Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Kingdom Come: Deliverance gets new alpha version, delayed to summer 2016

Turok

Erudite
A game that have all the fun stuff removed?

No thanks.

I don't recall Vavra or Warhorse marketing KCD as a game where everything would be interactive, ala Ultimas. They marketed it as an RPG with a historical setting, design and plot, realistic combat and horse riding models, open ended world and quests, and some nice realistic touches (having to eat, wearing clothing layers, etc). In fact, considering that they are using CryEngine4 and the level of graphical detail they are going for, I would imagine it would be pretty much impossible performance wise to have a ton of interactable objects in the game.

Also, while in an ideal world, I certainly like having that reactivity, it doesn't necessarily add much in every single game. Think about all the trash you can interact with in Bethesda games, but there is almost never any reason to.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well good point. Perhaps he already has plans in this direction and wants to become the Czech Fargo. He certainly has the character. Provided that Deliverance does not end up as uninteresting shit I would probably support HD3. Hell even HD2 is still good for another playthrough.

12 years and still looking great. What better game is there to demonstrate that larger textures are != art https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov9G_XPmk9o
And btw why does all this shit they made actually look so good? I noticed that almost all games which I find visually inspiring and remarkable are either French or Czech. Is there something with them still learning painting from old masters or something?

I love H&D and even the first one had amazing graphics and atmosphere for 1999. I remember the fog on the first mission, the distant whistle of the train and the sound of the rain, the lights through the fog...Some of the best set piece battles too...the sphincter clenching escape from the airfield in Lancaster, and the pursuit by 60+ Germans and a Tiger to get out by flying boat. Awesome stuff...the tense music...the 2 minutes you had to set up a makeshift defense. Wonderful stuff! The second was more refined and just as good. I remember the Africa mission where the Germans are fighting some beduins. 3 of my squad were killed in the first 5 minutes, the lone survivor, hid/ran/snuck past the German patrols to the end of the level and we 'made it'. 2 hours it took, but it felt so damn cool to do.

Also both games were long and varied. Back then devs didn't skimp on content.

They don't make em like that anymore...

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I don't recall Vavra or Warhorse marketing KCD as a game where everything would be interactive, ala Ultimas.

oh cmon. He was talking about open worlds and realistic design. But what is open world without world interaction? That's soulless shit, and unrealistic too.
Of course those people always want us to read between the lines what we want, and later tell us they never said it explicitly. But a console game, well that's pretty lame.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Here we have first historical RPG set in real world with absolutely no fantasy elements and what we get is

boring, shit, banal

Their striving for realism in some respects is countered by complete lack of realism in the characters' speech both heard and written.

Also, the first historical RPG set in real world with absolutely no fantasy elements should be Brytenwalda.

Darkzone

Arcane
Here we have first historical RPG set in real world with absolutely no fantasy elements and what we get is boring, shit, banal
Their striving for realism in some respects is countered by complete lack of realism in the characters' speech both heard and written.
Also, the first historical RPG set in real world with absolutely no fantasy elements should be Brytenwalda.
Yeah i was also for old czech language for the czechs, some turkish for the cumans, frĂĽhneuhochdeutsch for the germans, yiddish and hebrew for the jews, old polish in lesser polish dialect for the poles, old hungarian for the hungarians and latin in speech and written texts, that is only translated into english text, but i was silenced by the voices of many, that want spoken shakespearean english for the game.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Here we have first historical RPG set in real world with absolutely no fantasy elements and what we get is boring, shit, banal
Yeah i was also for old czech language for the czechs, some turkish for the cumans, frĂĽhneuhochdeutsch for the germans, yiddish and hebrew for the jews, old polish in lesser polish dialect for the poles, old hungarian for the hungarians and latin in speech and written texts, that is only translated into english text, but i was silenced by the voices of many, that want spoken shakespearean english for the game.
Original languages would have been simply amazing (Europa Barbarorum did this and I loved it), but what I meant was the wording of the dialogues. The characters talk like typical high fantasy RPG or a low-grade fantasy novel characters (I would have said Skyrim, but Skyrim's writing is already worse than this tech demo's). And before someone gets cute and reminds me that it's pre-alpha, sorry to break it to you but you need to wake up - such aspects as the style of writing never get revised during development. The developers are up to their ears in other issues they need to address to give writing any more attention.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
And before someone gets cute and reminds me that it's pre-alpha, sorry to break it to you but you need to wake up - such aspects as the style of writing never get revised during development. The developers are up to their ears in other issues they need to address to give writing any more attention.

If the devs debate now what kind of language they should write in then it kindda makes sense everythings gonna be written anew.

And writing in ancient 15th century dialects is retarded, not only because - who the fuck would write it?

Paul_cz

Arcane
Yeah it is not enough
Here we have first historical RPG set in real world with absolutely no fantasy elements and what we get is

boring, shit, banal

Just in the latest update Dan was talking about making the dialogue realistic, not holding back on swearing and simply writing it as close to real world as possible.
I am going to wait for final game before judging. Mafia 1 was written very well, impressively so with Vavra being some 24 year old youngin back then.
Brytenwalda is, from my googling, some kind of mod for Mount and Blade. I was not talking about mods.

Darkzone

Arcane
And before someone gets cute and reminds me that it's pre-alpha, sorry to break it to you but you need to wake up - such aspects as the style of writing never get revised during development. The developers are up to their ears in other issues they need to address to give writing any more attention.
If the devs debate now what kind of language they should write in then it kindda makes sense everythings gonna be written anew.
And writing in ancient 15th century dialects is retarded, not only because - who the fuck would write it?
There a quite a few people who can speak and write in old languages, my wife as a example has studied germanistic and therefore also Mittelhochdeutsch and FrĂĽhneuhochdeutsch. Also i'm most certain that you can learn Latin and in polish universities you may also learn old polish language, the same would go for czech and hungarian. So yes students or professors emeritus can earn extra money and give their love of this subject to the new generation via a new medium.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Why are people so retarded :(

I'd kill for a game where the characters speak real medieval languages.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There a quite a few people who can speak and write in old languages, my wife as a example has studied germanistic and therefore also Mittelhochdeutsch and FrĂĽhneuhochdeutsch. Also i'm most certain that you can learn Latin and in polish universities you may also learn old polish language, the same would go for czech and hungarian. So yes students or professors emeritus can earn extra money and give their love of this subject to the new generation via a new medium.

Yeah, if I put a lot of effort in I could translate some shit into medieval languages, and it would make the game awesome. It does raise the development costs a little bit though cause you need to find an expert in the language who can translate it. If all the voice acting is done in the medieval languages, it would reduce the VA budget a bit because the VA wouldn't need to be localized, so that's a good thing.

And yeah, historyfags like me would be all over the game.

Darkzone

Arcane
If you are interested in history then this facsimile of a document, that i have as a picture in work room might be interesting to you (Chinon parchment 17- 20.8.1308 from the vatican bibliothek):
ekhmav.jpg

I collect some interesting historical facsimiles, to hang them on my walls and naturally to read and translate them, if i can.

oh cmon. He was talking about open worlds and realistic design. But what is open world without world interaction? That's soulless shit, and unrealistic too.
Of course those people always want us to read between the lines what we want, and later tell us they never said it explicitly. But a console game, well that's pretty lame.

I am sure there will be some interaction with the environment: picking plants for alchemy, using anvils and other tools/contraptions, fishing in lakes, drinking and brawling in pubs, etc, many of which might not be in the alpha yet. So I wouldn't judge these things based on a very early tech demo.

But also, there are other more advanced features that can add a lot to world interactivity that will hopefully be implemented later, such as hunting animals and messing around with NPC schedules.

The Shattered One

Barely Literate
Oh come on! This game is not to be released for over a year and yet everybody here except myself is apparantly in possesion of reliable scrying mirror and has therefore visions of this game being failure. I fail to see the reason. There still a lot of time until it's out and we haven't been shown everything that!s being done. From who are the people working on it and from what I have seen so far I am very optimistic.

A horse of course

Core issue for me is: Will the combat be gud? I've watched some of the videos and I remain unconvinced. It could be an absolute disaster.

A horse of course

Needs vapourware tag
Could be released 'now' and then get another 6 to 12 months of updates because it was released in an unfinished or otherwise shitty state. Like say... WL2, DOS and PoE.

I would't call any of those games "unfinished", despite a buggy release. They were perhaps so poorly-designed or rudimentary that the devs felt they needed to REMASTAH them over time though.

circ

Arcane
Well not to compare those to some titles from the 90's that were playable sans patches, as there were exceptions even then, but. It took DOS several patches for additional companions. WL2's combat mechanics are in an unfinished state IMO. And PoE ah. All three titles also suffer from pacing issues in the story and chapters, so if not unfinished in the traditional sense, certainly rush jobs that could all have used another year of development, although I guess they had issues with finances running out - atleast in PoE's case.

I don't of course know how they run the development but I get this feeling as if planning hasn't been the strong suit in any of these projects. Sub-par combat that should have been one of the first things to tackle once mechanics were in place. Dumbed down systems.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

boring, shit, banal

Well, it's always something.

May be time to just recognize that RPGs as a genre are supposed to be predominantly Fantasy. In terms of motifs, its like a universal language that everyone in the world speaks. Non-Fantasy RPGs sell worse and receive no mercy critically.

Successful non-fantasy franchises like Fallout are, as btongue would say, lightning in a bottle. You can't necessarily expect them to happen twice, ala, Wasteland 2's comparatively subdued reception.

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

May be time to just recognize that RPGs as a genre are supposed to be predominantly Fantasy. In terms of motifs, its like a universal language that everyone in the world speaks. Non-Fantasy RPGs sell worse and receive no mercy critically.

Successful non-fantasy franchises like Fallout are, as btongue would say, lightning in a bottle. You can't necessarily expect them to happen twice, ala, Wasteland 2's comparatively subdued reception.
You realize Wasteland 2 has almost assuredly sold more copies than Fallout 1 did in stores?

Not to mention, there was another game before Fallout called Wasteland that must have sold pretty well for it's time.

I hear a few people bought those Mass Effect things too.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

You realize Wasteland 2 has almost assuredly sold more copies than Fallout 1 did in stores?

Not to mention, there was another game before Fallout called Wasteland that must have sold pretty well for it's time.

I hear a few people bought those Mass Effect things too.

Alright, alright, alright.

Now let's scale both of those things to the number of Fantasy RPGs that have been published. Or unit sales of all Fantasy RPGs versus all other types of RPG and see whether the entry access barrier is harder for a Fantasy RPG or an RPG of some other genre.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom