Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

King's Bounty: Warriors of the North

Gregz

Arcane
Loved Armored Princess and Crossworlds, not crazy about the skill trees I've seen on this one.

Will be reading :obviously: reviews here at the Codex so I hope some of you bros plan on playing this.

Release is same time as PoE, so I'll probably wait for a couple patches anyway.

Regardless, if you haven't at least tried KB:CW you missed out on a great game!

is there any game buntle that includes both games into the single game??

like next, next, next, install all done with all patches .. play everything??

Basically KB:CW is an upgraded version of KB:AP.

So shop/procure KB:CW and ignore KB:AP.

Gregz

Arcane

ok.. just one more.. is there any patches that are available??

I haven't played it in about 6 months, I'm not aware of any fan patches.

Just try to get the latest official/supported patch.

Also, I recommend googling for a game scanner, and maybe researching a build ahead of time...the scanner will let you verify that the artifact(s) which best suit your build are in the game you generate. I had to restart about 7 times before the item set I wanted cropped up. Link is on their forums somewhere.

tindrli

Arcane

ok.. just one more.. is there any patches that are available??

I haven't played it in about 6 months, I'm not aware of any fan patches.

Just try to get the latest official/supported patch.

Also, I recommend googling for a game scanner, and maybe researching a build ahead of time...the scanner will let you verify that the artifact(s) which best suit your build are in the game you generate. I had to restart about 7 times before the item set I wanted cropped up. Link is on their forums somewhere.

didnt know shit about those artifacts.. ok.. thank you.. will find everything

Misconnected

Savant
I'd recommend getting King's Bounty: The Legend instead. In terms of gameplay, Crossworlds is the same just with fewer and less rough rough edges. But the fluff - the story and exploration stuff - is a large part of the attraction. CW isn't bad at all, don't get me wrong. They're both funny and charming with a tendency towards the absurd. But CW isn't likely to make you laugh and go WFT?! out loud. TL, on the other hand, almost certainly will with some frequency.

Whether you go for TL, AP or CW, though, I'd suggest you install the GUI mod and otherwise make your first playthrough as blind as possible.

Once you've learnt what not to do, and then learnt how to exploit the system, then you can start worrying about world-gen. But these are some of those rare few games where getting to that point is entertaining in itself. So don't deprive yourself of that experience. More, while it is absolutely possible to get screwed by world-gen in various ways (if I'm not mistaken, you can even be screwed out of a couple of side quests), as far as I'm aware world-gen can't screw you out of a no-loss run on max difficulty. Which - to me - is all the more reason to stay away from on-line resources until you've actually done that.

And, of course, the extension of what I just said is that you should absolutely not believe the near-universal claim of game reviewers that TL and AP/CW have highly uneven difficulty curves. If you hit a brick wall, there's ways around it. Ways, plural. Figuring out what they are on your own is part of what makes the games so satisfying.

sigma1932

Augur
I loved KB & AP, but did they really need to release the same freaking game 4 times? Move the fuck on and give me something new.
Careful what you wish for.

You could end up with another HOMM4 and 6 after getting 3 and 5... some people even raged a little about going from 3 to 5 while skipping 4 completely.

The world would be a better place if more sequels were close to carbon-copies of their near-flawless predecessors, only with new content and small improvements, building upon - not fixing - the mechanics already in place.
Indeed.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
They're going to have to release many more King's Bounty games before I grow tired of them, even if they are very similar :D

tindrli

Arcane
I'd recommend getting King's Bounty: The Legend instead. In terms of gameplay, Crossworlds is the same just with fewer and less rough rough edges. But the fluff - the story and exploration stuff - is a large part of the attraction. CW isn't bad at all, don't get me wrong. They're both funny and charming with a tendency towards the absurd. But CW isn't likely to make you laugh and go WFT?! out loud. TL, on the other hand, almost certainly will with some frequency.

Whether you go for TL, AP or CW, though, I'd suggest you install the GUI mod and otherwise make your first playthrough as blind as possible.

Once you've learnt what not to do, and then learnt how to exploit the system, then you can start worrying about world-gen. But these are some of those rare few games where getting to that point is entertaining in itself. So don't deprive yourself of that experience. More, while it is absolutely possible to get screwed by world-gen in various ways (if I'm not mistaken, you can even be screwed out of a couple of side quests), as far as I'm aware world-gen can't screw you out of a no-loss run on max difficulty. Which - to me - is all the more reason to stay away from on-line resources until you've actually done that.

And, of course, the extension of what I just said is that you should absolutely not believe the near-universal claim of game reviewers that TL and AP/CW have highly uneven difficulty curves. If you hit a brick wall, there's ways around it. Ways, plural. Figuring out what they are on your own is part of what makes the games so satisfying.

what GUI mod for crossworlds ?? seems that my search engine cant find anything called crossworlds GUI mod or similar.. or im stupid which can also be true

and what does it do anyway???

Misconnected

Savant
Sorry, it's been quite a while so my memory apparently got a bit fuzzy. Take a look at this thread. You want the Interface mod and the Camera mod. Both should work just fine with Crossworlds.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
I cant finish AP, the last 2 bosses are too hard on hard with a mage :cry:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

I could not finish the first game and AP because of this shit. The games are unbalanced and there is too much grind. And I'm probably a lousy player ...

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

I could not finish the first game and AP because of this shit. The games are unbalanced and there is too much grind. And I'm probably a lousy player ...

I finished all the new KB games with a mage on the hardest difficulty with little trouble. Granted I did kill all enemies/did all quests, dont know if that counts as grinding... Anyway I strongly recommend ditching damaging spells in favor of control ones. As in DnD they simply do not compare to good crowd control.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Ah, see! Challenging and fun!

And boredom. I basically given up because of backtracking: the game is quite intelligent in forcing the player to change his armies formations, but I did not want to change my winning formula. Therefore I had to do a lot of backtracking and even with all islands unlocked, I could not take it anymore. That's neither challenging or fun. Is just grind.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

I finished all the new KB games with a mage on the hardest difficulty with little trouble. Granted I did kill all enemies/did all quests, dont know if that counts as grinding... Anyway I strongly recommend using ditching damaging spells in favor of control ones. As in DnD they simply do not compare to good crowd control.

Good choice. Try a paladin ... :P

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I never finished it even though I liked it quite a bit. Main reason was having to backtrack two islands to find the one spot where I could buy a black dragon every single time I lost one. Waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much focus on finishing each find not just in great fashion but absolutely perfectly. So yeah, GREAT fan of the fundamental mechanics, but necessity of perfect fights/backtracking to buy a single unit whenever you lose one crushed it for me. Which is sad, because as I said I really liked the game.

cutterjohn

Cipher
Upcoming in the next month. It's basically just another iteration of the Legend and Armored Princess. If, for some reason, you didn't get enough with those games here's another one!

<snip>
Christ! Haven't they milked this enough already?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

I finished all the new KB games with a mage on the hardest difficulty with little trouble. Granted I did kill all enemies/did all quests, dont know if that counts as grinding... Anyway I strongly recommend using ditching damaging spells in favor of control ones. As in DnD they simply do not compare to good crowd control.

Good choice. Try a paladin ... :P

When I looked at warrior/paladin skills and compared them to mage they seemed to be undepowered. And here I see people complaining about mages, how come?

Terpsichore

Arcane
Because a single big stack of weak and cheap troops can oneshot everything including bosses.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Short Answer: Leadership. Mages get pitiful leadership, so your army is perhaps one fifth of that of a warrior, and one third of a paladin. You can shore some of that up with summoning spells though, but they tend to be expensive and not allow for dualcasting.

GreyViper

Prophet
Been playing the Red Sands Mod and have to say I like the additions it adds, still yet to reach Red Sands map. But overall improves KB: Crossworlds. One thing I wish is that the guy who composed the soundtrack would do another one for other games, even more fantastic if he did for PE.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron

I finished all the new KB games with a mage on the hardest difficulty with little trouble. Granted I did kill all enemies/did all quests, dont know if that counts as grinding... Anyway I strongly recommend ditching damaging spells in favor of control ones. As in DnD they simply do not compare to good crowd control.

I have thought about this and this is most probably my problem. I can't beat the Gremmling with my mage, it's offensive firespell based as damage.

The rest of game up to this point was not hard tbh, i just need to kill the gemmling and the endboss on the dinosaur island.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom