Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

King's Bounty: Warriors of the North

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Upcoming in the next month. It's basically just another iteration of the Legend and Armored Princess. If, for some reason, you didn't get enough with those games here's another one!

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Previous titles had too much grinding for my taste. Will pass this one probably.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Wow, been a whole year -- how much time did they need when they're using a ton of the same assets?!?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The release has been pushed back several times, they first said the game would be released April this year. We still don't have a concrete release date, so I won't be surprised if it's further delayed.

Gregz

Arcane
Loved Armored Princess and Crossworlds, not crazy about the skill trees I've seen on this one.

Will be reading :obviously: reviews here at the Codex so I hope some of you bros plan on playing this.

Release is same time as PoE, so I'll probably wait for a couple patches anyway.

Regardless, if you haven't at least tried KB:CW you missed out on a great game!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Might pick it up at some huge discount but I'm not really dying to play more of the same. Not sure what a review could tell you that you don't already know: there were very little differences between Legend and AP/CW and very little between this and AP/CW on first glance.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
It's Armor Princess: Vikings Edition! Because after the mainstream success of Amon Amarth and Skyrim, Vikings are apparently all the rage now.

Meh. As I said elsewhere, since it is just Armored Princess with a few tweaks, I will be skipping this until it's very cheap. Maybe if this had come out 2ish years ago, I'd care more.

Any good (i.e. detailed) list of the differences?

Both KB:TL and KB:AP were enjoyable but felt padded by useless battles that took too long to complete the more you went on (KB:TL being far worse than KB:AP in this). While mechanically the games were nearly identical with just a few units and spells added on, KB:AP still certainly improved a ton on KB:TL. If WotN is even better refined I will buy this in a heartbeat.

Alas, less boob surface area on the cover.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
For me, one of the biggest issues was always variety, it just keeps repeating itself so much. Here's one island with only pirate enemies(essentially 3 types of enemies). Here's another with only vikings and bears. It just gets so fucking boring since all the fights are so very very similar and tightly packed.

I think this is why I enjoyed the arena mode in crossworlds so much. Each fight is different and each fight is challenging.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
All the new KB games were extremely boring, repetitive titles, skilfully made to look like something pretty cool for the first 2-3 hours.

Tigranes

Arcane
I loved KB & AP, but did they really need to release the same freaking game 4 times? Move the fuck on and give me something new.

Misconnected

Savant
I loved KB & AP, but did they really need to release the same freaking game 4 times? Move the fuck on and give me something new.

Yeah, seriously! Fuck those guys for serving the fanbase with proper, faithful sequels. Give us some New Shit already! I want KB: Smells Like Cod™.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Where did I say I didn't like the King's Bounty games? I said that Legend, AP/CW, and this new one are nigh indistinguishable from each other. And since 99% of the appeal of this series is in the tactical combat it is fairly irrelevant that they offer new story lines/quests. I hate to say something as herpaderpy as 'reading comprehension 4tw' but you have a bad habit of putting words in my mouth/posts and inferring opinions that clearly aren't in the statements I make.

Hell, if you look at most of the other comments in this thread you'll see they all agree with me that they just keep shoveling out the same game with only minor enhancements. I guess they all hate the series, too, right?

Misconnected

Savant
I can't agree with that, Metro. The weird silly was significantly toned down in CW, and as a consequence I didn't enjoy it as much as I did TL. Even though CW is a far more polished game. That said, I loved both, and I'd love to get a new, but faithful sequel every 1-2 years for the foreseeable future. What I want from the franchise is a re-skinned KB:TL every so often. And I'm thrilled that's what they're trying to do.
Just like I'd be thrilled if Nival got back HoMM, because they've proved they're ready and willing to make re-skins of HoMM3, and that's what I want from that franchise.

As far as I'm concerned, neither one of those games are broken. So while I'd love a steady stream of sequels for both, I sure as hell don't want them to try to fix anything. I didn't mean to suggest that anyone here seriously wanted KB: The FPS. But at least for me it is difficult not to look to the HoMM franchise and recognise that every time every developer has tried to fix or improve on HoMM3 in some way, the result has been a shockingly much worse game.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Misconnected: Exactly! The world would be a better place if more sequels were close to carbon-copies of their near-flawless predecessors, only with new content and small improvements, building upon - not fixing - the mechanics already in place.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Misconnected: Exactly! The world would be a better place if more sequels were close to carbon-copies of their near-flawless predecessors, only with new content and small improvements, building upon - not fixing - the mechanics already in place.

You mean like every modern, mainstream game released today?

Gregz

Arcane
Where did I say I didn't like the King's Bounty games? I said that Legend, AP/CW, and this new one are nigh indistinguishable from each other. And since 99% of the appeal of this series is in the tactical combat it is fairly irrelevant that they offer new story lines/quests. I hate to say something as herpaderpy as 'reading comprehension 4tw' but you have a bad habit of putting words in my mouth/posts and inferring opinions that clearly aren't in the statements I make.

Hell, if you look at most of the other comments in this thread you'll see they all agree with me that they just keep shoveling out the same game with only minor enhancements. I guess they all hate the series, too, right?

I get all that, and I don't disagree with most of your points, but sometimes I wonder if you've gone full Skyway.

I can't remember you ever praising a game, ever, that doesn't mean you haven't I'm just curious which games over say...the last 10 years...you like? Simple question, not a troll.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

A carbon-copy of Gears of War is useless to me. But yes, in essence I'm a fan of that concept. Some of the strongest series are built on this concept. Infinity Engine games, Civilization (again, Civ5 tried to fix stuff and thus killed the gameplay), Heroes (except the horrible #4), and many more.

I wish more good series used the "why fix it if it ain't broken"-attitude.

Misconnected

Savant

You mean like FiraXcom, The Elder Fallout & AfriCry? Yeah, I see what you mean...

Correlation doesn't necessarily mean there's a causal relationship. Sequelitis, simplification and stagnation in the gaming landscape, for example, coincide quite nicely, but they really have f-all to do with each other.

Sequelitis naturally happens when there's a bunch of beloved gameplay archetypes in a bunch of beloved IPs. People want a repeat experience with more polish and improved graphics. Which means sequels that add revitalise replay value, have better graphics, are better balanced, but are otherwise identical to the original game.

Stagnation and simplification happens when the entities that fund game development take an active role in game design. They want to use existing IPs because doing so hopefully lets them hook into an existing customer base. And they want to every game to be a cinematic corridor shooter, because those have the widest known audience. The result is that AAA games become sequels-in-name-only, with gameplay more or less drastically changed to appeal to everyone, from horror-punks to nazi-christians, between the ages of alive and dead.
I wouldn't be surprised if the slow slide towards Awsum Button! is really all about trying to incorporate the One-Armed Man into the audience.

That people want to experience more of the same gameplay and IP, but without feeling like they're retreading old ground, doesn't mean that they don't also want entirely original experiences. And that AAA funders are risk adverse and money hungry aren't inherently bad things. It just means we should stop expecting them to drive more than the technical evolution of gaming. It's really not terribly different from cinema. Nobody expects Hollywood to be the driving force behind the evolution of the use of the media. We only expect them to be the driving force behind the technical side of it, and they do meet that expectation (though terribly fucking slowly... Gamingland evolution has been a hell of a lot faster, thankfully).

tindrli

Arcane
Loved Armored Princess and Crossworlds, not crazy about the skill trees I've seen on this one.

Will be reading :obviously: reviews here at the Codex so I hope some of you bros plan on playing this.

Release is same time as PoE, so I'll probably wait for a couple patches anyway.

Regardless, if you haven't at least tried KB:CW you missed out on a great game!

is there any game buntle that includes both games into the single game??

like next, next, next, install all done with all patches .. play everything??

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom