Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software King's Field (From Software)

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
how about making one thread compiling two styles: a) real-time Dungeon crawlers (obviously both western AND japanese because fuck grpg) and here for example goes grimrock, EotB, lands of lore, ultima underworld, etc; b) first-person (or over-the-shoulder but obviously meant to be a representation of a first-person-view) real-time crawlers like Hylide and King's Field and Shadow Tower and orcs and elves, etc. What do you think?
Sounds good to me, but hide them under spoilers or something so I won't have to make yet another cup of tea every time I try to browse these threads on my shitty laptop.
Souls series are great. As an entry point to popamole crowd who are willing to redeem themselves and play the God Tier games. :smug:

What's an example of the God Tier games?
King's Field and Shadow Tower series, of course.
Also Evergrace, because it's basically King's Field with third person perspective and dressup mechanics.
any genre allowed? or just Souls-type games? man, motherfucking blade of darkness.
More like KF-type games, but when it comes to third person games, it would be better to add only the games closer to Blade of Darkness or Souls series but include dungeon crawling in some way.

Unwanted
I've replied to "King's Field vs Souls" subject before (the post with some links in it). How to unsubscribe from a thread to not receive alerts?

Unwanted
My opinion is that Dark Souls 2 is the greatest game ever created. It's basically The Myth of Sisyphus by Albert Camus (and many other "philosophical masturbation(s)"), and this means a lot. I'm yet to find a game on a "typical high school English class lecture", so that's that.

I don't know what kind of opinion you want from me. And honestly, I absolutely have no time to write something as refined as these links, so I totally don't understand why you are asking me, when you have basically the most excellent and well-thought-out analysis of any video game I've ever seen.

(Big words, I know, but I'm being genuinely honest)

I'm already tired of this thread like of no other thing today, so please, leave me alone.

Unwanted
Yes, and I've got the feeling that DS2 is similar to old games, but what's your point?

Dark Souls 2 is the dearest gem to me. There's simply nothing as good as this game among video games. There's only abyss between DS2 and other games, so there's no point in arguing with me and hoping that you can change my mind or something. I don't care for your opinion either, as DS2 is the most underestimated game ever in my opinion, and I've seen a lot of misguided criticism before.

We can have a civil and polite discussion regarding DS2, of course. I'm open to criticism, but not the one forcing something on me, like "that game is better", because there's no point. There's a room for a genuine discussion, however, because I think there's a lot of misunderstanding regarding DS2, and I believe a lot of concerns can be avoided if you try to understand the design decisions in DS2. I've become an enthusiastic advocate of these decisions over the game life cycle (pun intended Kappa).

I'm just honest with you guys. That's my emotional response to this topic.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Baroque [PS2]
Oh, I should definitely play this one! I love 3rd Person games.
+M

EDIT: Okay, but seriously that's a nice list. Would Enclave and Rune be applicable on the 3rd Person side?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
First Person dung crawlers... Well, Ultima Underworld was (finally) mentioned.
I note another - inspired by UU no less - title called Arx Fatalis. Which might get, somewhere in the far future, remake on other engine called Arx - End of the Sun (check notes on the right, still working on it).
And there is biggest one called Demise - Revelation (previously named Demise Ascension and Rise of Ku'tan).
Every level here is massive and take hours upon hours to beat.

Riskbreaker

Will need to check out PSX version of Baroque one day. Our fallen brotha zwanzig_zwoelf was quite enthusiastic about recommending it and, according to him, game was (with some effort) fully playable for those with no knowledge of Japanese. I watched some gameplay vids of PSX version and yeah, one can definitely see the KF influence. It also also seems to be much slower, in addition to looking weirder and scarier, than the PS2 remake.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
having never really paid much attention to the 'Souls~ games i do declare the obviously best game from From is Shadow Tower cos you don't use pussy ass swords and farming tools and shit, nah son you're packing mad heat in shadow Tower dual wielding motherfuckin pistols and shit.

what, you think i'm lying? you think i'm crazy? WELL THEN. what about From subtly (lol subtly) now introducing guns into Bloodborneseries!? HUH? i'm telling you guys next Souls game will have a reload button. :salute:

a1.gif

:Blam: :blam: :blam:

muthafucka

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
EDIT: Okay, but seriously that's a nice list. Would Enclave and Rune be applicable on the 3rd Person side?
Let's see.
Enclave and Rune are going into more action-y territory with less RPG-related stuff, as far as I can tell. However, I played Enclave quite a while ago and barely touched Rune.
So I don't know for sure. Gotta play both of them again and see, unless someone is willing to say a few words for or against them.
First Person dung crawlers... Well, Ultima Underworld was (finally) mentioned.
I note another - inspired by UU no less - title called Arx Fatalis. Which might get, somewhere in the far future, remake on other engine called Arx - End of the Sun (check notes on the right, still working on it).
And there is biggest one called Demise - Revelation (previously named Demise Ascension and Rise of Ku'tan).
Every level here is massive and take hours upon hours to beat.
Good point, I'm a dumbfuck for forgetting about Arx Fatalis and Ultima Underworld. Also, original System Shock kinda meets the mark.
Will need to check out PSX version of Baroque one day. Our fallen brotha zwanzig_zwoelf was quite enthusiastic about recommending it and, according to him, game was (with some effort) fully playable for those with no knowledge of Japanese. I watched some gameplay vids of PSX version and yeah, one can definitely see the KF influence. It also also seems to be much slower, in addition to looking weirder and scarier, than the PS2 remake.
It IS playable, but I keep discovering items and shit that I've never encountered before and the effects are pretty weird. Prepare for a mindfuck fest later on.
Also, I'm alive, bruh.

Never got into a Souls game because I'm too much of an action player loser, and everything onscreen just bashes my head. Prepare to die, yeah well, when can I be allowed to be immersed in the atmosphere without practicing button-ku three hours a day ? (i know, I know the meme: git gud. Sorry I'm not gud).
Well, I'll go back to King's Field and Shadow Tower.
(And I hate learning bosse's pattern fights 30 times just to carry on; to each his own).

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Never got into a Souls game because I'm too much of an action player loser, and everything onscreen just bashes my head. Prepare to die, yeah well, when can I be allowed to be immersed in the atmosphere without practicing button-ku three hours a day ? (i know, I know the meme: git gud. Sorry I'm not gud).
(And I hate learning bosse's pattern fights 30 times just to carry on; to each his own).

Most bosses can be cheesed either with a summon or by parrying them.

git gud

Ash

Arcane
What is generally considered to be the best King's Field game? I only played KF4 years ago but wasn't all that impressed compared to the god-tier Underworld/Arx Fatalis. Only thing it did better to my satisfaction was general difficulty, but even then as mentioned right off the bat it throws you in Lava without any indication or chance of escape, which is just bullshit design, but thankfully I don't recall anything quite so silly after the fact.

Most bosses can be cheesed either with a summon or by parrying them.

And magic spam. Best thing you can do is just get gud at rolling though.

Hard to recommend others if you didn't like KF4 that much - it's the best in the series by far, in my opinion, even if it's not the largest game.

KF3 is pretty good but it's pretty difficult to stomach janky ass PS1 shifting polygons and a 10 metre fog line at this point in time.

Sacibengala

Prophet
For me the best one is the King's Field 3 (2 in the west). It is the more complex one in terms of lore, area design and items in my opinion. The gameplay and graphics cant even be argued about, because it is problably crap by actual standards, but the items are pretty cool at the time, the areas have awesome exploration and diversity in terms of a ps1 3d seamless world. It's above the two first game in almost everything, but not performance. Kings Field 3 has shitty performance.

Exhuminator

Arcane
I love King's Field. This year I finally finished all the mainline King's Field games... KF1, KF2, KF3, and KF4. I even finished KF3: Pilot Style. In addition I beat Shadow Tower 1 & 2, and even completed Eternal Ring. As far as I know, I've beaten every first person console dungeon crawler FromSoftware has made. It took a few years yeah, but was a good time. Has anyone else around here beaten all these games as well?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom