Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kohan II: Kings of War, WH 40K: Dawn of War, Rome: Total War

Wow, that's even more disappointing. Kohan:IS and Kohan:AG both had pretty nice single-player campaigns. Sounds like it's dropped even further down the buy list.

dagamer667

Liturgist
Walks with the Snails said:
Wow, that's even more disappointing. Kohan:IS and Kohan:AG both had pretty nice single-player campaigns. Sounds like it's dropped even further down the buy list.

Yeah, for all of 10 people who were able to "get into" the game. I only got past the first mission and then got rushed to death by the comp in the second. It's not even funny when you dispatch three enemy companies just find another three going your way before you even recover half of your losses. Anyway, I uninstalled the game after about 10-15 attempts and that was pretty much the end of it.

Let's say that I like K2 a whole lot more. Movement modes now make sense. No more choosing between crawling slower than a snail or having your guys do about 1-2 points of damage per hit. Say, is your nick inspired by K1's game mechanics? Likewise, the line of sight isn't such a pain in the ass, now. Another change I love is that cities are not so easy to take anymore. The wall is now free with the second upgrade and the militias are now actually a threat rather than a tiny speedbump.

Wow, guess you just kinda suck, then. Most folks with more than two brain cells to rub together start to wonder what they're doing wrong after getting no results doing the same thing for the 5th time. Wasn't the second mission the Drauga one where they actually told you where to find friendlies? Not that they were completely necessary with a good mix of timing and daring. And there was a speed slider, too, for the ADD crowd.

Thanks for showing me the type the "improvements" were geared for, though. Guess the WC3 clone fellas had a point.

Sheriff05

Liturgist
Dagamer you fucking jackass, thanks for illustrating why new games are designed to attract simpletons. I was going to mention that KoW was getting really good reviews from all the usual suspects, and I was going to check out the demo to see how far it'd come since beta. You just re-confirmed my suspicions, it must fucking blow since an idiot who thought the first Kohan *sucked* thinks it's *good*.

dagamer667

Liturgist
Well, I wouldn't call it a WC3 clone, except for the visuals. Even the main menu is almost identical to WC3's. The same goes for the unit portraits. Let's just say there is no doubt that there is more than one WC3 fan at Timegate :).

If you don't want to play K2, it's your loss. I will definitely give K1 another try when I get the chance. Sheriff05, I never said K1 "sucked." I'd actually have to finish the game to make that judgement. I only said that my first try didn't go all that well.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Pc Zone Benelux had a review of Rome stating that it was a great game but not a classic. The reason being that it was rather complicated, though the battles and campaign map we're being called great. Guess the reviewer likes his games simple eh? Personally I don't mind a little complexity in a game and seeing how easily I got into medieval I don't see Rome being a problem (the reviewer said it was more intuitive than shogun and medieval but still too difficult to get into...jackass)
Well, lets hope we'll soon see t on the shelves.

Sheriff05

Liturgist
dagamer667 said:
I only said that my first try didn't go all that well.

is that what you said?, funny it didn't read that way
Your statement to Walks "is your nick inspired, by K1 games mechanics??" is worthy of a kidney punch alone. :roll:

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Nah, I really dig K2. I think all of those "streamlined mechanics" speed up the gameplay, too. No more having people just build a little empire in a corner of the map. I'm liking the way settlements work too.

One complaint is that when a person gets momentum, it is pretty much impossible to stop them.

The single-player for it isn't supposed to be that bad, 25 ~15m-1h campaigns, only thing I've read consistently is that the earlier missions suck as, and the ending is rather anti-climactic. I did the beta for Dawn of War, so I'm not too eager to get it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom