Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

ArchAngel

Arcane
I have spent a few hours yesterday watching multiple streams and game looks like a fun interactive movie. Probably would be better if one can cut out all the interactive parts that are boring and mundane and just leave the movie.

But I can safely say that buying this and for 60$ is pure waste of money and playing this is pure waste of time. I rather play a real game on my PC and watch this movie on twitch on my 2nd screen.

That’s really just the tutorial/prologue. There’s probably a full feature film in the first few hours, but after that there’s far more gameplay and far fewer cutscenes. It goes from a nearly 50/50 split to more like 95/5 once you get out and can start exploring the world.
I watched even after that ends and still it is mostly cutscenes or completely random and mundane wandering and waste of time (note that I don't like these games, I could not even play FNV for long because of too much waste of time between stuff happening; although this game seems to have even less gameplay).

Isometric games don't have such waste and I prefer those.

I hear you. I’m not normally a big fan of hiking simulators, which is why i’m so glad Warhorse made their open world fairly small. It’s not Gothic, but it’s far from bloated—not too much pointless walking/riding.

As for the cutscene to gameplay ratio, it’s really much better, but if you don’t like New Vegas then, yeah, you shouldn’t bother with any of these 3D ARPGs.
I don't bother, last one was Witcher 2 that I quit halfway. But they are fun to watch others play.

Paul_cz

Arcane
The team started at 20 , made the prototype, went to kickstarter, then 2K closed Prague office, so Warhorse hired around 30 people, then kept hiring throughout the development to current cca 120 people.
Budget closest estimate is 15 million USD.

Last edited:

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Wish they would put their effort into debugging and tuning instead of making 6000 cutscenes. Will probably get it after a year of patching in a sale.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
The team started at , made the prototype, went to kickstarter, then 2K closed Prague office, so Warhorse hired around 30 people, then kept hiring throughout the development to current cca 120 people.

In 1990's the budgets were 2 million and teams consisted of 10 people...... and no games today can come even close to quality of games from 90's, both in technical aspects and in gameplay department...... garbage

How hard would it be to make a nice looking UI?

baldur-2014-05-01-18-11-10-63.jpg

Even Fallout with very simplistic UI is more atmospheric than even the KCD garbage console UI

FALLO2TIP_002-large.jpg

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Wish they would put their effort into debugging and tuning instead of making 6000 cutscenes. Will probably get it after a year of patching in a sale.

You could say the aim of the developers is to deliver cutscenes "'til kingdom come"

Hey, but one thing is for sure. In my book Daniel Vavra is an idiot and he will never get one more cent of my money. We gave him lots of funds, lots of equipment and all he did was create a fucking popamol game. Maybe he should be in the movie industry, as a game designer I lost all respect for him.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The team started at , made the prototype, went to kickstarter, then 2K closed Prague office, so Warhorse hired around 30 people, then kept hiring throughout the development to current cca 120 people.

Interesting when you consider 120 people is approx 15 million dollars a year at 10k per person per month, and the development has many different costs. Personally I reckon that 15 is too conservative and 30 is probably the total spend, although hey voice acting is obviously budget

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

You could say the aim of the developers is to deliver cutscenes "'til kingdom come"

Hey, but one thing is for sure. In my book Daniel Vavra is an idiot and he will never get one more cent of my money. We gave him lots of funds, lots of equipment and all he did was create a fucking popamol game. Maybe he should be in the movie industry, as a game designer I lost all respect for him.

Guess it's true that western games are dead..... gotta wait till may for Dark Souls remastered for a gud geam, japs are still stuck at 90's so atleast we get games with gameplay from them.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Personally I reckon that 15 is too conservative and 30 is probably the total spend, although hey voice acting is obviously budget

Voice acting is half budget, half great. Some of the British actors they got could not have been cheap.

Guess it's true that western games are dead..... gotta wait till may for Dark Souls remastered for a gud geam

Waiting for a cynical, lazy, cash-grabby reskin of a 6 year old game that still looks perfectly fine.

Talks like a prestigious gamer, reveals himself to be a stupid dildo.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Interesting when you consider 120 people is approx 15 million dollars a year at 10k per person per month, and the development has many different costs. Personally I reckon that 15 is too conservative and 30 is probably the total spend, although hey voice acting is obviously budget

10k a month in an eastern European country? I very much doubt that, not even a third most likely.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

The gameplay really is not popamole at all. As for the proliferation of cutscenes, he didn’t hide the ball on this. Warhorse has been straight up about the fact that KCD would have lots of cinematic elements from day one. It’s from the guy who made Mafia FFS! I wish there were fewer in the early game, but Christ, they are some of the best directed cutscenes I’ve ever watched.

And again, I’m ten hours in and most of the cinematic stuff was in the first 3-4 hours. It was like Warhorse made a movie for the prologue and interspersed it with some tutorials. After the opening credits roll a few hours in, it stops being an interactive movie and turns into a real game. Not how I would’ve done it, but it does do a surprisingly great job of setting the scene.

No way were these people making 10k a month, not even half probably. Not in a million years. Prague wages are better than Poland wages, but they sure as shit aren’t U.S. wages, let alone California wages.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
10k a month in an eastern European country? I very much doubt that, not even a third most likely.

Depends on the job. Programmers must be costly as fuck, I imagine. But yeah, probably not even them earn 10k. For basic bitch scripters and QA monkeys, I'd say 2-3K at best.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Waiting for a cynical, lazy, cash-grabby reskin of a 6 year old game that still looks perfectly fine.

Talks like a prestigious gamer, reveals himself to be a stupid dildo.

You don't even know what you don't know

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Depends on the job. Programmers must be costly as fuck, I imagine. But yeah, probably not even them earn 10k. For basic bitch scripters and QA monkeys, I'd say 2-3K at best.

Good programmers, yes. But you only need 3-4 good programmers for such a game, and an army of graphic artists.

Which also explains why games in our time have become shit. Good programmers have left gaming industry and now is the time of the pink haired Unity users.

Btw, few good programmers have set up their own companies and make simulation games, you should check them out (something which I had originally thought Vavra was planning to do for the RPG market, and that's where my gripes come from, but alas .. ). But they often cost you hundreds and hundreds of $, that's the price of good game programming. So in a way, your original point is correct.

Did it just now. I still freeze up every minute or so. Game is fun when it works but towns are fucking infuriating due to the freezes. I think I'll refund it and wait for patches and a sale.

Yeah I've fixed regular stutters by limiting my framerate to number it never goes below but those freezes still happen from time to time. It's a shame, I'm getting really hooked on the game but this makes it seems like I'll have to wait for a fix.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Did it just now. I still freeze up every minute or so. Game is fun when it works but towns are fucking infuriating due to the freezes. I think I'll refund it and wait for patches and a sale.

I doubt it's anything on the game's side. Is your rig clean? A dude on the Steam forum said the game constantly restarts his computer.

My bet is your fan is all filthy, your GPU is getting overheated by all that glorious pepik Cryengine incline and shutting down.

Last edited:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

I doubt it's anything on the game's side. Is your rig clean? A dude on the Steam forum said the game constantly restarts his computer.

My bet is your fan is all filthy, your GPU is getting overheated by all that glorious pepik Cryengine incline and shutting down.

Stop being a little pussy and defending a broken game, towns are freezing for everyone

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Salary is not the only cost the company pays for.

Use a multiplier of between 1.3 and 1.7.

So guy with a salary of 5k€ can actually cost 8.5k€ to the company.

Sheepherder

Augur
Yeah I've fixed regular stutters by limiting my framerate to number it never goes below but those freezes still happen from time to time. It's a shame, I'm getting really hooked on the game but this makes it seems like I'll have to wait for a fix.
I have no problem keeping a stable FPS, and the game runs perfectly fine in the wilderness or anywhere else with fewer NPCs.

Nope, cleaned my rig two weeks ago and speccy reports that my CPU temp is at about 45-50°C. GPU is good too.

First of all, you are using words of another person to quote me. Me and him might be having the same problem but I still don't like it. On topic - I've been monitoring my GPU temperature and it barely goes above 60 C. If anything I would attribute these freezes to CPU/RAM.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
There is steam thread and game has problems allocating RAM that is why game is freezing.... which means BROKEN GAME, needs a patch, 2 weeks for next patch..... gotta wait

This is No Man's Sky level of technical problems all over again.

This is the last kickstarter project I ever bought :rage:

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ok just found this stickied topic on the Steam forum:

It seems that this game really struggles with RAM allocation. If you have 16 or more gb, use the command "-heapsize 2097152" in launch options. If you have 8gb use "-heapsize 1048576". this will allocate ram to be used as a cache for the game. For me it nearly doubled FPS and made it near constant (IE there were little to no lag spikes). Hope this helps!

jfc dont set a cache that''s bigger than about an 1/8th of your overall ram, it'll likely lower FPS rather than increase it.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
the band aid solution does not work everyone

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom