Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning?

Ivory Samoan

Liturgist
Boy, does it feel good to be right. The combat system is very good. There are two attack buttons, and any weapon can be bound to each of them. I didn't get to use every weapon type in the demo, but the ability descriptions in the move list make them all sound pretty diverse: swords can launch enemies into the air, hammers knock things down, staves cluster enemies together (making them perfect targets for AoE spells), chakram attacks create distance between you and the target, and so on. Depending on your weapon selection, your approach to enemies will change. Equipping a sword and a fast weapon like a pair of daggers allows you to do potent juggle combos, while equipping two ranged weapons enables you play Dhalsim-esque keepaway game.

On the defensive side, there's rolling and blocking. I think rolls don't have invincibility frames (at least not for the entire duration), but they do offer a percentile damage reduction bonus that can be further increased by equipping a finesse-oriented destiny (more on these later). Blocking seems to eliminate the damage entirely, but it has quite a few recovery frames, so it's difficult to punish blocked enemy attacks. That is, unless you tap the blocking button right when the attack connects, in which case there's no recovery time for your character, and the enemy is put in a second of hit stun. Think Royal Guard.

There's also this purple bar that fills up as you fight. It can be used to activate the Reckoning mode, which is basically Devil Trigger and the Quicksilver style combined. It increases the damage you deal and slows everyone else down, allowing you to do otherwise impossible combos. When you exit this state, all defeated enemies unravel into threads that are absorbed by your character. If you mash a button during this animation, you gain bonus XP. X-TREME and stuffies.

As you level up, you get ability points. These are spent on buying new attacks and spells, as well upgrading the ones you already know. All abilities are split into three categories: Might, Finesse and Sorcery. Investing enough points into these ability trees unlocks destines. These are basically classes, and only one can be equipped at a time. Mostly, they give various percentile bonuses to your character's attributes, but some magic-oriented destinies make a big change: they turn rolling into teleportation. According to interviews, some destinies are unlocked by completing certain quests and advancing the plot.

On the negative side, enemies have way too little HP. There's a hard difficulty setting that is locked in the demo. Hopefully, it fixes this issue because it would greatly improved what already is a very good ARPG.
Agree with the combat viewpoints - fun combo'ing up going between your primary/secondary and magic abilities.. the potential for a lot more intricate boss fights and group fighting dynamics is right up there.
For 3-week from release demo it was pretty buggy however... in saying that, it's over a month old demo-sized build that was submitted for platform approvals.

Big Huge Games have a potential hit on their hands here, i'll be picking this one up for sure :cool:

WalmartJesus

Learned
I played through the Demo earlier....Despite being shallow,I had fun (reminds me of Fable with more RPG elements). I didnt even mind the WoW artstyle like some people on here do.

I'm even ironically getting a kick outta RA Salvatore's shitty fantasy cheese-fest that makes up this games writing/lore.

*shrugs* Atleast Big Huge Games were honest about Kingdoms of Amalur being a simple,pick up and play console ARPG...unlike Bethesda,who hypefucked Oblivion up as *TEh Messiah* that's done things no other RPG has ever done before it. :roll:

MetalCraze

Arcane
6 or so and you can even combine them together with more buttons and hat moves to get kewl tricks. Obviously sucks in comparison with an innovative RPG combat of Rolston here.

Ermm

Erudite
Oh my god, so much cock sucking for this.

I am suprised at how many people are wow-ing about ''WOW'' style graphics here. I remember that HOMMV had similar graphics, and they actually were kind of good (contrary to popular opinion). And these are the same people who said that Deus Ex: Human Revolution would be an weaboo japanese popshit because main character had kind of a spiked hair (actually, I really thought he looked like Eastern European DJ, but whatever).

And Todd Mcfarlane and RA Salvatore is like mixing turds and shits.

I'm even ironically getting a kick outta RA Salvatore's shitty fantasy cheese-fest that makes up this games writing/lore.

Yeah, yeah, whatever you say.

Still, I am kind of tempted to try it out.

WalmartJesus

Learned

Yeah, yeah, whatever you say.

Still, I am kind of tempted to try it out.

Funny thing is, Compared to his usual Drizzt Do'urden/Forgotten Realms Wankery....the Writing in this game actually isnt all that bad.

RA Salvatore would probably make a better Game writer.

MaroonSkein

Augur
6 or so and you can even combine them together with more buttons and hat moves to get kewl tricks. Obviously sucks in comparison with an innovative RPG combat of Rolston here.
It actually has two: one for swords and one for guns. There's also the style button, but only 2 styles (out of 6 in DMC 3) give you new attacks. How do you get Dante to do different attacks? Three ways, depending on the move: you hold a button (charged shots), you make a pause between button presses (melee strings) or you tilt the stick and press a button at the same time (special moves).

Believe it or not, controls in Kingdoms of Amalur work in a very similar fashion. Weapon-specific special attacks are accessed by making a pause between two button presses, attacking out of a roll or attacking out of a parry. Special abilities that don't require a particular weapon are used by holding R2 and pressing a face button (any ability can be assigned to any button). Ingenious, isn't it?

Also, I played through the demo again, paying more attention to the mechanics, and I was mistaken about what shields do. Instead of reducing the damage to zero, they reduce it by a fixed number that depends on the shield you have equipped. To sum it up, rolling and blocking offer two different kinds of damage reduction: percentile and absolute, respectively. That's actually pretty cool.

MaroonSkein

Augur
So what you are telling me is that there are 80 combos in Amalur and chained attacks?
I just took a look at the in-game move list, and I counted 5 attacks for longswords, 3 for hammers, 4 for greatswords, 4 for daggers, 3 for longbows, 4 for faeblades, 3 for staves, 2 for scepters, 3 for chakrams and 1 for shields, as well as 4 might abilities, 4 finesse abilities and 4 sorcery abilities. That's 44 in total. Note that I did not count moves that are not used in combos, such as blocking, backstabbing, buffs and healing spells. I'm quite confident that there are, in fact, more than 80 combos that can be made using 44 individual moves.

WalmartJesus

Learned
MaroonSkein...the combos are shallow,fun yeah,but still shallow

That's fine if you wanna think this game has combat depth on the same level as DMC3 or NGB....but dont be surprised if people assume you were born with fetal alcohol syndrome.

MaroonSkein

Augur
MaroonSkein...the combos are shallow,fun yeah,but still shallow

That's fine if you wanna think this game has combat depth on the same level as DMC3 or NGB....but dont be surprised if people assume you were born with fetal alcohol syndrome.
I never said that combat in KoA, overall, is as good as in DMC or NG. It isn't. However, it is weak enemies that hold the game back. The combo system has as much depth as the one in DMC and more depth than the one in NG. That's a fact. KoA is a very important milestone for ARPGs. I truly hope that it sells well and opens the way for more games like it. An ARPG that takes the KoA formula and adds dangerous enemies to it will be a masterpiece.

WalmartJesus

Learned
I'd say the game is like God of War where the combos are fun,satisfying and easy to do.....but is still a shallow button masher at the end of the day.

and more depth than the one in NG

Even though I've only played the demo and not the whole game to see, I highly doubt the character's moveset will have the same fast sophisticated elegance of Ryu Hayabusa...

I mindlessly button mashed my way freely through the KoA demo,try that in Ninja Gaiden,and watch how fast you see that fucking game over screen.

KoA is a very important milestone for ARPGs

Demon's Souls and Dark Soul's combat > Kingdom of Amalur's

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
The interface is shitty and tedious. Esc should be used to access the system menu, for settings and quitting the game. But they got everything in there, including inventory. They should at least have auto-equip for when you haven't got any items on you already. Besides that, the buttons were badly placed, small, and didn't have a click surface area the same size as the actual buttons (on 1920x1080). Overall it was extremely console-design damaged. I don't know if they had any shortcut keys but there was nothing visible.

The camera was horrible. Luckily I could turn off post-processing effects but still the camera and how your characters moves 50% with it is fucking headache inducing.

No jumping. It's an action RPG just have fucking jumping in there.

Linearity. Granted, it's a tutorial, but it felt like going on rails.

I didn't like this at all.

I hope they outsource any sort of interface design in the future because as it is now they don't have what is required for an eventual MMORPG.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Seriously, playing KoA demo took me back to the 2000's, playing Rune on a PS2. Especially the UI of the game feels old & amateur.

I just can't imagine the developers of this game playing Dark Souls and still being proud of what they did.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You really shouldn't put this much trust into anyone's opinion. Try the demo yourself.

Nah, you're one of maybe two or three people here whose opinion on action games I fully trust. Plus I planned on buying it anyway if the feedback wasn't too negative. I may try out the demo some time closer to the release, though.

MaroonSkein

Augur
Welcome to the next gen of Codexers.

Suddenly my 2009 newfaggyness doesn't seem so bad, eh?
My original Codex account was created in 2007. I don't think it somehow makes me smarter than you or anyone else, mind you, but I suddenly felt compelled to share this little detail.
Even though I've only played the demo and not the whole game to see, I highly doubt the character's moveset will have the same fast sophisticated elegance of Ryu Hayabusa...
NG combat is dial-a-combo, just like God of War. There's very little room for improvisation there. What saves the game and elevates it above the rest of the genre is the aggressive AI.
Demon's Souls and Dark Soul's combat > Kingdom of Amalur's
Not in terms of the combo system, no. I do agree that enemies are stronger, and the difficulty is higher in the Souls games, which is exactly what KoA lacks.

Kraszu

Prophet
What is so fun about learning to press a combination of buttons fast? That is all that combos comes down to.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Did you even play past the intro? Once you get into the actual world (i.e. the first town and beyond) I think you'll realize it's more open than most other RPGs. Not true open-world, as it retains the structure of various hubs and zones, but the actual size of the world looks to rival something like Skyrim, without all the tedious filler hiking in between. Wouldn't be surprised if it's a lot more varied as well.

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah, I think you really need to play the actual world bits to get a decent impression of the game - if you're playing the tutorial bits for the very first time it's tedious, stupid, and boring. Afterwards, the only shitty part of the tutorial that remains is the screwed up art and the terrible UI/controls. Not minor, but still.

Without knowing what comes after, though, just looking at the first town, it's not as good as Div 2 (no console, no Dark Souls). Div 2 had a more polished world, a more alive world. I think there's a lot of interesting stuff in KoA but a lot of it simply feels amateur, in major part but not wholly due to the crappy visuals/controls. I'd say it's better than Two Worlds 2, but then I thought that game was simply so mediocre in every way, and was amateur in execution. Here the combat could possibly get fun after a few levels depending on how they've designed the creatures and hwo hard Hard is.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Did you even play past the intro?
Nope, I couldn't go on. I was having a headache because of the camera, for real. The UI and all the obligatory non-skippable tutorial bits made it take too long as well, even though I skipped everything I could. I thought I was nearing the end but then they wanted me to learn about magic as well so I just alt-f4'd.

Since everyone speaks so dearly about the post-tutorial bit then maybe I should give it another try.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom