Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Knights of the Chalice is Here

kenney bounces

Liturgist
nm

PorkaMorka

Arcane
The "train your skills at the cave" line seems a little misleading, I think that if you want to avoid excessive reloading you'll have to stop working on the cave after a few cave encounters and do the main quest, which has much lower level monsters (at first) and a much more gradual ramp in difficulty. Just be sure you take craft wand and a cure light wounds wand . The early cave is a nice little EXP boost for the main quest though.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
The rest was childs play... I emerged from the Orc Fortress lvl10. Wizard-guy really is the backbone by now... should have brought 2 wizards, instead of 2 knights?

Ashery: how many enchantments can you add to a weapon?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Does anyone know where the villagers are? The quest to save them didn't complete, I was not in all rooms it seems... so I went back looking... there is another fireplace in one of the Orc Towers (before you enter the dungeon, in the yard) fyi

edit: ok, nevermind

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
just installed 1.07 , ahh higher res, very good.

plz help: how can I leave the cave with the black dragon (mountain pass), killed everything, uncovered the whole map and now? Am I missing something?

Fezzik

Cipher
VentilatorOfDoom said:
just installed 1.07 , ahh higher res, very good.

plz help: how can I leave the cave with the black dragon (mountain pass), killed everything, uncovered the whole map and now? Am I missing something?

There ought to be a secret door or something in the upper right corner of the dragon's room, leading to some stairs.

Ashery

Prophet
For weapons you can add a total of ten enchantment points and each enchantment as the number of points required to the left of the name.

The SR bonuses for armor don't have their price listed, however, but SR19 costs five points.

Also, I'd still say two knights are better than two mages as knights, while their damage potential isn't quite as good as a mage, it's not limited in quantity. That, and a knight's damage potential isn't realized until you give them good gear.

And I realize that clerics can be a decent tank, but one of their weaknesses is that they receive fewer feats than knights. With a knight, there's almost no choice involved as they can get every useful feat. Also, they can't cast most of their spells while wielding a weapon and shield at the same time (I suppose you could take the still spell feat). And if the cleric doesn't craft, which one of the actual useful characters would take up the slack? ;p

kenney bounces

Liturgist
The game is actually pretty darn easy if you do this:

1) Don't press the level up button. (Say around lvl 5) Just keep going around and killing. You'll receive an insane amount of XP due to scaled XP.

2) Craft like mad using the saved up XP. Equip your chars with the most uber gear you can craft for your lvl.

Now you can win those tough boss fights easily. Heh.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
overall, the difficulty seems to come down to say icewind dale/BG levels (or less) once you craft weapons of

speed +destruction
for your knights

Especially for your dual wielder if you have one

I'm hoping that I just got them too early and the difficulty will ramp back up once I'm supposed to have max loot

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
do yourself a favor and craft a cloak of displacement for your mage asap, might come in handy when everyone makes a beeline for him

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
switch res in the window menu (F2)

aarrrgggh. I just learned the hard way that raised (from dead) chars lose massive xp, my knights now have 10000 less xp than the crafting cleric and wizard, too late to go back but anyway...show must go on, also that's p. cool actually

Dragon

Augur
VentilatorOfDoom said:
switch res in the window menu (F2)

Switching from 640x480 to 960x720 ? That was there from the start and it doesn't change the in-game resolution, only the size of the window.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
does anyone know where to use the Hill Giant Treasure Key? Where is the treazure?

edit: ok, found another secret door, there was also the scroll you need to get to the Frostgiants in there

PorkaMorka

Arcane
After completing the main quest, I'd have to say this game compares most directly to TOEE.

And it blows it out of the water.

They're both D&D 3rd edition tactics games with little or no plot.

But this game has far better encounter design, better AI and more tactics required.

The better encounter design is incredibly key. In TOEE you wiill all too often just fight like 20 bugbear fighters. Lots of simple one dimensional fights, very few well balanced enemy parties. In this game, you will typically face far more interesting encounters, either ones with a gimmick to keep you on your toes, or just a well balanced enemy force, warriors/priests/mages/archers/intelligent monsters.

And, while both games have little in the way of plot, in TOEE what plot there was often got in the way, for example Hommlet is pretty much torture to play through.

This game seems to take the inspiration from the old days when games accepted that the plot wasn't that great, and kept things fast paced so you could focus on the gameplay.

In conclusion, some random British guy > troika.

Don't get me wrong, the game has it's flaws, it's difficulty curve is a little wonky, some areas are too easy, some are too cheap (reload till you save vs instant death) and D&D especially at high levels isn't an ideal gaming environment, but it still is rather amazing how much it does right that other similar rpgs failed at.

People who beat it...question time about the final area's kinda crazy encounters. Spoilers ahead of course.

The big brawl with the red dragon and the multitudes of worshipers...how did you do it? I know there are more (possibly nastier) encounters afterwards, and I have no save but one right before the brawl, so I need to get through it with limited use of resources. The biggest problem is the dragon himself. Unbuffed, my Knights with +5 Holy weapons only have a 15% chance to hit him on the first attack; the one with the highest base attack bonus. But typically, he's buffed to the gills so only natural 20s are hits. Between his super-powered fire breath, tons of immunities, force-shield, and raw attack power...I can't damage race with him.

Trying to dispel his buffs is an exercise in futility, as his spell resistance takes stellar rolls to penetrate even with my mage having Improved Spell Penetration and metamagic feats. Not to mention, his Will saves are so insane only a natural one would be a failure. All of this makes attacking him with magic a pretty futile endeavor (outside of magic missile wands...which for some reason work). Harm would be cool to use...but he typically has a Death Ward spell on that isn't going to be dispelled...nor can its 80+ round duration be waited out.

What do I do against this monstrosity of high-level D&D? My first idea was to craft dragon-slaying arrows and try to peg him on the first round over and over hoping for a critical hit followed by a critical failure on his saving throw. But that kinda sucks, and isn't fun. I've been able to tactically dispatch every other fight up until now...and I'd like to be able to do so here....any advice? Also...what's after this mofo? Something worse?

Fezzik

Cipher
Spoilers.

I'm not sure whether I got lucky or if the dragon's cold resistance wore off, but what it boiled down to was webbing the dragon up, positioning the characters so that he couldn't fire-breath them all at once, and casting Freezing Sphere and that ninth level acid spell on him repeatedly.

I had to run through that fight many times, but the general sequence of actions that I think I took when I succeeded was (1) cast mass death ward to avoid being killed by those human slaying arrows; (2) using human-slaying arrows on the little army of archers; (3) use the spell dehydration to take as many down as possible; (4) web up the dragon and kill the last stragglers who might screw up my attack on the dragon.

After the dragon, there is a somewhat tough but more manageable fight against a lich, a bunch of high level babaus and some mummies. Luckily, you can leave the area and rest before you have to go at that fight. And finally, there is an optional crazy fight if you go back to the knight's keep and check in with the head honcho there. I haven't beaten that one.

Fezzik said:
Spoilers.I had to run through that fight many times, but the general sequence of actions that I think I took when I succeeded was (1) cast mass death ward to avoid being killed by those human slaying arrows; (2) using human-slaying arrows on the little army of archers;

That's generally what I was doing. It was a little funny though when an archer would have a better initiative roll than my Cleric or Mage and one-shot them with slaying arrows though.

(3) use the spell dehydration to take as many down as possible;

I guess a few scrolls of Dehydration couldn't hurt then.

(4) web up the dragon and kill the last stragglers who might screw up my attack on the dragon.

Web actually works on dragons? Huh...guess I must have been confusing it with BG2 dragons. Web was a super-spell in that game too...but the dragons were all immune to it.

After the dragon, there is a somewhat tough but more manageable fight against a lich, a bunch of high level babaus and some mummies. Luckily, you can leave the area and rest before you have to go at that fight.

So it's safe to go all out on the red dragon fight? That will make things a lot more manageable.

And finally, there is an optional crazy fight if you go back to the knight's keep and check in with the head honcho there. I haven't beaten that one.

Looking forward to this. Just how crazy is it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom