Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by DarthBehemoth, Jan 11, 2012.

1. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Click here and disable ads!
    I figured as much, I'm laughing at the joke, not at him. ;)
    Shannow Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  2. Stinger Augur

Stinger
    From a different IGN preview for Amalur:

Make up your fucking mind!
    Zlaja Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  3. Omicron Educated

Omicron
    :retarded:
    ^ Top  
  4. Stasgard Educated

Stasgard
    Clearly what is desired is not in fact C&C, but just choices. Explains a lot.
    ^ Top  
  5. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    ^ Top  
  6. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    And the buzzword for today is....GAMEPLAY!
    ^ Top  
  7. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    Gameplay is not a buzzword, it's the real deal. Go back to the Bioware forums and discuss your Garrus on Talia buttsecks fantasies there.
    ^ Top  
  8. Jasede Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Jasede
    Not trying to piss in your cereal - maybe this game will be okay - but that IGN review is pretty terribly written.

Like every IGN review, come to think of it.
    ^ Top  
  9. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    That review is from the same jerk who wrote what I copypasted earlier, I don't trust him.
    All those words? Completely untrustworthy.
    ^ Top  
  10. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    Well, dumb review or not. I played the demo, and while the whole world design etc. was kinda generic, I liked the combat system, the sneaking, and the way you can develop your character. Plus no fucking bro-mances and other faggy stuff. Rolston & Co. stay true to their old-school shit at least.
    ^ Top  
  11. AlaCarcuss Arbiter

AlaCarcuss
    lol Wut? All my consoles are modded - haven't paid for a console game in years.

My 360 version of this game is on it's way as we speak. It'll go on my 1TB external USB drive with all the others.

Once you mod your consoles, piracy is much easier than even on PC, as essentially all games are DRM free (i.e. no cracks required).

EDIT: Oh, I see - my sarcasm detector is malfunctioning. :roll:
    ^ Top  
  12. Stinger Augur

Stinger
    Fuck off, why is this IGN guy already calling GOTY this early on in the year.

Does IGN just call GOTY over every game they play with moderate hype?
    ^ Top  
  13. Azalin Arcane Patron

Azalin
    No I believe they do it only when they receive a sufficiently large paycheck
    ^ Top  
  14. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    It's not a choice if you don't choose.
    ^ Top  
  15. Commissar Draco KKKodex WCDS Commissar

Commissar Draco
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    For bros and comrades who completed the demo. Will be it worth atleast pirating for storyfag who liked FNV? If this is more mech than first few hours of Skyrim which was good for what it was (hiking simulator with breathtaking scenery and decent art direction) I won't waste Potatoes and/or bandwith.
    ^ Top  
  16. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    I have no comparison with Skyrim as a never played any TES game, but if you like something like DA:O (minus dwarve secks and typical Biowarian bullshit) with Fable graphics and better combat you might get an idea of Amalur.
    ^ Top  
  17. MaroonSkein Prestigious Gentleman Augur

MaroonSkein
    I liked the premise behind the House of Ballads: a bunch of elven LARPers recreates the deeds of great heroes because they believe in reincarnation and cyclic history. Otherwise, the story side seems to be pretty forgettable. It's certainly a game for combatfags.
    ^ Top  
  18. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Combat is pretty boring and feels like a single player MMO for the most part. Or a Gothic with no AI and no difficulty. The only question is whether it gets better when you level up a bit, but that would either require a massive incline in enemy design, or you just really liking stringing combos against helpless critters.
    anus_pounder Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  19. sser Arcane

sser
    My interest in this has gone up a bit. Maybe it's just me lapping about in a dinghy hoping for some game to save me from this shitty sea of mediocrity.
    ^ Top  
  20. sea Prestigious Gentleman I support InXile

sea
    I've been playing the full version for the last couple of days. I doubt I can have a full review ready in time for launch considering the size of the game (probably 100-150 hours), and I don't know how much I can talk about (not sure about any embargo terms but I'd rather be safe than sorry). However, a few quick (mostly technical) impressions without going into any spoilers/details:

- The bugs are fixed. I have encountered maybe one or two at most. The biggest problem on PC are periodic crashes, which could be either my system or the game, but hopefully that will be improved with patches. As far as stability and polish go it's one of the better RPGs I've played recently.

- It gets harder. The first couple areas are nice and easy but once you start facing off against tough enemies like trolls fairly regularly, the game goes into ass-kicking mode. Button-mashing will get you stunlocked to death and blocking, dodging, parrying, using skills etc. are essential to survival. It's not exactly Gothic but there is definitely challenge in appropriate places.

- The PC controls, FOV and camera have not been improved in the retail build, but the developers are reportedly working on a patch based on community feedback. The UI is also pretty bad and has seen very few if any improvements since the demo. Inventory management is straight-up annoying, and given the focus on loot you'll be doing a lot of it.

Overall I'm having a lot of fun with it. The game is simple in a lot of ways, but in not trying too hard to be anything other than a lighthearted action RPG with good combat, it doesn't set the bar so high to trip over it. Just don't go in expecting too much depth. I can't recommend it to everyone, but it's probably the most fun I've had with a game of this type in at least a year or two - any complaints I can think of come down more to style than anything else.
    ^ Top  
  21. anus_pounder Arcane

anus_pounder
    Should be obvious to anyone who cares, but the unofficial version of KoA is out. A semi-working crack is also out there, though apparently the rock troll is unbeatable ? Anyway, sounds like a perfect opportunity to demo the game.
    ^ Top  
  22. Trash Simply fabulous

Trash
    It feels like a wierd mix between Fable II and WoW that just doesn't gel together that well and somehow loses all the positives from these games. Dunno, I can see some nice aspects but quickly grew very, very tired of the game. Mediocre at best.
    ^ Top  
  23. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Angthoron
    sea, what version, if any, requires Origin? There's the obvious Steam and boxed options, and I'm wondering which of them has that spyware bundled with it.
    ^ Top  
  24. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    Boxed version uses Origin, Steam version is gonna be published by 38 Games, thus no Origin.
    ^ Top  
  25. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Angthoron
    Great, thanks.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)