Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

IWD 1 total-conversion module for NWN 2

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
But to be completely honest the NWN2 graphics really are a major turn off. That UI too...a full inventory with all those tiny, unidentifiable icons, Ugh. And for some people the bloat that is the 3.5 character system really isn't a plus.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
But to be completely honest the NWN2 graphics really are a major turn off

Graphics can never be a major turn-off. Never.

And for some people the bloat that is the 3.5 character system really isn't a plus.

I have taken this debate so many fucking times I'm not inclined to do it again, but talking about bloat when comparing something to fucking AD&D - the definition of system design bloat - is absolutely hilarious.

That UI too...a full inventory with all those tiny, unidentifiable icons, Ugh.

The UI isn't that bad, although it does sucks. What I hate the most is the camera, and how the combat is sloggish and targeting horrible. These small mistakes makes the combat really tedious... but I liked SoZ somewhat. I dunno.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Oddly enough the camera never bothered me that much. It really requires a whole of adjusting all the time but you get used to it. Granted I only played after they supposedly patched it so I don't know how much of a shock it was initially.

the combat is sloggish and targeting horrible. These small mistakes makes the combat really tedious...
Oh yes, I failed to mention this but it's what makes me quit NWN2 everytime I try to play it. If you fail to make combat enjoyable in a D&D game, well... IE games had their issues but at least the fights were fast and satisfying. Even the simple things like a crit or a fireball spell felt really good.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
IE games had their issues but at least the fights were fast and satisfying. Even the simple things like a Crit or a fireball spell felt really good.

200px-Aerie.jpg

Oh my!

Murk

Arcane
If the encounters are designed in exact copy, that might be doable... albeit the difference in combat makes it less interesting. I guess if I still had NWN 2 and all its shit installed I'd give it a swing but I just don't have the patience to reinstall everything.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
personally, i simply just can't be assed to go through the horror of NWN2 combat UI, targeting and camera again. Especially when they balanced it around a party of four.

Murk

Arcane
Eh, it's a pain, I agree. What bothers me is the lack of control over combat as it goes off. This could be a UI issue or not. In IE, I never had issues controlling what was going on -- in NWN 2, controlling more than 1 character is always a pain; especially as the game progresses to the point of powerful magics and SoD effects.

If someone could modify the camera and control so it is basically a top down or pseudo-isometric view with RTS style controls, I'd be super stoked. Their current built in versions fail to achieve that in a satisfying manner. In no small part because selecting units kind of transposes you, like a ghost, into that character instead of the way IE just sorta filled the variable slots of actions with their specific ones.

Oh well.

sigma1932

Augur
Why no one makes that sort of conversions for ToEE?

ToEE's appeal is in the mechanics of gameplay (more specifically, phase-type turn-based combat), rather than the setting/story/etc.-- and the mechanics of gameplay won't transfer over to NWN2's engine, while the story/setting/non-mechanical content are relatively forgettable... not bad, persay... just forgettable-- non-memorable...

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
ToEE's appeal is in the mechanics of gameplay (more specifically, phase-type turn-based combat), rather than the setting/story/etc.-- and the mechanics of gameplay won't transfer over to NWN2's engine, while the story/setting/non-mechanical content are relatively forgettable... not bad, persay... just forgettable-- non-memorable...

He's hopefully talking about converting other games to TOEEs engine, which is indeed a great idea.

Unfortunately the TOEE engine is a buggy, modder's nightmare mess.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Exploration mode with marque selection is the only proper way to play NWN2. Top down isometric view just doesn't work. Those who are still bitching about the camera making the game "unplayable" are probably still tying to play the game in isometric mode. The engine simply isn't made for that. Obsidian shouldn't have even bothered trying to give us an isometric option. As it is, its just there to torment us.

sigma1932

Augur

He's hopefully talking about converting other games to TOEEs engine, which is indeed a great idea.
Outside of 3E rules, I could get behind that.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Why didn't they just convert IWD to IWD2 engine? You get 3ed rules with the same art and interface as the first game.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Why didn't they just convert IWD to IWD2 engine? You get 3ed rules with the same art and interface as the first game.

Impossible, sadly. Icewind Gate has been trying to port BG2 to IWD2's engine for a long time. Too much hardcoded stuff to be done.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Impossible, sadly. Icewind Gate has been trying to port BG2 to IWD2's engine for a long time. Too much hardcoded stuff to be done.
You'd lose all the mods for the very questionable value of 3rd edition multiclassing. It's probably very doable for Icewind Dale 1 if you're basically redoing all their scripts since they don't have any mods anyone cares much about.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

You'd lose all the mods for the very questionable value of 3rd edition multiclassing. It's probably very doable for Icewind Dale 1 if you're basically redoing all their scripts since they don't have any mods anyone cares much about.

According to Asc and the guy who did Icewind Gate, it wasn't possible.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
They're probably only considering the mechanical regex approach.

cutterjohn

Cipher
But to be completely honest the NWN2 graphics really are a major turn off. That UI too...a full inventory with all those tiny, unidentifiable icons, Ugh. And for some people the bloat that is the 3.5 character system really isn't a plus.
...that's because it was a slightly updated NWN1 engine, with just about all the drawbacks and less $$$ spent on developing it and the OC/expansions...

RT to me was more egregious. Retrofitting RT onto a TB gaming system was just assininely pandering to console kiddies who'd NEVER play it anyways... Although it simplified MP... OTOH TB can more readily become pseudo-RT than RT can become pseudo-TB, and so... lazy devs... crap AI(because of RT), etc.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
would kickstart Eternity Engine remake of IWD1 and 2. i know i'm not the only one who would... :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom