Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I'm glad that you take that serious approach to RPG's, one that isn't unfortunately given much consideration in these troubled times. Have you considered these fine practices carefully designed to enhance your roleplaying experience?

Heh, I didn't even have to click on that link to know what it was. That was so predictable.
But hey, if that is what you consider role playing, be my guest.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Over the shoulder or behind the ass makes no indifference to me. I can't stand 3rd person view in a single character open 3D game world. In a Role Playing Game I want to be the character, not some puppet master remotely controling it.
No peripheral vision is awful and melee combat sucks in first person, Dark Messiah being a rare kinda-exception.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Come on, bro, why the hostility? I just tried to help you enhance your gaming immersion of being the character in the RPG.

Deleted member 7219

From everything that's come out, screenshots, developer interviews etc, it sounds worse than Arcania.

Now i'm the guy who played the Arcania demo and rather liked it. I played the full game recently, and couldn't even get past the starting section (that was in the demo), it was so fucking awful. I can't help but wonder why I thought differently before. I must have been suffering from a concussion. I shall never make the same mistake again.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Can't be worse than Arcania. I have a high tolerance for 'bad' and purchased Arcania for $5 during the Steam sale. I overpaid by $4.99. Only got about three hours in before I couldn't take it anymore. I might be able to tolerate the bland questing if the engine weren't so HORRIBLY optimized that even with all settings turned to low it still chugs along at horrendous FPS levels.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
No peripheral vision is awful and melee combat sucks in first person, Dark Messiah being a rare kinda-exception.

I've never had a problem with no peripheral vision. But you can always think of it as the effect of a helmet or hood, I guess.
As for good combat, which 3rd person RPGs have good combat? I tried Gothic, but can't remember that the combat was very exciting; certainly not as good as in Dark Messiah.

Come on, bro, why the hostility? I just tried to help you enhance your gaming immersion of being the character in the RPG.

It may have been helpful to you, but I don't need it. As long as I have 1st person view I can take it from there. But thanks for the concern.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Have you played Oblivion by the way? Best LARP simulator where you can be the character.

Sure. Oblivion is more of a role playing game than most of the old CRPGs. After all, in Oblivion you can role play any character you like, while in most classic CRPGs you are forced to play the good guys saving the world on a linear quest (not that it's anything wrong with that). It doesn't make (unmodded) Oblivion a good game, but it certainly is more of a role playing game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Sure. Oblivion is more of a role playing game than most of the old CRPGs. After all, in Oblivion you can role play any character you like, while in most classic CRPGs you are forced to play the good guys saving the world on a linear quest (not that it's anything wrong with that). It doesn't make (unmodded) Oblivion a good game, but it certainly is more of a role playing game.

tumblr_locwkywPoe1qe0ujdo1_100.jpg

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
screentemplate3-700x393.jpg

http://gamingshogun.com/2012/01/11/...nd-mass-effect-3-demo-crossover-announcement/

“We are excited to be collaborating with 38 Studios to bring pieces inspired by the Mass Effect universe into the world of Reckoning and to have items designed by Todd McFarlane in Mass Effect 3,” said Dr. Ray Muzyka, General Manager of EA’s BioWare Label and Co-Founder of BioWare. “This is an awesome way to reward our fans with unique content that not only looks cool, but also delivers some great in-game benefits.”

MaroonSkein

Augur
Over the shoulder or behind the ass makes no indifference to me. I can't stand 3rd person view in a single character open 3D game world. In a Role Playing Game I want to be the character, not some puppet master remotely controling it.
So when you play a party-based game, do you pretend that you are one of the 3 to 6 characters you're controlling, or do you LARP them all as different aspects of your psyche?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So when you play a party-based game, do you pretend that you are one of the 3 to 6 characters you're controlling, or do you LARP them all as different aspects of your psyche?

You just made my point why party based games are less of role playing games than Oblivion - you can't really role play in them.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I'm playing FF2 right now, and I am all of my party, at the same time. And we all enjoy grinding for stats. Glory to The Many.

kris

Arcane
So far I haven't heard anything about the plot and characters, though the gameplay looks decent (about the same 'quality' of DA2)

No quality then.

You know, WoW's combat system was actually pretty damned good. It's gone through many iterations, but it's about as good as a game can get in the action RPG combat department. It would be fantastic to see a single player cRPG use a system like it. Honestly, that would be a plus.

Unfortunately I played WOW and I fail to see how there is any "action" in its combat. And I don't know how anyone can say it is good. Unless you talk about group tactics or something like that (which I really has not experienced)

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Unfortunately I played WOW and I fail to see how there is any "action" in its combat. And I don't know how anyone can say it is good. Unless you talk about group tactics or something like that (which I really has not experienced)
Xi had a meltdown when OnLive predictably failed.

WalmartJesus

Learned
If Kingdoms of Amalur has bugs,watch how the mainstream AAA reviewers will tear the game to shreds and not "look the other way"......like they did with a certain AAA open-world RPG released two months ago.

Xi

Arcane
Xi had a meltdown when OnLive predictably failed.

You realize that the service is still expanding right? Expect to see more of it in the future, for better or for worse. It even opened up in Europe. Saying that it failed is pretty much like saying the sky is not blue. The cloud has taken over in just about every way.

Edit:

And it turns out that light may travel faster than originally thought.

http://science.slashdot.org/story/1...eriment-indicates-faster-than-light-neutrinos

Strange, I know. Impossible? Not even close.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The demo for KoA:R was released on EA's Origin today. As I have some hope for the game to be Fable-done-right, I'm downloading it right now. Size is 3 GB, though, so I might not be able share any impressions today.

ironyuri

The demo for KoA:R was released on EA's Origin today. As I have some hope for the game to be Fable-done-right, I'm downloading it right now. Size is 3 GB, though, so I might not be able share any impressions today.
I'd really like to see a Codex Baldur's Gate 2 solo LP done right.

Wish I had an LP update to post my impressions of.

kris

Arcane
If Kingdoms of Amalur has bugs,watch how the mainstream AAA reviewers will tear the game to shreds and not "look the other way"......like they did with a certain AAA open-world RPG released two months ago.

Fat chance. It is a EA game. Game could make their computer burn up and take their house/basement with it and they would still not complain.

anus_pounder

Arcane
3GB for a demo! Jesus Christ. I need to get with the times. I'm still stuck with the mentality that 3GB is a full game. :oops:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom