Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

JA2 and Win10

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Man, the fact that someone hates an operating system so much as to sit and write a list of bullshit to promote his thoughts, is amazing. We live in an era of wonders indeed.
In other news, Win10 are fine apart from specific functionalities as always with new versions of Windows. They are though much faster than 8 or 7 which is great since I'm working on them daily.
Also personally, I only had issues with running Distant Worlds: Universe which I solved kinda easily in the end.

All the rest are too much edge for no reason - or just because something is new and we hate it. Which is fine I guess but..

Tomatohead

Learned
I recently reinstalled JA2 1.13 and had some issues with it on Win10. However after googling around I got it working both in windowed mode and fullscreen and I played it on few occasions. But my brain is empty, I don't really remember what I did. I need to check my bookmarks if I see something which reminds me.

But now after not playing for 1+ months launching the game it complains "cannot automatically change desktop color depth to 16 bit" and doesn't start... I haven't changed anything regarding my launch shortcuts. This is really weird.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
I recently reinstalled JA2 1.13 and had some issues with it on Win10. However after googling around I got it working both in windowed mode and fullscreen and I played it on few occasions. But my brain is empty, I don't really remember what I did. I need to check my bookmarks if I see something which reminds me.

But now after not playing for 1+ months launching the game it complains "cannot automatically change desktop color depth to 16 bit" and doesn't start... I haven't changed anything regarding my launch shortcuts. This is really weird.
I run into this sometimes, not all the time. Usually I use "reduced color mode" under compatibility settings. No idea why it works sometimes and not others, could be gfx drivers or win10 updates...but often this fixes it. Between the ui, the difficulty, and issues on modern OS, this has been one of the most frustrating games to play...I give it a mission once a week or so.

ShadowSpectre

Arbiter
If you have a gold-pack CD copy of JA2, usually when it installs it will let you play without a CD in and runs great. I don't know about adding 1.13 to it, but vanilla works fine so long as you don't alt-tab.

Severian Silk

Can you run Wine on Windows? How does JA2 play in Wine?

Tomatohead

Learned
There are Wine wrapper libraries ported for Windows. They help with old games on occasion. I don't think I have used that if I'm sure about it. I think there was an issue with Wined3d where as older version of the dll files was needed in order for JA2 to work. But thing is that I have had lot of stuff happening last couple of months and I really can't remember what I did with JA2 :shittydog:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/wined3d4win/

What I have been using more often is dgVoodoo2. It's neat wrapper to use when game is supporting old directx games to make it work in better fashion. Or to work around some gimped stuff happening. Like here, fixing Splinter Cell rendering (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpos...490be2d9075b465b929&p=227791143&postcount=178).

http://dege.freeweb.hu/

I did lot of testing with some titles. I managed to get ReShade working on Wizardry 8 and also on Might & Magic VI. This is just a test to show the reshade stuff on M&M6, I like to play with CRT stuff. dgVoodoo2 complains about virus (at least my Firefox did not sure what will happen now) when downloading it but I can assure you it's clean. I have done numerous malware tests on the binaries.

2HEajYP.jpg

I'm going to try to do some more testing with JA2 at some point, hopefully this weekend.

Also not related to JA2 but I was hoping at some point to try to use one of these on Grimoire to see if it can help with windowed rendering. I like to play in borderless window and so on as well. But I'm not sure as it's pure GDI application.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom