Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Is Fallout: New Vegas a worthy Fallout game?

Is Fallout: New Vegas a worthy Fallout game?

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
OMG NV HAS SUCH BORING AND TRY-HARD WILD WEST THEME PARK LOCATIONS IT IS SO SHITTY
fallout_44.jpg
fallout_45.jpg

fallout_38.jpg
fallout_39.jpg
fallout_40.jpg
fallout_41.jpg

mormon%5B5%5D.jpg
mormon2%5B5%5D.jpg

01sign-real%5B6%5D.jpg

01sign%5B2%5D.jpg
niptonsign%5B2%5D.jpg
niptonstore2%5B2%5D.jpg
plane%5B2%5D.jpg
plane2%5B2%5D.jpg
prospector%5B2%5D.jpg
prospector2%5B2%5D.jpg

store%5B2%5D.jpg
store2%5B2%5D.jpg
tower%5B2%5D.jpg
tower2%5B2%5D.jpg
38top%5B5%5D.jpg
38top2%5B5%5D.jpg
car%5B5%5D.jpg
car2%5B5%5D.jpg
golf%5B5%5D.jpg
golf2%5B5%5D.jpg

Last edited:

Black Angel

Arcane
But cmon Sulik, Cassidy, Vic, Marcus... I don't think there was another game that had so memorable and interesting companions ever.
One thing that I found weird, however, is the amount of talking heads to be found in F2 was significantly less than that of F1's.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
But cmon Sulik, Cassidy, Vic, Marcus...
I disagree. Cassidy is just some random dude, no better than Tycho from F1. Vic is a bit more interesting but him following you is rather moronic. He's an old guy, not that good in fights (unless he has gauss gun but it's OP weapon) and a bit cowardly - I just don't see him going after Enclave just because. Myron is interesting too (and with one of the best voice actors I've heard) but he also isn't someone who would follow you in a long term (he would shit his pants the moment he would see a deathclaw and run to Mordinos). Then we have Skynet and Goris which shouldn't be companions (in fact they shouldn't exist). And there's Marcus but after he joins you there's not much interaction with him (he will sometimes comment something very briefly). There's also K-9 and the dog in cafe of broken dreams but they're shitty too. Only Sulik is "excellently done" but I still prefer Ian. In Fallout 1 every follower had a better reason to follow you IMO (every one of them knew how to fight, weren't that old and weren't that long in one place, one of the reasons why I find it hard to believe that Marcus would just leave everything and go with CO).
Generally I don't disagree with you about the motivations of each character..But the fact alone that we can so easily talk about them and their motivations proves how memorable and unique they were imo.
Probably again that has to do with the more "comic book" approach of F2 but still.. You'll remember Vic for the old fart he was or Myron for being a weakling etc
That's why personally I consider them the best companion roster ever.

Lhynn

Arcane
As i said before, new vegas was a labor of love, you can see this almost everywhere.

Nowhere is this more evident than on Old World Blues and Dead money. Showing two very disctinct locations that highlight just how great the setting can get.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i don't have the energy to get into the why or to defend my opinion but i think it's pretty obvious to anyone who is the least bit discerning and objective about it that NV features the most fleshed-out and best written companions out of all the FO games.

seriously, there is literally no copmetition if we're talking about game world building or characterization. FNV was a real Master Work in the classical sense; i.e. a work exuding the best qualities a of an Art Studio painted/done by a member of the Studio deserving of the title of Master.

note that a master work and a master piece are different things.

other people can explain why the NV characterization (and other such relevant things) are one of the main arteries that pump blood into the beating heart of the game much better than i can, although i'm sure i'll get like 20x "prosper" or "dumb" ratings.

Lemming42

Arcane
Yeah, the NV companion lineup kicks the shit out of 1 and 2. With the exception of Marcus and also Myron, who is the greatest character in the franchise.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
Yeah, the NV companion lineup kicks the shit out of 1 and 2. With the exception of Marcus and also Myron, who is the greatest character in the franchise.
Always thought Sulik to be the best/most memorable character in the franchise, though i do like Myron and especially Marcus, being a TNG fan and all.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i would love to go on a real world fallout: new vegas location tour and visit every single one of the locations that were used for the game. NV was the game that reminded me how much a story and narrative and characterization mattered in an RPG after years of only playing combatfag games.

it was also the game that ended up being my ex-gf's gateway into RPGs in general and we played through it together and all of the DLCs and together we both probably clocked 1000 hours of play time on it and since it was her first ever RPG she became very invested in the F: NV world and characters and we would do "research" on the game and contribute to the wikia and read Sawyer's formspring together and it was a great experience. if the game had been of lesser quality none of that would have happened. she ended up playing through FO1 on my insistence afterwards but it didn't hook her like NV did and she said, flat out, that its characters and conflicts and motivations and such... were simply not as complex or as interesting as the dynamics in NV. i agree with her.

of course later she broke up w/ me and to this day i can never replay any fallout game ever again as it is too painful and it reminds me too much of those experiences. i don't think such strong emotional attachments would've been possible if the game were shit.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
New Vegas doesn't do the Hoover Dam any justice. You really have to go there to know how big it is.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
New Vegas is incredibly good for what it is.

I mean, it's a Gaybryo game with Josh Sawyer as the lead designer. It's like if a baby was born to alcoholic parents from Chernobyl with Huntington's disease and Down syndrome.

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
New Vegas is incredibly good for what it is.

I mean, it's a Gaybryo game with Josh Sawyer as the lead designer. It's like if a baby was born to alcoholic parents from Chernobyl with Huntington's disease and Down syndrome.

Without Sawyer, it wasn't probably even possible to release the game on time.
The Alcoholic parents were abandoned booze for a quite while :M

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
NV companion NPCs are great but they are fucked up from the Bethesda engine of doom.
One companion limit and all the weird bullcrap make them feel awkward.
Also as a more specific taste, I'd love it if they said some comments along the way according to location. I haven't noticed that at least if it happens

Endemic

Arcane
Also as a more specific taste, I'd love it if they said some comments along the way according to location. I haven't noticed that at least if it happens

They do. Veronica and Arcade in particular. Also it's 1 human + 1 non-human (the dog or robot).

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
the only companion where they dropped the ball was with the female nightkin and even she has an interesting backstory. i could honestly not decide between NV's companions as to which are the best as they all shine in something. EASILY obsidian's best companions in any of their games. E-A-S-Y.

however to make things simpler one can reduce the criteria for which companions would allow the most plot-related interaction/content and then the choice becomes much easier, it owuld be between:

- veronica (without her it's not even worth doing anything BoS related and her interactions w/ them add a lot to the overall experience of the game; plus later on her interactions with the Followers also literally makes that faction)

- boone (his boo-hoo backstory is nicely paced and his hatred of the Legion makes choosing him as your traveling buddy a much different experience throughout the campaign)

- ED-E (c'mon... what is there to say? it's fucking ED-E baby)

- Cass (she isn't as strongly tied to a faction as either Veronica or Boone so a playthrough with her won't be "shaped" by her to that extent as with those two but she offers continous interaction, albeit lightly, with almost all of the major factions in the campaign and she always has at least one or two things to comment about whatever is happening. Her backstory/development is also nicely paced, although not as well paced as Boone's, so having her along will be rewarding from beginning to end... just in more subtle ways than with Ver or Boonie)

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
i'd love it if they said some comments along the way according to location. I haven't noticed that at least if it happens

If i recall correctly most companions occasionally comment on some certain locations or some other NPCs. Cass was saying something about the place every time you visit a major location.
Tbh I'm like only in the middle of the game and had only Boone so far, with a bit of Cass currently. The thing is also that you get so easily strong that I don't feel I actually need somebody with me, I just get them along for the fun of it :P

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Cass also quotes F. Scott Fitzgerald in one of the possible her ending slide so... more points for her.

Cass lived to see Hoover Dam in its Old World glory, humming with power the likes of which the Mojave had never seen. Vegas burned brighter than ever, securitrons filled the streets, and Cass's heart skipped... just a little. Her last words were to the Dam - and to herself. "We were going full speed ahead... but facing backwards the whole time."

pippin

He also has special triggers. I think most of them are related to NCR quests though. He will react positively if you rescue the crucified troopers at Nelson, for instance.
Most if not all human companions in New Vegas have a personal "score" which will trigger steps in their personal quests. You can do most of them at your own pace, though. In the case of Raul you will have to do certain steps in order, but that's nothing a few console commands can fix if you don't mind cheating. Same with Veronica. If you delete the data from the vault with the plants before you meet her, you will lose one of her quest paths. Same with the HELIOS station, you must fix it to be a weapon again (the one you take from the kid in Freeside), if you don't, you're fucked (iirc she must also be present when you do that).
If you carefully plan everything, you might be able to do every companion's side quest without too many problems. Other than those examples and a few more, they don't really cancel each other.

the only companion where they dropped the ball was with the female nightkin and even she has an interesting backstory. i could honestly not decide between NV's companions as to which are the best as they all shine in something. EASILY obsidian's best companions in any of their games. E-A-S-Y.

The only negative aspect that I can think of is that most human companions side with the NCR. But that's nothing, imo.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Jimmious

having evne just 1 single companion completely breaks the game's difficulty. For once, this is not Obsi's fault and it has everything to do with having had to work off FO3 mechanics (enemies will always target your companion first therefore you are practically invincible because you eliminate them in VATS while they go for your OP companion).

i recommend downloading mods that increase the difficulty of the combat such things as:

- a mod that reduces backwards walking speed (backpedaling) by 50% or more so that the player cannot simply run backwards and shoot the enemy (there are many mods that do this).

- a mod that increases damage multipliers for body parts, and obviously including increased dmg for headshots. a nice 2x multipler for all damage, based off Very Hardcore obviously, makes for a nice Beginner's Difficulty imo.

- mods that depower companions' stats.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom