Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Josh Sawyer plans to develop a historical RPG after his current project

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
True, but the speculation can still be weird.

You realize you yourself are pretty much solely responsible for the weird "Josh and Chris secretly hate each other" stuff right

Fairfax

Arcane

You realize you yourself are pretty much solely responsible for the weird "Josh and Chris secretly hate each other" stuff right
:lol:
You give me too much credit. This was already widely speculated before I registered, I just provided some clues. Also, I never said they hate each other. I just doubt they're friends, and they clearly don't see eye to eye creatively.

PS: I wasn't talking about you, by the way. You share Sawyer stuff pretty much matter-of-factly. It's the wild speculation that can be weird.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
What's worse though, shitposting in GD or writing a dissertation on the latest Bethesduh masterpiece. Are you gonna provide an addendum for upcoming DLCs?

Why would it be bad to write about video game mechanics?

imweasel

do you pray to saint emydius for +3% electrical resistance or saint michael for +1% critical hit chance?
Hopefully Sawyer will also learn some more high school math and differentiate between percentages and percentage points with proper mathematical notations in his next iteration of the Sawyer Garbage System™.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sawyer on murderhobos and plausibility: http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...=17931&perpage=40&pagenumber=13#post459004683

Josh Sawyer said:
The problem with that is that the setting you set your RPG in needs to have "adventurer" as an occupation that actually exists. Adventurers are not really believable in historical/real-world settings, your typical high fantasy is basically built to accommodate bands of mercenary grave robbers doing violent odd jobs for people in much the same way as Pokemon is entirely built around people solving all their conflicts with animal blood sport.

Mostly true but there might be more shading to that than you'd think. It depends on the kind of adventurer you're talking about and the era. If you look at Europe after the hundred years war for example there were thousands of wandering mercenary soldiers all over the place. Look up John Hawkwood.

Basically you have to posit a society flooded with wandering murder hobos, and some eras actually fit that description.

Murder hobos were all over Medieval Europe, honestly.

I think the issue isn't whether or not "adventurer" can be a profession, but in coming up with a solid reason for a group of people to come together and stay together. It's something that Ars Magica does a good job of (the Order of Hermes / covenants) and Darklands does not (unfortunately). Call of Cthulhu can also suffer from this. Why are this university professor, prostitute, baker, and private eye traveling around together? I mean, in most cases you won't really have to answer that question because they will all die horribly and/or go insane before long, but Delta Green does a better job of providing a narrative framework for folks to work together.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
So Sawyer's historical RPG would still be murderhobo adventures, built on the same generic framework for every CRPG ever but with HISTARY? Why do I even still have hope?

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
To be fair nobody in whole entertainment industry would commit such suicidal act.(except hatred devs) Nobody want to touch muslim theme. It can lead to explosion of negative reviews/articles etc. Remember PoE and tranny gravestone? Remember how it was blown out of proportion? Now imagine if someone find offensive if you kill muslims for xp. PR nightmare.

Looks like today you can say anything about Christians, bun nothing about Muslims. I'm iunderstand the second (motto "don't loose your head" explain it all) but first part...

Nonetheless it still remains an incredibly non-conservative Pantheon.

Hell yeah! Sawyer isn't a SJW, he just writes LGBT-Pantheon! :hero:

Though even if you look at all the possible wars and events you could cover just within Europe, and Europeans fighting against each other during the medieaval times, there's still not that many movies made about that time.

I think that it's not interesting for mass audience, the less intelligent mass audience is, the less less demand for these films.
Looks like something happen in 70th, audience has become more stupid an masse.

Delterius

Arcane
Why would you think that? I think we are pretty healthy with our stalking of Obsidevs 24/7.

e3kCV09.png

Telengard

Arcane
Ha! You can have Muslim bad guys. Just like you can have Russian or Chinese bad guys. The public reaction would be small potatoes, just like it is whenever Hollywood uses them. The issue for using them is not the reaction, but the complete and total intellectual bankruptcy of using such stock characters. Toss in a dumb blonde virgin damsel-in-distress, an evil highly-educated Englishman, and a heroic jock, and you will have completed the picture of sheer laziness. Unless your target audience are really, really, really dumb people, this is not the way to go. Because anyone else but complete retards are going to be bored off their asses.

That is, unless you're doing a comedy. Overused stock characters are ripe for comedy.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, after 10 year there could be some European country listed like that.
After 50 years it will be, without any exception half of Europe.
We live in times of great changes.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Unwanted

Manmower

Unwanted
Edgy
So Sawyer's historical RPG would still be murderhobo adventures, built on the same generic framework for every CRPG ever but with HISTARY? Why do I even still have hope?

TBH, Obsidian should just let him do it. Give him 10 people and 18 months, and let him have at it. It's plain as day that he hates high fantasy and engrossing narratives. For fuck's sake, the man said he doesn't want people playing his company's games, except when they have nothing better to do. I can't recall the whole quote, but it was something to do with electricity, or some such similar bullshit. I mean, why do the company bosses even torment him with these lead positions? Just let the man do his historical RPG, it might even come out really interesting if he pours his heart into it.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
TBH, Obsidian should just let him do it. Give him 10 people and 18 months, and let him have at it. It's plain as day that he hates high fantasy and engrossing narratives. For fuck's sake, the man said he doesn't want people playing his company's games, except when they have nothing better to do. I can't recall the whole quote, but it was something to do with electricity, or some such similar bullshit. I mean, why do the company bosses even torment him with these lead positions? Just let the man do his historical RPG, it might even come out really interesting if he pours his heart into it.
People keep repeating this mantra "give Sawyer freedom to make a historical rpg", but they don't understand what they're asking for. You assume too much. You assume that your interests and Sawyer's interests match like two genetic twins.

I was reading Mary Robinette Kowal's interview a while ago, and someone asked her for advice for aspiring writers and she just said "Write something you want to read". And this is exactly what Sawyer would do - he'd make a game that he wants to play. Most likely, you or anyone else here wouldn't want to play it.

Unwanted

Manmower

Unwanted
Edgy
And this is exactly what Sawyer would do - he'd make a game that he wants to play. Most likely, you or anyone else here wouldn't want to play it.

That's completely ok, and I'm fine with it. Let the man do what he wants to do. It's plain as day that he doesn't enjoy over-the-top Avellonian RPGs that the majority of us desperately want to play. I honestly believe that Sawyer has in him at least 1 good historical CRPG. A game he could be passionate about, and that would benefit from his attention to detail. It's not that he's a bad dev, it's just that he's a poor fit for epic narratives that hinge on larger-than-life characters and storylines.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
And this is exactly what Sawyer would do - he'd make a game that he wants to play. Most likely, you or anyone else here wouldn't want to play it.

That's completely ok, and I'm fine with it. Let the man do what he wants to do. It's plain as day that he doesn't enjoy over-the-top Avellonian RPGs that the majority of us desperately want to play. I honestly believe that Sawyer has in him at least 1 good historical CRPG. A game he could be passionate about, and that would benefit from his attention to detail. It's not that he's a bad dev, it's just that he's a poor fit for epic narratives that hinge on larger-than-life characters and storylines.
You don't get what I'm saying? The RPG he'll make - it'll be for him only. It won't be good or bad, it'll be more like something not from this plane of existence, something from DnD's Hades. It'll be a game about regional differences in pronunciation of the Walloon language and you'll die before finishing it.

I'm done explaining that. You don't want to get it - fine. Just yesterday in another thread people understood perfectly what Activision stood for after the company ruined ONE title. But after NUMEROUS titles Sawyer ruined you still don't understand what he is? This is some mental blind spot you fanboys have. I'm done explaining it. Hype yourselves all you want.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow, somebody was really triggered by the Navajo-German speaking tribals in Honest Hearts. :cool:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom