Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Josh Sawyer Pillars of Eternity Post-Release Interview at Gamasutra

I think people should really realize Obsidian really was fearful for the success of this game, they know how it works. They know how the world can give Homeworld to gearbox and create Thief4 and Dragon Age inqusition. They were fearful and you can feel the fear in POE. I still think they will surprise us with their next projects. I think its a very well put game made specifically for a Bioware Black Isle nostalgia trip. I think the big "return to earth waiting for the bus to go to work miserable" moment will sadly be tides of Numenera.

Tides of numera has a nearly impossible task, not just because of the quality of PS:T, but because the game development process isn't geared to produce that type of game. How does a game pitch work? A company might put forward a series of game ideas, and then a series of play mechanics. All things which can be replicated across multiple games, and which you can expect a solid craftsman to produce based on past output.

Then, when the game idea is set, they get their writers to do their best. Maybe the story might go through a bunch of revisions. But the game is not going to be handed to another company with a better story script - the team is locked in and we get whatever they produce.

Good writing can't be commercially produced under those conditions. A film studio might commission a dozen scripts, select the best, and then produce a film once a great script is in place. For a developer to have a reliable chance of relating PS:T, they'd need to do the same - make the writing the initial prototype that gets the project greenlighted, rejecting a bunch of proposals from different 3rd party writers and only committing to the project when a script is chosen, waiting years if necessary. Simply saying 'we're going to write a great game' doesn't mean shit - surely your writers do their best EVERY game.

Athelas

Arcane
surely your writers do their best EVERY game.
71-lpnwn2_ch069_064.jpg

DeepOcean

Arcane
surely your writers do their best EVERY game.
71-lpnwn2_ch069_064.jpg
Now... that is a creepy lady.:lol: Anyway I liked the Lord of the shadows (or whatever his generic as fuck name was.) magical construct protecting some old civilization that doesn't exist anymore is cool. PoE gods are kinda that way too, it would be nice if they were malfunctioning and Weidwen legacy was just Berath running out of fuel and getting crazy while you tought Thaos was the villain all along, he and his cult were just trying to fix that shit instead anyway... instead of the whole story depended on Woedica's petty power struggle(I didn't care.) and a bunch of pseudo philosophical nonsense (it was silly on PS:T already, here is silly and way too much.)... in the end Berath was going SHODAN on you going crazier by the minute and if you helped Thaos fix it instead of revealing the nature of the gods and ended the game getting drunk with Thaos that was really annoyed of being a babysit of the gods for 2000 years and wanted a break would be better.:lol:

"Watcher, you don't know the amount of bullshit I had to put up with all those years. This isn't even the worst, you wouldn't want to see when Margram gone crazy 1000 years ago, that bitch gone insane, I have nightmares with fires until this day."

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
I did not expect such a heated discussion in this thread. Looks like this is the one game that stirs Codex's emotions the most.

I have not yet finished PoE myself (struggling to do it before May 19th, still might succeed), but my impression is that people that post overall negative impressions ("haters" implies various things, and I do not mean those) of it, focus to much on the flaws, overblowing them in their heads, while ignoring the good parts. Darth Roxor's review is the epitome of this.

Or maybe people are just so spoiled by the abundance of great RPGs out there, that any flaws, regardless how minor, destroy all the fun they could otherwise have.

Or maybe people got so overhyped for PoE during the 2.5 years since its Kickstarer campaign that it could never reach quality level that would suit their expectations.

But it is probably just that different people enjoy different aspects of RPGs on various levels. This is a hugely varied genre like this - more than any other, probably. If someone enjoys X in RPGs the most (like, let us say, itemization), and that aspect is lackluster, it will shroud the quality of everything else and drag the whole experience down. And I get it, I have been there with Divinity: Original Sin and its story/writing. I just could not care about how awesome the overall design is if I got bored trying to "uncover" the murder plot by obvious necromancers - it just was not interesting to me. So, I guess, to each his/her own.
Let me explain why this got so emotional:
PoE apologist: Man, I understand you are disappointed but PoE would never reach the level of those terrible impossible games of the past, you have to accept it. The game is good, it's you that were over hyped.

"Hater": But I didn't have fun with it and I think it is a poor game on itself.

PoE apologist: Man, I understand you are disappointed but PoE would never reach the level of those terrible impossible games of the past, you have to accept it. You were over hyped.The game is good, it's you that were over hyped.

"Hater": Ehhh... I didn't have fun with it, it has too much flaws that are affecting my enjoyment.

PoE apologist: Man, I understand you are disappointed but PoE would never reach the level of those terrible impossible games of the past, you have to accept it. You were over hyped.The game is good, it's you that were over hyped.

"Hater": Ehhh... I mean, the plot has serious pacing, plot holes, presentation issues and convoluted pseudo philosophical BS, there are copy pasted boring trash mobs everywhere, the stronghold is a shitty facebook game, boring fedex quests everywhere, shitty itemization, there is lack of any meaningful reactivity not even Volo the bard to tell about your exploits and what people are thinking, there is lack of meaningful choices involving companions and on the main quest line and they seem barely connected to what is happening around them, the main quest is railroaded and they even samelessly recycled the railroaded fake trial of NWN 2, factions that would be better if they weren't there, Defiance Bay and Twin Elms are barely developed mostly having empty streets and sidequests of no importance and consequence. PoE feels like an unfinished game and Obsidian run out of money on it but that is hardly the first time that happens but I can't even give it the status of a flawed gem this time, its too unremarkable for that.

"Hater": Dude... are you in there?

"Hater": There must be something wrong.

"Hater": Hater after getting curious about what is happening to the PoE apologist, he pulls the curtain that separates both, on the other side he see a statue made of Adra holding a fragmented soul circling around a heart made of Obsidian, the tortured soul repeates the following words: "Man, I understand you are disappointed but PoE would never reach the level of those terrible impossible games of the past, you have to accept it. You were over hyped.The game is good, it's you that were over hyped."

Now he understands and leaves the room, leaving the struggle forever.

Grinning Reaper

I did not expect such a heated discussion in this thread. Looks like this is the one game that stirs Codex's emotions the most.

I have not yet finished PoE myself (struggling to do it before May 19th, still might succeed), but my impression is that people that post overall negative impressions ("haters" implies various things, and I do not mean those) of it, focus to much on the flaws, overblowing them in their heads, while ignoring the good parts. Darth Roxor's review is the epitome of this.

Or maybe people are just so spoiled by the abundance of great RPGs out there, that any flaws, regardless how minor, destroy all the fun they could otherwise have.

Or maybe people got so overhyped for PoE during the 2.5 years since its Kickstarer campaign that it could never reach quality level that would suit their expectations.

But it is probably just that different people enjoy different aspects of RPGs on various levels. This is a hugely varied genre like this - more than any other, probably. If someone enjoys X in RPGs the most (like, let us say, itemization), and that aspect is lackluster, it will shroud the quality of everything else and drag the whole experience down. And I get it, I have been there with Divinity: Original Sin and its story/writing. I just could not care about how awesome the overall design is if I got bored trying to "uncover" the murder plot by obvious necromancers - it just was not interesting to me. So, I guess, to each his/her own.
Let me explain why this got so emotional:
PoE apologist: Man, I understand you are disappointed but PoE would never reach the level of those terrible impossible games of the past, you have to accept it. The game is good, it's you that were over hyped.

"Hater": But I didn't have fun with it and I think it is a poor game on itself.

"Hater": Ehhh... I didn't have fun with it, it has too much flaws that are affecting my enjoyment.

"Hater": Ehhh... I mean, the plot has serious pacing, plot holes, presentation issues and convoluted pseudo philosophical BS, there are copy pasted boring trash mobs everywhere, the stronghold is a shitty facebook game, boring fedex quests everywhere, shitty itemization, there is lack of any meaningful reactivity not even Volo the bard to tell about your exploits and what people are thinking, there is lack of meaningful choices involving companions and on the main quest line and they seem barely connected to what is happening around them, the main quest is railroaded and they even samelessly recycled the railroaded fake trial of NWN 2, factions that would be better if they weren't there, Defiance Bay and Twin Elms are barely developed mostly having empty streets and sidequests of no importance and consequence. PoE feels like an unfinished game and Obsidian run out of money on it but that is hardly the first time that happens but I can't even give it the status of a flawed gem this time, its too unremarkable for that.

"Hater": Dude... are you in there?

"Hater": There must be something wrong.

"Hater": Hater after getting curious about what is happening to the PoE apologist, he pulls the curtain that separates both, on the other side he see a statue made of Adra holding a fragmented soul circling around a heart made of Obsidian, the tortured soul repeates the following words: "Man, I understand you are disappointed but PoE would never reach the level of those terrible impossible games of the past, you have to accept it. You were over hyped.The game is good, it's you that were over hyped."

Now he understands and leaves the room, leaving the struggle forever.

So, in your mind, this argument has been the people who hate PoE making extremely varied, well thought out, and reasonable arguments while the people who don't hate PoE have been repeating unfounded nonsense over and over again without listening to your points? Yeah, that's not delusional (in all seriousness, though, you are delusional). I would say that you need some help with reading comprehension, but honestly I don't think you lack the ability to comprehend the statements of those who disagree with you, you just lack the desire.

It was nice having you in "the struggle" though, I've heard it's very real. Keep fighting the good fight, soldier :salute:

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Now that I finished it, PoE satisfied me, its good looking, has some good combat most of the time, and fucking buff paladins and rangers Josh I mean it. I have no idea what people really expected. Its like codex people are expecting the passion of a EYE divine cybermancy, return to holy mountain crazyness, moebius concept art, soundtrack by Gods Angels the videogame.

Seriously however what kind of game would completely make codex regard it as 10\10?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Now... that is a creepy lady.:lol:

I don't know why people are so offended by the concept of Elanee. If I had a hot girl who never aged watching me all my life waiting for me to get to the age where she could fuck me, then finally the world around me matches my sense of inner greatness.

Anyway, isn't that what elves have always done in fiction? Even in Lord of the Rings, Arwen was like 3000 years older than Aragorn and had to have been acquainted with him when he was a child -- or easily could have been, since they both lived at the House of Elrond.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane

I don't know why people complain about the concept of Elanee. If I had a hot girl who never aged watching me all my life waiting for me to get to the age where she could fuck me, then finally the world has gotten with the program of my inner greatness.

Anyway, isn't that what elves have always done in fiction? Even in Lord of the Rings, Arwen was like 3000 years older than Aragorn and had to have been acquainted with him when he was a child.
Girl watching me all my life waiting for fuck with me:
KingMisery-thumb-330xauto-25111.jpg

:troll:

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

I don't know why people complain about the concept of Elanee. If I had a hot girl who never aged watching me all my life waiting for me to get to the age where she could fuck me, then finally the world has gotten with the program of my inner greatness.

Anyway, isn't that what elves have always done in fiction? Even in Lord of the Rings, Arwen was like 3000 years older than Aragorn and had to have been acquainted with him when he was a child.
Girl watching me all my life waiting for fuck with me:

:troll:

Fair enough, but Elanee's relatively benign as far as stalkers go.

Not to mention, she's an elf. Template from Northern European legend where mystical beings of considerable beauty jump Viking kings and heroes in bed without a word, effectively "marrying" them without any kind of ceremony or announcement or any of civilization's marriage-oaths.

Elves are supposed to be sexually perverse, in that, as timeless beings with a deep connection to nature, time and civilization and law don't matter much to them.

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
So, in your mind, this argument has been the people who hate PoE making extremely varied, well thought out, and reasonable arguments while the people who don't hate PoE have been repeating unfounded nonsense over and over again without listening to your points?

No, the point is that PoEfags can only come up with:

1. But I like it, that means it's good!!!
2. You expected too much (even though this is the best game ever), that's why you can't enjoy it!
3. HATERRRRR!!!!

In other words, typical fanbot/bethestard behavior.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
A true Codex member likes at least 4 of these 5 games:

Wizardry 6/7/8 trilogy
Jagged Alliance 2
Knights of the Chalice
Arcanum
Realms of Arkania: Startrail

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Arcanum.

Those who say they dislike it are either lying scum or not true Codex members.

Arcanum is probably the most often disliked genre classic on the Dex actually, just go to any thread on the topic (which Codex classic you don't like/couldn't finish) and you'll see mindless sheep repeating Arcanum, Harm and BMC mines one after another like a broken record.

Of course, I personally think they all have shit taste (and I have a sneaky suspicion that every Codexer who hates Arcanum also happens to have logged atleast 100 hours in crap like Skyrim) but point is Arcanum certainly isn't the game Codex universally likes, Fallout 1 may be the closest still.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So, in your mind, this argument has been the people who hate PoE making extremely varied, well thought out, and reasonable arguments while the people who don't hate PoE have been repeating unfounded nonsense over and over again without listening to your points?

2. You expected too much (even though this is the best game ever), that's why you can't enjoy it!
3. HATERRRRR!!!!

You have logical arguments from some of the critics, including in the Roxor review, but from the apologists, it's mostly hysterical reciting of the same line over and over. I haven't seen a concise defence of PoE's mechanics' state (which is unfinished) or counter arguments to any of the criticism it has been given on the Codex.

Rake

Arcane

3. HATERRRRR!!!!

You have logical arguments from some of the critics, including in the Roxor review, but from the apologists, it's mostly hysterical reciting of the same line over and over. I haven't seen a concise defence of PoE's mechanics' state (which is unfinished) or counter arguments to any of the criticism it has been given on the Codex.
Me too. I expect Grunker's Review will fix that to a degree, but until then...

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera

3. HATERRRRR!!!!

Another Obsyhater.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
If you continue your excessive one-liner shitposting in GRPGD and News, especially in News, you will soon find yourself unable to post anything at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom