Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

IWD 1 total-conversion module for NWN 2

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
[URL]http://neverwinter.nexusmods.com/mods/31[/url]

31-1-1331318382.jpg

31-3-1331318382.jpg

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Who'd choose Neverwinter's engine over Infinity?

god i hate those conversion projects. I can't think of a more pointless waste of talent.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Didn't we already have exactly the same thread about a year ago?
Anyways,
1. Take a game whose major selling points are beautiful visuals and halfway-decent combat system.
2. Rebuild it using an engine that looks like shit and has terrible combat mechanics

Why?

Gord

Arcane
The engine is alright, but the (artistic) capability of the authors might be the problem.
Also, while I think NWN2 + expansions was quite good and could potentially produce very good looking scenarios with decent gameplay, nevertheless I feel that the gain over the old Infinity Engine games is too small to really justify a project like this.

Edit: Although I admit that I might be interesting for people who want to try the game without buying/pirating the original. And it's certainly a lot of work they put into it.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I don't understand the point of this kind of thing either; it's probably just to be able to say 'we did it'.

Infinity was occasionally quite beautiful, especially in IWD2. "Converting" an already good game based on it to the horrible Electron engine is doing it a disservice, and a great one at that.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Why doesn't anyone convert MotB or SoZ into the Infinity Engine? Maybe then I could enjoy them.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Was discussed already. Strong contender for the "why the hell would anyone want to play that?" award. I mean, sure, if the people behind it wanted to learn NWN2 modding without coming up with game design of their own, good for them. But actually playing it that way?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Could have wasted their time joining project ressurgence or something.

Misconnected

Savant
Next time the hivemind feels like organising donations for a kickstarter, I have an idea: we can write a browser extension that translates text into logograms of some dead language and sell it to the kinds of modders that start projects like this. I bet they'd pay their own bodyweight in gold to get their hands on something that horrifically backwards.

... Seriously, what the hell? I mean, it's too much fucking work to qualify as trolling or plain old vandalism. I'm at a complete loss to understand why anyone would do something so... Elaborately stupid.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I'd much rather see the Icewind Dale games and Torment get the Sword Coast Stratagems treatment.
It should be a lot less work to.

Murk

Arcane
I'd be inerested in playing IWD 1/2 in a well implemented 3.5 ruleset, but for that, ToEE plz. Hell, you could even use the same backgrounds!

Funny thing is, Icewind Dale is easily the best looking infinity engine game to date so I have completely no idea why anyone would want to port it to engine that is inferior to original in every aspect but graphics (and even that could be subject of a debate). God dammit modders, stop fucking around and start making ToEE modules.

Erebus

Arcane
My opinion has always been that IWD sucked, but I gotta to admit : it almost certainly doesn't suck as much as a NWN2 adaptation of IWD would. Way to go, guys !

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I wish you guys were this bitchy and critical about those kickstarter games. Would certainly make me feel more at home.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
BUT THERE'S BLOOM OR HDR OR WHATEVER

Not to mention a vastly surperior character system with far, far more customization and interesting mechanics. Typical Codex to focus on the grafixx, though.

That said, the engine is infinitely (lolololol) worse. IWD is a fun dungeon crawler, and it would only be improved by a better character system, but fuck... NWN2 is nearly unplayable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom