revisit Heinrich Schliemann. :roll:

06space182.png

Don't look at me like that!

06space161.png

Mary Kingsley wants Fever serum, so we let her have it.

06space164.png

"He will tell you what to do with them. Beware of the Germans, they are out to conquer the universe. I would tell you more, but I am too weak to continue. Please leave me now so that I may rest."

06space169.png

tl;dr BEWARE OF THE GERMANS, THEY ARE OUT TO CONQUER THE UNIVERSE!!

Next time: teh plot thickens.

lightbane

Arcane
Oh noes the ancient Egyptians used to travel through space!! Discovery of the century!!

But of course!! Didn't you see Stargate?? :M

Also, no mummy's curse? No deadly traps to stop you from stealing everything... I mean, giving it back to the museum? :decline:

spekkio

Arcane
^
But no epic lesbian romances...

:cry:

Well, devs back in the day had no idea about what gaming is REALLY about.

:smug:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Two updates in a row, hey! To compensate for the long break.

Update 7: The fate of Atlantis

In which the ancient city just won't let us go.

Previously on this LP, we looted Tutankhamen's grave, were given a message by Mary Kingsley, and discovered a Mycenean golden mask. Toot toot.

As you may remember, Heinrich Schliemann can be found in British Museum, so we return to London.

07space005.png

We hand the Mycenean gold mask to him.

Heinrich Schliemann hands over £1000.

07space010.png

:salute: Glad to be of help, Heinrich, dear.

But back to the main quest. Mary Kingsley gave us a letter for one Alfred Hobbs in New York, so to NY we go.

07space022.png

We find him on the second level of Crystal Palace and give him Mary's message.

07space026.png

Next destination: Mexican pyramids.

07space029.png

Splendid, just splendid. Miss Bee is our master criminal, so she'll be the one handling the new lockpicks.

07space042.png

We reach the city with the frightening name of Teotihuacan. There's water everywhere, and we don't seem to be able to get around freely, so we head to the Alchemist's and...

07space039.png

...buy Water rebreathers for everyone.

07space041.png

Our breathing is augmented, and we can now swim walk on water.

07space043.png

"If yousu can discousv'enter him ousr bring m'ente prousousf ousf his wh'enter'enteabousuts, I will b'ente v'enterly grate'enteful and will r'enteward yousu accousrdingly."

We meet Frederick Barnaby here, who wants us to bring him news of his old friend, Alonzo Quinton Freemerchant. Alright, why not.

07space048.png

Incas!

07space049.png

They aren't particularly talkative, though.

07space052.png

At the local bar...

07space054.png

"I'v'ente ''enteard abousut a l'enteg'entendary 'sh'ente-d'entevil' ousf th'ente d'entes'entert whous trav'entels with twous tig'enters cousnstantly at ''enter sid'ente. Cousuld b'ente 'enteasy pickins, 'enteh? Whadda ya say?"

...we encounter Thomas Elias Grimes, who's babbling something incomprehensible about Marsian steppe tigers.

07space057.png

Whereas Dominic the bartender informs us of spooky thingies happening around these parts.

07space068.png

This foreignspeak is getting ridiculous.

07space069.png

Sup, "pyramid".

07space072.png

Oooh, cryptic!

07space074.png

The doors inside the pyramid are locked, but hey, we've got Hobbs' special lockpicks!

07space076.png

Tah-dahm!

07space078.png

These Aztecs are way more talkative than the ones we met earlier.
Also, cool story, golden BRO.

07space079.png

Okay, duly warned.

07space081.png

This one looks like a loner.

07space083.png

Some two tablets must be returned to some sacred altars, and some entrance will be gained. Got it.

07space084.png

Oh cool, another "pyramid"!

07space088.png

07space090.png

Must be one of the tablets we're supposed (?) to find.

07space092.png

07space093.png

Oh hey, the second one.

07space094.png

07space095.png

Advanced symbolism!

07space097.png

This took me fucking two hours to figure out, but there are two plates near the two altars in the above screenshot, and we're supposed to place the tablets on them. I tried Using the tablets, but that didn't work; turned out I had to Drop them, duh.

07space102.png

Looks like it worked!

07space104.png

A new door has appeared behind the mysterious Aztec.

07space107.png

Behind the door, there's a room with two thingies:

07space108.png
07space109.png

an Atlantis info parchment and a Water rebreather. We've got enough rebreathers already...

07space111.png

...but the parchment sure is intriguing.

07space117.png

Two pillars along the shoreline, huh?

07space120.png

Boom!

07space122.png

Oh hey, an entrance...

07space124.png

...to Atlantis? Hey, look, a fishie!

07space125.png

Oh, an Atlantian. Nice to meet ya, I guess.

07space131.png

Kaboom!

07space132.png

Walking on water! A.k.a. swimming.

07space134.png

"Atlantis and its inhabitants were destroyed, and my race rose out of the destructive ashes."

07space133.png

Another tomb?

07space138.png

:o

07space140.png

Lots of letters appear!

07space141.png

07space143.png

"THE SCROLLS OF THE ANCIENTS EXISTED LONG BEFORE POSEIDON PUNISHED OUR FOREFATHERS FOR THEIR ARROGANCE AND BETRAYAL WITH VIOLENT EARTHQUAKES AND FLOODS THAT PLUNGED ATLANTIS INTO THE OBLIVION OF THE OCEAN. CAPTAIN FREEMERCHANT BELIEVED THAT HE COULD ACHIEVE IMMORTALITY WITH THE SCROLLS, BUT AS YOU CAN SEE HE WAS WRONG."

07space147.png

"THEY WANT TO LEARN EVERYTHING I KNOW, AS IF THEY CAN ACTUALLY ABSORB HUMANITY. THEY KEEP ME HERE, CONSTANTLY QUESTIONING ME; I AM FAR TOO WEAK TO ESCAPE. MY QUEST IS OVER. THE ATLANTIANS ARE STILL PAYING FOR THE SINS OF THEIR ANCESTORS. THEY REMAIN CONFINED IN THESE DEWY, CAVERNOUS GROTTOS, AND I AM TRAPPED WITH THEM."

Oh my, what a sad story.

07space152.png

07space154.png
07space155.png
07space156.png

Some fancy stuff to pick up.

07space160.png

07space161.png

07space158.png

Oh hey, we can now translate the hieroglyphics on that stone tablet we found in Tutankhamen's tomb:

07space165.png

MAY THE TREASURES AND POSSESSIONS THAT SURROUNDED THE KING IN HIS EARTHLY EXISTENCE SAFELY GUIDE HIS SPIRIT THROUGH THE STARS ON HIS LONG JOURNEY HOME. MAY HE ONCE AGAIN DRINK FROM THE FOUNTAIN OF IMMORTALITY AND ULTIMATE WISDOM RESERVED FOR ONLY A CHOSEN FEW. ALONG WITH THE TEST IS A SERIES OF CARVINGS DEPICTING SCENES FROM THE KING'S LIFE, AND A REPRESENTATION OF THE SOLAR SYSTEM.

07space171.png

Expectedly (yes, expectedly, if you cared to read through Freemerchant's story), an Atlantian is blocking our way out.

07space172.png

Screw you.

07space174.png

Kaboom. :smug:

07space176.png

Oooh, a Great sword.

07space181.png

We give Freemerchant's ID tag to Frederick Burnaby...

07space187.png

...and receive his Medal of honour in return.

Next time: what next time?

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You seem somewhat disenchanted with the game Bee, is that correct? :hug:

I keep reading the updates with keen interest, if that's any consolation. :love:

lightbane

Arcane
THEY WANT TO LEARN EVERYTHING I KNOW, AS IF THEY CAN ACTUALLY ABSORB HUMANITY. THEY KEEP ME HERE, CONSTANTLY QUESTIONING ME; I AM FAR TOO WEAK TO ESCAPE. MY QUEST IS OVER.

This reminds me of one of Lovecraft's short stories that something like this happened. Actually, these evil atlantians are fish-men, as the Deep Ones... Also, can you go back to Atlantis? IS there anything else of interest here?

Also, moar please, I always read your updates :love:

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
lightbane said:
THEY WANT TO LEARN EVERYTHING I KNOW, AS IF THEY CAN ACTUALLY ABSORB HUMANITY. THEY KEEP ME HERE, CONSTANTLY QUESTIONING ME; I AM FAR TOO WEAK TO ESCAPE. MY QUEST IS OVER.

This reminds me of one of Lovecraft's short stories that something like this happened. Actually, these evil atlantians are fish-men, as the Deep Ones... Also, can you go back to Atlantis? IS there anything else of interest here?

Also, moar please, I always read your updates :love:

So I'm not the only one who got Lovercraftian vibes out there. :salute:

@Bee

ordocodexicus.png

But no pressure ;)

Crooked Bee

Patron
Thanks, everyone :love:

I just feel that this LP doesn't gather much interest. Especially so since my new LP over at SA has proven to be surprisingly successful so far, so maybe that's just my spoilt self talking.

Azira said:

I really enjoy all these "text cutscenes", particularly the last one about Captain Freemerchant. They're atmospheric and (unfortunately) the best aspect to the game, hinting at a potentially much better and deeper cRPG. Some NPC chatter makes me thing "this quest could be cool if only there was some more sophisticated and imaginative underlying mechanics to it". I enjoy solving some riddles that involve exploration, since there is no hand-holding and you have to experiment around a bit. I enjoy making things go BOOM.

But overall, yeah, I don't think this is a decent game. All quests are basically fetch quests so far. There's no complexity to either combat or exploration. Everything seems to be extremely linear. I was hoping there would be secrets to uncover, secret locations maybe, but there's nothing like that, and everything looks totally identical to boot. Such an exciting steampunk setting wasted. I'll keep on playing, 'cause why not; I'll suffer through it so you don't have to. :P

Crooked Bee

Patron
lightbane said:
Also, can you go back to Atlantis? IS there anything else of interest here?

You can, but no, from what I've gathered there isn't. It seems to be a one-time quest-related location.

The Thin Man

Novice
Crooked Bee said:
Thanks, everyone :love:

I just feel that this LP doesn't gather much interest. Especially so since my new LP over at SA has proven to be surprisingly successful so far, so maybe that's just my spoilt self talking.

Azira said:

I really enjoy all these "text cutscenes", particularly the last one about Captain Freemerchant. They're atmospheric and (unfortunately) the best aspect to the game, hinting at a potentially much better and deeper cRPG. Some NPC chatter makes me thing "this quest could be cool if only there was some more sophisticated and imaginative underlying mechanics to it". I enjoy solving some riddles that involve exploration, since there is no hand-holding and you have to experiment around a bit. I enjoy making things go BOOM.

But overall, yeah, I don't think this is a decent game. All quests are basically fetch quests so far. There's no complexity to either combat or exploration. Everything seems to be extremely linear. I was hoping there would be secrets to uncover, secret locations maybe, but there's nothing like that, and everything looks totally identical to boot. Such an exciting steampunk setting wasted. I'll keep on playing, 'cause why not; I'll suffer through it so you don't have to. :P
I'm really glad you took up the reins on this. I actually joined the board after searching for information on Space 1889 and finding this lp. I tried to play it myself but couldn't handle the same points that you bring up, so thanks for suffering so I don't have to.

A much cooler premise than execution.

spekkio

Arcane
Crooked Bee said:
Check out the most viewed / posted threads in CP. If you want a popular LP thread on Codex, do the Bible Black / Discipline LP.

:M

Crooked Bee

Patron
Update 8: Build me a flyer!

In which we meet some scary monks and head to an ether port.

In the previous update, there was a hint we now should follow:

07space160.png

So to Angkor we fly.

08space036.png

Turns out it's somewhere in Asia.

08space037.png

And here we are.

08space039.png

Many-faced monoliths all around. Monoliths and temples. Looks like Far East all right.

08space043.png

Inside one of the temples, we meet Cyrus Grant, who asks us to investigate the mysterious glow from Luna's surface. 'K, why not; looks more interesting than yet another fetch quest, after all.

08space047.png

Monks! They look kinda evil, don't they?

08space048.png

Rise of Cthulhu Seldon. Got it.

08space051.png

The sacred altar? Sounds just like the altar we're looking for!
:thumbsup:

08space056.png

Worm cult? Ewww.

08space064.png

Yeah, yeah, no doubt about that.

08space068.png

Wish we could backstab these monks.

08space069.png

You kiddin' me.

08space081.png

Another temple contains... treasure!

08space083.png

The Arrow of Kaundinya! Fancy.

08space095.png

Hmm, did anyone ask us to retrieve anything like this? I believe not. Still, we better keep it, just in case.

08space090.png

More treasure in the next temple! Sure lots of temples 'round these parts.

08space093.png

Miss Faith is our treasure hoarder. :P

08space097.png

Solid gold! :incline:

08space098.png

Sup, male.

08space099.png

"Scholars", ha!

08space101.png

And here's the central temple of Angkor.

08space108.png

In here, we find the altar mentioned in Captain Freemerchant's diary. Swell!

08space109.png

THE SACRED COMPANION OF THE RED CYCLOPS is, as you may have guessed, Mars. That's why there's that spooky Mars cult all around here.

08space122.png

Which means, to Mars we must fly!

08space125.png

At the ether port, we choose to Update flyer.

08space127.png

Now I ask you to build me a flyer, Codex! You build me a flyer, and then we fly to Mars. That's the plan, at least.

Let me explain the building menu to you.

An Interplanetary Ether Flyer is a ship designed to lift itself out of the atmosphere of a planet and journey through the ether (the substance fiiling the space between planets) to other worlds. When your party has acquired the funds necessary to purchase an ether flyer, you can venture into the mysteries of space. An ether flyer, it comes complete with a repair crew that fixes damages to the ship, and a galley with enough food to last even the longest voyages.

HULL SIZE

You must specify a hull size for the ship, which determines its size and weight. The larger the hull, the larger and heavier the ship. The weight of the ship, in tons, is 100 times the hull size.

Hull size value can be 1 (£5000) or 2 (£10000).

LIFT TYPE

The lift type specifies the level to which the ship is able to negate a planet’s gravitational pull. There are two types of lift Hydrogen and Liftwood. Hydrogen lift costs 50 per ton of the vessel. It is not practical for vessels greater than 200 tons of lifted mass. Liftwood costs 200 per ton of the vessel and can only be bought on Mars. Due to the magnetic field of Venus, liftwood quickly deteriorates on that planet.

At this ether port, Hydrogen is the only available option.

PROPELLER TYPE

An ether propeller is the device used to drive the ship through the ether. There are three-options available for an ether propeller: the Edison Patent, the Armstrong Patent and the Zeppelin Patent. Each propeller is defined by its power value (the amount of energy needed to make it work) and its efficiency. Power values are expressed as whole numbers (1, 5, etc.). Edison propellers may be purchased at any power value, and cost 1000 per power value. They have an efficiency of 25. Armstrong propellers may be purchased at any power value, and cost 500 per power value. They have an efficiency of 20. Zeppelin propellers may be purchased at power values up to and including 4, and cost 100 per power value. They have an efficiency of 15.

Power values are whole numbers, their cost listed above for three different propeller types: Edison, Armstrong, and Zeppelin.

SPEED

To determine interplanetary speed, multiply the propeller power value by the propeller efficiency and divide the result by the lifted mass. The result is the flyer’s interplanetary speed value. For example, a 14-ton vessel with a propeller with a power value of 2 and an efficiency of 20 has an interplanetary sped of 2.857, which rounds to 2.9. Interplanetary speed levels can vary from one to any number, depending on how much you want to invest in your ether flyer.

The formula for the ship's speed is given above.

BOILER POWER LEVEL

Only limited amounts of oxygen can be carried aboard the craft, and these critical oxygen supplies need to be supplemented with large numbers of green plants just to meet the needs of the passengers and crew. Any sort of power plant which requires combustion is out of the question. As electric batteries cannot store enough energy to power a long interplanetary flight, a solar boiler is the only practical source of power. The boiler power level is the same as the propeller power level. The weight of the solar boiler in tons is twice its power value. The cost of a solar boiler is 500 times the propeller power value.

The boiler power level equals the propeller power value.

ENGINE SIZE

An ether propeller will not function in atmospheres where air densities are greater than those equivalent to 24,000 feet above sea level on Earth. Since all combat between ether flyers occurs within the orbit of a planet, an engine must be present (an engine controls speed during space combat). The engine costs 2000 per engine size.

Each level of engine size costs £2000.

ARMOR VALUE

The armor value is any whole number. An armor value of 0 indicates that no armor is affixed to the ship's basic structure. Determine the weight of the armor, in tons, by multiplying the armor value by 10 times the hull size. Armor costs 10 per ton.

The armour cost depends on the weight of the ship.

ARMAMENT

Your ether flyer has locations at the top and bottom of the ship for weapons. Both weapon locations have a 180-degree rotating capability. The TOP GUN can attack an enemy vessel above and to the sides of your ship, and the BOTTOM GUN can attack below and to the sides of the ship. If your ether flyer and the enemy ship are on the same altitude, the top gun will be used. Select your guns from those listed.

Here are the available guns:

At an ether port, you can equip your flyer with the following weapons:

European Artillery
European artillery consists of modem rifled breech-loading pieces which fire shell and shrapnel.

1-POUNDER HOTCHKISS ROTATING CANNON. The Hotchkiss rotating cannon is a rapid-free weapon similar in overall principle to the Gatling gun but of an improved and more rugged design. Wt. 300 lbs. Price: £160.
3-POUNDER HOTCHKISS ROTATING CANNON: Wt. 400 lbs. Price: £180.
6-FOUNDER RIFLED BREECH-LOADER. Wt. 600 lbs. Price: £200.
9-POUNDER RIFLED BREECH-LOADER. Wt. 800 lbs. Price: £250.
12-FOUNDER RIFLED BREECH-LOADER. Wt. 1000 lbs. Price: £300.
15-POUNDER RIFLED BREECH-LOADER. Wt. 1200 lbs. Price: £400.
20-POUNDER RIFLED BREECH-LOADER. Wt. 1600 lbs. Price: £500.
40-POUNDER RIFLED BREECH-LOADER. Wt: 3500 lbs. Price: £1000.
5-INCH HOWITZER. Wt. 3000 lbs. Price: £1000.
7-POUNDER MOUNTAIN HOWITZER. Wt. 400 lbs. Price: £200.
HALE ROCKET. An improvement over the old Congreve rocket, with much better accuracy and higher reliability. Wt. 20 lbs. Price: £5.

Martian Artillery

Martian Artillery pieces are muzzle-loading guns mounted on wooden carriages. They fire round shot or grapeshot.

SWEEPER. Wt. 1 ton Price: £200.
LIGHT GUN. Wt. 4 tons. Price: £400.
HEAVY GUN. Wt. 4 tons. Price: £1000.
ROD GUN. Wt. 3 tons. Price: £800.
ROGUE. Wt. 6 tons. Price: £2000.
LOB GUN. Wt. 20 tons. Price: £2000.

E.g., here's a sample flyer:

08space128.png

It's totally random, though. Can you build me a better one? Keeping in mind our funds are limited, of course, and shouldn't be exhausted. Just, I dunno, experiment!!

(Provided anyone's still following this thread, of course. :P)

The Thin Man

Novice
Crooked Bee said:
our funds are limited,
Upload your save file and I'll fix that.

Although, is there any point in having a super badass ether flyer?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom