Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software It's another Demon's Souls thread god damnit

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

Actually, if Storm King had a corpse run similar to Bed of Chaos, I think it would be comparably bad. At least Bed of Chaos doesn't force you to kill stupid trash flying mantas first and then stand around doing nothing as the boss circles over the sea. It's a blessing that he can't actually kill you, though.

All of these, though, are strictly inferior to Executioner's Chariot on the "set piece bossfight" front.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
What's wrong with Executioner's Chariot? I thought the battle was quite fun.

edit: I assumed your post was ironic ;)

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So, at last I completed the game:yeah:
798563969_1053841.gif
798563969_1053841.gif
798563969_1053841.gif

The hardest boss was probably Flamelurker because he was pretty quick and very aggressive.

Maneater(s) was okay, but he managed to pull me off the bridge twice.

I liked the concept that the 3d level of every world was a boss encounter without running through mobs. Maiden Astraea/Garl Vinland encounter is great (so is Silver Armor).

The atmosphere of the game is great, though it has fewer memorable locations compared to DaS. Though some of the content was re-used in DaS, I mean the bosses and location design.

The world tendency is an interesting mechanic, but with always-white online tendency it doesn't work properly. And I didn't like the fact that if you kill some of hostile NPCs, you get -tendency, doesn't make sense.

The upgrade/crafting system is too complicated and the materials are hard to get. Luckily the path I've chosen (Crushing) is pretty easy to complete since Scirvir gives you a purestone. Though I've spent some hours farming chunks.

Overall, a very solid and addictive game. Ans a must-have/one of the best exclusives for PS3.

Gozma

Arcane
Did anyone else that went from Dark Souls to Demon Souls find this way less fun/interesting? I've played to the second boss in about half the worlds and it's boring the hell out of me. Flamelurker is the only decent boss so far (although he's unfortunately cursed with an arena with pillars when you don't honestly need them like against O&S) and the stages are stuffed with boring/annoying shit like the manta ray things. And PK has been even weaker than Dark since Demon's uses a much faster animating healing item that counts a split second after they start the animation because of lag so people just hammer it.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Nah, I thought it was just as good and had a really creepy/cool atmosphere. Kind of different, too. Less... melancholy, more... eery.

The bosses weren't anything special though, I guess. Except for the last one, and the one in the swamp.
You should at least try to play until you get to Latria 2. That is a fantastic level that should be played to be believed.

Gozma

Arcane
I thought Latria 1 looked cool and felt spooky at first but it really went on and on. It was like a Silent Hill game where you go down corridor after corridor in some simulated institutional building fighting the same enemies and opening doors. And the boss was awful. I messed around in Latria 2 but used the homeward bone equivalent while I was still in the gargoyles and interchangeable walkways/towers section because I figured I'd do the first part of every world, then the second, etc.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, do Latria 2... if that doesn't impress you you might as well drop the game.

This is probably a better game for those of us who value atmosphere more than other things. I do, so my top games are games like SS2, Thief, DaS/DS, PS:T, NieR, Fallout, Majora's Mask, Etrian Odyssey, Arcanum... games that ooze atmosphere.

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I gave up on console RPGs for quite some time, but decided to check and see what I missed the last few years for the PS3. After checking out this forum and with some local friends that know their CRPGs, I ended up buying Demon Souls, Darks Souls, and Ni No Kuni with the intention of playing them in that order.

So far I am playing a knight in Demon Souls and am up to level 31. I usually do not like online play as I find it a nuisance in most games, but here I do like how online players can leave notes and hints for one another and you can use the blood you find to see how people have died and avoid the same pitfalls. The fact you are viewing their shades adds to the creepy atmosphere instead of breaking the 4th wall.

After several attempts I finally got past a few levels of the beginning world by killing off a Tower Knight, but some fog would not let me continue unless I beat a world boss. I have yet to pull that off. I went to the world with the strange alien miners and the insect creatures (and Dune sandworms), but some fiery demon keeps kicking my ass. I got frustrated for awhile, but then discovered that the other worlds aren't all that hard. I also tried a world with a lot of plagues and poison, but seriously, fuck that place. I'm grinding at the Shrine of Storms for levels and Sticky Stuff (imbues weapons with magic abilities). I can't beat the big fat demon there, so I figure I'll buff up some and try again against the fiery demon in the world with the bugs and worms.

I like how each different world has items that help you in other locations, as the item hunting makes grinding and revisiting locations more tolerable. I also like how the game really doesn't hold your hand, and each enemy is unique in the manner in which you have to deal with them. It makes for a more difficult experience, since you can't really on any one set of tactics. In a lot of ways the game reminds me of the action game for the Genesis called Chakan the Forever Man, with its themes of death, various strange worlds you had to visit for item farming in order to progress into further levels of corresponding worlds, and sheer difficulty. So in short, I am enjoying myself and finding the experience to be quite addictive.

Elwro

Arcane
Well, I did manage to finish DS3 while I found DD to be appalling from the start, so another vote for this.

But I wouldn't say DS3 is a good game; it has some good ideas but also a few really boring treks. I'd concentrate on the Souls games ;)

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My friend is offering me his PS3 for 100 euros, and I can get Demon's Souls for 20 online. The only other games I want to play are RDR and MGS, former I can get for 10 euros, latter's master collection for 27. Worth it?

Last edited:
I got a ~150$ PS3 JUST to play DeS last year... I guess if you're into Dark Souls and have never played its predecessor then it's worth it.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I love Dark Souls, but hate DS2. That's more because of the mouse and keyboard contols though. Demon's Souls seems gorgeous, and I *am* looking for moar Dark Souls. I guess I'll do it.

It was worth 150 just to play DeS for you?

Yeah I ended up playing DaS2 on release as well since it didn't come to PC until a month later.

I was really fucking disappointed with the fixed 720p resolution though. Load times can be atrocious too. I have recently put in the cheapest SSD I could find and was surprised to see a huge difference in loading times. PS3 has a SATA (150 mb/s) controller so you wouldn't think that 7200 rpm vs SSD would be that much of a difference.

Anyway, I really enjoyed DeS even though the story/lore and area progression were really different. Otherwise, the gameplay experience was nearly identical.

Edit: oh yeah, this was also my first (then current-gen) consoletard experience. Took me a while to get used to the controller and the shitty stretched graphics (i played on a 1080p native monitor through HDMI).

Is this a bug?

I think it's the move you get when you press Forward + R1 when using a fist weapon. I guess the devs intended for it to work like push or kick and for some reason set this attack to stun everything. It also seems like Light Weapon adds damage to these attacks, so yeah, it has to be a bug. They still haven't patched the stockpile thomas duping glitch or the infinite consumables glitch in DaS1. The caestus roll punch still works in DaS2 as well. FROM don't have good reputation with bug fixing.

Ivan

Arcane
Can anyone confirm when this was used? It sounds like it might have been used in Latria, but idk.

Or maybe the Monumental's expositional cutscene?

Ivan

Arcane
FIRST ENCOUNTER WITH MANEATER

OKAY LET'S FUCKING DO THIS

it creeps towards you with its luminous eyes*

BRING IT, ASSHO-

*get knocked off the stage*

:hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::hmmm:........:x:x:x:x

meanwhile, maneater is all like
:codexisfor:
little does he know there are two of us

Elwro

Arcane
Maneater was the first case in which a guy wrote me a longish message using PlayStation Network thanking me for helping him with the boss ;)

I raged myself. Difficult one.

Lol its not difficult fight and its fuckng shit compared to gargoyles from Das. Just stand in the middle and run around that big fire. its also bugged as fuck fight. Two times in a row maneater got stuck under the bridge with no way to reach him and during mine third atempt he simply flew away:retarded:

Anyway i just read at neogaf that Des had supposedly pixelperfect hitboxes:lol::salute::M:retarded:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom