Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed King Arthur II : Katawa Legions

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Simple advice for lessening the effect of magick in KA: get a knight with the Soul Mirror skill (Sir Ywain for instance) and keep it switched on the whole battle. That will negate enemy spells, and if you feel cheesy doing this, you can just refrain from casting spells yourself and it should even out. :M

That was also my winning strategy in the late game. You do need a sage with a huge mana buffer to make it work though. This + having knight champion units with cleave and other associated skills that wrecked any enemy hero units in 5 seconds.

I haven't played KA2 much yet, but it feels like the tactical elements are a bit more fluid, if anything else. In KA1 it's ultimately all about spamming one or two end-game units, although I suppose the game has a nice progression about it. The middle game, when you have to conquer Wales or the Saxons, is nerve wracking. You'll definitively loose more men than in any TW game. Speaking of which, this series to me is superior to TW in style and content. TW and its multi-million award winning SEGA team and its goddamn shit ai. You can't jump around circles of the ai in this game when it drops lightning bolts on your ass for bazillion damage point

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Chapter 20: We march

01.jpg

Although the Sulla Heavy Cavalry is available, I decide to hold off buying them. I've no time to waste. I need to finish the Picts before the year ends.

02.jpg

val.jpg
Milord, the Senate has tasked us with stopping the Picts advance.
pub.jpg
We should move with haste, Commander.
val.jpg
I would propose we use our entitlements with the other families first. It seems strange that only the Sulla bears the cost of the war.
sep.jpg
I agree. Tell me my options.
val.jpg
I recommend we seek aid from the Caracallas. They know some dark magic. We can use it against the Pict, fighting fire with fire.
03.jpg

04.jpg

sep.jpg
It's such a paltry sum. I guess we could demand them to hand it over...bah. Just pay their price and take it.
07.jpg

pub.jpg
We should also acquire some additional troops from the Quintus family.
sep.jpg
What about the Messalas?
val.jpg
They're a waste of time. We can only demand gold from them. They are unwilling to commit anything else. The Severus on the other hand, is willing to provide us with armaments...
sep.jpg
Take both Quintus and Severus' aid. We march.

05.jpg

06.jpg

And so the Sulla army met the Picts near the ruined section of the wall.

08.jpg

Giants, accompanied by a horde of savages greet them.

09.jpg

The Quintus family honor their agreement, sending two unit of Legionnaries.

10.jpg

The Sulla Praetorians stand proud.

11.jpg

12.jpg

Taking the shrines would be crucial. It would give us additional offensive spell. Sulla Cavalry marches quickly to capture these two while the rest of the forces advance towards the center.

13.jpg

sep.jpg
Irksome beasts!
val.jpg
We should use our magic against it!

Septimus quickly invoked the scroll of the Shadows from the Caracallas family, but the enemy's magical resistance was not beaten.

pub.jpg
Never trust in magic.
sep.jpg
No. Never trust Caracalla's magic. Invoke the shrine of Jupiter!

14.jpg

A crack of lightning killed 40 of the talonkins. Leaving another 40 shocked, they quickly flap their wings to descend upon our archers.

15.jpg

We rain death upon them.

16.jpg

The Pict Horde advances.

17.jpg

Using the central ruins, we will create a line of defense there. The Archers will stay out of this. The fighting will be mostly close quarters and bringing them in will cause too many friendly fire.

18.jpg

sep.jpg
Beware the giants..leave them to us!
leg.jpg
Yes sir!

19.jpg

val.jpg
You're mine!

Valerius swung his blade, infused with lightning strikes.

20.jpg

Elsewhere, Septimus and Publius takes on ten giants at once.

21.jpg

A few giants escape the charge and threaten the right flank. The Praetorians form a line.

22.jpg

The left flank is potentially exposed, and several Praetors are pulled to defend it.

23.jpg

Valerius is unyielding...but the Picts still have much, much more.

24.jpg

The impact of the giant club against the ground creates a mighty shockwave, yet the warlord remain steadfast.

25.jpg

Even Septimus and Publius stood toe to toe with the large foes.

26.jpg

A second lightning bolt arrives, killing a few dozen Pict archers.

27.jpg

The left flank turns towards the center as the Picts diverted their move to exploit the gap. We shall not let them pass.

28.jpg

The lines are clearly drawn.

29.jpg

The Pict warchief, meets his end at the hand of Septimus.

30.jpg

Everything is going according to plan.

31.jpg

Quintus' Legionnaries earn their keep.

32.jpg

It's time to lay the finishing blow. Sulla Cavalry prepares for a rear attack on the archer columns.

33.jpg

A three pronged strike will finish this.

34.jpg

Eventually the Caracallas spells succeeds in penetrating the enemy's resistance and finishes the last archers.

35.jpg

The giants fell and the savages cower before the might of Eboracum's finest.

36.jpg

37.jpg

A glorious victory.

38.jpg

Septimus wastes no time, recruiting two Heavy cavalry to replace the two Light Auxiliaries as the autumn season draws to a close.

39.jpg

Training during winter, Septimus refines his blades.

40.jpg

Valerius perfects his Lightning Strike.

41.jpg

And Publius practices his cleaves.

A few member of our army has distinguished themselves.

42.jpg

These Sagittares deadly arrows are approaching epic level of destruction. (925 dmg :O)

43.jpg

The Lancers can be upgraded to deal more armor piercing or retrained for free. They hardly see any action, and I decide to go for armour piercing.

44.jpg

The Praetorians special ability will lower enemy magic resistance when they engage in prolonged battles.

45.jpg

As for the unexciting improvements, an apothecary is built to beef up the Praetorians healths.

The year finally ends..

val.jpg
Septimus.
sep.jpg
What is it?
val.jpg
Remember those escaped slaves during the uprising in your home province?
sep.jpg
What of them?
val.jpg
We found them.
46.jpg

47.jpg

sep.jpg
Is that all of them?
pub.jpg
I think so.
val.jpg
What shall we do with these slaves?
48.jpg

49.jpg

RK47

Patron
Chapter 21: Casting the Dice

sep.jpg
Return them to their rightful masters.
01.jpg

02.jpg

Septimus returns to the Forge that season and combines another artifact. However, the peace only returns briefly to New Rome. The Senate demands settlement to squabbles once more.

03.jpg

val.jpg
This is the perfect time, Septimus.
sep.jpg
Indeed.
pub.jpg
Take your time, Septimus. Make sure you prepare antidotes, you're entering a nest of Serpents.
sep.jpg
You're not coming with me to the Senate?
pub.jpg
My place is here with the army. Good luck.

You decide to spend your time usefully until the Senate is convened. You go through your speech again and make a list of all your possible allies and enemies.

04.jpg

val.jpg
We're here. But there's still time if you want Severus to make a supporting speech. His words never fail to rouse the Senate.
sep.jpg
Worth a try.
05.jpg

sep.jpg
All these concessions seem very...valuable. What if I offer you 4,000 gold as a token of goodwill?
06.jpg

Septimus turns towards Valerius, whose expression darkens.

val.jpg
No. We will not compromise on that. Anything but that.
sep.jpg
You've heard my friend, Severus. Take the gold.
sev.jpg
In that case I cannot promise you anything.

Severus gives a dismissive wave. You leave his house in a foul mood, knowing all too well that without the support of this merchant family it'll be much more difficult to have your way in the Senate.

sep.jpg
Greedy bastard.
val.jpg
We've misjudged him. He is too concerned with gold. Bloody merchants, let's go. They're about to begin.

The Senate is in session again. You wait until everybody is there, then you begin your inflammatory speech.

sep.jpg
Fellow Senates of the four houses. New Rome is in great peril. Chaos spreads throughout the provinces - tales of dark magics and monstrous Formorians plague the countryside. This I've heard from the famed Sentinels and the common folk. Not to mention the recent Picts invasion which the Sulla army is proud to repulse. I assure you, all these threats will continue to haunt Eboracum and if we want to end it permanently, we need a sole, strong leader to survive. Me.

07.jpg

08.jpg

cara.jpg
He used to be a commander, but he led his legions into death! His family was too weak to even handle their own slaves, who rebelled and destroyed their lands!

You feel the sour taste of fury in your mouth, but you know that it'd be useless to interrupt him in this uproar.

09.jpg

sep.jpg
You mean the plagues that your men started in Quintus' province? No wait, don't answer that question. I've fought in more battles than you, and saved Roman lives.
cara.jpg
Oh, you did...and you let hundreds of soldiers perish!
sep.jpg
Did I? Ask the Quintus family, who lent me two of their best legions in the battle against the Picts how many men they lost that day. No more than thirty. And the Picts? Over a thousand lay dead in the section of the wall which you left broken in your territory.
val.jpg
You've won this round, Septimus.
cara.jpg
People fell around Sulla like flies! Darkness and tragedy follows his every step! Who knows what sad fate will befall Eboracum if he's the governor?

Ovidius Caracalla pauses before continuing.

cara.jpg
Well, I know. Augur, stand forth and share your vision with us!
val.jpg
This is bad. The Augur is from the Messala family. One we do not have good relations with.
sep.jpg
Decadent scum... I should've let Pompeius die.
10.jpg

sep.jpg
And what does this epic vision entail, O Augur?

The augur casts a frightened glance at Ovidius Caracalla, then at you.

sep.jpg
Look at you, trembling. The Picts must be laughing at New Rome now...

Music: Baldur's Gate

After a long pause, he finally answers.

aug.jpg
The vision speaks clearly. Septimus Sulla has been cursed by the gods and he will destroy us!
sep.jpg
IMBECILE!

He can barely finish the sentence in the sudden uproar.

val.jpg
Septimus, control yourself!
sep.jpg
Fools. All of them!
11.jpg

sep.jpg
WHO AMONGST YOU HERE STANDS WITH ME? SPEAK NOW OR THE SILENT SHALL BE STRUCK DOWN BY THE SWORD OF SULLA!

"For Eboracum! For Septimus Sulla!" roars Horatius Quintus, and all his allies repeat his shout. Valerius smiles widely.

val.jpg
You can count on the Quintus legions.

The Messalas slowly leave the hall, showing that they want to get as far away from you as possible.

sep.jpg
Just you wait, Pompeius... A terrible fate awaits you.
val.jpg
There's no redeeming that man. Is that Severus? He's coming here...

Cornelius Severus walks up to you and bows his head. It's a clear sign to all his allies and family members that he will support you in the coming battle.

sev.jpg
Don't let me down, Septimus. I've got my money on you.
sep.jpg
It's a pleasure doing business with you.
val.jpg
I think we're done here.
sep.jpg
I agree.

Publius Carbo greets Septimus outside.

pub.jpg
I've heard the commotion and the Senators leaving in drove. What happened?
sep.jpg
Prepare for war. We'll reunite Rome under the Sulla family.
12.jpg

RK47

Patron
Chapter 22: Strive for Unity

Music: United We Stand

01.jpg

There will be war, indeed. The closest rebel province from the Senate is Messala's. Their arrows shall break before us.

02.jpg

03.jpg

An archer-centric army, the Messala private army is made up of their archer veterans. Unfortunately for them, our legion is well equipped to handle it.

04.jpg

A frontal assault with the Praetorians settles the whole fight as the Archers scatter in all directions, unable to fire back.

05.jpg

Their own legion is ill-trained and outnumbered. An easy victory for the Sulla.

06.jpg

sep.jpg
Twas' too easy.
val.jpg
Do not get too overconfident. We are headed for the Caracallas' stronghold now. They will be much more prepared.
pub.jpg
Let's hope we're prepared for their magics.
sep.jpg
I think the Sentinels can help.
07.jpg

A season later...

08.jpg

sep.jpg
At last. The day of reckoning.
pub.jpg
Well-fortified. Those shrines. And their mages. They will destroy us if we cannot break through the gates.
sep.jpg
Only one way in. I'll cut a path.
val.jpg
I shan't volunteer. Good luck, Septimus.

09.jpg

The first step is to secure the nearby Chain lightning point. Two enemy spearmen are already on position. Hopefully our own lancers and cavalry can overwhelm them.

10.jpg

Sulla archers line up near the wall, hoping to score some direct hits. This is ill-advised however, as the combination of lightning bolts and arrows from within cut them down rapidly.

11.jpg

sep.jpg
I SHALL BREAK THROUGH!
12.jpg

sep.jpg
HNGGGGHHH! Champions! TO ME!

Septimus Sulla rushes in alone. He is surrounded by the Caracalla's forces within the walls.

13.jpg

sep.jpg
Are you afraid?
cara.jpg
Kill him!
sep.jpg
You can try.
14.jpg

A massive shockwave throws back the defenders as Septimus charges into battle.

15.jpg

Bolt after bolt struck at the advancing champions. The Caracalla intends to destroy Septimus by trapping him and his champions at the gate entrance.

16.jpg

Meanwhile, Sulla archers are rendered ineffective by the constant spell bombardments.

17.jpg

They've lost an entire unit already.

18.jpg

The three Sulla heroes are surrounded. All hope looks lost.

sep.jpg
By the Emperor...
val.jpg
We need something drastic to clear those archers. They're murdering us!
pub.jpg
It's been a pleasure, Commander.
had.jpg
Foolish, child. I gave you that artifact.
sep.jpg
Hadrian?
had.jpg
Invoke the Wreath's magick! By lowering your magical shield, you can channel the Crimson Mist on your foes. Killing them quickly.
sep.jpg
I've nothing to lose!

Septimus fished the glowing piece from his belt and held it up high.

sep.jpg
By the Emperor's Blessing! I invoke the Crimson Mist!
19.jpg

cara.jpg
What is that?

A massive cloud of crimson swallowed the Caracallas archers whole.

20.jpg

The archers gasped for air and fell to the ground with blood flowing from their mouths.

cara.jpg
What magic are they using?! Kill them all!
21.jpg

val.jpg
It's working! We're breaking through!
sep.jpg
You go for the left walls. And I'll get rid of their wizard!

Septimus invokes another Crimson Mist, sacrificing his magic shield for death to his enemies. At this point, he knew nothing else matters.

22.jpg

sep.jpg
We've broken through! Go!

23.jpg

24.jpg

sep.jpg
Go ahead, delay your death if you wish.
cara.jpg
Kill him!

A lightning struck where Septimus stood.

25.jpg

cara.jpg
You're FINISHED, Septimus!

A blinding light as his personal guards scatter, sprawled to the ground. The Caracallas wizard laughed maniacally. And stopped.

26.jpg

sep.jpg
Yet here I stand.
27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

A massive bloodbath settled the feud between two families. One ruled over all when it ended.

pub.jpg
We've won!
val.jpg
It's over.
sep.jpg
Sulla rules over all!
leg.jpg
:yeah:
30.jpg

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The decisive battle vs Septimus in the full game is on the exact same map. And it is 30 times as annoying because you can only use your auxiliary army, instead of your powergamed ubermensch, and Septimus has loads of golems - motherfucking flying gargoyles that make capturing/recapturing anything a total pain (also, they rape the shit out of archers) and a bunch of colossi at the front gate that slaughter ANYTHING they come into contact with (but fortunately, they are so fat that they don't fit in the main gate).

There is absolutely no way of winning that battle without cheesing. If you don't have a unit with the ability that drains their HP instead of your magic shield to counteract the lightning bolt spam before you TRY to kite out the gargoyles with your fliers, you can very much say goodbye to your archers. And if you say goodbye to your archers, you are effectively dead, because not even champion heroes can take down the colossi in close quarters. You also have to exploit the colossi fatness and do a near-suicide run with a single champion to break down the stronghold gate and kill the enemy heroes before they fry your arse with magics. While at the same time frying enemy archers and gargoyles with your magic. Having something that flies is also vital to kite out and recap the lightning bolt shrines from the gargoyles.

Completely fucking insane battle. But in the end I kind of liked it, mostly because it was actually one of the only ones that was really challenging and needed a couple of restarts.

lightbane

Arcane
So, tell me: Is it a biowarian choice, or is it possible to rule New Rome without spilling the other Families' blood?

12.jpg

XTREMEE!!! Shepard Septimus doesn't need any puny siege engines, when he can destroy doors ten times his size with his bare hands.

RK47

Patron
Chapter 23: Sons of Romulus

New Rome is finally united under Sulla's banner. It is now time to wipe out other neutral states in the north.

01.jpg

Starting from Windmarsh.

val.jpg
Our spies have returned from the Fomorian territory.
sep.jpg
What news?
02.jpg

val.jpg
Nothing we cannot handle.
sep.jpg
Call the assassins. We'll attack once the deed is done.
03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

The savage beasts stood no chance against the might of the Legion.

06.jpg

07.jpg

Windmarsh is ours.

08.jpg

sep.jpg
The sleeping guardians of Rome? I cannot wait to unlock its secrets. New Rome will be invincible with such constructs in our army.
val.jpg
Septimus, a message from the Quintus family.
09.jpg

sep.jpg
Beast-men? Are you certain?
val.jpg
It's worth a look. If negotiations fail -
sep.jpg
We'll strike them down.

During winter - Sulla's Champions refine their combat arts.
10.jpg

11.jpg

A number of new territories have undergone development.

12.jpg

Winter ends - and the Sulla Army marches once more -

13.jpg

sep.jpg
The assassins are unavailable?
pub.jpg
We don't need those cowards.
val.jpg
They prefer to let a few battles pass before they strike again, lest they become too predictable.
sep.jpg
Hm. Cunning. Let's go.

The Deepwood Archers succumb to the Crimson Mist and Sulla's might.

14.jpg

The way to the beast man's lair is clear.

17.jpg

sep.jpg
The Quintus did not honor their bargain?
pub.jpg
What does that have to do with us? Slaughter these wretched beasts at once!
val.jpg
Do consider carefully, they could be a worthy ally.
18.jpg

19.jpg

Erebus

Arcane
There's no problem that can't be solved with a human sacrifice.

(If we're a bit tight on money, however, I vote for killing the leader.)

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Is the wolfbreed unit any good? Your army seems to be holding up pretty well so far. If they're sort of meh, I'd go for cutting down the leader. Establish yourself as the Alpha male. :salute:

If on the other hand the wolfbreed are amazing warriors, then pay up the Quintus' debt.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Is the wolfbreed unit any good?

No, they are shit. They are heavy infantry units that don't have heavy infantry class armour, which means they drop like flies. They can also morph into wargs and become even more useless.

So yeah, go X-TREME on their leader.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

RK47

Patron
Chapter 24: Greater Threats

sep.jpg
Pay them off. The rest of the region will chip in.
01.jpg

pub.jpg
What makes you so sure these beasts will be useful?
sep.jpg
Keeping them pacified seems like a good idea. Let's get that gold back. We're invading Redfields.
02.jpg

ED: If you're wondering how the Wolfbreed statistics compare to the Legion here it is:

04.jpg

They're really strong in melee and possess high damage reduction (DEF: 55) This isn't a bad purchase. And if Roxor is correct, they transform into wargs, to add high mobility and charging attack that can decimate archer columns. The problem here is, they take 10 seconds to transform and revert back. So changing at the start of battle will take 10 secs, and reverting back will take 10 seconds. Not a good deal when you're under fire. And they don't gain the 80% DEF vs Arrows. Legions are slower, but better in the long run. Besides, we have Heavy Cavalry if we need the extra fast punch. And now, back to the game.

03.jpg

The small kingdom of Redfields falls under control of New Rome. Yet, Septimus is not satisfied. The neighboring province will be taken as well.

05.jpg

06.jpg

They've earned back their lost coin.

07.jpg

Only three northern provinces remain outside Roman control. The allied Sentinels, The Brigantes, and the Balor Kingdom.

sep.jpg
Send the spies into the Balor Kingdom. I want to know more of the threat we're facing.
08.jpg

A season passes.

val.jpg
Septimus, the spy reports have arrived. Not good.
09.jpg

The Possessed Elite Archers are capable of striking at 1610 damage. Not to mention 973 HP. Triple that of our Sagittares!

pub.jpg
We'll be outmatched from range. What of their close combatants?
val.jpg
Do you really have to ask?
10.jpg

val.jpg
These beasts are capable of charging at our lines. I suspect our Preatorians will need to steel themselves if they are to withstand their assaults.
sep.jpg
And their basic infantry?
11.jpg

val.jpg
'Basic' is not the term I'd use for it. They may not have strong armor. But they are extremely strong in close combat.
sep.jpg
The Praetorian walls will hold them. You two and I will charge forward and clear the Horde.
val.jpg
I am not finished yet, Septimus.
12.jpg

pub.jpg
By the gods.
sep.jpg
Gentlemen we should retire for the night. I must think of a new plan to counter this threat.
val.jpg
Choose carefully, Septimus. We've never faced anything like this before. Succeed, and we'll be legendary.

That night, Septimus meets Hadrian in his dreams.

13.jpg

He awoke with the knowledge of Brigantes tribe. An ancient tribe of ritualistic druids. According to Hadrian, they will know where to find the Ninth Legion.

14.jpg

15.jpg

val.jpg
You are sure of this?
sep.jpg
Yes. Let's send the scouts in and make camp outside the forest.
16.jpg

17.jpg

val.jpg
Scouts have returned. According to them, the tribes dislike the legions. If you wish to meet this 'Lady' of yours, we should proceed in smaller numbers.
sep.jpg
Yes. That is a wise choice. Let's go, Publius, hold the fort. Valerius, and you two Praetorians, with me.
18.jpg

sep.jpg
Tell me, where can I feel her presence most vividly?
druid.jpg
There is a circle of stones north of here, where the embodied presence of the Lady holds court on certain occasions. When this happens, the local tribes gather there and worship her. They are preparing such a ritual.
sep.jpg
What ritual, may I ask?
druid.jpg
She is passing a sentence on a follower of the Old Fath. He was found guilty of questioning the might of the Lady and stole her greatest secrets.
sep.jpg
Thank you, sir. We'll go there right away.
19.jpg

The shape is female and otherworldly. You have never seen anything like her. Her voice is soft as the wind among the trees. Her gaze lingers on a cage where an old druid is crouching.

lady.jpg
Justice will be served soon. But first, I must talk to the son of Eboracum.
val.jpg
She knows you? Have you two met before?
sep.jpg
No...not really. Come. She's beckoning us closer.
val.jpg
Right...into the Witch's cauldron.
20.jpg

lady.jpg
The One that the Sidhe banished from this world is returning. Its warlocks come through the Wall to spread lies about me. You've slain many of them, so I will help you to find the road to the lost. Go east to the Bloodstones. Use this there.

She hands Septimus a blue crystal.

sep.jpg
I..thank you, my Lady. For your gift.

Septimus gathers his legionaries and leave the circle of the Brigantes.

val.jpg
Cryptic. You mind telling me what that was all about?
sep.jpg
We're to seek out the Ninth Legion. They've disappeared, but I believe now i hold the key to their return.
pub.jpg
We have the key, but where is this door?
sep.jpg
The Lady mentions Bloodstones. That can only mean the stone henge.

21.jpg

sep.jpg
Come, friends. Legends await us.

RK47

Patron
Bumping this to next page to prevent image overload.

RK47

Patron
Same as above

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom