Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Larian to Kickstart Divinity: Original Sin 2 on August 26th

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
It's not just graphics it's also awful story, bad writing and irrelevant dialogue choices with a minigame attached to it? Those qualities are what this place was founded to appreciate?

But wait it's turn based, so suddenly these crucial RPG qualities are irrelevant. It's the closest thing to a JRPG made by a western studio passing it as a WRPG. Maybe that's what this place likes now.

Zeriel

Arcane
There is MASSIVE butthurt in comments section on every site that reported this news. Why? THERE PLAN TO USE SHITSTARTER AGAIN? HOW DARE THEY.
Reading comments on mainstream sites makes me wish for the next mass extinction.

These are always the same ones who didn't contribute the first time around, too. Probably never touched a single Kickstarter. People love to bitch from the sidelines.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's not just graphics it's also awful story, bad writing and irrelevant dialogue choices with a minigame attached to it? Those qualities are what this place was founded to appreciate?

But wait it's turn based, so suddenly these crucial RPG qualities are irrelevant. It's the closest thing to a JRPG made by a western studio passing it as a WRPG. Maybe that's what this place likes now.

You could have just said "D:OS is shit, why does everybody like it?" instead of wasting our time with accusations of hypocrisy

Gremius

Augur
To back or not to back. I really don't like to be a beta-tester again who payed for game and tested it for console players who will get Definitive Edition.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
Why should I pass on the opportunity to call you hypocrites when you are for disregarding the lack of all the major RPG tenet that this place decries for being lacking in other RPGs.

But it's turn based. Just like final fantasy 7 everyone's favorite RPG.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why should I pass on the opportunity to call you hypocrites when you are for disregarding the lack of all the major RPG tenet that this place decries for being lacking in other RPGs.

But it's turn based. Just like final fantasy 7 everyone's favorite RPG.
Final Fantasy 6 is better.

likaq

Arcane
Speaking of hypocrites and double standards... How does combat in D:OS compare to combat in Jagged Alliance 2? Is it at the VERY LEAST on par with JA2?

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Dear Swen, bearing in mind the impending console release of D:OS and the fact that the developers are understandably currently focussed on consoles and making things palatable for consoletards, please don't fuck this up.

Hugs and kisses, B.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
To back or not to back. I really don't like to be a beta-tester again who payed for game and tested it for console players who will get Definitive Edition.
It's worth backing for the lower price since it's in dollars, you know you'll buy this anyway.

likaq

Arcane
Here's the truth - nobody actually cares that much about "awful art style"

Yep.
Oh wait.
Diablo 3 thread is full of " fuck you blizzard fuck you in the face for making diablo 3 with wow-like art design" butthurt.
But when it comes to D:OS , codex is suddenly perfectly okay with wow-like art design.
Totaly not hypocrisy.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Speaking of hypocrites and double standards... How does combat in D:OS compare to combat in Jagged Alliance 2? Is it at the VERY LEAST on par with JA2?
Nothing compares to JA2. But DOS is still pretty good.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
So, is combat in D:OS on par with JA2 or not?
I'm not sure it can even compare. It's very different, more arcadey with everyone having magical powers and a lot of focus on combo interactions and elemental stuff.

It's not as tacticool mostly because it suffered from poorly tuned encounters and shitty balance. EE supposedly address that

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I hope the single player campaign is void of any traces of co-op.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Co-op is probably the biggest marketing asset Larian has. If anything, the single player campaign will be called "solo co-op" in the menu.

murloc_gypsy

Cipher
EE is coming out after the Kickstarter, so be prepared to pay more.
Hm, for a moment there I was of the impression EE was coming out in late August as well.
In this case, I guess it's up to them to convince me that they are doing solid enough work to warrant backing a sequel.
Will probably back it anyway. DOS was one of the most enjoyable (if not the most) games to come out of the kickstarter wave

Bonerbill

Augur
You could have just said "D:OS is shit, why does everybody like it?" instead of wasting our time with accusations of hypocrisy

At least his opinion actually has truth in it, unlike the PoE haters on this board. I love D:OS, and even I can't deny some his claims.

FWIW I suggested the Chris Avellone stretch goal: http://larian.uservoice.com/forums/...ggestions/9290247-stretch-goal-chris-avellone :M

Feel free to vote on it.

Oh god, I hope this gets a lot of votes.

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
I’m hopeful though — there’s a small scene in D:OS 2, right at the beginning of the demo that we’ll be showing to press and players at Pax Prime. It’s a small detail, but every time I see it, my heart starts beating faster because of the enormous implications it has for the entire game. It was when I saw this that I felt sure about taking it to Kickstarter. I think other RPG players will recognize what it means for the game and their hearts will start beating faster also.

My heart already goes doki doki for you, Sven-senpai~

:desu:

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So, what does everyone think the "heartbeat raising feature is" ? Gotta be something simulationist or maybe more than 2 players.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, I hope the tiers looks something like this

1- Extra writer for better main plot
2- Another writer for better character development
3- More writers for better subquest plots
4- A new writer join the team to help to develop non stupid dialogs
5- X writer will write npcs interactions

and 4 or 5 more kickstarter tiers regarding the writing, because the first one was atrocious.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I wonder if announcing a sequel right before the EE will reduce sales (mostly console) for the EE? On the other hand, they probably want to use the visibility of the EE for the Kickstarter push.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I wonder if announcing a sequel right before the EE will reduce sales (mostly console) for the EE? On the other hand, they probably want to use the visibility of the EE for the Kickstarter push.

My impression from Gamescom was that 90% of the people interested in D:OS:EE were unfamiliar with the franchise and were intrigued by the combination of consoles + co-op. That crowd isn't going to wait 2 years for a hypothetically better sequel.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom