Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin Pre-Release Thread

Jashiin

Arcane
First LP-video is up:

I guess 5000+ views will get them some new pledges.

How is it actually? I don't wanna listen to my own voice for an hour.

(INB4 "neither do we".)

Highly entertaining. I want to play it seeing this. I think you are doing great, funny and informative. The talk is about mechanics, the game the coop.. and it's honest and straightforward. Going to get a brew and watch the whole thing in a bit.

En goed te doen die stem hoor :salute:

Unwanted

Cursed Beaver

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Queued
How far does the reactivity go in this game? Have they been more specific about the NPC reactions?

For example, a NPC won't let you steal his stuff. But what if you steal his stuff when he's away, then will he react to the theft when he comes back? Will he suspect you?

Or what if you use a non lethal spell (like rain) inside a town?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Was good man, very entertaining. Of course the empathy between both players wasn't the best, the guy being tottaly new to the game & a very bad player and you one of the developers, but still was fun. :)

ForkTong

Larian Studios
Developer
How far does the reactivity go in this game? Have they been more specific about the NPC reactions?

For example, a NPC won't let you steal his stuff. But what if you steal his stuff when he's away, then will he react to the theft when he comes back? Will he suspect you?

Or what if you use a non lethal spell (like rain) inside a town?

I like the "will he suspect you" question. Don't give us ideas.

We actually do have code that makes it so that shopkeepers can recognize certain items. If you steal the mayor's hat and try to sell it in his own village, the shopkeeper might go "hey that's the mayor's hat". We stole that piece of code from Divine Divinity, but we still have to figure out how to get it working properly in D:OS because right now _every_ shopkeeper would recognize that hat...

Non lethal spell: atm they don't react to rain because they don't care and don't know it was you.

Gord

Arcane
Hey, ForkTong, slightly off-topic, but are you guys thinking about releasing an update for the download (Steam/GOG) versions of DD that fixes the bugs they suffer from (that seemingly have been fixed in the disk versions)? I have a few quests I can't complete because quest-givers have gone missing or aren't offering the right dialogue.

ForkTong

Larian Studios
Developer
I said "Who wants item fever in their game, what is this, Diablo?"

Well, it's been nice knowing y'all.

Jashiin

Arcane
So is there an ironman mode in the works ?

Also ForkTong there is only about a 1000 25 dollar games available.. so after another 1000 backers there the cheapest the game is going to be is $35 dollars ? Perhaps this is a bit steep... how about a $30/29 dollar digital tier ? I think $35 is bit much if you want to catch any more "impuls" buyers ?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
We actually do have code that makes it so that shopkeepers can recognize certain items. If you steal the mayor's hat and try to sell it in his own village, the shopkeeper might go "hey that's the mayor's hat". We stole that piece of code from Divine Divinity, but we still have to figure out how to get it working properly in D:OS because right now _every_ shopkeeper would recognize that hat...
Perhaps set up some groups where a member of the same group will always recognize items from another person of the same group, but not outside of the group.

ForkTong

Larian Studios
Developer
Perhaps set up some groups where a member of the same group will always recognize items from another person of the same group, but not outside of the group.

Of course, so they could react to it even if you were wearing it. But we have other cats to punish first (that's actually a Dutch expression).

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Wouldn't you just add a "Town" element to both shopkeepers and "Item"s

if (item.Town = Shopkeeper.Town) and TrySell = true
{
THIEF()
}

Pretty basic..but that's the general idea. How hard it is to add that simple logic to the existing code base, I don't know.

Zep--

ForkTong

Larian Studios
Developer
So items belong to a faction now? What if they turn hostile?

Seriously though, it's in, and NPCs know what items are theirs, so other NPCs can also know what items belong to another NPC etc. Just gotta catch it. And that's not always as simple as just adding one function somewhere :)

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

{
THIEF()
}

Pretty basic..but that's the general idea. How hard it is to add that simple logic to the existing code base, I don't know.

Zep--
Please don't try to give lessons from on top your first semester CS curriculum. BTW, '=' is the assignment operator, which you wouldn't need anyway because you're already in the function.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual

{
THIEF()
}

Zep--
Please don't try to give lessons from on top your first semester CS curriculum. BTW, '=' is the assignment operator, which you wouldn't need anyway because you're already in the function.

I've been a programmer for 30 years, that's pretty much the BASIC jist of it, as I've said. When you finish your first semester, then tell me. I may have dumbed it down a bit for types like you.

Zep--

Stabbey

Learned
Forktong, for Decision points will the game eventually have an option to agree with your partner if the first responses are in disagreement? Right now the only two outcomes are "immediately agree" or "I will fight you to the ends of the earth". You've already made up your mind before even hearing what your partner's opinion is, and it doesn't matter what it is, your only option are variations on disagreeing.

I'd like the option to go "Huh, all right, let's do it your way" in addition to the normal [Charm]/[Intimidate]/[Reason] options.

(I'm not suggesting this be implemented for Opinion points, like "Was it dumb for that guy to leap from the cliff?" / "Should we have killed those drunk guards?" / "Would you kill Zombie Grandma?" Those are personal opinions, so the one-step agree/disagree is good.)

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Item theft must have a limit anyway, "that potato is stolen!" is Skyrim level derpness...
This might work if there was some good scripting involved - somebody has just raided the town potato cellar dooming everyone to starvation and death and here comes the handsome stranger trying to offload a sack of taters: suspicion level +100

Xenich

Cipher
I like a system where it applies a combination of the results based on the skill check of each person.

So... in an "at odds" example, think of it as a linear vector, -10 to 0 to 10.

with one extreme opposed to the other and various skill influences as well as weighted static selectors, the reaction is then a variation of the "mood" of response based on what the result is according to the vector.

/shrug

Maybe stupid, maybe not... maybe there are problems with the logic, but it is something I just thought of right now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom