Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kingdome Come: Deliverance ENDING discussion. SPOILERS ahead.

KCD, incline or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mildTea

Learned
Two weeks have passed and despite KCD's length, there are already many who have finished it and might want to discuss the ending of the game or the road ahead without needing to use the SPOILER tags in every post. Here we go.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
:5/5::2/5:
They really didn't think all the systems through, too much ambitious stuff that plain doesn't work. I'm gonna vote incline because I want to see who voted for what but I'd have a hard time saying it's above 7/10, maybe even below that. I didn't have enough pure fun like I did with Elex, but the story is so unfinished, dragged out and paced so horribly that I didn't even care too much about it.
Most of the quests were fedex, Dragonul had a point about 'deep choice and consequence in fetch quests' since that's all that happened most of the time, some boring dialogue blah blah blah, go get this that and that and come back to me for a shit tier reward. It's funny how the most engaging quests I remembered were the bandit and cuman camp quests by Bernard and Robard, since they were to the point and actually interesting for once.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Which systems do you mean? I mean they aren't balanced properly throughout the game, but I think their basics are okay and they can be fixed with tuning.
The AI, combat, dialogue and random encounters all break down after mid-late game, and the game has a lot of poorly thought out systems and mechanics like haggling which is completely pointless. Even Oblivion didn't have this broken of an economy, it took me far longer to get 2000 gold in Oblivion than in this, I just killed a few bandits and stole some gold from the Lords in Rattay. Leather gloves alone cost like 75 groschen, kill 3 bandits and you have 225 right there. The constant loading screens were abysmal too.

I'd also like to point out the major flaw for me in the story at the end where Istvan clearly cares a lot about Karl (the kid in the white armor) who he raised but Karl turns pointless just minutes later and he's mentioned but forgotten. So he cares about him, but not enough to do any sort of trade.
What a fucking retard, even if he refused to do anything he'd be starved to death and if he killed Stephaine and Radzig both he and Karl would die or be captured and tortured in a heartbeat. Honestly it was just a piss poor excuse for a DLC or sequel in my eyes.
The game has great ideas but story pacing is so poor and quest design so banal that I stop caringabout the game the least.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Woah, now this is effortposting. Respect, I'd brofist if I could.
Monastary was awful. Do simple as fuck chores for hours in a extremely clunky way (without any time skipping built in if you arrive at mass or eat so you can follow it proper, or more things to do if you have done potions/book writing and there is no schedule written down anywhere either) and get punished for being clever by trying to bring in weapons inside after finding the key early in the kitchen by the game just taking them away from you magically if you go outside and come back inside. Should have just snuck in with a dagger and black clothes and stabbed the shit out of Antonius instead of doing all of that shit. I got sent to isolation at least 4 times since I didn't know there was mass twice instead of just once.
Never played Mafia though, but I have heard how awful that mission apparently is.

On Stephanie, I think it was just this game's token bad forced romance character. I get that she is lonely, that's obvious in the first time you talk to her but does she really give out that easy, for me fucking doing her chores in a shitty little fedex quest?

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
The game is good at core but it needed more refinement. They aren't going to patch to overhaul the entire game, so what they will do with these core systems and if they can fix it will be seen in Kingdom Come: More Deliveranced. My main issues are still how unsatisfying the combat is, how bad the quests are, how padded out it is and how empty the world is.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Something I have noticed is that people who are most positive over this game have yet to finish it.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The quickest way now seems to just get admitted and get a lockpick or a key from the priar. Then get kicked, return in plate armour, kill all the novices or Antonius only if you read in the abbot's book, get jailed for a week and then be released. Least waiting from all the possibilities. 1 week in Sasau jail takes less time than going through one day of monastery routine.
After finding out it was Antonius from the journal I just reloaded a save made prior to joining, popped a padfoot potion, snuck in at night through the side entrance and murdered him in his sleep. Looted the die and bolted out to meet up with the swamp gang. Quest marked as failed but the story progressed without issue.

mildTea

Learned
After finding out it was Antonius from the journal I just reloaded a save made prior to joining, popped a padfoot potion, snuck in at night through the side entrance and murdered him in his sleep. Looted the die and bolted out to meet up with the swamp gang. Quest marked as failed but the story progressed without issue.

You didn't miss anything. Until they repair the waiting mechanics during the chores and lower the time thresholds for circators to punish you, the quest is utterly uninteresting and boring.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yeah I spent a couple hours in there before reloading and it's rampant storyfaggotry. Truly a shame since the concept itself is interesting as you mentioned above. Could've been the most memorable sequence in the game, and maybe it still is, in a bad way. I was surprised the quest marked as failed at the time, but later met similar illogical quest progression with the hare hunt/sheep in wolf clothing quests where minor deviations again trigger failure despite meeting overarching objectives. Gallows brothers even got tied up in that due to Bernard/Robard (whichever) and Andrew's presence.

Meeting up with the Hare and agreeing to work with him via Margaret fails hare hunt even though nobody else witnesses that exchange. Informing Bernard/Robard and going to the clearing to side with the soldiers fails sheep in wolf clothing when you've already effectively exposed the poachers, and not informing Bernard/Robard while siding with the poachers fails hare hunt regardless of no surviving witnesses. Bernard/Robard leaving the training ground fails whichever quest he isn't currently scripted to. Pinning galllows brothers on Andrew fails sheep in wolf clothing after already discovering or completely bypassing Andrew's involvement. All of these boil down to conflicting linear pathways; attempting to play both sides past a certain point isn't supported. If this were some philosophical statement by the devs it'd be more palatable, but it seems to simply be poor design and/or unintentional flagging unless I missed something. Brief searches returned hits to another quest where townsfolk start dropping dead that I didn't experience which may've provided a path, but introducing more variables into this equation in order to provide clarity seems counterintuitive.

Anyways, I bit the bullet and failed sheep in wolf clothing to salvage the other two. Perhaps a future playthrough will be smoother here after fixes, but the frequent railroading and shallowness everywhere from quests to character progression doesn't entice.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I just finished it. Boy, the whole game turns into an interactive movie that lasts from the moment you enter the monastery and until the end. You still have some chance to do open world stuff, but there is little point to, since at that time in the game you are swimming in cash, and the main quest is also trying to instill a feeling of urgency.

The interactive movie would not have been that bad, if the script was good and the acting/face and body animations were making the best use of the limited possibilities of the tech, a la Witcher 3. Alas, the acting is wooden, and the script is B-Movie grade.

The pacing and the Epilogue loredump was the cherry on the top. While it was interesting, for me personally, to learn the history and the motivations of the main actors, I was really already hurrying to finish the game by the time I got to the Epilogue. But the whole feeling of "let's just get this over with" took over me once I got frustrated with the monastery. Really that was the turning point.

As was already mentioned, there is no combat, skill, or economic balance to speak of in this game. However, it's tons of fun until you get too rich and powerful, and I will always use it as an example of a game that may be unbalanced but it's fun.

I noticed they have severely cut down on reactivity towards the end too - Henry almost got a choice in which way he will take part in the attack on Talmberg, but in the end he made a predetermined choice. Neither of the two guys you could surrender to the Bailiff in Rattay had any reactivity attached, though both seemed to hint there will be reactivity. Apparently there were plans for something there, but it was cut.

I admire the originality and boldness, and hope the majority of the bugs will be fixed, preformance improved, and new content will be better, move the story forward from the cliffhanger. I am not disappointed in how the story ended, although this is probably because I already knew that it won't be completely resolved by the end of the game.

Overall, I'd rate high and recommend to people, despite all the downers. This is a game you play for the story and role-playing, not for the gameplay loop itself. KCD relies much on the player to make it fun for himself, as opposed to make it into a grindfest. This means it has its own audience of players who will be able to appreciate it. The rest will keep ranting about balance and exploits, but they are missing the point and what the game is good at.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
The funny thing is I stopped haggling after the first 10 times I went to traders since I had enough money and traders are hardasses, and more importantly that the loading screens were far too long for waiting for the haggle screen to show up. It took me up to 15 seconds at times in large cities. I have a weaker PC with only 8gb RAM sure, but does a piece of generic dialogue "Let's talk about the price." seriously need fucking 15 seconds of loading?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom