Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Larian's Dragon Commander - Released

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm more interested in the 'macro' strategy of this game with the tactical map, politics, etc. than I am with the 'micro' level RTS combat. Otherwise it might have been a D1P.

Mortmal

Arcane
Is this really a strategy game ? According the info on their site , it looks like a n hybrid of rts shooter rpg.It reminds me a bit of cinemaware games (defender of the crown , lords of the risng sun) . Or maybe some ancient silmarils games like storm master and transartica.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is this really a strategy game ? According the info on their site , it looks like a n hybrid of rts shooter rpg.It reminds me a bit of cinemaware games (defender of the crown , lords of the risng sun) . Or maybe some ancient silmarils games like storm master and transartica.
Funnily enough they cite those as a huge influence.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Fuck it. I'll go up my divinity pledge so I'll get a copy of this too.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Funnily enough they cite those as a huge influence.

They did and it is very much an hybrid game. One reason they made it is simply that no one else dares to do hybrid games that blends genres anymore. While the RTS part is the most visible (and until my visit there I thought that the game would be a pure RTS with the dragon form possibility) there is also the turn-based boardgame-like strategy and the social interactions on your mothership. In case it's not clear, these interactions and your choices will have consequences that will affect the campaign by giving you various advantages or disadvantages.

catfood

AGAIN
So from what I've gathered, it's basically Dragon: Total War?

:hmmm:
It's kinda like a mix of TW, Rise of Nations and King of Dragon Pass. At least that was my impression from the video. You'll have to wait for Gragt to move his ferret ass and write the damn preview.

Mortmal

Arcane
It does not fit in the small strategy sub forum box then, its more like general gaming now matter how incline this title is . Its weird so many genre of video games completely died, we had such diversity and completely alien games (especially french games) pre 2000 ,i cant understand why no one till dragon commander made any cinemaware like game. Those games were very accessible, with shiny graphics, thats something that would sell very well today. So far DDOS is my biggest pledge as i went for the 65$ tier to get dragon commander as well.

Fart Master

Savant
Many princesses will bid for your hand, but when you have made the decision whom to marry, that is only the beginning. Each princess has her own background and personal struggle. It will be up to you to guide her to the best of your abilities, keeping in mind the often conflicting sensitivities of your councillors.

:troll: Looks good though.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
You'll have to wait for Gragt to move his ferret ass and write the damn preview.

Gragt unfortunately has way too much work and very little free time to work on it. Still he hopes to be able to release it for editing and approval this week-end.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Its weird so many genre of video games completely died, we had such diversity and completely alien games (especially french games) pre 2000

It's probably OT but since you mentioned it - French games used to be freakin' fountains of incredible ideas and style. Where English/American devs produced hamburgers and pies (oftentimes very delicious ones I hasten to add), the French always managed to come up with gourmet pieces like Gobliiins, Dune, KGB, Another World, Alone in the Dark, Little Big Adventure, Arx Fatalis, Syberia, Fahrenheit and many more. Oh Cryo, Coktel, Delphine, Adeline, where art thou?

Mortmal

Arcane
Not really out of topic as dragon commander looks more like those old alien games , and anyway we dont have much to discuss about it right now, only gragt played it, the topic will be dead till july. Cryo, cokstel dephine, adeline ,they are all gone since long, although speaking of cryo (former exoss) , i found a captain blood remake http://captainbloodlegacy.blogspot.fr/, i am seeing names from the old team . i have absolutely no idea if this is vaporware or a true project.
upcom_seaquarian.jpg

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
The problem with Cryo is that while they had cool ideas the execution was usually poor. For a long time the reputation of French game was something like "beautiful graphics, bad gameplay" and Cryo was right there at the middle of it. They also made a lot of completely atrocious games.

Mortmal

Arcane
Yes the exxos era was better than the cryo one, they still made a few decent things, like extase, dune and... well versailles maybe, thats not many titles on the list. However the reputation of french games was not well deserved some very good games were trashed in perfid albion's magazines for the only reason they were french, like LBA for example ," a gallic torture" if i remember well .

AngryDude

Novice
This game seems more like MP game rather than SP from what I have seen. :( Why Larian, why ?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wonder how they are going to resolve unit creation being both in the strategic layer and RTS layer. It seems pretty stupid at the moment that You can attack a province with 5 units and build 25 more during the battle. How does that even work?

Even ignoring the realism/immersion aspect, it seems pretty unbalanced from the gameplay point of view.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I wonder how they are going to resolve unit creation being both in the strategic layer and RTS layer. It seems pretty stupid at the moment that You can attack a province with 5 units and build 25 more during the battle. How does that even work?

Even ignoring the realism/immersion aspect, it seems pretty unbalanced from the gameplay point of view.
Why? If you can come into a province with overwhelming numbers already, there probably isn't very much the opponet can quickly do to stop you, if he hasn't any trick up his sleave. As has been shown in the video the population resource is a finite one. Also there are the cards, like the genocide one that can slash it even further down.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom