Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's avoid world getting destroyed by anomaly in openxcom

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
At 1st Jan 1999, the first X-Com base - on the East Coast of USA came online.
X-Com commander decided to open 7 other bases - in West Europe, North Europe, China, Israel, India, Japan and West Coast.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
The first contact with an alien craft occurred on January 9th.
U6itojR.png

It was a small rectangular craft.
ipAaEvq.png

It disintegrated mid-air after a hit with an Avalanche missile.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Another alien incident happened at 16th January. Alien forces have terrorised a city.

WjzWphz.png

After Skyranger-1 has landed, it was discovered that the enemy is some kind of monsters.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
The first X-Com casualty was caused by an alien wielding a pistol firing some kind of explosive energy bolts.
hcScViA.png

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Operative searching the east part of the battlefield was fatally wounded, but killed a humanoid alien in return.
022gaqv.png

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
He was eventually killed by a monster after killing two of them with grenades. His killer was killed by a thermobaric rocket fired from the northern part of battlefield.
tzrFH7p.png

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
General situation, 3 minutes after beginning of the action. X-Com soldiers are moving south.
zYdRpYS.png

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
So, how hard the aliens are in your new version? Didi you find a new dificulty equilibrium?
I made the game treat plasma as explosive, so now it has pretty brutal damage radius. A single hit from a heavy plasma weapon can massacre the content of the Skyranger (by the way, I went back to the small Skyranger because it doesn't really look that big on the Ufopedia image).

How about giving the aliens something like a Sniper Plasma Rifle with bigger accuracy and increasing accuracy scores across the board?
Plasma Rifle and Heavy Plasma already have sniper rifle grade accuracy.

Did Open X-COM adress the fact aliens in the old game only fire snap shots without Kyrub's patch?
I had situations where aliens hit from the other side of the board with the range-dependent accuracy on, so they certainly fire aimed shots.

The increased space could create new niches for alien weapons and monster, I must say.
Let's not forget that the maximum engagement range is still just 100m which is 1/4 of effective range of an assault rifle.

Enemy soldiers as seen from one end of a board to another end.
HVit1qs.jpg

One thing that bothers me lately is the number of seats and generally what would be the realistic crew for UFOs.

UFO_110MAP-L1.JPG

Medium Scout has 5 seats which would indicate a crew of 5.

But then:

UFO_150MAP-L2.JPG

UFO_120MAP-L1.JPG

UFO_160MAP-L3.JPG

WHAT'S GOING ON???

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
The smaller ship is probably flying at higher speeds at lower altitudes, which means it is more prone to turbulence thus requiring more seats so the crew aren't stumbling all over the place. No ship really needs more than 2 "pilots".
Large scout is faster than medium scout. Generally the larger UFOs are, the faster they get. Terror Ship is the second fastest ship.
Also, they fly to Earth from Mars.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom